WHAT RACES WOULD YOU LIKE TO ADD TO THE GAME?

Nortt.9310

5 minutes ago, medivh.4725 said:

Awakened is most cool. Think of the possibilities with dressing, magic effects, weapons, etc

Have to agree, awakened or even risen would be my first choice, I really want something with a bit of darkness about it.

• Like 1

If I could, I'd add an entirely new race of reptilian ppl. I don't have a name for them but they'd be an evolutionary offshoot of the Forgotten except they'd have 2 arms and 2 legs, stand upright, and almost as tall as the shortest norn. They'd also have tails but theirs would be half the length of the charr tails

Tengu seem pretty likely imo. I know there are naysayers but I feel like it's a strong possibility.

I'd like to see NEW races introduced though from other parts of Tyria that we haven't interacted with.

I always thought an elephant-humanoid race would be cool and isn't something I've seen in other games. 

But uh.. honestly aside from Tengu I'd be pretty content to just see them add more combat tonics for races that are in the game. Combat tonics for things like Forgotten, Exalted, Mursaat, Seers, Krait, Djinn, Largos. The animations might be a little challenging but a lot of the current ones don't have correct animations anyway like the Kodan so what does it matter?

• Like 4

On 5/31/2021 at 4:15 PM, medivh.4725 said:

Awakened is most cool. Think of the possibilities with dressing, magic effects, weapons, etc

Undead can be cool as well. 

And not only would they be awakened, but they would be like an awakened Human, Sylvari, Asura, et cetera.  So it would be easy for existing armors to fit them.

Edited by Tom.8029

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 3:15 PM, medivh.4725 said:

Undead can be cool as well. 

So easy to do as well, Just give each race a "Awakened" Skin option from character creation screen. You would then be able to make existing characters into Awakened with total make over kits.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 1:39 PM, Fenom.9457 said:

Dwarves were a race anet wanted to write out, I know. But in my opinion turning them to stone backfired on anet for that, because it made them super interesting. Also, jut because something is a stereotype doesn't mean it's bad or needs to be avoided. Who doesn't love dwarves?

Imagine broken stone Dwarfs with bodies partially rebuilt using Asura Golem tech.  A Dwarf head hovering in the middle of a Golem body.... Dwarf with magitch arms and so on. 

On 6/4/2021 at 1:42 AM, Mediahead.3542 said:

If I could, I'd add an entirely new race of reptilian ppl. I don't have a name for them but they'd be an evolutionary offshoot of the Forgotten except they'd have 2 arms and 2 legs, stand upright, and almost as tall as the shortest norn. They'd also have tails but theirs would be half the length of the charr tails

Sounds a bit like Nagas.

Personally, as mentioned before, only see Tengu as only realistic option. Something to properly distinguish itself, not being pro e to collective hive mind or being undead/minion of a dragon or similar.

Dwarves are more or less extinct, they fought their wars below and their resurfacing in the DRM (as support faction) should be shunned as a one-off and one they should delve again to keep the Destroyers at bay.

Largos, too solitary. Quaggans, we don't need to become a Korean mmo with this kitten race. Skritt, no thanks, if I want to play a rat (with brains) there's Asura already. Kodan, also too dependent on the collective/Koda voice.

I'm not sure. I like the Tengu idea, but that would be weird to try to integrate them gameplay wise into any content prior to EOD (where they might theoretically be introduced).

I always liked the idea of Largos, Quaggans, and Skritt as well, but I don't see any of those happening really. Skritt and Quaggans were treated as lesser races within the Personal Story, and Largos are too mysterious and rare of a race to really see them become playable, so it would make even less sense to try to make them a "Commander" and fit them into the game world as a playable race to me.

Edited by Faridah.8431

I feel like adding new races similarly to the new profession is a bad idea.
They always feel a bit less exciting than the existing ones in comparison. Revenant suffered slightly due to its release with elite spec at the same time. While other professions got something new, they were just there.

With the addition of Cantha, the personal story part for a new race might not fully make sense. If Cantha is released as a new set of lvl 80 areas, there might be no room for that. Should we simply say that Tengu would start with a story at a different lvl? That would make them only a cosmetic change with no extra content. Not a fan of such additions, especially for Tengu since they are currently the most secretive and mysterious of the races we've met. We still haven't seen what they've done with the place (I mean Dominion).

I'm more excited to see them as NPCs than to get another playable race that's hard to dress due to the weird shapes and sizes. I still have my charr just sitting there collecting dust (or birthday gifts) at lvl 80. 

• Like 3

Mursaat.

Having them return after the dragons (the reason the phased out of tyria) in order to §reclaim what was and still is rightfully theirs" would be awesome.

Maybe make a subgroup of them who try to coexist with the others races and have them being a playable race.

• Thanks 1

Playable race?

Honestly, none.

Race adds nothing substantial in terms of gameplay mechanics in GW2. It would be a lot of work for a few moments of novelty. Combat tonics, or even "outfits" that turned you into other races though may be fun (some exist already, but have various limitions). I would love to have full functionality, including mount riding, while being a skritt, quaggan, tengu or whatever.

Racial inspired elite specs would probably be more interesting from a gameplay perspective, however. POF kinda did it, although everything was technically human race based, but it was pretty well connected to the history and culture of Elona.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 5:08 AM, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

I feel like adding new races similarly to the new profession is a bad idea.
They always feel a bit less exciting than the existing ones in comparison. Revenant suffered slightly due to its release with elite spec at the same time. While other professions got something new, they were just there.

With the addition of Cantha, the personal story part for a new race might not fully make sense. If Cantha is released as a new set of lvl 80 areas, there might be no room for that. Should we simply say that Tengu would start with a story at a different lvl? That would make them only a cosmetic change with no extra content. Not a fan of such additions, especially for Tengu since they are currently the most secretive and mysterious of the races we've met. We still haven't seen what they've done with the place (I mean Dominion).

I'm more excited to see them as NPCs than to get another playable race that's hard to dress due to the weird shapes and sizes. I still have my charr just sitting there collecting dust (or birthday gifts) at lvl 80. 

The only way I can see a new playable race like Tengu working thematically within GW2 is if the Cantha expansion is more built like a campaign vs expansion in the style of GW1. But to do that, you'd have to build out an entire Cantha centric personally story/maps for them that then leads into EoD which acts as an expansion for everyone else and the Cantha level 80 areas. Given the scope of previous expansions, this seems extremely unlikely to happen.

But then there's the fact you still need the HoT and PoF masteries for gliding and mounts, among other things. So is that also in the style of GW1 (re-living past events)? 

I just don't see that happening. There's no good way I can see inserting a race like the Tengu as playable.

Edited by Faridah.8431

12 minutes ago, Faridah.8431 said:

The only way I can see a new playable race like Tengu working thematically within GW2 is if the Cantha expansion is more built like a campaign vs expansion in the style of GW1. But to do that, you'd have to build out an entire Cantha centric personally story/maps for them that then leads into EoD which acts as an expansion for everyone else and the Cantha level 80 areas. Given the scope of previous expansions, this seems extremely unlikely to happen.

But then there's the fact you still need the HoT and PoF masteries for gliding and mounts, among other things. So is that also in the style of GW1 (re-living past events)? 

I just don't see that happening. There's no good way I can see inserting a race like the Tengu as playable.

It could actually work but Anet would have to create a specific class towards it since i believe most skeleton animation would have to be new, would love that hapen as well with koda

Avicara. light armor  dagger dagger, no stealth, very selfish gameplay, leaps and rushes weapon skills using stances has utilities.

Koda: medium armor: hammer hight vit, that could emppower themselves while removing chill from alies, something like a icy  paragon version utility effects more direct effect and very poor boons.

Would not have elite spec as well 😛 just core classes even in future.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

On 7/17/2021 at 4:47 AM, Imba.9451 said:

Mursaat.

Having them return after the dragons (the reason the phased out of tyria) in order to §reclaim what was and still is rightfully theirs" would be awesome.

Maybe make a subgroup of them who try to coexist with the others races and have them being a playable race.

Love too see what a female Mursaat look like I picture them with a avian like head.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 10:14 AM, starhunter.6015 said:

Imagine broken stone Dwarfs with bodies partially rebuilt using Asura Golem tech.  A Dwarf head hovering in the middle of a Golem body.... Dwarf with magitch arms and so on. 

Why did the not want add them the make sense as a playable race besides Teugu.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 1:47 PM, Imba.9451 said:

Mursaat.

We killed the last Mursaat in Season 3.

58 minutes ago, eyelogix.1654 said:

We killed the last Mursaat in Season 3.

Eh, open ended enough to argue that there are still some of them phased out in the mists. The eye of Janthir vanishing only suggests that the ones in tyria are gone.

Re-writing Mursaat into the story would actually be easier to justify than anything that happened in IBS after drizzlewood coast.

Edited by Imba.9451
  • Confused 1