Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Simple changes to reward systems to vastly improve game's appeal.


Recommended Posts

Player dedication is often powered by reasonable, predictable, and achieveable rewards. Difficulty of acquisition being the variable aspect of reward system but not it's certainity.In short if you put in a certain amount of work, be it your earned gold to buy a skin on tp, or clearing hard content -appealing reward must be certain with RNG being a chance to bypass the full procedure but never the sole method of acquisition.This however does not seem to be the case in many points of the game still.

Want sunless weapon? RNG baby, nothing else. No achievement or tokens to get Teq hoard after x amount of runs or doing achievements.Want Dark Matter Cape? Tough luck - whale it with gems cause it's account bound (why? It's not an achievement for bragging rights), rather than being tradeable on tp like black lion weapon skins where the lucky or rich can meet the hardworking who got ingame gold and make a trade like human beings.

Just to name two simple examples among many. A-net should really rethink their policy on what is account bound and what's not, and add currency/achievements to stuff that is pure RNG at the moment to actually incentivize players to invest their time into game, knowing their effort will not go in vain!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen complaints go both ways. Some people hate having to "grind" tasks or mats to earn a reward, even if it is certain in the end with enough effort or gold or whatever.Others, like this, conplain about the few things that are a like....super rare one in a million drop.

Really feels like you can't make anyone happy. I'll agree it would be nice if you could at least buy all of those sorts of things from other players, the ones that are account bound, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's just so RNG. Someone in the Guild has had several precursors drop, some multiple times, and yet other accounts are extremely lucky to get even one drop. I know they say there is no luckier accounts, but can feel like those who get lucky, do so more often, which it shouldn't if it supposed to be random and chance.

And other accounts are left with no decent drops or rewards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:Want Dark Matter Cape? Tough luck - whale it with gems cause it's account bound (why? It's not an achievement for bragging rights), rather than being tradeable on tp like black lion weapon skins where the lucky or rich can meet the hardworking who got ingame gold and make a trade like human beings.It'll be added to the statuette vendor in a few months like every non-mount skin from the chests is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:Player dedication is often powered by reasonable, predictable, and achieveable rewards. Difficulty of acquisition being the variable aspect of reward system but not it's certainity.In short if you put in a certain amount of work, be it your earned gold to buy a skin on tp, or clearing hard content -appealing reward must be certain with RNG being a chance to bypass the full procedure but never the sole method of acquisition.This however does not seem to be the case in many points of the game still.

Want sunless weapon? RNG baby, nothing else. No achievement or tokens to get Teq hoard after x amount of runs or doing achievements.Someone needs to explain to me why something as low-effort as Teq should be providing guaranteed ascended weapons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Ototo.3214" said:I've seen complaints go both ways. Some people hate having to "grind" tasks or mats to earn a reward, even if it is certain in the end with enough effort or gold or whatever.And then end up grinding as much if not more hoping for the slim chance that they'll ever see that ultra-rare drop (spoiler: most of the time that hope gets unrewarded).

@mindcircus.1506 said:Someone needs to explain to me why something as low-effort as Teq should be providing guaranteed ascended weapons.Because it would probably still end up requiring more effort than several other, guaranteed ways of obtaining ascended weapons that already are in this game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:Player dedication is often powered by
reasonable, predictable, and achieveable
rewards. Difficulty of acquisition being the variable aspect of reward system but not it's certainity.In short if you put in a certain amount of work, be it your earned gold to buy a skin on tp, or clearing hard content -
appealing reward must be certain
with RNG
being a chance to bypass the full procedure
but never the sole method of acquisition.This however does not seem to be the case in many points of the game still.

Want sunless weapon? RNG baby, nothing else. No achievement or tokens to get Teq hoard after x amount of runs or doing achievements.Someone needs to explain to me why something as low-effort as Teq should be providing guaranteed ascended weapons.

Why should fractals raids pvp wvw or crafting provide guaranteed ascended weapons?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Ototo.3214" said:I've seen complaints go both ways. Some people hate having to "grind" tasks or mats to earn a reward, even if it is certain in the end with enough effort or gold or whatever.And then end up grinding as much if not more hoping for the slim chance that they'll ever see that ultra-rare drop (spoiler: most of the time that hope gets unrewarded).

@mindcircus.1506 said:Someone needs to explain to me why something as low-effort as Teq should be providing guaranteed ascended weapons.Because it would probably still end up requiring more effort than several other, guaranteed ways of obtaining ascended weapons that already are in this game?Then by this logic, the direct silver rewards and the materials gained from salvaging the drops already do provide a path to ascended weapons from this encounter.@Crystal Black.8190 said:@mindcircus.1506 said:

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:Player dedication is often powered by
reasonable, predictable, and achieveable
rewards. Difficulty of acquisition being the variable aspect of reward system but not it's certainity.In short if you put in a certain amount of work, be it your earned gold to buy a skin on tp, or clearing hard content -
appealing reward must be certain
with RNG
being a chance to bypass the full procedure
but never the sole method of acquisition.This however does not seem to be the case in many points of the game still.

Want sunless weapon? RNG baby, nothing else. No achievement or tokens to get Teq hoard after x amount of runs or doing achievements.Someone needs to explain to me why something as low-effort as Teq should be providing guaranteed ascended weapons.

Why should fractals raids pvp wvw or crafting provide guaranteed ascended weapons?Are you really equating the effort needed to participate in these activities to the effort needed to autoattack a world boss?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:Because it would probably still end up requiring more effort than several other, guaranteed ways of obtaining ascended weapons that already are in this game?Then by this logic, the direct silver rewards and the materials gained from salvaging the drops already do provide a path to ascended weapons from this encounter.Not to the
Tequatl
weapons though.

But if you want to go that far, you can always try to compare Teq to other sources of gold. Like Silverwastes.

@Crystal Black.8190 said:Why should fractals raids pvp wvw or crafting provide guaranteed ascended weapons?Are you really equating the effort needed to participate in these activities to the effort needed to autoattack a world boss?Well, crafting definitely doesn't require any more effort than this. In many ways, it requires far less.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we are going to make comparisons to other content ...What about Teq vs Shiverpeak Strike? ;)

On the other hand that is a stupid comparison because the thing that matters is the skin not the ascended part but on the flip side it depends on how many tokens are required per weapon/skin. What is a reasonable amount of time to take to get one of these? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? I knew someone who did it daily for 3 months and got 0. Is that reasonable? Most people will probably be getting only 1 token per day so it is just a matter of deciding on a cap and setting that as part of the cost. It could still have some other cost component too. Also this is a failsafe mechanism so the cost being higher than an expected average time to get one would probably be okay as well. It could also be balanced by having a chance to get more than one token per roll. They could also be integrated into things like World Boss Rush events.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:Want sunless weapon? RNG baby, nothing else. No achievement or tokens to get Teq hoard after x amount of runs or doing achievements.Want Dark Matter Cape? Tough luck - whale it with gems cause it's account bound (why? It's not an achievement for bragging rights), rather than being tradeable on tp like black lion weapon skins where the lucky or rich can meet the hardworking who got ingame gold and make a trade like human beings.

Complain about lack of tokens for Teq then immediately ignores the tokens for the BLC items in the next sentence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Khisanth.2948 said:If we are going to make comparisons to other content ...What about Teq vs Shiverpeak Strike? ;)

On the other hand that is a stupid comparison because the thing that matters is the skin not the ascended part but on the flip side it depends on how many tokens are required per weapon/skin. What is a reasonable amount of time to take to get one of these? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? I knew someone who did it daily for 3 months and got 0. Is that reasonable? Most people will probably be getting only 1 token per day so it is just a matter of deciding on a cap and setting that as part of the cost. It could still have some other cost component too. Also this is a failsafe mechanism so the cost being higher than an expected average time to get one would probably be okay as well. It could also be balanced by having a chance to get more than one token per roll. They could also be integrated into things like World Boss Rush events.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:Want sunless weapon? RNG baby, nothing else. No achievement or tokens to get Teq hoard after x amount of runs or doing achievements.Want Dark Matter Cape? Tough luck - whale it with gems cause it's account bound (why? It's not an achievement for bragging rights), rather than being tradeable on tp like black lion weapon skins where the lucky or rich can meet the hardworking who got ingame gold and make a trade like human beings.

Complain about lack of tokens for Teq then immediately ignores the tokens for the BLC items in the next sentence.

And are tokens certain? I mean are you sure that this particular item will appear in Black Lion Statuettes vendor at all?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Ototo.3214" said:I've seen complaints go both ways. Some people hate having to "grind" tasks or mats to earn a reward, even if it is certain in the end with enough effort or gold or whatever.And then end up grinding as much if not more hoping for the slim chance that they'll ever see that ultra-rare drop (spoiler: most of the time that hope gets unrewarded).

Slightly confused, and a bit late on the reply, but the part you quoted was me more referring to like...crafting a legendary weapon, which isnt really an ultra rare drop that you have to rely on chance for, as even the precursors are tradable.

Like I said in the part you cut out though, I do agree that the account bound things that are rare drops, like the Teq hoard, should probably have some way of obtaining them aside from chance. Preferably obtained via a method that involves doing the content that the drop comes from a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:If we are going to make comparisons to other content ...What about Teq vs Shiverpeak Strike? ;)

On the other hand that is a stupid comparison because the thing that matters is the skin not the ascended part but on the flip side it depends on how many tokens are required per weapon/skin. What is a reasonable amount of time to take to get one of these? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? I knew someone who did it daily for 3 months and got 0. Is that reasonable? Most people will probably be getting only 1 token per day so it is just a matter of deciding on a cap and setting that as part of the cost. It could still have some other cost component too. Also this is a failsafe mechanism so the cost being higher than an expected average time to get one would probably be okay as well. It could also be balanced by having a chance to get more than one token per roll. They could also be integrated into things like World Boss Rush events.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:Want sunless weapon? RNG baby, nothing else. No achievement or tokens to get Teq hoard after x amount of runs or doing achievements.Want Dark Matter Cape? Tough luck - whale it with gems cause it's account bound (why? It's not an achievement for bragging rights), rather than being tradeable on tp like black lion weapon skins where the lucky or rich can meet the hardworking who got ingame gold and make a trade like human beings.

Complain about lack of tokens for Teq then immediately ignores the tokens for the BLC items in the next sentence.

And are tokens
certain
? I mean are you sure that this particular item will appear in Black Lion Statuettes vendor at all?

Every other item has. What makes you think this cape is so special that it won't?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:And are tokens
certain
? I mean are you sure that this particular item will appear in Black Lion Statuettes vendor at all?

Every other item has. What makes you think this cape is so special that it won't?Although to be fair, sometimes you need to wait for a really long time before the item shows up in the vendor for the first time, and, as the past items are on rotation, you're never guaranteed it will be available when you actually want it. It's entirely possible, that by the point you will gather enough Statuettes, the item will be gone from the vendor already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...