Need an advice on a class to propose to my girlfriend

SunTzu.4513

Greetings,

i have some strange kind of a problem.

My girlfriend startet GW2 a few weeks ago. It's her first MMO. She asked me what classes she should try and i proposed her necro and guardian. Gameplay wise she likes Necro but the aesthetics aren't her thing to grim and dark. She likes the guardian theme but she got frustrated with timing of aegis and blinds when she hit HoT/PoF... She now asked me again what she should try next and i'm not sure. My ''problem'' is i (i don't want to brag) play this game for so long i don't have any difficulty in story or open world with any of the classes. Necro/Guradian was my easy/solo advice.

She wants's something easy. Mainly for OW and Story. No darkish theme. She is more the exploring and collecting type of player. I already have taken her into the PvP Lobby that she can play around but she has a hard time to decide. She likes the Druid theme pretty much. She plays the Naturemage/Druid Archetype in every solo RPG if the class is avaible. But from my point of view thats maybe not the best choice because Druid seems not that strong DPS wise for OW and Story also she liked Staff and Traps no idea how to make this work together. I showed her SB but she instantly hated the merge mechanik. Poor cute Fern Hound, no Fern Hound out no fun... My next advice to her would be the good old Bearbow Coreranger should work okayish imo.

Any other class you would suggest for an complete noob who just want to wandering around do collections and the story, without any interrest to focus on improving gameplay wise?

1) /kneel :lol:2) Sounds like she found the class she wants to play...

Not that I play druid ever, but have her try something like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAUZlNwsYUsJ2JWeP7N9B8A-zRJUvRF/xAMOIhQ1igOkAhoAs5sc8mF-eShe likes Staff and traps, so see if she likes running shortbow as well and lean into the healing and condition damage stat wise.

Also, relish the thought that you now have a pocket healer.

I must say that the wording of the title is tricky...If you have to propose, Lan Deathrider is right, /kneel is a must. Otherwise, be yourself, don't try to be a righteous knight in shining armor if you're a dark mage that relish in death and corruption.If you have to suggest a profession, thought, she should probably try her hand at a few profession and look if one fit what she like to play. Don't force her hand, experiencing the different gameplay that GW2 professions offer is probably the best way to discover the game and what might fit her the best.

@Dadnir.5038 said:I must say that the wording of the title is tricky...If you have to propose, Lan Deathrider is right, /kneel is a must. Otherwise, be yourself, don't try to be a righteous knight in shining armor if you're a dark mage that relish in death and corruption.If you have to suggest a profession, thought, she should probably try her hand at a few profession and look if one fit what she like to play. Don't force her hand, experiencing the different gameplay that GW2 professions offer is probably the best way to discover the game and what might fit her the best.

^ That. Just let her play a few classes, and if she really likes the feel of one in particular, then let her do it. Even if it isn't optimal. You can pick up the DPS slack for her if you plan on playing together the entire time.

If she likes Druid, with a Fern Hound, with a staff, and with traps, then help her make it work rather than push her to something she won't like. She'll learn and grow as a player in her own time, and it is best that she does so playing what she prefers first.

Staff Mirage is the build you're looking for (I mean, as an alternative to druid). You don't need any skill, timing, or knowledge at all to play this build. Just push 1 and dodge over and over and you win. If that's not a perfect fit, it even has a purple butterfly theme (which I happen to prefer over the dark necro theme myself!)!

Here's an old video clip of a dead simple version of staff mirage where I've replaced all my utility slots with signet passives and deliberately play like a complete potato (standing in fire, pushing buttons off cooldown, making no attempt at timing anything, etc.) just to demonstrate that the build wins effortlessly even against enemies that normally give less skilled players trouble like multiple veteran hydras, forged raiding party events, and even a bounty champion!

If you want to spice it up a bit use viper, trailblazer, or rabid gear for better damage and feel free to add a weapon swap (I like axe!) and some better utility options.

Disregarding the /kneel comments...In all seriousness if you intend to play this game in the long-term guardian is a better choice. Guardian is at times not the optimal but it never has been outright bad whether it is PVE (quickness , aegis), WVW (stability), or PVP.

In its current state even if you are a pair of casuals , guardians get into groups for strikes and fractals far easier than necros do, for good reason. The only support spec for necro is scourge, which has an even darker theme. Even a half support spec condi firebrand with quickness runes will be generally more group oriented than a reaper with blood magic.

So 1. for a more pleasing aesthetic (no dark theme) go guardian , 2. for easier grouping go guardian , 3. for general higher performance in most scenarios go guardian , 4. if staff is wanted the only meta staff is heal firebrand staff (and DH traps)

I would advise against druid because unless you're playing raid content it generally isn't a requested spec. In openworld it will take you longer to kill things on druid than on condi firebrand and you can't outheal massive hits but you can block them effortlessly with aegis.

If you don't believe me just go to each profession forum. Necro forum is always full of complainers because their specs aren't doing top DPS on a stationary golem , ranger forum is always full of "why doesn't anyone want me in WVW" or playing druid in fractals in 2020 when chrono isn't requested in fractals, and guardian is usually not unless it's about PVP against classes with stealth/boon rip/evades.

edit: If aegis timing is a problem use longer duration blocks such as Shield of Wrath on Focus

+1 to staff/staff mirage. Super newby friendly build, purple butterflies, portal for jp lovers, etc.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:Staff Mirage is the build you're looking for (I mean, as an alternative to druid). You don't need any skill, timing, or knowledge at all to play this build. Just push 1 and dodge over and over and you win. If that's not a perfect fit, it even has a purple butterfly theme (which I happen to prefer over the dark necro theme myself!)!

@SunTzu.4513 said:She likes the Druid theme pretty much. She plays the Naturemage/Druid Archetype in every solo RPG if the class is avaible.

But from my point of view thats maybe not the best choice because Druid seems not that strong DPS wise for OW and Story also she liked Staff and Traps no idea how to make this work together.

I would encourage her to play what she is enjoying. There are no best choices here. The suggestions above might be ‘easy’ but also might not be ‘fun’ for your friend.

Your viewpoint comes with a lot of experience. Sometimes with experience we forget the basics of playing the game, what it is like to have an overwhelming number of choices. If your friend wants to try something, help them with doing what they want, not with what your experience tells you.

Sometimes players need to have their own learning experiences with professions to understand why some choices are more effective than others. But given that open world is fairly easy you could help them make a viable build that they enjoy and still be successful, just in a different way than a seasoned player may approach it.

Well the first thing I guess you can tell her is that she doesn't have to use any Elite Spec if she doesn't want to.

My first and arguably "main" character is a Core Ranger that almost never uses Elite Specs.. I just prefer it as it is.As far as Druid goes, it may seem weak specially as far as the typical meta crowds go but for general PvE, exploring and collecting etc as you said your girlfriend likes to do.. Druid is perfectly capable of doing that with either a power or condi build.

If she ain't planning on doing any hard group based content as a DPS character then Druid or Core Ranger is probably the best bet for her.And if she likes playing the healer role then she can adopt that playstyle in those harder modes too.

As far as collecting stuff goes you really can't beat Ranger for that in Gw2.. you essentially have an entire pet collection quest with Ranger that is exclusive to that class alone.In fact that was one of the main reasons I choose the class for my first ever character all those years ago as well.

Let your friend play some other professions and she will know which one of them suits her the most in time. (P.S Talk about no dark themes. If I wanted to recommend a profession or two for those who were new to the game, I would say, Ranger:excels at firing arrows from afar and adept at fighting a foe in melee combat if necessary, Elementalist:adept at channelling the spells of the four elements; Fire[for both power damage and condition damage], Air[raw power damage, grants swiftness and some defenses], Water[for healing combos to survive dire situtations] and Earth[continuous, hard damage, grants toughness to withstand a foe's damage] and Warrior: straightforward, easy to play[but mastering it is otherwise], effective on melee combat for it is the warrior's main style.

Started my partner out with warrior, necro, rev and ranger, can't remember which was first, probably necro or rev as most forgiving/facetank. When she was more accustomed to the game and looking for a change I suggested Engi with explosives for sustain/damage until she could get scrapper, which is now tied with Daredevil for her favorite class. She's tried pretty much all of them now.

• 2 weeks later...

the actual question is - is she performing at the level she would need to be successful in end game open world? because if she's really not, let her keep working on that ranger/druid.

There are workable open world druid builds, and as a duo what better pairing could you ask for? She probably won't be able to solo the stuff you can because she does not have the experience you do but I can say that after nearly 30 years of MUD"s and MMORPG's the worst thing you can do when introducing someone to this genre is to try to talk them out of playing what they want to play.

these are social games, and we all had to establish our identities and who we wanted to be in them. help her when she asks, guide her when she is frustrated but whatever you do don't belittle her class/spec choice in any way even if she's doing something weird like a petless core ranger.

She will learn on her own, at her own pace what she does and does not like in MMORPG's, assuming she's not just here to make you happy and because it's your hobby. If that's her reasoning...well...

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say ranger works fine just because she can have SB without merging the pet for exploring (it's just core ranger on steroids at that point) while having druid for if she wants that kind of fix for grander content. It also doubles down as one of the easiest classes to work with, so it checks that box too.

If she had to focus on one, then ranger's the safe pick. Otherwise, promote her to keep experimenting with classes while keeping that focus on one class.

Your girlfriend may just have to accept that aesthetic is not something you can just instantly have your way with. Necromancer has a dark aesthetic on its skills, that is just the way it is. As for apparel, there are a LOT of colors and skins in this game. You can deffo make a necromancer that looks very light and fluffy if you want.Elementalist has a shaman-y feel to it, and since she apparently likes druids who can kick some butt, that wouldn't be far off. A druid who pwns rather than heals is really just a shaman.