Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Recommended Posts

On EU I see people chatting in map chat, and sometimes in say chat. It's definitely more common in cities than in other maps, probably because as other people have said it's hard to type while you're in combat. But people will answer questions or join in a conversation in between doing other things.

I'm also in two guilds who use in-game guild chat a lot. I know one uses Discord too but I haven't joined it so I'm not sure if they use it for voice chat or text chat outside the game. My previous guild's Discord was 90% text, they only used voice chat during guild missions, but lots of people didn't join because of the annoying music bot.

Admittedly some maps can be quiet, but it's still an improvement over my very limited experience in WoW during a free trial years ago. It took me about an hour to find another person and all they'd say was "pls leave" (I later found out they had a 'grind spot' and if I was too close the enemies might attack me and then I'd get the XP). When I finally got to a town I was told not to talk unless I was selling something, and new players had nothing worth selling so I shouldn't talk at all. I was later assured that once I got to level 40 or so and joined a guild I'd have a chance to find friendly players, but that experience really didn't encourage me to keep going with the game.

By contrast in GW2 I often see mentors in starter maps offering to answer any questions players have and giving instructions on how to whisper them, and how free players can add friends so they can whisper more people.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"lare.5129" said:most all talks in private and public discord boards nowonly some old casuals sometimes put messages in map chat

Did you just call me old??!!

(Actually I am!)

Jokes aside.Most people do not play an MMORPG for random social interaction. they do it to play a game with others. Wether it is in a guild or in pugs. There is a good amount of social interaction in group content, but it is still "efficient" for the task ahead.

For Lolly gagging you need to go to skyrim chatrooms. Some guilds have discords that do this a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Try hanging around Lions Arch or the racial cities. Those are the places where people go to talk. Most people don’t talk while doing events, etc because it’s too difficult to type and play at the same time.

How do you talk in LA? is there a discord hangout?

The talking I’ve seen is regular map chat.

You type in map chat though, how is that talking?

Link to post
Share on other sites

People will always reply. Just select Map tab and send a message, someone will bite.The maps in Heart of Thorns, Silverwaste, Lion's Arch and most of the maps in Central Tyria will have some talkative players when you play PvE. I've randomly entered a joke in "Map" several times and had some really funny conversations everytime. Unless it's in a middle of a Meta Event, during a Boss fight. If the joke is too good, it might wipe the party. Not one of my best moments.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed wow, but probably because I spent the free trial with three gw2 guild-friends. We did silly things like trigger horses that would kidnap us and send us halfway across the map, or unlocking secret griffon spots so we could ditch someone at a moments notice for doing dumb things like instigating duels between level 15 priests (THEY OUTHEAL THEIR DPS, WHAT THE GOODNESS?!)

I didn't really warm up to anybody in WoW, and people didn't really seem that approachable, so all but one of my friends didn't stick around.

But, yeah, a mmo is only as fun as the friends you make. At least, in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nugget.7203 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:Try hanging around Lions Arch or the racial cities. Those are the places where people go to talk. Most people don’t talk while doing events, etc because it’s too difficult to type and play at the same time.

How do you talk in LA? is there a discord hangout?

The talking I’ve seen is regular map chat.

You type in map chat though, how is that talking?

Here is the [Meriam Webster definition] of the word talk. Among several definitions of the word are.

  • to convey information or communicate in any way
  • written analysis or discussion presented in an informal or conversational manner
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well mostly cuz thers also ppl whos not casuals, and play more serios or have cuple of years in mmorpg or got more sharp personalityIn pve game is so ez that you only group up on hot maps to explore togheter (if) so all social thinks disaperingOther think is ppl much often prefer to pug, when in other more skilled games 80% ppl do it with guilds and spend most time around it

When i started this game i also culd not get used to it that ppl here are more goofy (i not mean to offend anyone)

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Danikat.8537" said:On EU I see people chatting in map chat, and sometimes in say chat. It's definitely more common in cities than in other maps, probably because as other people have said it's hard to type while you're in combat. But people will answer questions or join in a conversation in between doing other things.

I'm also in two guilds who use in-game guild chat a lot. I know one uses Discord too but I haven't joined it so I'm not sure if they use it for voice chat or text chat outside the game. My previous guild's Discord was 90% text, they only used voice chat during guild missions, but lots of people didn't join because of the annoying music bot.

Admittedly some maps can be quiet, but it's still an improvement over my very limited experience in WoW during a free trial years ago. It took me about an hour to find another person and all they'd say was "pls leave" (I later found out they had a 'grind spot' and if I was too close the enemies might attack me and then I'd get the XP). When I finally got to a town I was told not to talk unless I was selling something, and new players had nothing worth selling so I shouldn't talk at all. I was later assured that once I got to level 40 or so and joined a guild I'd have a chance to find friendly players, but that experience really didn't encourage me to keep going with the game.

By contrast in GW2 I often see mentors in starter maps offering to answer any questions players have and giving instructions on how to whisper them, and how free players can add friends so they can whisper more people.

Is that really how WoW is?? What a terrible community. By that review GW2 is light years better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Super Hayes.6890 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:On EU I see people chatting in map chat, and sometimes in say chat. It's definitely more common in cities than in other maps, probably because as other people have said it's hard to type while you're in combat. But people will answer questions or join in a conversation in between doing other things.

I'm also in two guilds who use in-game guild chat a lot. I know one uses Discord too but I haven't joined it so I'm not sure if they use it for voice chat or text chat outside the game. My previous guild's Discord was 90% text, they only used voice chat during guild missions, but lots of people didn't join because of the annoying music bot.

Admittedly some maps can be quiet, but it's still an improvement over my very limited experience in WoW during a free trial years ago. It took me about an hour to find another person and all they'd say was "pls leave" (I later found out they had a 'grind spot' and if I was too close the enemies might attack me and then I'd get the XP). When I finally got to a town I was told not to talk unless I was selling something, and new players had nothing worth selling so I shouldn't talk at all. I was later assured that once I got to level 40 or so and joined a guild I'd have a chance to find friendly players, but that experience really didn't encourage me to keep going with the game.

By contrast in GW2 I often see mentors in starter maps offering to answer any questions players have and giving instructions on how to whisper them, and how free players can add friends so they can whisper more people.

Is that really how WoW is?? What a terrible community. By that review GW2 is light years better.

Well, that was one players experience on one randomly chosen server years ago. I can't say if it's representative of the whole game. But since it was my experience it certainly didn't encourage me to keep going with the game.

There's a lot of other reasons I never got into WoW, including the subscription fee, gear treadmill and being annoyed that they destroyed Quel'thalas in WC3 (even worse, they made me destroy it). But I was playing the free trial to see for myself what it was really like, open to the idea that the rest of the game might make up for the parts I didn't like and ended up deciding it wasn't for me. The lack of friendly players in starter maps wasn't the whole reason but it certainly didn't help, especially knowing I'd need a group for stuff later on.

My first time in GW1 was very different. There were lots of people in pre-searing (the base game starter zone) even though the game had been out for a while and Factions had come out, they were talking to each other, even offering help with quests. (There's one quest which requires 2 players and people would either group up to do the whole thing together or one would come along just to help out with that step and then leave.) If I asked a question I'd get helpful answers and there was usually a conversation going on in town. My first time in GW2 was similar, but that was during the beta tests and then the launch, so I don't think it's surprising people were talkative then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing I have noticed, the 2000-2014 gamers were the social gamers. They talked, they helped, they had laughs, they were fun.

All we are left with is mutes and griefers. I honestly do not understand what has happened to the gaming community of todays age.

You sometimes get social interation within gw2, but dont bet your cards on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@kharmin.7683 said:Voice chat applications weren't as prevalent in 2000-2014

Yeah, I still haven't been able to feel comfortable gaming with a microphone and headphones but I am oldish. It makes sense that modern gamers probably prefer this rendering in game typed chats less used. Honestly though, I have little to no trouble finding people to map chat with in GW2. I am typically online at a time more people are logged in so that may be why.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...