Lunar festival missing community feel

Balsa.3951

All activities are ppl competing with othernot much working together.

I always like Halloween since it create a community feel.

Perhaps something to think of for next year or its intended ?

ps making activities in which certain classes having a natural advantage to get more loot .... not sure about that.

Festivals are just a cheap way of delivering """content""". Also, since these festivals are mostly automated at this point, I would not expect any major changes to what they contain. "B..but they did mounts" - yeah sure, never say never, I just wouldn't get my hopes up too high for any substantial changes to any of the festivals.

"Community", that's a good one. Community feel would be team work, but since this is an MMO, that isn't going to happen unless it improves/increases rewards, and then you would just get the raid community BS. You know, show some "skill" by proving your amazing ability to copy meta builds.

The challenge thing which happens in the middle of DR involves team work. It doesn't need a lot of coordination but the objectives and progress are shared. (That's why they updated it so you have to participate - people were leeching by joining the activity and just standing in a corner waiting for everyone else to finish it for them.)

I think Dragonball puts you into teams as well, but I haven't touched Dragonball in years so I may be remembering it wrong.

But Lunar New Year has always been pretty minimal overall, so it's not surprising it has less community/group activities. It's gotten better, I seem to remember at first it was literally just buying bags, boosting your magic find and opening them to get luck and items to sell, but it's still pretty lacking in everything compared to other festivals.

(And yet still better than my other MMO, where festivals are just "this sub-set of the normal daily quests give an extra reward" and if you're lucky there's an XP boost to use while you're doing them.)

@yoni.7015 said:I like competing with others. What’s wrong with that? And as you mentioned there are others festivals where people have to work together.

Not that I disagree, but other festivals also include something where you compete against one another. In truth the other festivals have both competitive and cooperative elements, that this one sorely lacks. It probably couldn't hurt to have it changed so that it all fits

@"Yggranya.5201" said:"Community", that's a good one. Community feel would be team work, but since this is an MMO, that isn't going to happen unless it improves/increases rewards, and then you would just get the raid community BS.

“Community” doesn’t necessarily have to be teamwork nor does it have to revolve around efficiency.

You know, show some "skill" by proving your amazing ability to copy meta builds.

If it was simply that then everyone would be doing raids. How many players are on the forums looking for random open world builds? How that any different?

@Danikat.8537 said:The challenge thing which happens in the middle of DR involves team work. It doesn't need a lot of coordination but the objectives and progress are shared. (That's why they updated it so you have to participate - people were leeching by joining the activity and just standing in a corner waiting for everyone else to finish it for them.)

You technically had to participate enough to be able to open the chest. I believe it’s still the case this year.

EDIT: Just went in to test it and you can still very much AFK just like last year. I did the rabbit event, turned in 3 things for the silver medal completion, avoided getting credit for anything else, and was able to open the big chest as well as two others. So those who just want to do the daily and/or grind that repeatable achievement can still AFK for it.

Actually the thing with people competing vs each other: It sounded interesting to keep activity high in the Celestial Challenge. But in the end ... I guess it feels pretty demotivating if some superior player with speedy and strong + better skills keeps dominating. Even more so because it always is mentioned who had the highest contribution. (Saw some that regularly got this. And got 1 more stack of the buff.)

Would have imo been better to give a 2nd stack for everyone for completing the challenges within their time limit. (Afaik it only gives a bonus for the overall progress bar for that round.)

But then you'd have the people complaining about leechers. (Maybe - when you already can measure the contribution - do some lecher check by secretly checking if someone was afk/not contributing for some time. So he can't just do a bit at the beginning and then starting to go idle.)

@"lokh.2695" said:Festivals are just a cheap way of delivering """content""". Also, since these festivals are mostly automated at this point, I would not expect any major changes to what they contain. "B..but they did mounts" - yeah sure, never say never, I just wouldn't get my hopes up too high for any substantial changes to any of the festivals.

I agree that probs not much will ever change. but since its been 8 years now and people are clearly getting tired of them i wouldn't mind seeing brand new festivals based on new things like maybe LW story releases? For the following year(only?) you could have celebrations in some way relating to that LW map/story content and bring renewed interest back to this map for a period of time while also not having the same boring things each year in old celebrations. Or stagger this with the old celebrations one year on one year off. Or i could just keep playing Eso where that kinda thing exists and just continue to mostly ignore these "content" releases.

I know, i know we finally got all the festivals we wanted and now people want other things. heh.I dunno it just feels like these things are filling the gaps till the xpac comes out. And that's not how it should feel.

And maybe there is excitement for new players but i'm an 8 year vet and this content feels dated.

@Kelly.7019 said:I agree that probs not much will ever change. but since its been 8 years now and people are clearly getting tired of them i wouldn't mind seeing brand new festivals based on new things like maybe LW story releases? For the following year(only?) you could have celebrations in some way relating to that LW map/story content and bring renewed interest back to this map for a period of time while also not having the same boring things each year in old celebrations.

The issue with this is that not all players have access to those maps and giving them temp access can possibly circumvent the need for them to unlock them.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Kelly.7019 said:I agree that probs not much will ever change. but since its been 8 years now and people are clearly getting tired of them i wouldn't mind seeing brand new festivals based on new things like maybe LW story releases? For the following year(only?) you could have celebrations in some way relating to that LW map/story content and bring renewed interest back to this map for a period of time while also not having the same boring things each year in old celebrations.

The issue with this is that not all players have access to those maps and giving them temp access can possibly circumvent the need for them to unlock them.

ah tru, well tried carrying an idea from another game over. guess that scraps that. hehof course you could just #1 force them to buy the LW in order to play the celebration or #2 make people mad that they can't play it cause they don't own the LW. :)or #3 post cantha anet could entirely change their strat and make LW's mini xpacs- :) but i think people will hate that idea. i dunno just brainstorming here.

@Luthan.5236 said:Actually the thing with people competing vs each other: It sounded interesting to keep activity high in the Celestial Challenge. But in the end ... I guess it feels pretty demotivating if some superior player with speedy and strong + better skills keeps dominating. Even more so because it always is mentioned who had the highest contribution. (Saw some that regularly got this. And got 1 more stack of the buff.)

Yeah, hi, I was that guy yesterday (which was kinda shocking given how badly I was lagging in there). The public announcement of whoever did best for the round made me feel weird. I know some activities have a little leader board that pops up at the end, and most people click right past it if they don't care to compete, but in the Celestial Challenge, you get a constant reminder each round that you can't click away from reminding you that Fasty McSpeederson is getting double the loot that you're getting, even if you did your best.

4-6 rounds in a row.

It felt awkward for me to be McSpeederson, and I can only imagine how demoralizing it was for everyone else. Just something to think about if you're a dev looking for tweaks to make next year. Leader board instead of instance-wide announcement?

There were some definite improvements made, though! I like that the Challenge now requires people to actively participate and the changes they've made to how the lucky aura buffs work (spreading them among multiple chests instead of making you do the challenge multiple times before opening one chest) was such a good idea! The activity now feels a lot more rewarding and worth the time put in to complete it.

Last year, I only played it to meet the achievement quota - yesterday I played it multiple times because it was fun (and because my friends were able to get into my instance).

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Yggranya.5201" said:"Community", that's a good one. Community feel would be team work, but since this is an MMO, that isn't going to happen unless it improves/increases rewards, and then you would just get the raid community BS.

“Community” doesn’t necessarily have to be teamwork nor does it have to revolve around efficiency.

Doesn't need to, but will.

You know, show some "skill" by proving your amazing ability to copy meta builds.

If it was simply that then everyone would be doing raids. How many players are on the forums looking for random open world builds? How that any different?

Oh yeah, just looking up a video on how to do it or you will die is also another one of the superhuman abilities of raiders, along with doing the dance once you've done it a few times. The rest of us less gifted can't even remember our own names after all.

@"Luthan.5236" said:Actually the thing with people competing vs each other: It sounded interesting to keep activity high in the Celestial Challenge. But in the end ... I guess it feels pretty demotivating if some superior player with speedy and strong + better skills keeps dominating. Even more so because it always is mentioned who had the highest contribution. (Saw some that regularly got this. And got 1 more stack of the buff.)

Would have imo been better to give a 2nd stack for everyone for completing the challenges within their time limit. (Afaik it only gives a bonus for the overall progress bar for that round.)

But then you'd have the people complaining about leechers. (Maybe - when you already can measure the contribution - do some lecher check by secretly checking if someone was afk/not contributing for some time. So he can't just do a bit at the beginning and then starting to go idle.)

I agree, if one player got top for an activity, they tended to get top for the other ones. And it's not like they might have contributed a lot more than other players, e.g. they may have just gone through one more racing bubble than the rest of us. I'm just going to do enough for the daily main chest and to finish my achievement for this year.

Hooray to having 12 chests next to the large chest, of which I can open less than half.

Surely the leeching could be easily stopped. They have a metric that they use to identify the top contributing player each round - and they have to measure the metric on each player. Is implementing a system such as "must have contributed at least half the level of the winning player" as the anti-leeching measure?

@AgentMoore.9453 said:There were some definite improvements made, though! I like that the Challenge now requires people to actively participate

I just tested it this morning and you can still indeed not participate for the majority of the Challenge. I had done the rat challenge, turned in three things which gave me silver event completion credit, ran around the rest of the time without getting credit for the other challenges, and was able to open the large chest plus two of the smaller ones. If someone wants to not participate, they most certainly are able to as they were last year.

All Anet really did was prevent the players that did not participate at all from getting credit through enemy kills using their pets/minions. It didn’t eliminate players from doing enough to get completion credit for one challenge and then going AFK for the rest.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@AgentMoore.9453 said:There were some definite improvements made, though! I like that the Challenge now requires people to actively participate

I just tested it this morning and you can still indeed not participate for the majority of the Challenge. I had done the rat challenge, turned in three things which gave me silver event completion credit, ran around the rest of the time without getting credit for the other challenges, and was able to open the large chest plus two of the smaller ones. If someone wants to not participate, they most certainly are able to as they were last year.

So you contributed less and got less loot than people who contributed more - sounds like it's working as intended!

Technically they could require a certain amount of buffs before you're able to open the big chest (though the loot tables don't seem very different between the chests) to try and cut down even more on leeching, but I think that'd just annoy people and you'd still have leeching players. No measure will ever completely eliminate them, but it's definitely more cost effective to participate than to sit on your thumbs this year, which is what I meant.

EDIT: Patch notes also indicated that some popular ways of leeching (auto-attacking mobs) got removed from the mini-game this year which was a good call. Attacking mobs when it's not the goal of the challenge no longer gives event credit (or shouldn't, I'm going based on the notes here).

@AgentMoore.9453 said:

So you contributed less and got less loot than people who contributed more - sounds like it's working as intended!

No different than last year. What they did was essentially an illusion. Instead of getting more loot from the large chest by having multiple stacks of the buff, they let you get the additional loot from smaller chests with those stacks. It’s about as more rewarding as when weapon/armor drops were put into containers.

Technically they could require a certain amount of buffs before you're able to open the big chest (though the loot tables don't seem very different between the chests) to try and cut down even more on leeching, but I think that'd just annoy people and you'd still have leeching players. No measure will ever completely eliminate them, but it's definitely more cost effective to participate than to sit on your thumbs this year, which is what I meant.

The downside to that is it would penalize innocent players who join an instance that’s already in progress. The entire Celestial thing seems to take around 12-15min. One could also do just enough to earn participation for each individual challenge, AFK until the next, and then get the same rewards as those who participated the entire time. So they could theoretically only spend around one minute of that time actually doing something.

@"Hesione.9412" said:Surely the leeching could be easily stopped. They have a metric that they use to identify the top contributing player each round - and they have to measure the metric on each player. Is implementing a system such as "must have contributed at least half the level of the winning player" as the anti-leeching measure?

Connection issues, like rubber-banding. Or the situation ran into a few times yesterday: The instance had a few high-dps builds, most mobs died before I managed to reach them, let alone touch them. Especially in the challenges that require NPC slaying, your suggestion would turn into a nightmare for certain players.

The festivals are free for everyone, no matter of skill level, build, experience or even connection. We have mount-rentals, generous time limits and very low participation requirements, so everyone can join the festivals and have a good time.

Why not continue with the most recent development: Split Celestial Challenge into Private and Public instances.

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

@"Hesione.9412" said:Surely the leeching could be easily stopped. They have a metric that they use to identify the top contributing player each round - and they have to measure the metric on each player. Is implementing a system such as "must have contributed at least half the level of the winning player" as the anti-leeching measure?

Connection issues, like rubber-banding. Or the situation ran into a few times yesterday: The instance had a few high-dps builds, most mobs died before I managed to reach them, let alone touch them. Especially in the challenges that require NPC slaying, your suggestion would turn into a nightmare for certain players.

The festivals are free for everyone, no matter of skill level, build, experience or even connection. We have mount-rentals, generous time limits and very low participation requirements, so everyone can join the festivals and have a good time.

Why not continue with the most recent development: Split Celestial Challenge into Private and Public instances.

What you are describing with connection issues would create, at the server end, a situation equivalent to players AFKing. If you are getting 0 credit now, then what I suggest is no worse than the 0 credit you are currently getting. My suggestion of "contributing at least half" is just that - a suggestion. A quarter might be better, or 1/6, but some type of differencing metric. No system is perfect. While choosing a differencing metric could be argued as being too harsh against players who have little participation, there becomes a point where little contribution is not very different from afk.

For the mobs dying too fast, the mobs spawn, and respawn, from various points around the map. For some reason, many players seem to run around the map even though they can just stand at one spot and kill (which is what I do). Or the players all congregate in the same spot to kill. If you can avoid these spots, you're golden. I go and stand on the other side of the map away from everyone else (and still they end up near me, sigh).