Old Player coming back after many years

Galphar.3901

I go back all the way to the Original Guild Wars and have played everything up to Heat Of Thorns. I have now purchased HoT and PoF and an getting back into the game. Hot seems like it's nothing but 1 jumping puzzle after another as I go through the Story (only on Prized Possession). If I wanted to play a jumping puzzle game instead of an MMO I'd have just gone with a jumping puzzle game on my tablet/phone. Please tell me that Living World Season 3 isn't still one big Jumper.

First off, welcome back! :)

I know people who quit over HoT, because they could not bring themselves to level the Masteries required to make navigating through those maps a piece of cake. I urge you to not give up and promise that it will get easier once you have all the navigational Masteries like gliding, using wallows, and jumping mushrooms. Don't give up.

And other than Draconis Mons (a LW3 map) none of the after-HoT maps are vertically challenging the way HoT is.

It's not the Open World that is making me mad. It's the instances where you have to jump here then there then back here just to get to the fight. And IF you don't kill the boss then you have to do the damn jumping puzzle again and again. I know in the Open World that I can just skip things like making sure I get all the Views done or all the Hero Points in a Map. These are the Story instances and I HAVE to do them to progress the story.

@"Galphar.3901" said:It's not the Open World that is making me mad. It's the instances where you have to jump here then there then back here just to get to the fight.

Those can hardly be called "jumping puzzles", though...

And IF you don't kill the boss then you have to do the kitten jumping puzzle again and again.

Well, yes, story instances have become more complex over time (which is a good thing, because the core game's were super lame for most part), so it can happen that you have to run a distance to get back to the boss.

I would work on mastering fight and game mechanics, if I were you, and getting properly geared up, because that makes it rather unlikely for you to die in story instances.

@Galphar.3901 said:It's not the Open World that is making me mad. It's the instances where you have to jump here then there then back here just to get to the fight. And IF you don't kill the boss then you have to do the kitten jumping puzzle again and again. I know in the Open World that I can just skip things like making sure I get all the Views done or all the Hero Points in a Map. These are the Story instances and I HAVE to do them to progress the story.

i feel you bro. i have simply given up on the whole game because of this. not worth the time and hassle, just for a short cutscene, and even MORE annoying content

@Galphar.3901 said:It's not the Open World that is making me mad. It's the instances where you have to jump here then there then back here just to get to the fight. And IF you don't kill the boss then you have to do the kitten jumping puzzle again and again. I know in the Open World that I can just skip things like making sure I get all the Views done or all the Hero Points in a Map. These are the Story instances and I HAVE to do them to progress the story.

My guess is you are annoyed with the Prized Possessions gauntlet during the story part. No worries, that is a rather unique experience and there are guides you can follow to get past it if need be.

Otherwise the overall vertical challenge does drop after HoT. Nothing quite comparable to the Prized Possessions story part though even in HoT.

I don't know why you posted 2 threads but i'll post here what i posted in your other thread as well:

Wait till you get to Tangled Depths if you still haven't lol.I'm assuming you're in Verdant Brink right? Too lazy to google the story part right now.If so, only Verdant brink is really vertical, Auric Basin, Tangled Depths and Dragon's Stand are more tame.

They're purpusefully designed that way for gliding, to make use of it.LW3 is kinda like that but only on Bloodstone Fen. The rest are more plain.

I also recomment getting the raptor and the springer if you hate getting around HoT, but even with mounts, it's still very involved as far as traversal is concerned. Only core tyria maps are more level, everything after that requires at least some platforming.

I just watched a video of that story step to refresh my memory. I remember being frustrated by it too. Hearing the commander say that the egg skills are like the Zephyrite crystals made a lot more sense to me now...I'm not sure I really understood that at the time I went through the story.

I can't really say that I enjoyed HoT, but I did get through it. I think Ashantara gave you good advice. Practice and getting better gear (via crafting, in my case) made a lot of difference for me.

@"Veprovina.4876" said:I don't know why you posted 2 threads but i'll post here what i posted in your other thread as well:

Wait till you get to Tangled Depths if you still haven't lol.I'm assuming you're in Verdant Brink right? Too lazy to google the story part right now.If so, only Verdant brink is really vertical, Auric Basin, Tangled Depths and Dragon's Stand are more tame.

They're purpusefully designed that way for gliding, to make use of it.LW3 is kinda like that but only on Bloodstone Fen. The rest are more plain.

I also recomment getting the raptor and the springer if you hate getting around HoT, but even with mounts, it's still very involved as far as traversal is concerned. Only core tyria maps are more level, everything after that requires at least some platforming.

Totally agree. Getting the mounts from Path of Fire will make some things easier, also upgrade them. The Springer has a skill that will make it jump higher, which is very useful. The raptor can jump pretty far with the upgraded skill.The Glider should also be upgraded, at least to Advanced Gliding. That will help you glide very far, take you over the whole map if you find the right updrafts. I'm adding a link that gives you an idea.

I did finally make it through that frackin' instance. After watching a video on the instance from Dulfy I tried it with keyboard and mouse instead of my Gamepad. Still took me about an hour to get through first section tho, lol. Now my complaint is just the "grind" for the mastery points and getting gated by that sometimes. I did see that A-Net learned their lesson from HoT and fixed a lot of it in PoF. They did same thing with Factions and Nightfall in GW, Factions was very quick to go through and with Nightfall they got a good balance to the game.

That one story instance in HoT is pretty awful with the rabbit trial especially. Good god it is the worst. Not to mention some people crash every time they get to the end.

As for everything else, Mounts change everything in the game. If you don't like most of HoT exploration I recommend you collect all the mounts you can and get masteries to make exploration easy.