Look for group is shocking.

Van.5796

The LFG system in GW is shocking. Instead of requesting to join a group, you join instantly then kicked if not wanted/needed. Why does it work this way? World of Warcraft has a queue you can join and once a group is available the instance will load. GW really need to adopt such a system as this allows players to experience instances as they level. Not everyone is in a guild or has enough members to run one. So let's get a better system up and running for all to get access to the instances.

• Haha 1

It's pretty rare to get summarily kicked from a group. I'm sure I must have seen it at some point but I can't remember an example.

FFXIV has both systems - the random PUG and the list a group and people just join method. I'd say as a whole the community there trusts the results of the second system more. The random group gets all the 'guess what happened to me in a PUG recently' stories. The list a group system does get the complaints of people using it to sell runs or put up too restrictive of requirements, but for the most part - letting people just join up allows for relatively faster group forming and of people who have the same intentions.

IE: if you want to do a speedrun, want a certain comp, etc... - people join knowing that. In the random system when you get a new 'I want to watch all the cutscenes and explore all the side spots' player and a speedrunner there's drama...

@Van.5796 said:Not everyone is in a guild or has enough members to run one.

And the current system addresses that perfectly.

When they added the manual system to FFXIV, it was GW2 that a lot of people cited for inspiration. Noting at that time, the fan-run website that used to be used here. Having played both this and WoW, manual group building tools like this one are vastly better. Over the years, WoW has continuously improved it's manual group building tools - and a lot of that is because people wanted a tool like we have here because having to rely on their guild and friend list wasn't always viable. I'm not sure what state their manual tool is in right now - I do remember it being popular for their world-events system that they also copied from GW2...

@Smoosh.2718 said:

@"Kichwas.7152" said:

FFXIV has both systems - the random PUG and the list a group and people just join method.

FFXIV also has a feature of sometimes waiting 2 hours as a DPS for a dungeon queue pop.Which makes me glad players in Gw2 can change their spec on the fly.

That's a whole other topic but... so does FFXIV. Just switch your class, since every character can play every class, swap to the one that's in demand (a one button press), and the queue pops.

Or...

Avoid that random tool, and join a manual built group. They have the tool we have here also - and the secret is... DPS get into groups in that pretty fast, because you can look at all the groups forming, what they need, and just slide right into one.

• That's why I like the system GW2 has, and that manual system in FFXIV. These tools work better for finding groups to match your interests.

Over time even in WoW, the devs mostly abandoned the random LFG tool to low level content. Once you hit max, you need to use the manual system to do 'mythics' and 'world bosses' and 'events'. They've basically been copying from GW2 for a lot of these things...

• If I recall right though, in WoW you click to join, and have to wait for someone to accept you. This can result in failing to get into any group because they're all slow to hit accept and it times out or they don't see the notice or whatever.

Here people join, and groups usually just 'roll with it' for whatever ends up in the group. And since it's manual, you can also see what's happening if a group is slow to form... like the other day when I was trying to run a T3 fractal late at night - our group wasn't filling, and I could see that there were also no other groups. It was just not the right time. In WoW I might sit in LFG for an hour and think other people were getting groups and maybe I should switch toons or something - all of which would have been useless if no one online was in the tool, but over there I can't see that info like I can here. Unless I'm looking for something "endgame", where they've removed the random tool (funny how in WoW, 99.99% of the game is called 'endgame' - making that term meaningless... but, whatever...).

@Van.5796 said:The LFG system in GW is shocking. Instead of requesting to join a group, you join instantly then kicked if not wanted/needed. Why does it work this way? World of Warcraft has a queue you can join and once a group is available the instance will load. GW really need to adopt such a system as this allows players to experience instances as they level. Not everyone is in a guild or has enough members to run one. So let's get a better system up and running for all to get access to the instances.

Please just try to learn to read the LFG. Or Join groups that have no requirements.The system in GW2 is good. So everybody can decide with whom he wants to play, which is especially important for higher content.

In case of doubt you can also just open your own group, without any conditions. No guild or other necessary things needed :).

• 8 months later...

The raid content is different to other content in the game, if you are not familiar with the mechanic, the whole team are likely fail and create frustrations. But you can..

1) Whisper the commander if you do not feel like asking in squad openly. You can whisper the commander before you join the group explaining your intention to join the group and your experience level see if he will respond positively to you, if not, just do not join them to avoid disappointment. There are some nice commanders who will give people a chance to try. A training group usually do not require full experience. So you can look out for those in LFG.

2)  Create a squad yourself and advertise to get your squad fill up. People with experience will join to help. 

The raid content cant just have random people with any random build to join, the success rate to get boss killed is not possible unless the group is reasonably organised. The raid game mode does not use auto skills customisation and professions prior to joining the content, as this will limit the dynamic flow of the game. 

Hope this helps.. happy raiding 🙂 also.... join RTI if you are in EU.. they are bunch of raider community to help newbie and they are genuinely helpful. 

https://discord.gg/rti

Edited by Talindra.4958

On 11/20/2020 at 5:03 PM, Van.5796 said:

The LFG system in GW is shocking. Instead of requesting to join a group, you join instantly then kicked if not wanted/needed. Why does it work this way? World of Warcraft has a queue you can join and once a group is available the instance will load. GW really need to adopt such a system as this allows players to experience instances as they level. Not everyone is in a guild or has enough members to run one. So let's get a better system up and running for all to get access to the instances.

After years of playing all kind of group content with the lfg i never got kicked after joining a lfg.

Maybe you joined a lfg asking for a healer or others requirement while being a dps without reading the lfg message or didn't understand the acronyme.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, kicks can happen, but they're pretty rare as long as you communicate. Still, people are people and every now an then you run into some kind of... special individuals.

Small example from yesterday evening: joined a 250 LI Deimos squad. Pinged a stack of LI + a legendary armor piece. At the same time someone else joined and spammed the chat with his LI. Commander asked me to ping, apparently he hadn't seen my ping in all the spam. 

Lazy me just opened the chat, hit arrow up and enter to recreate my last message with the ping. Alas, I forgot that that way, only white text appears  and not the actual item links. Consequence? I got accused of LI faking and kicked.  

Ironically, an hour later or so after I finished Deimos and some other bosses, the same commander was still on lfg looking for Deimos 😂

tl;dr if people are trigger happy kicking people out of their squads, shrug and move on, usually it's no loss not playing with them

Yeah the LFG system is complete outdated in gw2 .

1.)We still have only the vanilla icons in it so you can't really say who is what playing.

2.) the amount of categories is too long drop down lists would be better for some stuff.

3.) You can't lock slots for roles it doesn't matter if you have the "just auto join" or " pinboard list" system. This results that I need to edit the lfg which then the system don't let if it is too fast because "~I spamming~" This is stupid in multiply ways.

if you needed to end the search to change it and there is a small timeout before you can repost one nobody could spam them.

4.) I saw in other games you also say over the lfg menu what or better how you want to do : training, challenge, farm, achievement and so on.

optional 5.) Kp integration would be nice I know there are argues against it because yeah people could sneak in and could get some training. I could only say. With Kp.me it became near 0 in compare before and people reduce the amount of kp on their own if they didn't find anybody. In theory you can still whisper to someone in the group so you could be invited manually  if you have some argument for joining.

In general the lfg is one of the half- baked systems in Gw2 like raids(missing difficult levels) or housing which is in gw 2 our homes instances to some degree or Jeweler which became outdated with the ascended gear just few weeks after lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

In WoW content that is even remotely challenging will be organized similarly to LFG in GW2. You'll be asked for achievements and the LFG was done in chats while I still played. Making an automatic queue won't change that.

More categories in the LFG tool would be helpful though. Personally I would like an extra section for training groups; a global one, so that I can see what trainings are being done at a glance. And extra sections for challenge mode groups would be nice; when looking for a group for my T4 fractal dailies, I don't care about the 10 groups looking for 1 billion UFE to do fractal CM dailies (that either take forever to form, or are way more in number than normal groups).

On 9/3/2021 at 8:48 AM, Hotride.2187 said:

In WoW content that is even remotely challenging will be organized similarly to LFG in GW2. You'll be asked for achievements and the LFG was done in chats while I still played. Making an automatic queue won't change that.

More categories in the LFG tool would be helpful though. Personally I would like an extra section for training groups; a global one, so that I can see what trainings are being done at a glance. And extra sections for challenge mode groups would be nice; when looking for a group for my T4 fractal dailies, I don't care about the 10 groups looking for 1 billion UFE to do fractal CM dailies (that either take forever to form, or are way more in number than normal groups).

You can type -cm

in the fractal search bar.

• 2 weeks later...