Why is Warclaw so clanky to use?

OP is right. I just got my Warclaw and noticed how it's like driving a 1950s Massey Ferguson. Another issue I have is when I'm running and mount up, it usually takes a sharp turn of at least 90 degrees but up to 180. That is at minimum frustrating, and at worst has lead to my death several times when trying to escape a group.

I think it's the WvW maps that is the problem. I tested the Warclaw and other mounts in Tyria and did not have these problems.

@"kamikharzeeh.8016" said:people said that warclaw has the "griffon bug", means when mounting up, the cam gets stuck/locked into position and u gotta move it around a bit to get fine again. name's coming from, bc the griffon apparently has the same issue when mounting up, idk since i don't own one.Because the warclaw is mechanically a griffon, they just cut off the wings and gave it another model. Thats why it looks so chunky.

@Galmac.4680 said:And there's that strange behavior (bug?) that if you are running (without a mount) in one direction, mount up and your mount starts running in a completely different direction. Very annoying if you run near a scarp.that is exactly this griffon-bug, that's why people noticed that it is just a reskinned griffon with lesser base model changes thaha.

@Dawdler.8521 yeah, but if u play on low resolution mostly then everything looks a bit washed, so that doesn't matter for me honestly. if i use better graphics, my game is a lagfest thanks to playing with WLAN and on a laptop :P

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:Because the model and it's movements were originally designed around a higher speed and longer distance jump. And now the kitten stats don't match the animations.

that may be a point, the warclaw got nerfed by now like 5+ times, first time even before it was released lel (when they planned to make sniff mark stealthed pepes)

Anyone else have the issue when mounting up that you see the generic Warclaw skin for a second before it morphs into one of your updated skins? For reference I have the Saberclaw and Sand Lion skins that I use. I guess it's loading the basic stats for the Warclaw first and then changing the skin out a second later. Yeah, I need to upgrade my potato rig, so maybe the delay is on my end, but it's weird they would even program it to always load the basic skin before swapping it out.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone else pointed out, it used to feel much better to use, and had much more powerful masteries. It behaved more like other mounts and was faster and more maneuverable than it is now. It got nerfed into oblivion due to a combination of vectors for abuse being fixed and ENDLESS complaining by gankers and others here about WC's effect on WvW.

In its current form it's essentially an extra 8k health, 2 dodges, and swiftness in case your build doesn't have access to it for when you're running around. You use it because it's there, not because it's actually fun.

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:As someone else pointed out, it used to feel much better to use, and had much more powerful masteries. It behaved more like other mounts and was faster and more maneuverable than it is now. It got nerfed into oblivion due to a combination of vectors for abuse being fixed and ENDLESS complaining by gankers and others here about WC's effect on WvW.

In its current form it's essentially an extra 8k health, 2 dodges, and swiftness in case your build doesn't have access to it for when you're running around. You use it because it's there, not because it's actually fun.

• How could that be fixed then?
  • How can you reconcile the ganker's complaints with fun?
  • Is that even possible?

@Svarty.8019 mate, that is exactly what people here wrote the whole time. the thieves and rangers complained for days that they cannot get as many ganks as before. big sad.

the question is not how it can be fixed. anet only nerfs. now making the warclaw not useless is against their beliefs, i guess? we never liked it, we still have to live with it. nobody even thinks about that by now... and it is not OUR job to fix anets flawed content. especially since the kitty was sorta fine, but got completely thrashed to nothingness.

nobody knows WHY anet even made the warclaw. it was years after PoF release, nobody ever asked for it (seriously / no sane person at least) and they started nerfing it literally at day zero. then tons of additional nerfs happened like less dodges, less HP, less speed... :skull:

@Sylvyn.4750 i noticed using warclaw skins gives me potential additional lag, so i stopped using any skins on it. :-1: probably the same-base model ones like starclaw are better in that regards, but for the pink-panther variant it was at some points horribly bad for me. (outside of the pretty odd looks)

@"Svarty.8019" said:

• How could that be fixed then?
  • How can you reconcile the ganker's complaints with fun?
  • Is that even possible?

I don't think it can be fixed, because like kami said, it kinda already was fun at certain points, they just took all the things that made it fun away (read: anything that actually changed the way WvW was played). Which means they looked at a fun mount and said, "we have to move away from this." No way they backpedal again.

More than that, it's one of those situations where you can't possibly please everyone. There are WvW purists who'd still be happy if core guardian meleeball was still the meta and had never changed in 8 years. Then there are people who want the whole system blown up and rethought. And everyone in-between.

Personally, I fall in the middle. I think video game fanbases have developed the expectation that games like this will be constantly introducing new things to shake up gameplay. (I specify video games because there are plenty of board games that have been enjoyed by players for decades (if not centuries) using the same rule set, but most video gamers lose interest if they're not being fed "new content" regularly.) So we all need to reconcile that change is going to happen. And, on the other hand, resources are finite, and big changes to WvW are not going to draw in fabulous pools of cash, so I wouldn't expect anything too dramatic.

As far as what would make the WC fun: in my opinion, the more unique utility the WC has, the more reasons you have to think about when/whether to mount up in a situation (or whether the enemy is mounted), the more using it feels like a dramatic difference from being on foot, the more fun it is. Because then it is bringing a new dimension, a new experience. If it (like now) is functionally the same as being on foot (or worse in the case of some highly mobile builds) but just acts like a bit of extra meatshield... that's pretty damn boring.

ANet saw an opportunity to relatively cheaply expand existing content from one part of the game into another and provide some of that mixup/fun with the WC. Then they took away all of the things that actually affected gameplay choices, for likely a combination of reasons. As to what their overarching philosophy is on how much and how frequently to change how WvW is played, what their metrics for success are, who they listen to, and what they ultimately want the game mode to be... only ANet can say, and they ain't talkin'.

@Sylvyn.4750 said:Anyone else have the issue when mounting up that you see the generic Warclaw skin for a second before it morphs into one of your updated skins? For reference I have the Saberclaw and Sand Lion skins that I use. I guess it's loading the basic stats for the Warclaw first and then changing the skin out a second later. Yeah, I need to upgrade my potato rig, so maybe the delay is on my end, but it's weird they would even program it to always load the basic skin before swapping it out.

I get this on my griffon also. Which is interesting given what others have said in the thread about the origin of the warclaw model.

@Sarpan.9074 said:OP is right. I just got my Warclaw and noticed how it's like driving a 1950s Massey Ferguson. Another issue I have is when I'm running and mount up, it usually takes a sharp turn of at least 90 degrees but up to 180. That is at minimum frustrating, and at worst has lead to my death several times when trying to escape a group.

I think it's the WvW maps that is the problem. I tested the Warclaw and other mounts in Tyria and did not have these problems.

Oh good, I kept thinking it was only me that had the problem. Today's effort was mounting, immediately falling down a cliff because the mount wasn't facing the way I was facing when I mounted it, and then being killed by two players at the bottom of the cliff while I was in downstate from the fall.

@Hesione.9412 said:

@Sarpan.9074 said:OP is right. I just got my Warclaw and noticed how it's like driving a 1950s Massey Ferguson. Another issue I have is when I'm running and mount up, it usually takes a sharp turn of at least 90 degrees but up to 180. That is at minimum frustrating, and at worst has lead to my death several times when trying to escape a group.

Oh good, I kept thinking it was only me that had the problem. Today's effort was mounting, immediately falling down a cliff because the mount wasn't facing the way I was facing when I mounted it, and then being killed by two players at the bottom of the cliff while I was in downstate from the fall.

This happens with a few other skills too - e.g. using the 3 or 5 skill too quickly after picking up/swapping to ele Fiery Greatsword or warrior greatsword. Not sure if that helps pinpoint the problem, but it is really annoying (and usually fatal) to end up charging BACK into the mess you were trying to get away from however you do it.

How did you end up in downstate after falling off the cliff, though? If the fall does enough damage to dismount you, unlike PvE you go straight to dead.