Getting too expensive?

First of all, you need to pay sub money on mount skins, because the original ones are ugly. After that, the character slots are just too expensive, costing $10 per slot. You realize there are people who want to play every race and sex combination? That's a lot of $10 bills. And with the expansion coming out, we'll need to upgrade our PC hardware. I think Guild Wars 2 is too expensive for me... which is a shame, because this is the best online game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This post is so hilarious.

Skin is cosmic. Game is not unplayable.Character slot is expansion. Game is still playable without having every professions and racesI have been playing gw2 for 3 years and have not spent another dollar after the game purchase. And I am having 9 toons which are all 9 available professions

I am also playing on a very basic laptop.

• Confused 1

@Mortifera.6138 said:First of all, you need to pay sub money on mount skins, because the original ones are ugly. After that, the character slots are just too expensive, costing $10 per slot. You realize there are people who want to play every race and sex combination? That's a lot of $10 bills. And with the expansion coming out, we'll need to upgrade our PC hardware. I think Guild Wars 2 is too expensive for me... which is a shame, because this is the best online game.

You can do this with the basic 5 slots make a human warrior play through the story delete.Make a asura warrior play through story rinse and repeat until you done all of them.About the mount skins that is subjective would still have all the basic ones if I did not splurge on branded pack awhile back.

About upgrading your pc that is needed for every game mate.

You wont be able to play current wow on the 2004 computer you had when it released.Any game releasing in 2021 would be hard to play on a 7-8 year old computer so why would gw2s next expansion be any different?

@Linken.6345 said:

@Mortifera.6138 said:First of all, you need to pay sub money on mount skins, because the original ones are ugly. After that, the character slots are just too expensive, costing $10 per slot. You realize there are people who want to play every race and sex combination? That's a lot of $10 bills. And with the expansion coming out, we'll need to upgrade our PC hardware. I think Guild Wars 2 is too expensive for me... which is a shame, because this is the best online game.

You can do this with the basic 5 slots make a human warrior play through the story delete.Make a asura warrior play through story rinse and repeat until you done all of them.About the mount skins that is subjective would still have all the basic ones if I did not splurge on branded pack awhile back.

You wont be able to play current wow on the 2004 computer you had when it released.Any game releasing in 2021 would be hard to play on a 7-8 year old computer so why would gw2s next expansion be any different?

Why would I create characters i wanted to delete?

@Mortifera.6138 said:

Oh read wrong well all race and sex would be 10 slots not to bad mate, just cut down a few drinks a month and you will have 5 more slots easy.

@Linken.6345 said:

Oh read wrong well all race and sex would be 10 slots not to bad mate, just cut down a few drinks a month and you will have 5 more slots easy.

I think you still don't understand. I want every race/sex/class combination. That's hundreds of dollars in slots. People do spend that much, though I am hesitant to.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

Why would you not just convert gold to gems if you don't wish to spend cash? You realize that just doing your T4 fractal dailies + recs, selling everything, and converting gold to gems you should be able to earn about 400 gems per week without any farming? It's pretty reasonable, honestly. You can buy whatever you want just by playing the game a bit each day.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

I think you still don't understand. I want every race/sex/class combination.Then you are exactly the demographic Anet aimed at with GW2 monetization.

Congratulations?

I haven’t spent money in the game in nearly 2 years and I’ve lost out on nothing

So no it’s not too expensive

Those few who want every race abd sex combination should be expecting to pay for it.

Luckily there’s no sub and expansions are once every 2-3 years so we are rarely required to spend money

The first thing to realise is that you do not need any of that to play GW2.

There's absolutely no reason to think you'll need a new PC to play the next expansion. Maybe if you're using something which just about meets the minimum requirements it would benefit from an upgrade, but Anet didn't drastically change the system requirements with HoT or PoF and there's no reason to expect them to do it with EoD. If they do make changes it will most likely be something relatively minor, especially because they will know that a lot of people are not going to buy a new PC just for 1 game.

Mount skins are purely cosmetic. I completely understand liking them and wanting to use them, but you don't need them. You will never find anything in the game which you cannot do because you're using the default skins.

Character combinations are almost entirely cosmetic. There are a few things which need a specific profession, race or sex but nothing which needs a set combination of all 3 so you can cover all your options with 9 characters - one of each profession, or add a 10th to cover all the race/sex combinations too. But the vast majority of stuff can be done with just 1 character.

Importantly, it's impossible to make every race/sex/profession combination. That's 90 characters and the game limits you to 69 (some people have 70 due to an old glitch but it's no longer possible to do that). So you need to give up on at least 21 characters. I know a lot of people who would like every possible combination settle for every race/sex/armour weight, which is "just" 30 characters. (Which is also enough to do every version of the personal story.)

Secondly since you don't need any of that you do not need to buy it right away. You can space it out, as and when you can afford it and convert gold to gems to cover some/all of the cost. For example make 5 characters now using the slots you have (or 4 and use one to experiment) and then buy 1 slot whenever they're discounted and/or you can afford the cost and gradually build up your characters, which will also give you time to play them all. (Or maybe time to realise you'd never use 30+ characters anyway and it's not worth paying to make them all.)

Same with mount skins. Take your time and save up until you can afford it, and maybe wait for them to be discounted before buying. It might be annoying to have to make do with the default skins but it's possible.

Employees need to get paid, company needs to run, business has to be profitable. That's just how this (human) world works.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

I think you still don't understand. I want every race/sex/class combination. That's hundreds of dollars in slots. People do spend that much, though I am hesitant to.

WANT is the keyword here, you don't need it, you want it. And if you want it enough you will pay what is demanded, if the price is too high for then you don't want it enough.

Anyway, haven't you been making threads about sub fees and the likes in the past? So you are willing to pay money I assume. Why is this "game that isn't a real game for real gamers" anyway suddenly too expensive for you?

Yes, things can be a bit on the expensive side in this game and if you start looking at the real value behind things, some are ridiculous (set of permanent gathering tools more expensive than an expansion for example). BUT, they give you the option to convert gold to gems if you don't want to / can't afford to spend cash. So unless you don't wanna put money in the game or the time to convert the gold... what exactly do you expect to happen?

Having a bunch of slots is a waste by the way. I have 8-9 of them and most of my characters are nothing but glorified flax farmers. Once every blue moon I may remember that I want to play with one of them and someone else turns into a flax farmer.

• Confused 1

@"Mortifera.6138" said:First of all, you need to pay sub money on mount skins, because the original ones are ugly. After that, the character slots are just too expensive, costing $10 per slot. You realize there are people who want to play every race and sex combination? That's a lot of $10 bills. And with the expansion coming out, we'll need to upgrade our PC hardware. I think Guild Wars 2 is too expensive for me... which is a shame, because this is the best online game.

"you need to pay sub money on mount skins"... No, you don't "need" anything cosmetic.

"the character slots are just too expensive"... yeah, no they aren't.

"with the expansion coming out, we'll need to upgrade our PC hardware."... That's your personal problem. Has nothing to do with the game or Anet.

"I think Guild Wars 2 is too expensive for me..."... Good luck finding a free MMO that doesn't charge a monthly fee to play, and one that the devs give away everything for free to their customers.

...Seriously, you want EXTRA stuff in a game that doesn't charge you a monthly fee to play? Then buy stuff. This game doesn't run on free.

Edit- And this bit...

"I think you still don't understand. I want every race/sex/class combination.".. We understand perfectly... You want, you don't NEED. That's your own problem. And I don't think the real issue is that "Guild Wars 2 is too expensive", you just don't want to spend the money.

Edit 2- Also, you can exchange game gold for gems to buy anything off the TP for FREE. Pretty nice of the devs to offer that to players.

• Confused 1

These are incredibly weak complaints. Jeez...

I'm at a loss for words. "Sub money on mount skins," just....wow.

Are there even enough character slots you can buy to have every possible combination? Pretty sure there is a cap of like 70 character slots at max. And as people have mentioned, you don't need anything you are complaining about.