Best DPS builds for Revenant

Kichwas.7152

@Kichwas.7152 said:That seems good in solo content. In group content that toughness boost is going to make you a hyper focused target by NPCs, which dramatically reduces survival odds. I know they say toughness is only used for aggro in raids - but I've found having a toughness of even 1021 from a single back item can make me the near 100% target in dungeons and fractals and very often the target in open world group events. Just shedding that small bit from an old back item upped my survival dramatically on several characters.

My characters with actually notably high toughness - holdover gear from the Pre-HoT days when I thought Knights was the best gear, or some level boost alts with soldiers... found it just as bad. As much as 1800 toughness, get hyper-focused and while with scores like that open-world gets easy, in dungeons you get so much aggro you get over-whelmed.

Trailblazers looks like a gearset I would only dare use in solo play, or use in WvW where you can toss out conditions into a zerg and they will be distracted enough by the crowd to not cleanse them.

toughness has its strengths and weaknesses and it definitely doesn't make you survive better if you don't understand it, i agree on that. i run around with notable toughness and usually get all the aggro, even if i never engaged in the fight while others did so. however i run full regen with lots of additional passive heals and that is where toughness shines: it boosts your heal. constantly healing 500 HP with incoming hits of 2k is a big difference to constantly healing 500 HP with incoming hits of 3k, as you heal a hit in 4 ticks instead of 6 and therefore need less evades. on the other hand toughness is useless against condis so don't let the rare burn spammer get you.

in any case if you would've killed the mob on glasscannon stats even with just 1 hp left, any vitality, toughness or healing power is wasted unless it allows you to spend significantly less time dodging and more time attacking ...

@"Kichwas.7152" said:

That seems good in solo content. In group content that toughness boost is going to make you a hyper focused target by NPCs, which dramatically reduces survival odds. I know they say toughness is only used for aggro in raids - but I've found having a toughness of even 1021 from a single back item can make me the near 100% target in dungeons and fractals and very often the target in open world group events. Just shedding that small bit from an old back item upped my survival dramatically on several characters.

If toughness is that bad, how most of builds, classes and players soloing team content (from fractal bosses to OW champions, bounties and ever raid bosses) run so oftenly builds totalling 3.5k to 4k armor?

Here's a 3K armor dire/trailblazer Weaver soloing the Verdant Brink Night Bosses Trio:

A 3.5K armor Soulbeast soloing all kind of content:

> And from the same channel you can find Hizen doing the same kind of content with a 3.4k armor Cavalier/Valkyrie Firebrand, a 3.2 armor Cavalier/Knight Spellbreaker, a 3.2k armor trailblazer Weaver or a 3.5k armor  trailblazer Herald. If high sustain "tanks" are able to deliver damage enough to complete alone content designed to be hard to 5+ players (sometimes even with time limit) I fail to see how running full glass cannon stats makes the thing easier, specially in the named case of a Renegade build based in the use of shortbow.

@Buran.3796 said:

That seems good in solo content. In group content that toughness boost is going to make you a hyper focused target by NPCs, which dramatically reduces survival odds. I know they say toughness is only used for aggro in raids - but I've found having a toughness of even 1021 from a single back item can make me the near 100% target in dungeons and fractals and very often the target in open world group events. Just shedding that small bit from an old back item upped my survival dramatically on several characters.

If toughness is that bad, how most of builds, classes and players soloing team content (from fractal bosses to OW champions, bounties and ever raid bosses) run so oftenly builds totalling 3.5k to 4k armor?

Having been a tank in every other MMO I've played - that's what I used to say too. I had a blog for builds, not updated since before HoT, where I call out all of the people and glasscanon builds and note how much 'better' my tanky build is for open world and dungeons... Then I started paying attention and realized that I was the person most often in the downed state, and with every patch I seemed to get more and more of the aggro. Somewhere after raids came out I started getting ALL of the aggro - and not in raids, but other content.

And when I got rid of my toughness my ability to survive went up dramatically.

As time has gone on they have way over-tuned the aggro impact of toughness. And it just doesn't give you the ability to do something like handle the entire damage input of a fractal or dungeon fight. In open world it also gets dicey because the more people show up the more chaotic it gets. Some of these things are easier solo than in a group if you're the one with primary aggro - it's a bowl curve, with the solo side rising a little lower than the zerg side. Look at how bounties sometimes fail because too many people showed up. You want enough people to spread the damage but not so many that you ramp it up too much - but if you're there with massive toughness - the damage never spreads but even with 2 people it has ramped up a little.

One of the key things to note in the examples you post is that they're soloing open world content - they're no added chaos, and open world just doesn't hit the same way as even dungeons, let alone fractals.t

In fractals - take a given fractal pull with a lot of enemies in it - now have them ignore everyone in the group but one person.

@Kichwas.7152 said:Then I started paying attention and realized that I was the person most often in the downed state

then you must've done a lot wrong to be honest. as stated before i run a build with high toughness and i very often engage in group content scaled up to big damage. i do get the main focus but that does never mean i'm the one downed. in fact i am more of a rezzing machine on rev because rev can facetank basically every threat for a short duration while rezzing. the more toughness the longer. if the group wipes i mostly still get away alive without problems. that said i never stay at the back, i'm full melee and i tend to stand for extended periods in normally lethal fields without dying.

if you run a glassy build with toughness and complain that you get downed so often it's not the stat's fault but your build's ... or your lack of movement and knowledge of your survival skills. without further information i can't judge your skill or build, all i can say is that a revenant, especially a herold, with toughness in open pve is hard to kill.