What is your opinion on IceBrood Saga

vier.1327

@"Ashantara.8731" said:

• Story content suddenly forced you through tons of group content and "encouraged" you to have all characters raid-proofed. Well, I have some professions that I only play occasionally for fun and diversion. I never took the time to perfect their meta build rotations and class mechanics (e.g., Revenant). Now I am forced to play through group content that requires you to be good at it (as per DPS meters). And on top of that, you have to look for a new group every couple of missions, simply because the DRMs are interrupted by non-DRM story content that you must play through if you want to proceed. That makes it really time-consuming and irritating, so why put up with it needlessly? Exactly. Ergo I deleted professions I had multiple characters of (except for two which I kept for their age) to make my GW2 life less stressful.I don't know how you are playing DRMs to feel like you need to be "raid proofed" to play them, but they are super easy, even with basic exotic gear.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:I don't know how you are playing DRMs to feel like you need to be "raid proofed" to play them, but they are super easy, even with basic exotic gear.

I don't waste time playing the normal version, as then I would have to do them again on another char for the crystals. So I always play them in CM. If you want them to succeed (e.g., Snowden Drifts) you need to know the profession you are playing or else you are letting the rest of your team carry you. (I wasn't talking just about gear, I was mainly talking about builds and rotation.) I also prefer to play them with KP groups if available to ensure success. "Super easy" is not necessarily what I would call them if you have teammates who don't do proper damage or don't know the mission's boss mechanics and constantly die (I've seen that happen, believe it or not).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to give a rating, as I don't think pinning a number on the whole IBS helps.I liked Grothmar Valley, loved Bjora Marches, liked the map of Drizzlewood but found the whole-map rolling meta exhausting, and can't stand the dragon response missions.

I feel GW2's strengths are mainly in its open world content. To me, that's what MMOs should be about; massive maps to explore with impressive events for the community to take part in. Helping out struggling randos or in turn being helped, forming or joining a group for a big event, that sort of stuff is what keeps me coming back.

Mind you, I'm one of those players who can't stand instanced content (read: dungeons, fractals, dragon response missions, strike missions, raids, etc.), and that's pretty much the same in any MMO I play. There are exceptions; I enjoyed GW1's instances, and Destiny 2's Strike missions are pretty damn good.

What annoys me is that the developers of every popular MMO out there at the moment seem to spend more resources on instanced content than on open world stuff. ANet have been less guilty of this than most, but recently have really fallen afoul of the same pattern of behaviour..

The one that really winds me up is that where mastery points prior to IBS have been reasonable to max out through normal open world play, the majority of IBS' ones are locked behind instanced content.

7/10

For me, Icebrood Saga has been solid up to this point for the most part (Chapter 3). My one problem with season 5 is the trickled release of DRMs with nothing else accompanying them. DRMs are fine, but they're just not enough in and of themselves to justify releasing them alone. At least this week, we get a vision of Aurene with the DRM. Also, I'm not too pleased with strike missions. They were brought in to be the "poor man's raids" to attempt to entice the general public into the...you know...actual raids, but it backfired! I think it just ended up alienating both raiders and the general public. I fear they will end up like dungeons were.

Bjora Marches? Good. Grothmar? Great! Drizzlewood? Great! I am pleased with all of the open-world maps. The Grothmar concert is one of the most interesting events I've seen in an mmo and we should do more events of that nature.

Story? Solid. Yeah...the dialogue gets waaaay to campy at times, however the overall story is sound. It still beats the travesty of season 1 and the poorly written Scarlet. Looking back over the years that I've played, out of all the seasons up to this point, I have to say that season 1 was by far the worst, even though you had some interesting open-world content. Icebrood Saga beats it by a mile.

Score: 1

I liked grothmar, i kinda liked forging steel, everything else im just completely ignoring because of a complete lack of interest and having to get masteries to unlock loot, purchasing recipe's and getting buffs from them that makes this game even easier.

Overall, I like the new DRM mechanic. I get why they are doing what they are doing now, but in the future, it would a nice idea to stich together big maps with DRM stories so they can spend more time with the big maps, rather than pumping out a map every time. It's a neat way to revisit parts of the old world. I won't get any of the hard stuff done, but I really enjoy playing on public and getting hooked up with other people that way.

I still like the season more than LS2.The storytelling techniques have been evolving over the years, which is great, also the prolog exists and strike missions are quite fun.

The plot, however, is getting worse and worse each patch. I sincerely hope that EoD will be a far better story, but I am really starting to doubt the team by now.Which is a real shame. I really liked LS4 and the saga started off so strong. I know Anet can do way better than LS5.

Maybe 4/10, thanks to strikes mostly.

Icebrood Saga does a lot of cool stuff! But between the costs of weapon crafting and the Frost Infusion, it really spoils the rest of the quality content.

Champions is the worst implemented content I have ever seen in the game. This is because Living World 1 doesn't exist. The content is fine. Breaking up a full chapter into parts isn't. It is just a veil for dropping the biggest and most worthless money sink into the game. This isn't doing Anet any favors in the "good will" department.

May Anet NEVER do what is happening with Champions ever again!

STORY CONTENT: 8/10REPLAYABILITY DESIGN : 2/10

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Kurrilino.2706" said:I somehow have a hard time to even call the last episode an episode.It was exactly like the one before without any story. Just portal to 3 locations and hold the town.

That's because those weren't episodes but chapters of one episode (Champions). Still, I agree that these mini bits are not what we are used to from previous LW seasons.

But there is more...

The Icebrood Saga made me delete several characters

GW2 always prided itself on being alt-friendly. Well, it no longer is, which is why I deleted several characters and retired two others. It was shortly after the Drizzlewood release.

Reasons:
  • Content has become very grindy, including playing through the story. I am a completionist, I've always played through the story with all of my characters and I used to enjoy it. But suddenly being forced to play meta events as lengthy and tedious as Drizzlewood with each single character to progress in the story was just too much and downright boring and exhausting. So I said, "No, thank you."
  • Story content suddenly forced you through tons of group content and "encouraged" you to have all characters raid-proofed. Well, I have some professions that I only play occasionally for fun and diversion. I never took the time to perfect their meta build rotations and class mechanics (e.g., Revenant). Now I am forced to play through group content that requires you to be good at it (as per DPS meters). And on top of that, you have to look for a new group every couple of missions, simply because the DRMs are interrupted by non-DRM story content that you must play through if you want to proceed. That makes it really time-consuming and irritating, so why put up with it needlessly? Exactly. Ergo I deleted professions I had multiple characters of (except for two which I kept for their age) to make my GW2 life less stressful.

I've even considered to stop playing with all characters and resort to only my main character from now on when it comes to story content. And I might if the devs continue down this road. I think that's a pretty sad testimony for GW2.

All sounds like a you problem. If a game made you so upset you deleted several characters because of your obsession with being a completionist, perhaps you should evaluate yourself as well.

Average for me.. could have been a lot better but could have been a lot worse as well.

There's a bit in this season that I didn't care much for and a few minor things that really irked me.But there were some good parts as well and so taking the good with the bad I'd say so far overall it's come out average..

That said it still falls far short of LW3, LW4 and both Expansion storylines for me.

@Draconus.9786 said:All sounds like a you problem. If a game made you so upset you deleted several characters because of your obsession with being a completionist, perhaps you should evaluate yourself as well.

LOL, perhaps. :) Or perhaps it was a wise decision, because the game no longer offers as many enjoyable moments as it used to and now I'm better off. ;)

There really no longer is any content that justifies having more than one character per profession just because you like the character per se - because there is nothing that warrants a new experience per character and there hasn't really been since the personal story. The aspect of role-playing has been completely discarded, and the Icebrood Saga made that fully clear to me with its main focus on fighting and grinding and little on story depth and player character development and experience.

1/10 here.

This whole thing is a mess.-The maps are horrible to play-I don't give a dang about wars in GW2 anymore. I am an adventurer for fudge sake-The story is bad beyond saving-The masteries are almost insulting-I don't have words for the WvW map. No idea what they tried here

The only good thing i would ad is how stunning the maps are.What a shame that pure beauty is burdened with horrible map gameplay designsWhy didn't they make the dark forest bigger and spiced it up with a mini story involving it?

I gave it a 5.

The only reason I gave it a 5 and not a 1 or 2, is because I feel they nailed it with Drizzlewood Coast as an explorable map.

Everything about Drizzlewood Coast was amazingly fun and I find myself actually going back to that map for various reasons, whereas I have no reason to go back to other maps. I'll even go to Drizzlewood and help with metas for absolutely no other reason than to mess around in a fun map. That says a lot imo. I don't feel that way about any other map.

Now I'd like to see a new map like Drizzlewood that was truly difficult. Something similar to GW1 where normal maps turn to hard mode maps. That'd be amazing.