Are the devs happy with fractal balance?

@Obtena.7952 said:

And thats why there cant be challenging content in the game. Always balanced for the worst builds so decent ones steamroll it.

Yet somehow lots of content challenges people so I think you need to reconsider that statement is not generally applicable. What does DPS output have to do with challenging? It doesn't ... Tryhards proved it years ago when they took low-DPS builds and soloed dungeons with them. No one should conclude content is balanced around 'the worst' builds because being successful in content has nothing to do with the available builds. Being successful is about knowing the encounter and knowing how your build works.

It has a lot to do with it. Average phase time in 99 and 98cm is 5 seconds. thats the entire exposed duration. Cant be hard when you dont see mechanics. Normal t4 bosses die within 20-25sec if they dont have a phase.Compare that to ff or wow design. You cant skip every mechanic with dps there. high amount of dps is even required to complete some bosses. Just doing mechanics is not as hard as doing mechanics while hitting a dps check at the same time.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Nephalem.8921 said:

And thats why there cant be challenging content in the game. Always balanced for the worst builds so decent ones steamroll it.

Yet somehow lots of content challenges people so I think you need to reconsider that statement is not generally applicable. What does DPS output have to do with challenging? It doesn't ... Tryhards proved it years ago when they took low-DPS builds and soloed dungeons with them. No one should conclude content is balanced around 'the worst' builds because being successful in content has nothing to do with the available builds. Being successful is about knowing the encounter and knowing how your build works.

It has a lot to do with it. Average phase time in 99 and 98cm is 5 seconds. thats the entire exposed duration. Cant be hard when you dont see mechanics. Normal t4 bosses die within 20-25sec if they dont have a phase.Compare that to ff or wow design. You cant skip every mechanic with dps there. high amount of dps is even required to complete some bosses. Just doing mechanics is not as hard as doing mechanics while hitting a dps check at the same time.

OK .. that doesn't change what I said. The reality is that lots of people find the content challenging/ Therefore, it doesn't make sense to claim their can't be challenging content in the game because it's balanced around the worst builds. Just because you can 'beat' mechanics with high performance builds doesn't mean content isn't generally challenging for people; that's simply indicative that highly capable players with high performance builds find the content trivial ... that's not really a concern IMO and apparently, not really one for Anet either because it's likely that it's a statistically insignificant portion of the players. If anything, that's a REASON we SHOULDN'T push for optimal build balancing.

I think you forget the target market for this game ... Some of the endgame content is trivial for high performance build played by highly capable players? OK ... sounds like EXACTLY the situation a game developer would get if their design target was a casual experience for people to play how they want. Mission Accomplished.

I mean, let's take a step back. If the devs aren't happy with balance, what are they going to do? They are going to change it. So what's ultimately the issue here isn't that the OP is concerned that the devs are happy ... it's a indirect statement they SHOULDN'T be happy based on the OP's misunderstanding of how this game has and always will be designed and implemented. There is no going back here. Any jumps in success thresholds are ALREADY proven to be disasters for Anet. We can't add more and expect a different result.

@"Fuchslein.8639" said:But when you start something like this, you also have to take the group factor into account.After all, this is about fractals and fractals are played 99% with other people.If you run with friends, they may accept if you can the class and not die, but makes as good as zero DMG.But with strangers who just want to make their dailies quickly, such a thing is simply disrespectful in my eyes. I don't know how many times I read "But I live while everyone else dies", yes they die because you don't make any dmg and drag out the fight unnecessarily.

The irony being that you're best off leveling through the fractal levels as a support (because most people like to play DPS... Or think they can. Usually only 1 person in the group tops 10k, even if they're not healers). Also, someone said "not enough deeps" in one of my groups I'm climbing in and I told them "BS, I've done this with HT and HB and we did better than this", all that to say is, you don't have to rely on DPS to skip mechanics. And I swapped full healer for that fight, did less damage and we carried. People do use DPS to skip mechanics, but it's not necessary. And I bet you that person might have actually dodged stuff or did better at mechanics and thought YOU GUYS were the bad ones.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@"Fuchslein.8639" said:But when you start something like this, you also have to take the group factor into account.After all, this is about fractals and fractals are played 99% with other people.If you run with friends, they may accept if you can the class and not die, but makes as good as zero DMG.But with strangers who just want to make their dailies quickly, such a thing is simply disrespectful in my eyes. I don't know how many times I read "But I live while everyone else dies", yes they die because you don't make any dmg and drag out the fight unnecessarily.

The irony being that you're best off leveling through the fractal levels as a support (because most people like to play DPS... Or think they can. Usually only 1 person in the group tops 10k, even if they're not healers). Also, someone said "not enough deeps" in one of my groups I'm climbing in and I told them "BS, I've done this with HT and HB and we did better than this", all that to say is, you don't have to rely on DPS to skip mechanics. And I swapped full healer for that fight, did less damage and we carried. People do use DPS to skip mechanics, but it's not necessary. And I bet you that person might have actually dodged stuff or did better at mechanics and thought YOU GUYS were the bad ones.

Btw I read your post again and I think you were about something completely different. Sorry, am just mega on painkillers and had somehow only understood that you carry low-dps-casual-people as a healer and therefore expect all others to do the same.(it is often written here that you are selfish if you do not help aka carry people xx)

I should rather look for a movie as a distraction than the Internet xD.Therefore, post edited, please ignore.