What role schold new engi elite spec have ?

Noah Salazar.5430

41 minutes ago, Headcase.4618 said:

The next e-spec should be Condi/dps. Here's hat I'm thinking; It's called an Apothecary. They gain either a mace, torch, or a staff (I think either one could work). Their utility skills are called "Chemicals" that add conditions and other effects to weapon skills, similar to the thief's venom skills

Cool idea. Just hope it is not torch. Giving engineer an offhand weapon is terrible, since we have just 1 mainland weapon to combine it with.

Also offhand pistol holds one of our best condi skills (blowtorch). Having a new mainland condi weapon to combo with offhand pistol would be more beneficial, since mainland pistol is considered pretty weak.

• Like 1

It would be cool if they could let engi use torch mainhand, but I assume that's beyond the programming capabilities.  I agree we need a mainhand..  mace or axe makes the most sense.

As for new spec role...  dps!

1 hour ago, Stx.4857 said:

It would be cool if they could let engi use torch mainhand, but I assume that's beyond the programming capabilities.  I agree we need a mainhand..  mace or axe makes the most sense.

Scepter would be an option too since the last two weapons we got were meele.

8 hours ago, Samug.6512 said:

Funny how scrapper got the support job while most of the supportive stuff comes from core engi...

That how a lot of elite spec. are though. But for what ever reason scraper did not get its own "healing" effect (it would be barrier) what most ppl though anet was going to do with scraper when it first came out to build armor for your team when you kill/hit things. I realty see anet adding more boons in for scraper i just hope its on there wells and hammer effects maybe even stun effects. I do not see them adding in another support class for eng any time soon boon or healing.

Eng is missing a "pure" condi elite spec holo more of a hybrid with more power then condi dmg. Maybe a boon control (something i like to see for ele as well).

58 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

That how a lot of elite spec. are though. But for what ever reason scraper did not get its own "healing" effect (it would be barrier) what most ppl though anet was going to do with scraper when it first came out to build armor for your team when you kill/hit things. I realty see anet adding more boons in for scraper i just hope its on there wells and hammer effects maybe even stun effects. I do not see them adding in another support class for eng any time soon boon or healing.

Eng is missing a "pure" condi elite spec holo more of a hybrid with more power then condi dmg. Maybe a boon control (something i like to see for ele as well).

They can give us a condi elite spec which also serves as a boon support.

If firebrand and scourge can be condi and support specs both in one, then I don't see why a new engi elite spec couldn't. 

Just now, Kodama.6453 said:

They can give us a condi elite spec which also serves as a boon support.

If firebrand and scourge can be condi and support specs both in one, then I don't see why a new engi elite spec couldn't. 

Well they are broken classes for sure and over all conversion is an broken effect giving them boons they realty should not have.

Any elite spec added to eng will be able to use med kit and exliser gun in a way eng's elite spec will always be support due to these kits.

1 minute ago, Jski.6180 said:

Well they are broken classes for sure and over all conversion is an broken effect giving them boons they realty should not have.

Any elite spec added to eng will be able to use med kit and exliser gun in a way eng's elite spec will always be support due to these kits.

Core guardian also has tons of boons by default, it is one of the most boon heavy classes in the game.

They still got firebrand, which gives them even more support capabilities.

It would also make sense if they want to give us an alchemy based elite spec, which in my opinion should be next, since our chemical themes are not covered at all by our current elite specs. 

Just now, Kodama.6453 said:

Core guardian also has tons of boons by default, it is one of the most boon heavy classes in the game.

They still got firebrand, which gives them even more support capabilities.

It would also make sense if they want to give us an alchemy based elite spec, which in my opinion should be next, since our chemical themes are not covered at all by our current elite specs. 

We are agreeing here but you cant see just how powerful med kit / exlier gun is for support. At one point ppl where running holo as an support class. I am all for giving core eng exlier throw all the boons but this is an elite spec talk not a core talk (i always want core classes buffed with out buffing elite spec my default point of view.)

I do agree on the next spec needing to focus on the Condi aspect of Engineer.

It needs to help to improve the damage and take out Condi Engi from the hellish 3 kit complex rotations that never manages to stay on pair with other DPS specs. New Utilities that bring better ways to put condi output, improve P/P in ways Firearms doesn't make the cut and so on.

This could definitely also benefit PvP Condi Engi, were the damage is negegible as it ramps upo way too slow and cant keep up with the condi cleanse specs pack nowadays, or a way to improve the survivability aswell.

• Like 3

On 5/19/2021 at 10:49 PM, Stx.4857 said:

Well, if ANet implemented main hand torch as a fiery club-type weapon, wouldn't that amount to it being a mace with a different skin?  OTOH, if they implement a MH torch as throwing fire (or whatever) at enemies, wouldn't that be functionally similar to a sceptre?

So, if they did want to do some kind of torch main hand type of thing, it'd be a lot simpler IMO (in terms of dev time) to just implement it as either a mace or a sceptre, but with fiery weapon skill animations.  That way, they could use the existing animations and skins achieve something very similar.  All they might have to do if they did this would be to add a couple more "fire" themed weapons of the existing type.

Perhaps not ideal for the feel, but a lot less work!

Well just like people have suggested b4, dual wielding Mace with hybrid effects (since pistols are pretty condi weapons, so maybe a hybrid dual wield will fit better) would do it. No need for torch when for example Mace 3 on Rev is a huge fire fissure inflicting burning. Something that can be easily replicated in engi maces OH or MH. Some poison, some power dmg (maybe a big meaty power dmg hit inflicting vulnerability like warrior's Mace 4).

And for people who may want a more ranged approach, I suppose shortbow? Default condi weapon? But then it's a two handed one and it's boring for build crafting, as well as doing the same role as pistols, on top of probably feeling too similar in role with renegade shortbow (if they went hybrid for it). 

Perhaps a defensive skill included in the main hand to not force you into playing with shield? Basically allowing you to fill out a ranged option with OH pistol, or a melee option with Mace OH, leaving shield for its supportive and self sustain capabilities. 

Now that i think about it, since there are already two melee elite specs, scepter would be a great fit for the new one.  Think of an engineer with some sort of electric tool or tuning device that zaps people from range with confusion, burning, poison etc.

Builder: Building turrets that can be manned. The basic turrets can be used with f and do more dmg than basic attacks, but less than a proper rotation. (fits in a rotation) 

Defensive: Survivability buffs through external armor which you can cast on allies. 

Offensive buffs: again applying external armors that buff others, sort of like one wolf pack does. Something in the order of: allies slap on sticky mines with each hit for a period of time which explode after a delay causing a big boom. 

Is also usable for applying poisons or bleeding in some way. 

Clones: (think creepy) build a backup for someone who dies, or is downed. 

Weaponsmaster replacments. Utilities which let you swap to weapons you normally wouldnt be able to use. They must be equipped before battle. (this is kits but you can actually choose the stats on the weapons. Also lets you have more fashion options for the fabulous players.)  

Idk really. The biggest lacking department imo is the playability of condi engineer. The current condiholo was ignored in the last patch, perhaps rightfully so, but it really is no fun to play. 

2 hours ago, Kontrolle.3514 said:

i guess it will be some asian fireworks engineer. Chinese fireworks are op., offhand torch i guess.

They should definitely not give engineer an offhand weapon. Our weapon pool is just terrible for it.

We only have 1 mainhand weapon to potentially combo an offhand weapon with: pistol.

So if you want to use the new offhand weapon, you are hard forced into pistol/torch, which is terrible for build diversity.

Then torch would potentially also have niche overlap with offhand pistol.

If we expect a condi spec (should be, since both our elite specs so far have been focused hard on power damage), then torch would probably also be a condition weapon.

Which condition would be most logical for torch? Burning.

Blowtorch, the 4th skill with offhand pistol, is one of our strongest sources for burning already. If we get a torch to inflict burning on enemies, then these 2 weapons compete for pretty much the same niche with each other. Either torch is doing more condi damage and gets picked over pistol offhand all the time or it doesn't and gets never picked over pistol.

So far we got

Scrapper:

-Primary self-sustain Bruiser

-Secondary group support

Holosmith:

-Primary power dps

-Secondary condi dps

So that could leave us with a spec that focuses primarily on support or condi dps.

I like the fireworks theme mentioned above, so maybe the spec could be Pyrotechnist, a shortbow-wielding Engi.

• 3 weeks later...

ranged a.o.e power dps (staff engi)

all we have is ranged condi (pistols/grenades) and ranged rifle for power which is reaching 

we are in dire need of ranged aoe power dps

Edited by Goat.4627
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Goat.4627 said:

ranged a.o.e power dps (staff engi)

all we have is ranged condi (pistols/grenades) and ranged rifle for power which is reaching 

we are in dire need of ranged aoe power dps

Both elite specs we got so far have been power focused primarily.

It's time that engineer gets a condition based elite spec...

Especially since you are still pretty much forced to take 3 kits to play a reasonable condi dps engineer in PvE. Power builds in PvE actually got options now, since scrapper and holo introduced good power utility skills.

But all good condi skills are located on kits.

Let this sink in: the only core utility skills we have which deal condition damage and which are not kits are rocket boots (because of the toolbelt skill) and flame turret. Elixirs are all entirely about utility, no damage or condi damage. Turrets are heavily favouring power damage (rocket turret, rifle turret and thmper turret favour power, since their toolbelt skills are power skills). Gadgets are mostly utility, with throw mine and personal battering ram favouring power damage once again.

Our options for condi damage are terrible. We just take 3 kits, cherry pick the condi damage skills from them and leaving many skills in the kits untouched since they are power focused.

Also you mention grenades as ranged condi.... You know that grenades are working also for power builds kitten well?

Edited by Kodama.6453

A spec with turrets :

lazer between turrets,

more traits around turrets, bigger range, a pull turret, some big electric shockwave, baby spider walking turrets, make turret invul for a short duration.

a Elite skill that allow you to replicate all yours turrets in a big area, like replicate x8 if the turret you dropped in geometrical shape !

a tool kit revamp

And also giant explosion! So you can make explosion in a superbig area !

A new effect that allow boons to not run out of time or be removed/corrupted for a short duration

Like an "Artificer' specialization or something...

I don't think an elite spec should have a define role from start, its better if it have some various tools in it and people just theory craft around all the new possibilities. (this is why I don't like holo)

Edited by Pablo.3259