Wintersday Toypocalypse Difficulty Change?

Rubberkitten.3751

There're numbers of ways to play Toypocalypse, shooting them all to death is only one of them. Builders are usually much more important. They smash the tree and building models, and use the scraps and snows to put up sieges and upgrade them. If sieges are well positioned, it will get easier later into the game.

@Raffrey.5271 said:There're numbers of ways to play Toypocalypse, shooting them all to death is only one of them. Builders are usually much more important. They smash the tree and building models, and use the scraps and snows to put up sieges and upgrade them. If sieges are well positioned, it will get easier later into the game.

builders annoy me

there is a hidden structure limit that would prevent the map from being covered to the last open bit.

that means that when the limit is reached, and poor timmy is buiilding in the far far corner all the first build (and probably upgraded) structures naturally decay.then the big golem spawns at a bad angle, walks to mid and kills all your dolyaks.

yes i have had that happen multiple times.best is to start with the hammer, get mid section secured (walls, and build ballistas on top of the walls) catapults suck as it's very odd at hitting moving targets.

once mid is secured ditch hammer and take the rifle

regarding doing less damage, you are basically entering a pvp map. your gear and stats are replaced with your pvp amulet. so the stats you use are also those from the amulet.

@melandru.3876 said:

@Raffrey.5271 said:There're numbers of ways to play Toypocalypse, shooting them all to death is only one of them. Builders are usually much more important. They smash the tree and building models, and use the scraps and snows to put up sieges and upgrade them. If sieges are well positioned, it will get easier later into the game.

builders annoy me

there is a hidden structure limit that would prevent the map from being covered to the last open bit.

that means that when the limit is reached, and poor timmy is buiilding in the far far corner all the first build (and probably upgraded) structures naturally decay.then the big golem spawns at a bad angle, walks to mid and kills all your dolyaks.

yes i have had that happen multiple times.best is to start with the hammer, get mid section secured (walls, and build ballistas on top of the walls) catapults suck as it's very odd at hitting moving targets.

once mid is secured ditch hammer and take the rifle

regarding doing less damage, you are basically entering a pvp map. your gear and stats are replaced with your pvp amulet. so the stats you use are also those from the amulet.

My strategy is slightly different here.

While yes, definitely secure the mid section first, what I do is to surround the mid section with lots of catapults and snowmen like a circle, I rarely build ballistas because I don't really see anyone put them up and I guess there is some reason behind that. Then I build some walls, like 8~10, spread them evenly like an outer circle but kept some distance from the sieges, as they tend to drag aggro. What I aim is for the mobs to focus on the walls as much as possible while leaving sieges unaffected by their AoE. Keep upgrading the sieges and repair the walls if their HP starts to decay. Never did I drop my hammer. I duo it with one of my guildie yesterday, using this strategy, all five dolyaks are alive and well in the end.

While i am trying to build protection near the dolyaks, people usually never pay attention to them, and i be the one who tries to keep the dolyaks from dying.So i have to keep the cap gun and kill the toys. Only a few times i get help but the other 2 are still building. Even when Toxx comes out, theyare still building. I do both, i build while i am protecting. I break, grab, stack, and watch. If i see them running in, i am not far, and try to cap em.But cant do it all alone.

I haven't noticed any difference to the damage weapons do to toys, but I almost always use the hammer and focus on building defences around the dolyaks.

Yes it is annoying when someone is off building their own little fort in a corner for no apparent reason, but Toypocalypse is a tower defense game, it's designed so that it's virtually impossible for 5 players to defeat all the toys just by attacking them directly, the idea is to build defences to help destroy the toys. I normally focus on that and only attack the toys directly if they get inside the ring and close to the dolyaks.

For what it's worth I've had just as many issues with people who are camping just 1 spawn point trying to solo all the toys as people building useless defences, either way the problem is they're ignoring the objective. Once they're doing that whatever they are doing is largely irrelevant.

• Like 1

Honestly I was thinking recently how easy it is, it’s kind of boring because of it. After a few rounds, you and the other players have built so many weapons and snowmen you can just sit there and do nothing. In fact, I found myself struggling to do something, I couldn’t even run to enemies before they were killed. IMO the “onslaught” level should be level 2 and it gets harder from there

@melandru.3876 said:once mid is secured ditch hammer and take the rifleAnd then toxx clears a large part of the map because noone's cc-ing him.Also, ballistas work indeed better against Toxx, but they have lower range and no aoe, so they are way, way worse against trash waves. Not to mention barriers are useless, better to create snowmen that stop trash and let them get easily wiped by catas

And weapons are next to useless against trash when compared to the effect of siege. Properly placed siege will kill trash spawns before they can even move. And, again, hammers are the only reasonable weapon against Toxx, as you can practically stunlock him and kill him very fast. Rifles on the otehr hand usually end up killing people trying to stun Toxx with hammers, because Toxx reflects half of those shots.

So, basically, don't run rifle. Use the hammer. Rifle is extremely inefficient there.

I have had luck with people building little clusters of cata and snowman out along the edges where the waves spawn and always within range of another little cluster , the mobs or Toxx spawn and try to destroy the closest little cluster to them and the other one just destroys them. we had very little seige around the yaks compared to the mid range that could still reach the yaks but wasnt near the actual circle.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@melandru.3876 said:once mid is secured ditch hammer and take the rifleAnd then toxx clears a large part of the map because noone's cc-ing him.Also, ballistas work indeed better against Toxx, but they have lower range and no aoe, so they are way, way worse against trash waves. Not to mention barriers are useless, better to create snowmen that stop trash and let them get easily wiped by catas

And weapons are next to useless against trash when compared to the effect of siege. Properly placed siege will kill trash spawns before they can even move. And, again, hammers are the only reasonable weapon against Toxx, as you can practically stunlock him and kill him very fast. Rifles on the otehr hand usually end up killing people trying to stun Toxx with hammers, because Toxx reflects half of those shots.

So, basically, don't run rifle. Use the hammer. Rifle is extremely inefficient there.

rifle 3 is a cc, 5 times riffle 3 is toxx cc'd but then again pve people do not have the habbit of using everything, let alone cc

@Astralporing.1957 said:So, basically, don't run rifle. Use the hammer. Rifle is extremely inefficient there.

I disagree.

@melandru.3876 said:rifle 3 is a cc, 5 times riffle 3 is toxx cc'd but then again pve people do not have the habbit of using everything, let alone cc

I always ping the skill and a short command, usually people follow up on that.

@melandru.3876 said:rifle 3 is a cc, 5 times riffle 3 is toxx cc'd but then again pve people do not have the habbit of using everything, let alone ccRifle 3 is a melee skill. Good luck getting people with rifles to fight in a melee range, when they take rifles specifically to avoid that. And again, if you are in melee already, hammer is better.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

@Healix.5819 said:Your PvP gear applies here.

So, if you once played PvP and selected an amulet that now has been removed, you basically play Toypocalypse naked?(I had the Celestial amulet on, but it is gone so my PvP amulet is empty)

Yes. Stats are generally fixed in activities, but sometimes they have abilities like these weapons that are using the standard formula, so anyone not stacking power is at a disadvantage.

Legit never had a group in there have trouble ccing him. Even with rifles.

It's such a baby gamemode you can teach a 4 year old the basics.

And of course you want to build a couple ballistas. For every 3 or 4 catapults i build, i build one ballista. Helps clearing that one trash mob that survives or runs fast like the Ventari.

Not to mention... Noticed some abnormalities... When u wall off 3 access routes, enemies get teleported inside the base from their spawn point.. even toxx get spawned inside the base near the dolyaks... Don't know if that's intentional anet design....

Rifle shots actually interrupts toxx from his current action... So 2 ppl with rifle doing consecutive shots at toxx can stunlock toxx without ever using rifle3 cc break bar

Either ppl are lazy or intentionally doing things to annoy others... Like when ure building walls for base, and collecting snow, a guy runs around picking whatever he sees on ground and builds a snow wall in the middle of nowhere just where he found it and runs away. Is the game designed in such a way to give the impression the more u build, the more presents ull get???

Also, I wish anet makes this a lil bit harder and reduce the number of rounds in half. 10 rounds drag the event to almost 30 mins I think... And 3 for the dailies... 1.5 hrs right there

Game is very easy and nearly impossible to fail. I see people use poor strategy often and we always win. As long as you have at least 1 or 2 players who understand the games rules you will succeed.The thing that annoys me the most is people who keep building level 1 NEW improvements instead of repairing/upgrading existing ones. After there are about 80 total improvements, building new ones just replaces the oldest existing ones. If you build these away from the center, you wind up with a bunch of level 1 satellite improvements and nothing near the important center circle. I hate when people do this. But the game is so easy, even when this happens it's still hard to lose.

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Rifle shots actually interrupts toxx from his current action...No, they don't. They don't interrupt neither his missile channel, his jump, nor his spin to win. In fact, the spin reflects projectiles, so Toxx isn't even getting damaged from rifles during it. I don't know where this misinformation comes from (although i wouldn't be surprised if it was a result of people with rifles simply not noticing people with hammers doing actual cc).