What actually makes Burn DH strong - nerf Burn DH & buff/rework Power Guards

GuriGashi.5617

As I think there is alot of misinformation being spread about the current issue with Burn Dragonhunter and people are suggesting ineffective adjustments I would like to give my input as well, while trying to be as objective as possible, because I main Guardian since beta

First of all, the situation we are currently witnessing with Burn DH is the result of constant overnerfs on ArenaNets side, because they don‘t simply adjust overperforming Guardian specs, but straight up eradicate them from competitive play.Firebrand neither offers any form of damage whatsoever nor good support anymore, Core Guardians got the single most reliable way to do power damage as the slowest class ingame taken away since the symbol nerf, a nerf that makes power builds obsolete through our class mechanic and the one last gimmick build Guardians are resorting to, Burn DH, will and should be nerfed. I hope though that ArenaNet won‘t simply nerf Burn DH without giving Guardians some form of power damage, that we can land with our little mobility or I can promise the next meta will be even more bunker heavy, since Guardians will have no more incentive to invest into damage specs and Healbreakers will run on a rampage through PvP.

As I myself think Burn DH should be nerfed as well, it is important to point out what the issue actually is.Neither the condition „Burn“ nor Rune of the Trapper are currently overpowered for basically the same reason, other classes can‘t utilize them as well and make them feel as oppressive. Nerfing burn as an important source of damage would simply make the whole meta even more of a bunker party, nerfing RoT would change absolutely nothing.What makes Burn DH so strong at the moment is the extreme synergy Permeating Wrath offers with Sword of Justice and Eternal Armory. Individually they aren‘t actually strong and can‘t even put up alot of burn uptime, but combined they complement each other too well.What I think should be nerfed isn‘t Permeating Wrath, which offers base 2s burn, but Sword of Justice and Eternal Armory, by turning SoJ from a multihit attack into a one hit attack. All synergy with Permeating Wrath would be instantly gone and the gimmick wouldn’t work anymore

@"snoow.1694" said:

Anet's design philosophy is to fight the natural progress of evolution, which is an exponentially complex problem. "Life finds a way," as it were. Trying to control every outlier is a lesson they should have learned from just watching Jurassic Park.

I've been here, patch after patch after patch and it's always the same thing, but a different spec or build, and the hole only gets deeper as we slowly drown ourselves in these nerfs. It won't stop until people get a grasp on mathematical truths about the design philosophy...analyze what nerfs and buffs ACTUALLY do rather than what they THINK it does.

Strongly disagree.

SoJ and Permeating Wrath are fine on any other build. Go try it on FB and see how effective it is (hint: it isn't).

This is 100% a trapper-rune issue.

Without traps and trapper-runes, a burn DH would either be permanently in down-state, or, they'd have to give up either the Zeal or Virtues trait-lines to gain some sustain, which would mean the damage output would drop WAY off.

@Ragnar.4257 said:Strongly disagree.

SoJ and Permeating Wrath are fine on any other build. Go try it on FB and see how effective it is (hint: it isn't).

Trapper Runes can‘t put 22 stacks of burn onto you and it is 100% a SoJ issue. It applies burn on each hit as well as proc‘ing Permeating Wrath every 3rd tick to add even more burn.I mean I wouldn‘t care about Trapper Runes being removed, do that, but your team would still eat the same burn stacks. It wouldn‘t change anything

@snoow.1694 said:

Trapper Runes can‘t put 22 stacks of burn onto you and is 100% a SoJ issue. It applies burn on each hit as well as proc‘ing Permeating Wrath every 3rd tick to add even more burn.I mean I wouldn‘t care about Trapper Runes being removed, do that, but your team would still eat the same burn stacks. It wouldn‘t change anything

Without traps and trapper-runes, a burn DH (running Zeal, Virtues, DH) would either be permanently in down-state, or, they'd have to give up either the Zeal or Virtues trait-lines to gain some sustain, which would mean the damage output would drop WAY off.

Running Zeal, Virtues, DH as trait-lines means ZERO sustain, and a build like this will instantly die to anything that can see it coming. The ONLY thing that makes this trait setup viable is trapper runes.

The sooner trapper runes get removed, the better, so we can stop all this flailing around by people trying to nerf everything expect what is obviously the issue. Unfortunately, nerfing everything expect what is obviously the issue, is standard operating procedure at ANet, so, I'm pretty depressed right now about the future of guardian as a whole. It really sucks that this one build is going to get core power guard and FB nerfed even harder.

@Abyssisis.3971 said:Imo it’s synergy between symbolic power and permeating wrath that makes it strong. Land a symbol onto more than 1 target and every hit from every skill is proccing an aoe burn from justice passive.

Burn Dragonhunters wouldn‘t be able to drop nearly as much burn if they just equipped Symbolic Power and Permeating Wrath and removed SoJ. Majority of the damage comes from SoJ casts, though Symbolic Power also plays a role

@Ragnar.4257 said:

Trapper Runes can‘t put 22 stacks of burn onto you and is 100% a SoJ issue. It applies burn on each hit as well as proc‘ing Permeating Wrath every 3rd tick to add even more burn.I mean I wouldn‘t care about Trapper Runes being removed, do that, but your team would still eat the same burn stacks. It wouldn‘t change anything

Without traps and trapper-runes, a burn DH (running Zeal, Virtues, DH) would either be permanently in down-state, or, they'd have to give up either the Zeal or Virtues trait-lines to gain some sustain, which would mean the damage output would drop WAY off.

Running Zeal, Virtues, DH as trait-lines means ZERO sustain, and a build like this will instantly die to anything that can see it coming. The ONLY thing that makes this trait setup viable is trapper runes.

Except that we could drop DH in that case, go Valor (Meditations) + Zeal (SoJ) + Virtues (Permeating Wrath) and do the same thing, which some are already doing and it plays the same.Also I think you are overestimating the sustain from 0.5 second stealth a trap offers before it reveals you. Again I don‘t care, nerf RoT as well, but that won‘t solve the problem

I agree with the analysis of what’s wrong. But not the solution- as making it single target will just ruin the mechanic. As a solution I’d say just only touch on the damage of soj maybe nerf the power damage of that a lot and lower the burning a bit- if you think this is still too much just increase cd on utilities like traps to compensate

@snoow.1694 said:

Except that we could drop DH in that case and go Valor (Meditations) + Zeal (SoJ) + Virtues (Permeating Wrath) and do the same thing, which some are already doing and it plays the same.Also I think you are overestimating the sustain from 0.5 second stealth a trap offers before it reveals you. Again I don‘t care, nerf RoT as well, but that won‘t solve the problem

And you're ignoring the superspeed, which is just as significant as the stealth.

Also, dropping DH for Valor means no more Dragon's Maw, no more Procession of Blades. This means that the capability to actually kill anyone who's paying even 1% attention basically goes to zero.

@Dantheman.3589 said:I agree with the analysis of what’s wrong. But not the solution- as making it single target will just ruin the mechanic. As a solution I’d say just only touch on the damage of soj maybe nerf the power damage of that a lot and lower the burning a bit- if you think this is still too much just increase cd on utilities like traps to compensate

/facepalm

Burn DH does too much burning, I know, lets nerf the power damage of guardian!

This forum.... unbelievable.

@Ragnar.4257 said:

Except that we could drop DH in that case and go Valor (Meditations) + Zeal (SoJ) + Virtues (Permeating Wrath) and do the same thing, which some are already doing and it plays the same.Also I think you are overestimating the sustain from 0.5 second stealth a trap offers before it reveals you. Again I don‘t care, nerf RoT as well, but that won‘t solve the problem

And you're ignoring the superspeed, which is just as significant as the stealth.

Also, dropping DH for Valor means no more Dragon's Maw, no more Procession of Blades. This means that the capability to actually kill anyone who's paying even 1% attention basically goes to zero.

Not true, you do the same thing DH is doing, just without Dragons Maw but alot more sustain against conditions. And correct you don‘t have superspeed, but can run Runes of Speed + Retreat, which I basically did the whole last season and was close to getting Top 100 with it, so you saying „you can‘t kill anyone“ is not true

@Ragnar.4257 said:

@Dantheman.3589 said:I agree with the analysis of what’s wrong. But not the solution- as making it single target will just ruin the mechanic. As a solution I’d say just only touch on the damage of soj maybe nerf the power damage of that a lot and lower the burning a bit- if you think this is still too much just increase cd on utilities like traps to compensate

/facepalm

Burn DH does too much burning, I know, lets nerf the power damage of guardian!

This forum.... unbelievable.

I never said too much burning. I don’t even think it needs nerfs- the problem imo with a team fight build that puts down a lot of cleave and gets value is that they are generally spam heaving. Take away instant damage and a bit of the dots will hurt but not take away all the value in addition to increasing cds a bit would make a build like this focus on playing with good timing not just instant reward if that truly is the problem. Not that I think it needs to be nerfed that’s just what I would do to promote a healthy game play for a build like this.

I cannot begin to fathom the madness of people who want to nerf Power Guardian because of Burn DH.

Same thing with core-Engi taking nerfs because of Holo, mesmer because of mirage, etc etc. Absolute madness.

Power Guardian right now is C-tier, but yeah, lets nerf it some more because of Burn DH. Totally makes sense.

@snoow.1694 said:

@Ragnar.4257 said:Whilst we're at it:

Hmmmm, Renegade Shortbow is a bit too strong. I know! Lets nerf herald shield!

Hmmmm, decap-Druid is kinda annoying. I know! Lets nerf Beastmode!

Hmmmm, Scrapper is getting a bit too bunkery. I know! Lets nerf Holoforge damage!

Hmmmm, Reaper damage output is a bit much. I know! Lets nerf Summon Shade!

Actually this thread is about buffing power damage/skills and nerfing rapid burn application for Guardians

We all know that that isn't how this works. Nerfs are never accompanied by buffs in other areas. There are only nerfs.

Might be true, but a nerf is coming whether you like it or not. And honestly it is probably the best, I am myself getting tired of playing such a build and seeing also my own team mates getting wiped. That‘s why I made this thread to signal to ArenaNet „hey we Guardians will face alot of issues in doing actual damage once Burn DH is gone“. We need skills that actually hit, a rapid power damage incease and maybe some actual power damage on our F1 Virtue of Justice (around the damage range of Mace #3). ArenaNet nerfed every single mainhand weapon for Guardians with the symbol nerf and the rest of the skills on our skillbar are either support skills, hard to land for a slow class like us or do too little damage. We are basically left with our autoattack as only realiable damage source

Yes, and whatever nerf is coming, should target Trapper-DH specifically, and not do just as much damage to power guardian, sagebrand, etc etc. The most obvious candidate which would only impact burn-DH is Trapper Rune.

@snoow.1694 said:As I think there is alot of misinformation being spread about the current issue with Burn Dragonhunter and people are suggesting ineffective adjustments I would like to give my input as well, while trying to be as objective as possible, because I main Guardian since beta

First of all, the situation we are currently witnessing with Burn DH is the result of constant overnerfs on ArenaNets side, because they don‘t simply adjust overperforming Guardian specs, but straight up eradicate them from competitive play.Firebrand neither offers any form of damage whatsoever nor good support anymore, Core Guardians got the single most reliable way to do power damage as the slowest class ingame taken away since the symbol nerf, a nerf that makes power builds obsolete through our class mechanic and the one last gimmick build Guardians are resorting to, Burn DH, will and should be nerfed. I hope though that ArenaNet won‘t simply nerf Burn DH without giving Guardians some form of power damage, that we can land with our little mobility or I can promise the next meta will be even more bunker heavy, since Guardians will have no more incentive to invest into damage specs and Healbreakers will run on a rampage through PvP.

As I myself think Burn DH should be nerfed as well, it is important to point out what the issue actually is.Neither the condition „Burn“ nor Rune of the Trapper are currently overpowered for basically the same reason, other classes can‘t utilize them as well and make them feel as oppressive. Nerfing burn as an important source of damage would simply make the whole meta even more of a bunker party, nerfing RoT would change absolutely nothing.What makes Burn DH so strong at the moment is the extreme synergy Permeating Wrath offers with Sword of Justice and Eternal Armory. Individually they aren‘t actually strong and can‘t even put up alot of burn uptime, but combined they complement each other too well.What I think should be nerfed isn‘t Permeating Wrath, which offers base 2s burn, but Sword of Justice and Eternal Armory, by turning SoJ from a multihit attack into a one hit attack. All synergy with Permeating Wrath would be instantly gone and the gimmick wouldn’t work anymore

Lol nerfing burn would make the meta more of a tank party, so it was irrelevant or wrong when thieves said the same but now it serves as a valid argument to not nerf guards burn damage lol. Never changes lol. Sry but I just used thief as a ex and for the record I agree with u.

@snoow.1694 said:

Except that we could drop DH in that case, go Valor (Meditations) + Zeal (SoJ) + Virtues (Permeating Wrath) and do the same thing, which some are already doing and it plays the same.

I would like to see how you engage in stealth, then drop a Dragons Maw combo and run out of combat with superspeed on any other guardian build. The thing is, burning guardian is perfectly fine on all other builds. I don't see the need to nerf anything beside the removal/rework of trapper runes. The build is full glass, and if you take away the stealth/superspeed, it actually goes down pretty easily. I think any build that sacrifices all sustain should have this much offense. The problem is the runes upgrade it to honorary thief.

Also I think you are overestimating the sustain from 0.5 second stealth a trap offers before it reveals you. Again I don‘t care, nerf RoT as well, but that won‘t solve the problem.

I wonder how much you played this build if you think all that runeset gives you is 0.5 second of stealth. It detargets you, it gives you superspeed, if you placed the correct trap your enemies are now crippled etc... the combo is so powerful you can get by with 0 stunbreaks. Also it's a complete heresy, but since this thread is about balance... Trapper Rune bad!

2 condi cleanse o stun breaks near 0 sustain... the build is carry by the runes plain and simple.Try burn dh not using the runes and you will be forced to drop zeals for a sustain trait line and that would change the build completely.The runes as right now gives the oportunity to set up easy burst with the sealth or easy disengage options by superspeed. So yes the build is being hard carry by the runes and dh nor guardian is the problem.

@Bazsi.2734 said:

Except that we could drop DH in that case, go Valor (Meditations) + Zeal (SoJ) + Virtues (Permeating Wrath) and do the same thing, which some are already doing and it plays the same.

I would like to see how you engage in stealth, then drop a Dragons Maw combo and run out of combat with superspeed on any other guardian build. The thing is, burning guardian is perfectly fine on all other builds. I don't see the need to nerf anything beside the removal/rework of trapper runes. The build is full glass, and if you take away the stealth/superspeed, it actually goes down pretty easily. I think any build that sacrifices all sustain should have this much offense. The problem is the runes upgrade it to honorary thief.

Also I think you are overestimating the sustain from 0.5 second stealth a trap offers before it reveals you. Again I don‘t care, nerf RoT as well, but that won‘t solve the problem.

I wonder how much you played this build if you think all that runeset gives you is 0.5 second of stealth. It detargets you, it gives you superspeed, if you placed the correct trap your enemies are now crippled etc... the combo is so powerful you can get by with 0 stunbreaks. Also it's a complete heresy, but since this thread is about balance... Trapper Rune bad!

Imagine saying this build is a heresy. It’s almost as if you could never be wrong. Go ahead and keep playing the build if it entertains u that much

@Dantheman.3589 said:

Imagine saying this build is a heresy. It’s almost as if you could never be wrong. Go ahead and keep playing the build if it entertains u that much

The order of creation clearly indicates that Rune of the Trapper was made AFTER Eve bit into the forbidden fruit. Which means it represents humanity's fall from grace. Save your soul from eternal damnation, delete Rune of the Trapper!

@snoow.1694 said:

Trapper Runes can‘t put 22 stacks of burn onto you and it is 100% a SoJ issue. It applies burn on each hit as well as proc‘ing Permeating Wrath every 3rd tick to add even more burn.I mean I wouldn‘t care about Trapper Runes being removed, do that, but your team would still eat the same burn stacks. It wouldn‘t change anything

Well, that argument is dangerous. I can trait an ele to do terrific damage, bursting down unaware opponents within seconds, no matter how much healing they have.

So why is that no viable build, while it does about as much damage as burn DH?

The answer is the rune. Zerker ele can even easily grab some stunbreaks and use perma swiftness. Teleports are actually easily possible. But the disengage capabilities are so much lower due to no stealth access (and, well, low teleport access even with Lightning Flash). This rune alone gives burn DH the defense it needs to survive.

I would like the rune to be changed accordingly. Make it give protection in the trap radius for example. Make it a team fighting rune, something defensive, maybe even resistance for a second or two with a small iCD (1 second) to even reduce the burst and simple playstyle of just spamming traps. Yes, the 6th bonus can be strong and team fight oriented to make the build kind of viable. In team fights, the burn stacks have counterplay: AoE cleanses from healbreaker, tempest and stuff.

And then buff power guards too. Carefully to not bring back one shots, but they need it. The meta needs it.

This is not just a "Trapper Rune" issue.I do not have Trapper Rune on my Guardian and still it burns enough to turn Rome into ash. Even if you check forums, especially PvP section, you can see that most of topics are about whether "burn damage" or "DH damage."The thing is that, it is actually not about the DAMAGE. There are many builds which can deal increadible amount damage. It is just too rewarding compared to a "brain-dead build."To give an example; I am having trouble with Weavers, actually I am trying to avoid PvP with them. And I do not mind if I lose against a Weaver. Because mastering a Weaver is not easy. They switch attunements, they use crazy amounts of skills and most of them require "combo field" knowledge. They earn this victory.So, what about Trapper DH build? Setting 2 traps and spamming Sword of Justice? It should be very exhausting to play. Also "trigger the traps without taking any damage" tips are so lame.

@"snoow.1694" said:Neither the condition „Burn“ nor Rune of the Trapper are currently overpowered...

Runes of the trapper is a pending issue. It was to strong alongside ranger's traps and the result was that ranger's traps got nerfed. After that it ended being to strong alongside thief's traps and the result is that thiefs traps ended up being nerfed and then directly changed to "preparations". Now it's to strong alongside DH traps and you're basically saying the issue isn't the runes...

Let's imagine that EoD give the necromancer an elite spec with traps, how much are you willing to bet that alongside runes of the trapper it would be balanced? Come on just imagine necromancer with superspeed and stealth...

Other examples: thematically, traps fit both mesmer and engineer so I wouldn't be surprised to see trap given to them in elite spec (mind traps for mesmers and mechanic traps for engi). Just imagine them with extra access to superspeed and stealth. For both it wouldn't hurt thematically at all, but balance wise it wouldn't be less of a nightmare than mirage was with it's seemingly endless dodge.

From the very begining, this runeset is a balance issue, the fact that it wasn't changed yet is what's surprising.