Eventscaling and instant killing mobs

moony.5780

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know how good Anet is at balancing things fairly without punishing anyone ...

And I don't know where the maps are empty. On the contrary, even without Daily, the core maps are filled with beginners and veterans. Since map completion is a thing in GW2.Above, a simple solution has already been mentioned how the problem of daily rush could be solved.The developers should rather consider how to revive maps that are really dead :).

I remembered alpha with centaurs event in queendale. There were so many centaurs in each wave, it was very challenging and without proper cooperation, it was a death player field.ANet got many complaints about difficulty and sadly lowered it. It was a mistake, now most core events are easy, sometimes even NPC alone can complete them...

Event scaling is terrible as previously said. Player scaling is bad too. Too many players get 80 with tomes, do elite rush and complete maps with their OP toon. For new players or others that play the old way, they will have a hard time to get credit or fun.

Mounts also add another issue. Players can move faster than other, and have a special skill. The latter will for example pull 5 mobs away from that new players that was fast enough to place an aoe skill. But the former is just as bad because by the time you can close 1500-2000 range even with swiftness, mobs will be dead.

As an old school player without mounts, I must anticipate a lot to fight my own in events. If I do not, I'll get that bronze medal, silver if lucky.

Please note that reward is not everthing. You could have a lot of fun, even challenge, if alone but nothing will several or many people. To a point that you feel you didn't contribute to that success.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:I remembered alpha with centaurs event in queendale. There were so many centaurs in each wave, it was very challenging and without proper cooperation, it was a death player field.ANet got many complaints about difficulty and sadly lowered it. It was a mistake, now most core events are easy, sometimes even NPC alone can complete them...

Event scaling is terrible as previously said. Player scaling is bad too. Too many players get 80 with tomes, do elite rush and complete maps with their OP toon. For new players or others that play the old way, they will have a hard time to get credit or fun.

Mounts also add another issue. Players can move faster than other, and have a special skill. The latter will for example pull 5 mobs away from that new players that was fast enough to place an aoe skill. But the former is just as bad because by the time you can close 1500-2000 range even with swiftness, mobs will be dead.

As an old school player without mounts, I must anticipate a lot to fight my own in events. If I do not, I'll get that bronze medal, silver if lucky.Please note that reward is not everthing. You could have a lot of fun, even challenge, if alone but nothing will several or many people.

I guess just lowering the own DMG already result in haveing more loot in some events, but these will be then farmed more. But I can imagine this really well... if all events are balanced good, and everyone could just switch between an easy and difficult mode, then player will not only go for the latest update, but also revive all other excisting maps. Compared to how i remember core tyria before HoT and PoF...maps became really empty and events are really boring to do.

@kharmin.7683 said:I have found that by turning on the mentor tag, and the politely asking players to not kill with mounts during events so that others can tag for credit, often works. Not every time, but more times than not.

I guess i will spam all starter areas with the message, to not 1 shot stuff and vetrans can easily buy a lower weapon for 2 silver x) (just in a politer way ofc!) But i think i cant change the game with this....but all i can do is hope i can have impact on the whole gw2 community.

Unluckily... only 1 selffish guy can destroy an event...so i still think giving him reward and he cant destroy the event anymore sounds like a good option.

@moony.5780 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:I have found that by turning on the mentor tag, and the politely asking players to not kill with mounts during events so that others can tag for credit, often works. Not every time, but more times than not.

I guess i will spam all starter areas with the message, to not 1 shot stuff and vetrans can easily buy a lower weapon for 2 silver x) (just in a politer way ofc!) But i think i cant change the game with this....but all i can do is hope i can have impact on the whole gw2 community.

Unluckily... only 1 selffish guy can destroy an event...so i still think giving him reward and he cant destroy the event anymore sounds like a good option.

Exactly. We can only try to change the culture, but it won't change if we don't try.

Welcome to Guild Wars 2 (^.^)/ Please note, that this is a coop open world game :) You can play with everyone even outside a group without losing loot and just have fun!

Dear Vetran player, please be careful not to kill everything before others also hit the monster! Pls wear a lvl 1-20 weapon in beginner areas and help others to enjoy the game! Thank you!

Something like this? Im just worried new player will missinterpret this message beeing spammed all over the maps, and think this game is bad because of its poor balancing...

@moony.5780 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Those who choose to ignore my request will continue to do so anyway.And how to make them stop that they dont ruin the game for others?There is no way to make anyone stop anything. It's an MMO. Just like in real life, there are people who choose to be less considerate of others and the rest of us have to learn how to deal with or around them.

@moony.5780 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Those who choose to ignore my request will continue to do so anyway.And how to make them stop that they dont ruin the game for others?

You don't, you accept that some players/people are going to do their own thing.

However, I say this believing that the issues presented in this thread are not as widespread as claimed. I do my dailies, I go to these low level areas, and I see plenty of events that are not over instantly. I see players asking others to auto attack and slow DPS, to not use their mounts, and generally, it is effective enough.

Perhaps you should focus your energy on smaller groups of players and promote healthy game play and interactions one party or squad at a time.

I never play on a map that it's daily, especially when I decide to play a new character. Even if I'm able to get credit using a ranged weapon, it's simply not fun to predict where a red dot will spawn and chase it before the others. The funny thing is that many players think that they are "helping" the new ones in this way. Anyway, it's not a big problem for me, there are many other maps and I don't care about the daily quest. We should ask what truly new players think, not veterans on the forum. But we can't :/I wouldn't be against a nerf for players lv80. Only a slightly nerf for the player's stats, but much bigger for the mounts' skill: they are (still) definitely OP in core maps.

I know this will never happen, but putting all level 80s + MP on overflow maps, whilst leaving the new players in low-level zones alone in the main may be helpful. That way, the new folks have a place to grow and learn and the veterans have a place to do map completion and events. And, of course, scale down the heckin' mount damage in the starting area.

Before you read my messages, i really thank you for your comment :) and i say to everything something, but that doesnt mean i disagree with everything you say :)

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Those who choose to ignore my request will continue to do so anyway.And how to make them stop that they dont ruin the game for others?

You don't, you accept that some players/people are going to do their own thing.I can do that if i apply as a game developer :DJokes aside,...During the beta it was easier to tell developer whats good and whats bad....since this dont excists anymore im writing in the forum. Or do u think it fits as a bug report?

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:However, I say this believing that the issues presented in this thread are not as widespread as claimed. I do my dailies, I go to these low level areas, and I see plenty ofevents that are not over instantly.Im the most noisy because its simly the diccusion i started. But there are also others who wrote here that it is a problem, and many many more will also tell you it is a problem if u ask in mapchat. Most people dont use the forums.Sure its not a so huge problem that it effect each and every event in any set-up. Some events are balanced really good and some are balanced really bad.

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:I see players asking others to auto attack and slow DPS, to not use their mounts, and generally, it is effective enough.Its only effectivly enough, if everyone do that, and no others who didnt hear the message joins. So since this is an MMO, this message need to be spammed really often, what is really annoying and frustrating. Also it will make people who hear it so many times think, that something is wrong with the game.Also..i think not beeing able to play a class the way you want steals the fun. I think adding a vetran debuff for these who want to use it (not forcing but voluntary) sounds good. But also that idea need a lot to think of because it my result in a disaster.

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:Perhaps you should focus your energy on smaller groups of players and promote healthy game play and interactions one party or squad at a time.I will do that if i have time :)But i will still write here, because I dont want to dedicate all my gameing time on this problem, especially that i dont make a difference. If im in the mood for helping new player i do, and if i see something wrong i tell people,....but this problem will excist forever this way.....

Asking players to be more considerate/thoughtful about others has these drawbacks:

1. compared to the total playing population, there are very few high level players on any one map, so a request to players in map chat reaches very few players
  2. high level players may enter the map after the request to be more considerate
  3. high level players may have finished their dailies before the request to be more considerate
  4. some players have map chat turned off
  5. some players with map chat on, may not be consistently reading it and may miss the request
  6. some players don't care about the effects of their actions on other players
  7. some players who amend their behaviour after the request may revert to their previous behaviour at a later time

Thus, asking players to be more considerate about newer players is going to have an insignificant effect on player behaviour.

The problem is dailies on those lower level maps. The solution is for those dailies to be unavailable to players who have a level 80 on their account. The mounts are account-bound rather than character-bound, so the conditional has to be maximum character level.

Finally, I refuse to be everyone's mom.