Question regarding Labyrinth etiquette

icequeen.5192

The funniest rule is "no trinkets". It's a good idea, if it worked. But there's always those that still wear them. I always can tell, by the amount of 0 loot that I get, while playing on thief so I'm most of the time near the commander.Or those idiots that just won't stop charging with raptor even after you've asked them to stop several times.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:The guy's a jerk. Leave the squad, and do your own thing, including opening doors ahead of the squad. He won't learn, but at least you won't be impacted by his behavior.

Don't do that. Leave the map and find one that fits you. Commander might be a jerk, but they are doing the hard work of organizing, so cut them some slack. Also, the rest of the squad might support the commander's choices, in which case by opening doors ahead of the squad, you'd be ruining it for lots of people, not just the commander.

Does he own that instance? Perhaps he paid ANet to buy it?

Of course no one owns the instance, including the person you're urging on to ruin the experience for everyone else. If there was only 2-3 instances at a time, I might agree with you. But there are so, so many other instances that we can swap to. It's at best churlish and at worst outright trolling to deliberately work against the commander. Don't be that guy and please, please don't recommend to anyone else to be that guy either.

Or, if you don't agree that's the gracious and decent option, let me appeal to your mercenary side: it's much, much, much more loot if the entire instance cooperates and it's ultimately more fun for everyone. More foes are killed more often, bosses (if the commander is going after them) die more easily, and there's no time spent arguing about "we should do this".

If you don't like the commander's tactics, swap instances.(And if the commander crosses the ToS, report them and then swap; leave it to ANet to handle it.)

tl;dr who cares who owns the instance, since there are so many. It's more fun (and more gracious) if you find an instance that suits your needs rather than trying to force anyone else to agree.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:The guy's a jerk. Leave the squad, and do your own thing, including opening doors ahead of the squad. He won't learn, but at least you won't be impacted by his behavior.

Don't do that. Leave the map and find one that fits you. Commander might be a jerk, but they are doing the hard work of organizing, so cut them some slack. Also, the rest of the squad might support the commander's choices, in which case by opening doors ahead of the squad, you'd be ruining it for lots of people, not just the commander.

No, but it's much easier for one person to switch to a copy of the map without a commander and squad and then be free to do whatever they want without any hassle than for the entire squad to move, or to work around that one individual. It's a quick solution (probably just a matter of logging out and back in again) that allows everyone to get what they want.

@Zaltys.7649 said:Telling non-squadies to leave the map? Yeah, that's not okay. It's not his private instance; and some players were probably there before he arrived.

I would've left such squad in an instant, then stuck around to do my own thing.

I think I would turn my tag on, on such a comm with a post "will rez players and do all", just because.

That is not ok of the comm OP, they don't own the instance.

Now, if the commander asked politely, I would be happy to leave. ..but They shouldn't rudely demand that people leave.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:

No, but it's much easier for one person to switch to a copy of the map without a commander and squad and then be free to do whatever they want without any hassle than for the entire squad to move, or to work around that one individual. It's a quick solution (probably just a matter of logging out and back in again) that allows everyone to get what they want.

Why on earth should I spend my time accommodating someone who is trying to be emperor? I will continue to play as normal when there is a jerk running a group. I accept reasonable requests from commanders. But, I ignore unreasonable ones.

@Daddicus.6128 said:Why on earth should I spend my time accommodating someone who is trying to be emperor? I will continue to play as normal when there is a jerk running a group. I accept reasonable requests from commanders. But, I ignore unreasonable ones.

Don't spend any time at all accommodating anyone at all. Accommodate yourself, by moving to a map that will earn you more loot and probably be more fun.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:Why on earth should I spend my time accommodating someone who is trying to be emperor? I will continue to play as normal when there is a jerk running a group. I accept reasonable requests from commanders. But, I ignore unreasonable ones.

Don't spend any time at all accommodating anyone at all. Accommodate yourself, by moving to a map that will earn you more loot and probably be more fun.

That way the commander wins though which is something I won't stand for. Now I won't go around opening doors, but I would stay in the instance instead of accepting defeat and cowering away because a commander told me so. I don't roll that way when it comes to dealing with jerks like that. I actually stand my ground.

All this talk of changing maps brings up a point that's bugged me for some time. What are the options for changing maps? I've been getting out of the mad king's realm and coming back in. That seems to change the map, but is that the best/only way to do it?And why isn't there some way to change maps easily - like a "Change Map" button in the Options or something? (Or is there?)

The only etiquette that I follow is letting the person with the tag open the doors. The reason for this is that I assume that the individual will wait for the people in the zerg to get to the door before starting. That only seems fair. Outside of that, I rez people as I see fit and usually don't bother joining the squad at all. Too many self-important types who have learned the art of leadership by watching war movies for my liking.

Being in the zerg is handy for some reasons:

If you have a tag and might want to command the zerg eventually at some point the commander will have to leave and the game will ask if you want to take over. (they might also need leftenants)

You will see dots for people are and the commander will see them too so doors typically get held until the dots are there (ie, no dot and you might miss a door).

A commander is in a better position to guestimate if the squad wlll wipe or not before opening the door on a boss.

The more people in a squad the more people will join the map and the more loot for everyone.

You get any squad messages.

That said joining a squad is up to you. I never sweat it if someone joins or just runs along.

@"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:All this talk of changing maps brings up a point that's bugged me for some time. What are the options for changing maps? I've been getting out of the mad king's realm and coming back in. That seems to change the map, but is that the best/only way to do it?And why isn't there some way to change maps easily - like a "Change Map" button in the Options or something? (Or is there?)

You can join a squad on another map in lfg and there will be an option to change to their map when you rt click on the user list for the squad.

@"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:All this talk of changing maps brings up a point that's bugged me for some time. What are the options for changing maps? I've been getting out of the mad king's realm and coming back in. That seems to change the map, but is that the best/only way to do it?And why isn't there some way to change maps easily - like a "Change Map" button in the Options or something? (Or is there?)

There is. Use the LFG tool for the specific map, join a squad, move to the map (in this case the labyrinth) (or move to the map and then join the squad, doesn't matter) and then right click on someone in the squad and click "join in Map Name". And if the map isn't full, you'll enter the instance. Sometimes, the player you clicked on isn't in the squad instance either, but you can ask the commander for a broadcast so you can right click his name in the chat.

@MrRay.3027 said:

There is. Use the LFG tool for the specific map, join a squad, move to the map (in this case the labyrinth) (or move to the map and then join the squad, doesn't matter) and then right click on someone in the squad and click "join in Map Name". And if the map isn't full, you'll enter the instance. Sometimes, the player you clicked on isn't in the squad instance either, but you can ask the commander for a broadcast so you can right click his name in the chat.

I really think some of these things should be put in some kind of tutorial for new players, cause they're not really obvious.

Edit: Didn't mean to quote myself, but I don't know how to delete a post.

Haven't personally seen something like that yet.

I never join the squads since prefer to farm on my own. But every time I've jumped in to fight the viscount or lich (and still not being in the squad), I try to play as if I was part of it. So of course I try to res downed players whenever possible and no one has seemed to have any issues with reviving me.

That commander just seems like a real dick is all.

@Doctor Hide.6345 said:

That way the commander wins though which is something I won't stand for. Now I won't go around opening doors, but I would stay in the instance instead of accepting defeat and cowering away because a commander told me so. I don't roll that way when it comes to dealing with jerks like that. I actually stand my ground.Yeah, this is pretty much me.

I wont open doors if a train is clearly running (might sneak one it's part of the daily though). But people are free to come and go from the labyrinth as they please. There's never any shortage of enemies there, so I'll go around killing and looting as much as I care to (not to spite said commander, but because I prefer to play solo).

@Menadena.7482 said:

You can join a squad on another map in lfg and there will be an option to change to their map when you rt click on the user list for the squad.

True, there is that, but it's such a clumsy way to do it. And not great at getting away from organised squad maps. I still think a random map change button would be nice.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The only problem I see is when the commander says, "here's the plan" and someone who doesn't like that plan spends their time undermining it.

This is a rampant issue that is almost completely limited to NA servers (shocker, I know).

Last night I was in a map, and someone who was not the squad commander made the mistake of complaining about people opening doors early, and from that point on every single door was open long before the squad got there.

It's astounding to sit back and consider how much less time the devs would have to spend coding in forced etiquette if GW2 was only EU servers.

On topic: OP, it's not normal. The commander you ran into is clearly someone I cannot describe or discuss on this forum without getting in trouble. Best thing there is to do what everyone else is saying: drop squad and move on. Far to many other options, and it's unlikely you'll run into the same type of people more times than you can switch groups before getting locked for joining too many groups. There are lots of folks out there who are in it for fun.

All that said, this year so far it seems there is a huge uptick in people who treat the Labyrinth like it's AB multi-loot, and that's killing the fun for everyone.

and lets just say this can go both ways.... the commander was not doing doors right and bypassing them... so im left sqaud and told map chat... okay we are going to play trick or treat.... if u go to door u get the treat of mobs for bags... if u go away ill trick u and claim for myself... also towards the end of the hour i play ding dong ditch too dood

@Celldrax.2849 said:I never join the squads since prefer to farm on my own. But every time I've jumped in to fight the viscount or lich (and still not being in the squad), I try to play as if I was part of it. So of course I try to res downed players whenever possible and no one has seemed to have any issues with reviving me.

Yes, in a fight (or just in the open world) I never look if someone is in the same party before I res them, whether I am the commander or not. I do take exception with people who say you have to say thanks though, that takes your eyes off the fight and I see the best thing is not immediately dying .... hit the heal key (if it is active) and keep fighting is the best thanks because odds are I will need them to heal me sooner or later and both of us being down is no fun.

@tenklo.6104 said:and lets just say this can go both ways.... the commander was not doing doors right and bypassing them... so im left sqaud and told map chat... okay we are going to play trick or treat.... if u go to door u get the treat of mobs for bags... if u go away ill trick u and claim for myself... also towards the end of the hour i play ding kitten ditch too dood

To be fair to the commander if it was the lich and/or the viscount often those get skipped because the time/reward ratio is not there, especially with a small group of randoms. Even with other doors I do always not see them right away, a commander is watching many things at once. If it is the 2 bosses your squad is skipping them on purpose, otherwise just mention them on squad chat.

@Danikat.8537 said:Some people definitely have odd ideas about rules for the Labyrinth. One I saw this morning which was new to me was a guy (not the commander) insisting that all level 80 players must remove all trinkets to make it easier for lower level players to keep up. According to him this has been a rule since the very first year and "everyone" knows it and does it as standard, except this one group. (If you're wondering he said he could tell the difference because we were killing things too fast.)

The 'everyone knows' part is ridiculous, but the reason for removing trinkets isn't just for lower level. The overall all goal (from the commanders I've run with) is to lessen damage so that everyone in the squad has a better chance at tagging most of the mobs. Otherwise the first ~5 ppl at the head of the train can easily mow down the mobs on their own. (Maybe it was different in earlier years if ppl used Lab to level up alts frequently.) The one thing I noticed on the two that I've run with who asked (and they did so very politely) is that we have a lot less ppl using mounts to catch up and tag with their mounts which of course resulted in those mobs dying in 1-3 hits.

@Doctor Hide.6345 said:

That way the commander wins though which is something I won't stand for. Now I won't go around opening doors, but I would stay in the instance instead of accepting defeat and cowering away because a commander told me so. I don't roll that way when it comes to dealing with jerks like that. I actually stand my ground.

Eh, the commander is going to win as long ppl are following - whether they're in squad or just traveling with. Not saying anyone has to strictly obey by any means, but sometimes it might be best for the group to vote with their mob tags and find a commander/tag up as a commander with less silly rules.

When I command in the lab I don't care if they join squad or not, for me the most important thing is if players are following my tag, and they always do. I either command people in say or map chat if I need to. This is not a complex event that really needs a squad, it's just more loot if there are more players on the same spot.

@EdgarMTanaka.7291 said:When I command in the lab I don't care if they join squad or not, for me the most important thing is if players are following my tag, and they always do. I either command people in say or map chat if I need to. This is not a complex event that really needs a squad, it's just more loot if there are more players on the same spot.

Exactly. There are advantages to a bunch of people being in the squad but no biggie if they just want to follow along. For the lab the main thing is to tell everyone where most of the people are. Generally the larger lab squads are guilds coming together on the same instance.

A commander can have any rules he wishes for his squad. If you don't like them you don't have to join the squad. You are welcome to stay in that instance even though the commander's rules for his squad may not benefit others.

That being said, that doesn't mean the commander's rules for his squad are not nice. That commander could be a serious jerk. In my personal opinion, that commander is a jerk for making that rule. It is his/her squad however and they can make rules they want. I wouldn't stay with that squad or that map. I don't want to be where people that think a rule like that is OK.

tl/dr: Commanders can make any rules they want. Doesn't mean they aren't jerks for making them.

The really jerk commanders always seem to come out for lab runs for some reason. I did one the other day where he berated his small squad for not knowing how to do the lick and the viscount, although he never gave any tips. Eventually he stormed off saying the squad did not know what they were doing and I took over.

I was tempted to whisper him that we had cleaned up both and did Steve a couple of times. Amazing what happens when you are gasp nice to a squad and actually do things like thanking everyone. :)

Archived