LF Best Professions and Builds for Melee

Opopanax.1803

Right now I have had a lot of fun with some spellbreaker mace/shield builds and also some Dire Condi Guardian [core] builds.

I'm looking for builds that do the best at staying up close and personal. Rough builds like: profession, trait lines, and gear would be fantastic. I'm also trying to find more power builds that can pull this off, although I am not opposed to Condi... it's just that I have been playing a lot of Condi damage lately.

Thanks in advance!

I ran this after the Feb. Patch in WvW:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAceFlJwuYJMMWJOWLWHVA-z1QYhoBZpjIu0CJsSo1IoiEwvpRAbaA-w

Sentinel stats on a core warrior. I floated between Defense, Discipline, and Tactics. The only trait line that stayed constant was Arms really to make up for Crit chance and Ferocity.

Runes fluctuated between pack, dolyak, durability, sanctuary, and vampirism. Took rifle instead of GS sometimes. Doesn't work as well now as then though since people have acclimated to the meta and are finding ways to push their damage higher with things that were nor nerfed, but I've killed more wannabe gankers with that build than I did with any other build outside of the first week of the berserker rework when Arc Divider deleted people (so much death...).

Pretty much just tank the opening burst then CC them and then burst them back. You'll still hit a Thief for over 8k on an eviscerate on that setup, which is most of their health last I checked.

I'm not clear on which game mode we're talking here, but since you mention Dire stats I'm going to assume open world/story solo play is the focus.

I think herald, holosmith, or chronomancer (all with sword) would be good picks for melee power builds with a nice balance of damage and sustain. My personal favorite pick for all out melee aggression is weaver (also with sword), but the power variants have poor sustain, unfortunately.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:I'm not clear on which game mode we're talking here, but since you mention Dire stats I'm going to assume open world/story solo play is the focus.

I think herald, holosmith, or chronomancer (all with sword) would be good picks for melee power builds with a nice balance of damage and sustain. My personal favorite pick for all out melee aggression is weaver (also with sword), but the power variants have poor sustain, unfortunately.

Ive played a Dire Tempest, but I havent had time to unlock Weaver yet. I suppose I should get around to that sometime soon!

@Opopanax.1803 said:

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:I'm not clear on which game mode we're talking here, but since you mention Dire stats I'm going to assume open world/story solo play is the focus.

Ive played a Dire Tempest, but I havent had time to unlock Weaver yet. I suppose I should get around to that sometime soon!

For a great open world melee build, I definitely recommend it! Here's a clip with build link in comments:

That's the build I generally prefer for open world, but here's an alternative option I also recommend: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwmYXMJmJOKPnvaA-zRJYkRD/YkoA6kA6nFfd2A-e

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@Opopanax.1803 said:Anyone have a power mirage build to share?

As far as I can tell, power mirage is not a great choice for PvE. The weapons you would use with it are greatsword and sword, neither of which have a good ambush skill for PvE. Chronomancer is a much better choice for power mesmer builds in PvE.

Ty! 7charsshort

Power Mirage is extremely good for world for events and tagging possibly the best of all builds in game.

The thing here is that the greatsword ambush is extremely good, it hits a ton of targets aoing all over the place, and the clones are dealing good damage for being a power ambush. The key is to spam as many ambushes and amount of clones as possible - you do this with duelist spawning clone on dodge and use two greatswords with sigil of stamina(restore full endurance on a kill) + sigil of energy (gain 50% endurance on swap). You tag everything all over the numbers of targets constantly hit is absurd - and your GS has more abilities for ranged tagging.

I use two different specc - one goes zerker gear and vampirism runes(this means any kills restore full endurance and heal you 10%), this is the one i play most of the time coz of the heal flowing in on events. The other goes some diviner stats for 50% boon duration and speed runes for 100%, 66% speed uptime using signet of inspiration passive, it's for stuff where you need to move maximum for whatever reasons, such as quicker tagging, silver wastes etc. Illusionary ambush, deception support skill is really recommended too. That can give you a second 1200 range teleport(for a total of 3 teleports), that also gives ambush attacks + spawns a clone(if using "self-deception") + preserves your clones if their target it about to die(which effectively can mean you spawn multiple clones on a new target to translate it to other words). I can move around so fast using the last build.

In world the only time i don't play power mirage is when i go trailblazer for tough content. Power mirage really is a ultra tagging build, and it's very very evasive. But it is not a melee build. So there's that.. Also i don't recommend mesmer for a serious endgame main atm it's too frustrating in many game modes and nerfed and convoluted to play right.