WvW the Absolutely Broken Mess

cobbah.3102

WvW is basically the combination of multiple PvP modes in one. It includes roaming and ganking (both solo or in groups), small skirmishes, organized GvGs, Open Field guilds of different sizes fighting eachother, server blobs, sieging, defending and more. Where would you even begin to balance this mess? Not to mention that different builds shine at different places and different skill levels. And there is no pleasing everyone no matter what you do.

Let's say we try to go for a fully balanced WvW. Everyone has a different opinion on what needs to be changed, balanced or removed about WvW. So, which part of the community do we listen to? Do we listen to the solo roamer who wants more mobility after being chased down by blobs or do we listen to the blob players who can't do anything against roamers or gankers without outnumbering them?The mount was such a big controversy for this very reason. Half of the community felt like they aren't being heard, that the content they enjoy no longer has a place in WvW. A little overdramatic of course but they still had a point. ArenaNet needed change quite a few things about the mount to make sure it is even remotely balanced across all forms of WvW content. And people still continue to complain about the mount.

@"TrollingDemigod.3041" said:Now, imagine how broken must be next e-speces to even "compete" with current kitten.

Bwahaha, new condi that has a 50% chance to insta kill (1200 ranged ofc), new guard elite is now immortal, thie____ ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽▬▬ι═══════ﺤx_x

• 50 vs 5 at 1 corner of spawn on EBG, no siege allowed at spawn, how do you win? Please elaborate..

Hard in any MMO out there. But, in tower/keep fights, easy in DAOC...even in open field. My best ever score was killing 96 with group of 8, in just few seconds. beauty of unrestricted AOE. Its fun because it makes cry people who want to win solely by sheer numbers...it either makes them quit, or learn to play, and both are good in a long run for a game

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

@"yoni.7015" said:I enjoy WvW. if you don’t like it just don’t play it. It’s that simple.

Fact is, WvW is geared to the lowest common denominator relative to skill. Hence the totally out of control application of conditions . .. run around in a blob, drop a kitten load of them in a general direction without really targeting anything or anyone and hope for a kill. A chimp could be trained to do that kitten. Anyone who thinks different is really not being honest with themselves, or anyone else for that matter. That said, if you like it, fine. but try not being dismissive of those who find fault with it.

spoken like a true kitten who never ran in a solid group... people like you on their rangers are one big problem wvw has. you guys sadly have really no effect at all in a "Blob", bc u think everything happens automatically. then u die somewhere a billion miles from the tag on your ranger and /s "res pls", often even before the battle is done yet.

then again, people with that kinda believe are great bag providers.

Like I said, you are just kidding yourself and have no clue what you are talking about.

@Svarty.8019 said:

@yoni.7015 said:I enjoy WvW. if you don’t like it just don’t play it. It’s that simple.

Fact is, WvW is geared to the lowest common denominator relative to skill.

Skill? IMHO that shouldn't be regarded as something positive in a game - it should surely appeal to a broader audience than just the elite? As such, skill shouldn't be seen as something to be lauded or rewarded. I think the Arenanet who made the game might have known this.

Skill shouldn't be lauded or rewarded?? I rest my case. Lolol.

@tippolit.3591 said:

@yoni.7015 said:I enjoy WvW. if you don’t like it just don’t play it. It’s that simple.

Skill? IMHO that shouldn't be regarded as something positive in a game - it should surely appeal to a broader audience than just the elite? As such, skill shouldn't be seen as something to be lauded or rewarded. I think the Arenanet who made the game might have known this.

Absolutely it shouldn't. If you do this, you end up with one person having fun at the expense of many. That appeals to a minority = poor design values.

skill is knowing what u klick when. it got "nerfed" by stripping a billion of dmg of everything but kitten roamerclasses.. but it's still fine. i can still drown a small pepeguild with my wells... we good.

yet, skill should be rewarding. it's absolutely annoying how many people think they can dodge the meta stuff and bring the most random of sh*ts to one of the most endgame formats that gw2 has... and then complain that they get rolled.

it's fundamentally wrong to think u can "chill hide afk farm" in a blob, if the enemy also has one. rather, with that kinda stuff + clouding in kinda situation, you basically help the enemy and kill your own people indirectly (examples: group stealthes and jumps of a wall towards enemy... kitten glides and reveals everyone or is mounted up and does the same stuff). also, if u dont actively fight u'll get less loot... this isn't openworld metas.

the "reward" kinda is to gain levels faster, and with increasing rank u gain more pips = reward track loot faster. (surely the system is a bit flawed, bc old player have a massive advantage from the EotM farm times. some very high ranks seem to come from metas very long ago. hard to imagine how fights even looked without revenants and firebrand and all other elite specs.

@asterix.9614 i mean, core guard even has immortality for a short time :bleep_bloop:

@"Henry.5713" also nailed it. exactly that... balancing chaos, what for? i'd say let's make it more chaos. fractal styled events happening (not 24/7... maybe 3 days a week, randomly 2 different effects) would make the whole mode more interesting again i feel.

the new e-specs will shake up everything nicely as well. will be both, scary and funny.

and hopefully we get a new map as well. a far bigger one would be nice with a more openworldish character. the closer part of queensdale for example would make a great map, if u just put gates into the fortresses (and broaden the walls surely).

plus, the "temporary solution" named "links" needs to be dropped sooner than later. so many people are currently really annoyed by Wvw. might be bc we play so much and therefore all the problem are even more visual than normally...

• 4 weeks later...

@Svarty.8019 said:

@"yoni.7015" said:I enjoy WvW. if you don’t like it just don’t play it. It’s that simple.

KOMiArz.png

fixed that for you

@asterix.9614 said:

@"TrollingDemigod.3041" said:Now, imagine how broken must be next e-speces to even "compete" with current kitten.

Bwahaha, new condi that has a 50% chance to insta kill (1200 ranged ofc), new guard elite is now immortal, thie____ ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽▬▬ι═══════ﺤx_x

Perma blue fire S/S guardian :) with unblocable burns played like a D/D elementalist but with more burn blinks and mobility :bleep_bloop:Theres actually a charr we players fought with this theme :P i assume will be next guard spec.

@Grand Marshal.4098 said:

The only thing I'm looking forward to with the new expac >:)

Very curious as to what they will pull, how op the specs will be and how some specs which underperform rn, will probably be blown out of the water forever (as a warrior main, I believe that Berserker may never have a place in the roaming meta. No matter how hard someone tries to build it, so if something equal or
better
than SPB appears, I'll know what that means).

the same old "in this patch we are looking to adapt the existing traits to be in line with new professions". last time i heard this, they changed for example the guardian staff #1, because after years they decided its is "overperforming".

@Svarty.8019 said:

Absolutely it shouldn't. If you do this, you end up with one person having fun at the expense of many. That appeals to a minority = poor design values.

If you don't want "skill" to be rewarding for the players, then switch the game to one that's fully/almost fully randomized. It's pretty funny to me, because literally even as a child I didn't like games like "war" (probably the most basic card game in existance?), where you have absolutely no influence on the outcome. It sounds like it's something you'd be interested in, because anything more than that would actually require you to show some kind of limited "skill" to win.I'm not saying you're wrong about liking games like that -to each their own. But if you don't want skill to influence the outcome then... pick the games accordingly instead of going for a fairly complex mmorpgs and then claiming that skill = bad design. Because no, it is not.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

If you don't want "skill" to be rewarding for the players, then switch the game to one that's fully/almost fully randomized. It's pretty funny to me, because literally even as a child I didn't like games like "war" (probably the most basic card game in existance?), where you have absolutely no influence on the outcome. It sounds like it's something you'd be interested in, because anything more than that would actually require you to show some kind of limited "skill" to win.I'm not saying you're wrong about liking games like that -to each their own. But if you don't want skill to influence the outcome then... pick the games accordingly instead of going for a fairly complex mmorpgs and then claiming that skill = bad design. Because no, it is not.

We can debate that all day and night. I can understand why anybody would defend the notion, but there's definitely a strong counter-case that many people are all too keen to dismiss out of hand.

@Svarty.8019 said:

We can debate that all day and night. I can understand why anybody would defend the notion, but there's definitely a strong counter-case that many people are all too keen to dismiss out of hand.

"We can debate that all day and night, but instead I'll give you this non-answer and pretend I've answered".Ok.

If this post of yours had literally any point at all, I've missed it.

Noted.

Please allow me to rephrase.

I believe we're at the stage where we're just going to contradict one another.

I'm still as convinced as ever that a very high-skill system is poor design when aiming at as broad an audience as possible.

It seems that there is a pervasive atmosphere around the game that wants to dismiss this as a fiction without any consideration or debate.

Ok -from my understanding you weren't talking about "very high-skill system". You were talking about general idea of "skill rewarding the player = poor design". But if that's what you really think, then the only "poor" decision here seems to be the one you've made when you've picked up a fairly complex action mmorpg. If you expected anything else, you probably should pick a different genre of the game (or stayed in pve mode, which is more of a co-op than player vs player -meanwhile you pack yourself into competitive modes of a complex game and then complain that it's complex, which is unfair because better players are better).

Nobody needs to just "contradict one another", you've never bothered responding to what I said in the first place, which is pretty much: pick games (and their overal genre) according to your expectations. Don't want skill? Pick an "rng" game that's equivalent to flipping a coin (or the war game I've mentioned before) for the win. Anything that requires any kind of knowledge, reflex or skill will apparently be bad design for you, because it's pretty much a guaranteed case of some people being better than "majority". If action mmorpg doesn't reward some kind of "skill" then it's a failure and I'm not sure why you'd expect anything else.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

"We can debate that all day and night, but instead I'll give you this non-answer and pretend I've answered".Ok.

Noted.

I'm still as convinced as ever that a very high-skill system is poor design when aiming at as broad an audience as possible.

It seems that there is a pervasive atmosphere around the game that wants to dismiss this as a fiction without any consideration or debate.

Ok -from my understanding you weren't talking about "very high-skill system". You were talking about general idea of "
skill
rewarding the player = poor design". But if that's what you really think, then the only "poor" decision here seems to be the one you've made when you've picked up a fairly complex action mmorpg. If you expected anything else, you probably should pick a different genre of the game (or stayed in pve mode, which is more of a co-op than player vs player -meanwhile you pack yourself into
competitive modes
of a complex game and then complain that it's complex, which is unfair because better players are better).

Nobody needs to just "contradict one another", you've never bothered responding to what I said in the first place, which is pretty much: pick games (and their overal genre) according to your expectations. Don't want skill? Pick a random games that are equivalent to flipping a coin (or the
war game
I've mentioned before) for the win. Anything that requires any kind of knowledge, reflex or skill will apparently be bad design for you, because it's pretty much a guaranteed case of some people being better than majority of others.

Arguing the same point over and over doesn't persuade me that it is any less wrong than on the previous iteration.

"Pick another game", isn't debating the issue. Nor is "Go back to PvE". I believe that to suggest that [players who don't agree with the dominance of high-skill] should quit is to ask for an empty map and a dead game. Suggesting someone, "shut up and go away", doesn't seem to be a good way to convince them of ...well... anything.

And you're not going to convince me that every MMO is about highly skilled combat.

I play WvW for community and I enjoy the tactic/strategy side of things. I am allowed to play the game how I like, I paid for it.

To be constructive, I shall offer an idea;Utilising an environment to gain an advantage in combat, were the game different, and for an example, could be one way to offer alternatives to high-skill, but is often unimportant due to high-skill's dominance in combat. Several things could be done to mitigate the importance of skill alone. I believe they would be beneficial to the game as a whole as they would provide more scope for a broader variety of players, and that can only be healthy.

@Svarty.8019 said:

Noted.

Ok -from my understanding you weren't talking about "very high-skill system". You were talking about general idea of "
skill
rewarding the player = poor design". But if that's what you really think, then the only "poor" decision here seems to be the one you've made when you've picked up a fairly complex action mmorpg. If you expected anything else, you probably should pick a different genre of the game (or stayed in pve mode, which is more of a co-op than player vs player -meanwhile you pack yourself into
competitive modes
of a complex game and then complain that it's complex, which is unfair because better players are better).

Nobody needs to just "contradict one another", you've never bothered responding to what I said in the first place, which is pretty much: pick games (and their overal genre) according to your expectations. Don't want skill? Pick a random games that are equivalent to flipping a coin (or the
war game
I've mentioned before) for the win. Anything that requires any kind of knowledge, reflex or skill will apparently be bad design for you, because it's pretty much a guaranteed case of some people being better than majority of others.

Arguing the same point over and over doesn't persuade me that it is any less wrong than on the previous iteration.

"Pick another game", isn't debating the issue. Nor is "Go back to PvE". I believe that to suggest that [players who don't agree with the dominance of high-skill] should quit is to ask for an empty map and a dead game. Suggesting someone, "shut up and go away", doesn't seem to be a good way to convince them of ...well... anything.

...why do you avoid what I actually said and instead put your own spin on it? This is an action mmorpg, it is supposed to rewards skill by design in competitive modes, because it's the type of game that naturally rewards full knowledge about it as well as making correct choices and reflexes -and I'm not talking about some insane reflexes, but if you'll be able to react to what is happening faster then you'll be getting an edge. It's far from "shut up and go away", it's more about discussing what the game genre as a whole is and subsequentially what this game IS and SHOULD BE. Meanwhile you dodge all of it and just go straight to "Waow you're just telling me to quit, so you'll be playing this mmo by yourself now!!!11". Nope, that's not what I've said at all.Not only that, but we're talking about this in a more-or-less competitive mode and as I already said before -I don't understand what else you'd expect from the game like this in a mode like this if not for the players to be rewarded for their "skill" here and there. When I said you have an option to play pve instead, it wasn't supposed to be some backhanded remark "GO BACK TO PVE THEN", but instead a suggestion that you can still pick less-competitive-and-more-cooperative modes if you want to play action mmorpg without being punished by players that are ""more skilled"" than you.

And you're not going to convince me that every MMO is about highly skilled combat.

I didn't say "every mmo", I said "action mmorpg". Seriously, try answering to what I wrote instead of twisting my words.

I play WvW for community and I enjoy the tactic/strategy side of things. I am allowed to play the game how I like, I paid for it.

Never said you're not allowed to play it how you want -again, not sure why you've decided to disregard what I've wrote and then play a victim instead. If you won't answer to my post, then there's no reason to quote it.

Utilising an environment to gain an advantage in combat, were the game different, and for an example, could be one way to offer alternatives to high-skill, but is often unimportant due to high-skill's dominance in combat. Several things could be done to mitigate the importance of skill alone. I believe they would be beneficial to the game as a whole as they would provide more scope for a broader variety of players, and that can only be healthy.

Not exactly true that "it's often unimportant" -using terrain and LoS is a good way to potentially get an edge in otherwise unfovarable match-ups as well as nullifying the range advantage. I'm also not sure why you think strategic approach isn't a skill -I think it is. But this is still an action mmorpg, not rts, so I'll insist just like in my previous posts for you to maybe adjust your expectations accordingly to what you're playing. Of course, you don't need to -but then you have no good reason to blame it on the game for being what it's supposed to be.

...or, you know, tag up and play large-scale while commanding the zerglings.

• Confused 1

@woops.1268 said:

• If one side spawn camps (50 vs 5) for 3 hours+ on a 24/7 match that resets once per week, then what happens? Go to PvP as well? (spawn area does not allow siege prints at the moment)

• 50 vs 5 at 1 corner of spawn on EBG, no siege allowed at spawn, how do you win? Please elaborate..

Just making sure - you do realize that even on EBG every spawn has 3 exits? Because apparently this is not a common knowledge somehow.

(and I have hard time believing a single 50 man group would last trying to plug in all holes of the spawn for this long - if there was any formidable force to be safely farmed maaaaaybe, but usually if map is fully claimed by one side, they blob moves to other maps, and if it is not, then instead of wasting time on some stranglers blob goes to claim what's left to claim, and ontop of that they would get bored really fast)

@Sobx.1758 said:

Noted.

skill
competitive modes

war game

...why do you avoid what I actually said and instead put your own spin on it? This is an action mmorpg, it is supposed to rewards skill
by design
in competitive modes, because it's the type of game that naturally rewards full knowledge about it as well as making correct choices and reflexes -and I'm not talking about some insane reflexes, but if you'll be able to react to what is happening faster then you'll be getting an edge. It's far from "shut up and go away", it's more about discussing what the game genre as a whole is and subsequentially what this game IS and SHOULD BE. Meanwhile you dodge all of it and just go straight to "Waow you're just telling me to quit, so you'll be playing this mmo by yourself now!!!11". Nope, that's not what I've said at all.Not only that, but we're talking about this in a more-or-less competitive mode and as I already said before -I don't understand what else you'd expect from the
game like this
in a
mode like this
if not for the players to be rewarded for their "skill" here and there. When I said you have an option to play pve instead, it wasn't supposed to be some backhanded remark "GO BACK TO PVE THEN", but instead a suggestion that you can still pick less-competitive-and-more-cooperative modes
if you want to play action mmorpg without being punished by players that are ""more skilled"" than you

I didn't say "every mmo", I said "action mmorpg". Seriously, try answering to what I wrote instead of twisting my words.

Never said you're not allowed to play it how you want -again, not sure why you've decided to disregard what I've wrote and then play a victim instead. If you won't answer to my post, then there's no reason to quote it.

Utilising an environment to gain an advantage in combat, were the game different, and for an example, could be one way to offer alternatives to high-skill, but is often unimportant due to high-skill's dominance in combat. Several things could be done to mitigate the importance of skill alone. I believe they would be beneficial to the game as a whole as they would provide more scope for a broader variety of players, and that can only be healthy.

Not exactly true that "it's often unimportant" -using terrain and LoS is a good way to potentially get an edge in otherwise unfovarable match-ups as well as nullifying the range advantage. I'm also not sure why you think strategic approach isn't a skill -I think it is. But this is still an action mmorpg, not rts, so I'll insist just like in my previous posts for you to maybe adjust your expectations accordingly to what you're playing. Of course,
you don't need to
-but then you have no good reason to blame it on the game for being what it's supposed to be.

Yes yes, everything I said was wrong, I get it. That's why I said (what seems like forever ago) we'd just contradict one another.

@Svarty.8019 said:

Noted.

skill
competitive modes

war game

...why do you avoid what I actually said and instead put your own spin on it? This is an action mmorpg, it is supposed to rewards skill
by design
in competitive modes, because it's the type of game that naturally rewards full knowledge about it as well as making correct choices and reflexes -and I'm not talking about some insane reflexes, but if you'll be able to react to what is happening faster then you'll be getting an edge. It's far from "shut up and go away", it's more about discussing what the game genre as a whole is and subsequentially what this game IS and SHOULD BE. Meanwhile you dodge all of it and just go straight to "Waow you're just telling me to quit, so you'll be playing this mmo by yourself now!!!11". Nope, that's not what I've said at all.Not only that, but we're talking about this in a more-or-less competitive mode and as I already said before -I don't understand what else you'd expect from the
game like this
in a
mode like this
if not for the players to be rewarded for their "skill" here and there. When I said you have an option to play pve instead, it wasn't supposed to be some backhanded remark "GO BACK TO PVE THEN", but instead a suggestion that you can still pick less-competitive-and-more-cooperative modes
if you want to play action mmorpg without being punished by players that are ""more skilled"" than you

Not exactly true that "it's often unimportant" -using terrain and LoS is a good way to potentially get an edge in otherwise unfovarable match-ups as well as nullifying the range advantage. I'm also not sure why you think strategic approach isn't a skill -I think it is. But this is still an action mmorpg, not rts, so I'll insist just like in my previous posts for you to maybe adjust your expectations accordingly to what you're playing. Of course,
you don't need to
-but then you have no good reason to blame it on the game for being what it's supposed to be.

Yes yes, everything I said was wrong, I get it. That's why I said (what seems like forever ago) we'd just contradict one another.

You're just ignoring what people write to you, which isn't "contradicting one another", but rather choosing to pretend you made a valid statement, while you start realising you didn't. (which isn't always the case, sure, but in this thread this is what you seem to be doing)

• Confused 1

Imagine coming to pvp mode area and saying you shouldnt reward players that spend hundred of hours playing and getting better

@Svarty.8019 said:

Noted.

skill
competitive modes

war game

To be constructive, I shall offer an idea;Utilising an environment to gain an advantage in combat, were the game different, and for an example, could be one way to offer alternatives to high-skill, but is often unimportant due to high-skill's dominance in combat. Several things could be done to mitigate the importance of skill alone. I believe they would be beneficial to the game as a whole as they would provide more scope for a broader variety of players, and that can only be healthy.

no learn the game and play better and play a good build from watching videos or ask people, wvw community toxic but when players genuely ask for help they will help, there many resources in the game use it, game wont change cause dont wanna put time,you will die learn from your mistakes or ask someone better then you , expect u will die alot, if you aren't willing to dont play pvp , go play pve and do same rotation.