Griffon or Skyscale?

• 10 months later...

I started Skyscale over a year ago and made the mistake of Googling the requirements, got over whelmed and shelved it. I decided to finish it this month and got my Skyscale 3 days ago. After playing with it I have to admit I wouldn't do it again. After that huge grind I'm not that impressed with it which is sad because I was really looking forward to having it.

Edited by Ithlia.1830
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Ithlia.1830 said:

I started Skyscale over a year ago and made the mistake of Googling the requirements, got over whelmed and shelved it. I decided to finish it this month and got my Skyscale 3 days ago. After playing with it I have to admit I wouldn't do it again. After that huge grind I'm not that impressed with it which is sad because I was really looking forward to having it.

Skill up the skyscale mastery lines. I asure you, it becomes a LOT better with masteries. And, the 4 dash with bond of vigor is very strong for covering distances.

Its like night and day comparing fully mastered vs the rent-a-scale in dragonfall.

Edited by LucianDK.8615
  • Thanks 5

On 2/1/2021 at 12:36 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

The skyscale can rise straight up a short distance, gain more height by wall jumping once that mastery is trained and can hover in one spot indefinitely but when it's moving it's like when you're gliding - it will gradually lose height and will eventually have to land and take off again.

The griffon moves faster, but it can't gain much height (no more than a jump) on take-off so it needs to start from a height to be really useful and it can't stop in the air - it's always moving forwards. You can slow down in the air, and it's possible to speed up and even gain some height by diving and swooping, but that needs a lot of open space. Also like the skyscale it will gradually lose height as it flies so it can't stay up forever. In the right conditions it's possible to go a long way (like all the way across Desert Highlands from Fortune's Vale to Prophet's Fall) but most flights will be a matter of going between perches.

Griffon can stay still in the air, and about moving from point A to B Griffon is better at keeping height.

Staying in same spot https://clips.twitch.tv/ToughVenomousSnakeRedCoat-uIMzpk1Ie9bqtBdc in the same day this clip was made she showed about keeping height during flight in Rata Sum.

Another Griffon hover https://clips.twitch.tv/HomelySpotlessRhinocerosCoolStoryBro-spzkFEPwNrmw4f8w

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I was going around maps collecting the sunken chests and gathering materials along the way and I used all the mounts at different times. Not deliberately, but I was picking the best one for where I wanted to go and mounting/dismounting frequently to gather materials and found myself using a different mount almost each time.

The griffon is still my default mount because I find it's a good 'all purpose' mount for when I don't have time to think about which one I want, even if it's just getting me to a spot where I can switch to another mount. But I use them all at times, especially the skyscale.

I know it's a lot of work to get both the skyscale and griffon but for me it's definitely been worth it, I wouldn't want just 1 or the other.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

I have never even summoned my griffon since I unlocked the skyscale!

1 hour ago, vanfrano.1325 said:

I unlocked the Skyscale first and the Griffon several months later and I pretty much use the Skyscale over the Griffon most of the time and regret unlocking the Griffon, except for completion's sake.

I was the same way until I saw some griffon videos and set out to learn how to use it well. I worked through the griffon timed adventures and now I use both mounts frequently.

I anticipate griffon is going to be really amazing in New Kaineng.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Griffon is crazy fast, you just hinder yourself if you never use it over skyscale...

Anyway, both are nice, but Skyscale collection REALLY should not include the saddle part, this 250 of each map currency is completely unnecessary (i know the retun achievs make it a lot easier, I don't even know how anyone's ever done it without that), the collection is already long and tideous enough without this part...

Edited by Fleo.7324
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I had stacks of every map currency before I started my skyscale journey. You got lots just for playing the LS maps. These days I just click to turn the excess into VM.

As for the speed difference, what's the rush? If I wanted to skip across maps I would just use waypoints. But I prefer to take my time, wandering round Kryta and getting involve in random stuff.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Well....

Some time later, and i'm really happy i did both!

Dragonfall, Drizzlewood and Bjora (to an extent), are just stupidly inconvenient without a flying mount.

And some farming routes i do were cut in half the time since i got the mounts.

I use both equally more or less. Griffon if i want to cover more ground, Skyscale if i need up, and around or over something.

I sometimes just log in to fly a Griffon around, it's just that much fun!

Also, don't compare unmastered mounts to fully mastered, it's not even funny how better they become fully mastered.

Griffon without masteries = glorified glider

Griffon with masteries = F-16 fighter jet

Skyscale without masteries = Bunny that can hover

Skyscale with masteries = literally everything

Crystal champ masteries are also a must to fine tune the experience, especialy the ability to jump off mounts. Go somewhere really high with Skyscale, fly up, vigor and fly up some more, launch yourself, Griffon mid fall -> enjoy flying the entirety of map and back.

And some people really over exaggerate how hard it is to get the Skyscale.

Those people don't want Vision i guess, you need it for Vision.

Skyscale collection is on par with other similar legendary collections, even the recent "return to" achievements. I've been doing those and seriously can't imagine how the journey would be without the flying mounts...

They transformed the game for me into a much more enjoyable experience.

So, my verdict? Get both, and the beetle, learn to handle them and they'll probably be the most useful things you can get in this game. The quality of life you get with just Skyscale is insane.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I understand people who enjoy the Griffon but I don't care about speed and I like slower paced mounts and convenience, so Skyscale it is. Same reason I never use the roller beetle except to smash walls 😜

At least we have a choice even though I'd rather have the Skyscale not exist at all. The best thing to do is to unlock them all and see what you enjoy best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1