Add a "2-seater" skill to Skyscale/Griffon

Noktus.8506

I think this is one of those skills that would not only make these mounts that much more valuable/worthwhile in getting, but would also provide quality-of-life changes for players who wish to help newcomers/friends get around the maps more quickly. I'm frustrated about not being able to offer a seat to my friend, who's a player of WoW/FF14 (both of which offer multi-seat mounts), as I show him around the world/help him along the way of leveling. It's also just downright fun to be able to do so, nevermind the practicality of it.

I specify adding a "2-seater" skill to Skyscales and Griffons, only because they are the 2 mounts that you don't really need to go after, but offer more luxurious and versatile means of travel - having the ability to mount 2 players would further accentuate these values. I look at the brilliant implementation of the diving skill for skimmer - an ability that wasn't exactly necessary, but definitely well received and logical - and cant help but wonder why this trend of expanding pre-existing mounts' abilities and uses wouldn't continue?

Finally, I understand that new players can just start PoF and get a raptor and continue on exploring the world with one, but arguing that is just blatantly ignoring the opportunity for fun and new ways of enjoying a game where the community is pretty much the fabric of the game's content to begin with. More interactivity is hardly a bad thing.

Gw2 mounts destroy those of competitor mmo's in terms of their gameplay mechanics and world implementation with regards to map design, yet this seems to be a disappointing miss in comparison.

Good idea mate. I would love to use this feature to kill many unsuspecting players.

"What's that friend? You need a ride? No worries, hop on my griffon. Why are we going so high? No reason, just trust me. Oh, you needed to go that way? It's okay"DIVE BOMBhehehe, I hope they implement this.

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:I'm not opposed to adding multiseated mounts, but please don't add more seats to the existing ones. Have you ever seen a Charr riding a griffon? Now imagine two Charr riding the same griffon.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Only if they figure out how an Asura can carry a Norn. And how a Skyscale can carry another Skyscale.

Mounts and players are not two separate models.

Good points, I hadn't realized the fact that mounts and player models are one, makes sense considering different races' mounts vary in size. This should be true even if an entirely new mount was conceptualized with multi-seats in mind, so I now wonder if this system would ever work, given that the skeleton of "mounts" would always be more of a player transformation as opposed to 2 or more separate models interacting with each other.

Unless you could somehow "sync" players together in a transformation/animation, similarly to the way players can sync up dancing?

@Noktus.8506 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Allegedly they tried however the player becomes a single entity ‘mountplayer’ and they can’t easily get a second player to sit on this.

Thats interesting, I wondered what sort of obstacles they might face if they ever did try implementing this

One obstacle was that there was no reason for it. It fit no game mechanics and so they redesigned The Behemoth to become The Jackal

It’s been requested for years - eg a Dolyak mount and it would be a lot of fun, but it seems unlikely

The full quote about it is below

” And then there’s the Jackal, which lets you make up to two instant teleport dashes and can also access Sand Portals that are found throughout Path of Fire’s zones. But it took a long time to take this role. For a start, it was originally going to be a huge mount that could seat several players at once.

“But we after prototyped it, it was going to be fairly hard to make it look convincing with the tools we had, and we were concerned about people parking on vendors with a giant mount so you couldn’t see them,” says Helmich.”

@"knite.1542" said:Good idea mate. I would love to use this feature to kill many unsuspecting players.

"What's that friend? You need a ride? No worries, hop on my griffon. Why are we going so high? No reason, just trust me. Oh, you needed to go that way? It's okay"DIVE BOMBhehehe, I hope they implement this.

More likely:

• "What's that friend? You need a ride? No worries, hop on my griffon. Why are we going so high? No reason, just trust me. Oh, you needed to go that way? It's okay"
  • BOND OF FAITH
  • passenger makes like Gonzo the Great, and plummets. Griffin owner remounts.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Allegedly they tried however the player becomes a single entity ‘mountplayer’ and they can’t easily get a second player to sit on this.

Thats interesting, I wondered what sort of obstacles they might face if they ever did try implementing this

One obstacle was that there was no reason for it. It fit no game mechanics and so they redesigned The Behemoth to become The Jackal

It’s been requested for years - eg a Dolyak mount and it would be a lot of fun, but it seems unlikely

The full quote about it is below

” And then there’s the Jackal, which lets you make up to two instant teleport dashes and can also access Sand Portals that are found throughout Path of Fire’s zones. But it took a long time to take this role. For a start, it was originally going to be a huge mount that could seat several players at once.

“But we after prototyped it, it was going to be fairly hard to make it look convincing with the tools we had, and we were concerned about people parking on vendors with a giant mount so you couldn’t see them,” says Helmich.”

Ahh, very insightful. I feel silly not knowing about this beforehand

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"knite.1542" said:Good idea mate. I would love to use this feature to kill many unsuspecting players.

"What's that friend? You need a ride? No worries, hop on my griffon. Why are we going so high? No reason, just trust me. Oh, you needed to go that way? It's okay"
DIVE BOMB
hehehe, I hope they implement this.

More likely:
  • "What's that friend? You need a ride? No worries, hop on my griffon. Why are we going so high? No reason, just trust me. Oh, you needed to go that way? It's okay"
  • BOND OF FAITH
  • passenger makes like Gonzo the Great, and plummets. Griffin owner remounts.

lol. Gonzto the great

I don't like the idea because part of getting your own mounts usually involves getting around to places that already having them makes it trivial. We already have mesmers with portal and the portal item people can use to skip a lot of the content. Having Dial-a-Skyscale selling rides to every player doesn't sound like a good idea.

Mounts are not so hard to get, if one doesn't mind breaking the story (that's for another thread - search for it). Other than having their work (play?) done for them, I don't see how it would be fun for the passenger. If anything, perhaps a new basic mount more like the warclaw that new players who have purchased the expansions can acquire? (Ugh, now I', slipping into that other post...)

Alternative : Instead of it being a mount, have it be a Novelty, and not necessarily an animal. It could just as well be a construct, or a moving chair, in the line of the Inquest chair.

Since it's purpose is not clearly established, it actually belongs in the items that are fun but otherwise pointless. Hence, a Novelty.