gift of battle and WvW-state

mercury ranique.2170

Not sure if this is a rant, a request for tips or a call for chance.I've set my mind on going for a legendary. One thing needed is the gift of battle. I know some people think you should not need it, but in my opinon you should show some dedication to all game formats, so also WvWI do not play a lot of WvW, but have done that in the past. being a bit inexperienced there I've learned to stick to the zerk. Unfortunally my world does have zero action during the late morning. No zerks at all. So I've been roaming around till someone said in world chat that there were enemies at a gate. So I rushed there to some action to only find the person who shouted in chat and to see the fort being taken. As not being able to do much I was told by this person "lol, go back to PvE"

I'll be honest that this is very much discouraging to proceed on my path to my legendary.Anyone got tips to get the gift of battle done on the off hours?Is the current state of WvW this bad?If so, what should Arenanet do to lift it up again? or should they add a way to get the gift of battle out of WvW.

• Like 1

For Gift of battle you don't need any big fights, zergs or anything of that sort, even though this may be the more "fun" solution.You just need to keep your participation up, which can easily be done with just flipping camps.

Another approch though one that may take longer is: Do the WvW daylies whenever there are "easy" ones.Each daily gives you 1 (-2) https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Potion_of_WvW_Rewards . (For a full wvw track (only using those potions) you'll need 80).Those are something you could as well slowly stockpile with the dailies even if you are not currently in need of completing a certain reward track.

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:I'll be honest that this is very much discouraging to proceed on my path to my legendary.Look at it from our perspective: The GoB takes about 2 hrs of maintaining your reward track, the rest of the entire item is PvE. How many hours would you assume that is? How do you think we feel when we want to make legendary weapons? Not to be callous but we get threads like yours every other week here and they always sound spoiled to us for that reason.Anyone got tips to get the gift of battle done on the off hours?It doesn't matter if your server is dead as long as your opponents are not. If your server is heavily out-numbered that can be good for you since you can just go onto any map (pref. an alpine border) and just flip back spawn camps every 10min to keep your reward tracks rolling.Is the current state of WvW this bad?Yes, ArenaNet does not care about WvW (or PvP at large) and this is the result.If so, what should Arenanet do to lift it up again?Read these forums, they are full of 8 years worth of suggestions. None of them have been addressed as ArenaNet does not care about WvW.or should they add a way to get the gift of battle out of WvW.Again, it is hard for us to find sympathy for you. It's a shame that you have to deal with 10% of crap but we have to deal with 90% of crap. I'm sure they could make "PvE only" legendaries if they wanted to give up all pretense of being an MMO. They could also make a separate WvW-only route to legendaries if they cared, but as we already know by now, they don't care about WvW. So, who knows?

@"mercury ranique.2170" the Wvw perpective:i have 400 mystic clovers,1700+ obsidian shards,wearing armor costing 750 memories of battle each (mistforged ascended),20.000 badges of honorsold 750 mystic coins last year and am at 230 yet again,have 37 gifts of battle,roughly 60 legendary spikes...

... yet i have not a single legendary weapon, in fact i'm not even past the precursor for sunrise. i'm at the 2nd or 3rd collection somewhere drowned.

means i am at the point where legendary is just useless for me outside of the optics - i have several ascended characters max geared yet. and several unusued ascended boxes from largescale battle-loot.

selling the toilet coins gave me enough gold to buy character slots and shiny infusions, and i could yet just buy a TP legendary for 2k gold. but i have no option to craft one without doing annoying, time consuming openworld stuff... killing 1500 people just during the weekend in Wvw does not help me at all in that process. (the gold basically came from farming spvp and t4 fractals for easy loot lol)

__about the state of Wvw... it isn't that empty as people suggest. just play times vary heavily. there's no 100% time coverage obviously, that'd be absurd anyways. if you have a 20-30 ppl group on a map that knows what they're doing, it would make up for 50 enemies easily.problem is, ppl come to wvw expecting a comm leading them 24/7 and let them just afk in a blob of 50 ppl. that is just not the reality. without a strong core or a lead that knows their job, a blob ain't going anywhere.

i personally don't tag for anything than defenses, bc it is just not worth. people never stay on tag, die left and right, and even if u push a blob across half of the map with your cloudyzergy, it's annoying to lead this. when u tag as firebrand, u have no real dmg output options outside of trollbubbles and tome1 cc/burn but eh. you need your group to do the damage, and if they're 80% ranger thief, it's extra hard. relies kinda on the opposing group having a bad lead that doesn't recognize their position and just runs away and dies off slowly.

it's like coming to raids with yellow gear, or going into t4 fractals without any AR. or like using pvE builds in spvp... you won't get past silver with that.

we wrote it BILLIONS OF TIMES here yet... views vary, but Wvw would need some sort of bigger competitiveness and rewards for winning. the best farm atm u have for just farming enemies. u get nothing for "winning" the point matchup really.the maps need updates (-> Edge of the Mists), maybe with EoD expansion even a new, far bigger map to match warclaw speed

people don't play it bc the devs try to abandon it for years... some other stopped bc the changes made by anet are not those that anyone wanted or that the format needs. we got nerfs, mounts, eh. few good changes, a ton bad ones.

@"subversiontwo.7501" btw i lately read the old wvw threads on here... in 2017 someone suggested inventing a "dolyak mount", and somone else posted "better not, the maps are too small for it" HOW did Anet ignore this.... the idea of a ridable dolly would be even way less problematic, bc you could only mount it up at t3 camps afaik from that idea. i'm so flashed that this one guy NAILED the obvious issue with mounts in wvw so long time ago. and it got still introduced.

also the EWP-fail-teleport-back2spawn was addressed even in 2017. and it still ports u back to spawn in 2021.

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:-snip-

I don't think it's entirely fair to be so defensive about this. OP has made it clear they have no problem with GoB having a Wvw requirement, and they're making an effort to understand the best course of action for obtaining it.I agree with much of what you're saying, but there's no reason to guilt trip.

As for OP, activity is very dependent on time zones and what server you're on (linked with). Different servers are active at different times of the day, and some have more Commanders than others.You may need to try entering WvW at different times to find out when it's most active, or just relegate your GW2 time to being entirely WvW for a while rather than only entering every now and then. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but with some Boosters and a solid zerg, much of the work can be done in only a few hours, it's just about finding that activity.

As others have suggested, reflipping Supply Camps regularly, especially while Outnumbered, is a good way to keep up your Participation and increase your Pip gain, but can be very boring if it's all you're doing unless you're okay with AFKing for periods of time.

I'd also like to warn you not to ask someone to Tag up or for a Commander to do something for you, because often times people will get very upset with that. It is pretty common for someone to come in to WvW with no intent on helping or returning to WvW, but ask/demand for something to be captured or for people to do something. So, people don't tend to like it when someone comes in saying they need GoB. Just keep that in mind so as not to attract any negative attention, and instead do your part by Scouting-eg. You see a Tower has a weakened wall, call that out in /map "Example Tower wall 30%". This will usually get people to come to you or continue to attack it until it opens so you have people to help you capture it when it opens.

Thanks for the honest tips. I originally posted this in the general part of the forum as I wanted to avoid directing this just to the WvW community. It tends to end in a salty WvW vs PvE discussion and who should get love and when. That is not my intention. I've played since launch and have done the gift of battle back in the days it needed badges. I know WvW is not in a strong state, but I was shocked about the actual state I found it in this morning (totally deserted besides one very salty player).

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:What @Ronan.9518 said.

Do the easy WvW dailies. Cap camps for at least 10 minutes a day. If you have boosters for reward track gain, then you really could just spend 4ish hours on a lazy day capping camps and gift your gift of battle. It's frankly the easiest part of the Legendary journey.

Later this afternoon I tried again in the desert borderland. I stopped a dolyak and flipped a watchpost. When going for a camp I found some help by two experienced. I followed them to a keep. As I was on foot and not on the claw I feel a bit behind and was ganked by an enemy player . They actually turned around and helped me out. We took down the wall of the keep and flipped it to our side with just the three of us.

Turns out it is not as bad as it seemed earlier on. I do not expect to be carried and I do have some (outdated) experience in WvW. It really helps to have some people on your side with patience and who know that helping someone helps strenghten their side. It obviously not always work, but it is good to not be judged just by being new.It was a short experience as I was short on time, but very nice.

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:@mercury ranique.2170 the Wvw perpective:i have 400 mystic clovers,1700+ obsidian shards,wearing armor costing 750 memories of battle each (mistforged ascended),20.000 badges of honorsold 750 mystic coins last year and am at 230 yet again,have 37 gifts of battle,roughly 60 legendary spikes...

... yet i have not a single legendary weapon, in fact i'm not even past the precursor for sunrise. i'm at the 2nd or 3rd collection somewhere drowned.

Isn't the rest of this not mostly a thing of gold? I have tried several precursor collections and they are extremely tedious to me. It is why I went for a 1th gen and bought Zap.Scanning over your list you need the dungeon tokens (which can be done in the dungeon reward track in WvW) and the rest can be done with gold (as you have the clovers and obsdian shards)

With the exceptions of the very vocal special people in team chat, most people I have encountered in WvW are helpful.

Continue to work with people. You may even forge lasting game friendships.

Hint: if you run close to the Warclaw, you get a speed buff that helps you keep up, called ‘Warclaw’s Blessing’. Also, swap out a trait or skill that gives you speed buffs (may have a couple depending on your class), so you can keep closer to other Warclaw players. You might lose a little damage or defense, but there is safety in numbers. (Literally and figuratively)

Oh, and yes, many of us are a little salty about the lack of attention. That being said, it isn’t directed at you specifically, more the idea and concept of being provided even a shred of respect by the developers.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@subversiontwo.7501 said:Read these forums, they are full of 8 years worth of suggestions.
None of them have been addressed
as ArenaNet does not care about WvW.

With how many things that Anet adds/changes based on player feedback in this game, I find it doubtful that not one of them had anything to do with WvW.

Well if changes mean class nerfs then yeah some of them have come because of WvW as Anet has history of tying WvW and PvE balance together for whatever reason.

But the mode itself? Can't think of anything since they added EoTM and changed structures from pay to upgrade to hold to upgrade. There is a reason there hasn't been a WvW tournament since 2014.

Also, there are a ton of bots running around unchecked, hackers, and still have many, many OG terrain exploits and issues like obstructed in camps and walls being finnicky. So a vast majority of the time they don't even bugfix WvW let alone upgrade it or add new things.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:Read these forums, they are full of 8 years worth of suggestions.

With how many things that Anet adds/changes based on player feedback in this game, I find it doubtful that not one of them had anything to do with WvW.

Ah, yes. Dollies desyncing, a certain camp in eb never showing as contested, population imbalance, lag issues, the list will be long when one means meaningful changes instead of your average "pLs NeRf insert random class skill/utility CaUsE i CaNt OuTpLaY iT". Not that certain skills aren't in the need of fixes, but there are more pressing issues.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:With the exceptions of the very vocal special people in team chat, most people I have encountered in WvW are helpful.

Continue to work with people. You may even forge lasting game friendships.

Hint: if you run close to the Warclaw, you get a speed buff that helps you keep up, called ‘Warclaw’s Blessing’. Also, swap out a trait or skill that gives you speed buffs (may have a couple depending on your class), so you can keep closer to other Warclaw players. You might lose a little damage or defense, but there is safety in numbers. (Literally and figuratively)

Oh, and yes, many of us are a little salty about the lack of attention. That being said, it isn’t directed at you specifically, more the idea and concept of being provided even a shred of respect by the developers.

Hugging the kitty only works if the kitty rider has the relevant World Ability FYI. That said kitties need hugs, so please hug you kitty today.

At OP. Consider Runes of Speed for your WvW build.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:Read these forums, they are full of 8 years worth of suggestions.

Ah, yes. Dollies desyncing, a certain camp in eb never showing as contested, population imbalance, lag issues, the list will be long when one means meaningful changes instead of your average "pLs NeRf
insert random class skill/utility
CaUsE i CaNt OuTpLaY iT". Not that certain skills aren't in the need of fixes, but there are more pressing issues.

There’s a difference between stating none of the issues have been addressed versus stating none of the issues which matter to you have been addressed. I took issue with your statement doing the former.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Ah, yes. Dollies desyncing, a certain camp in eb never showing as contested, population imbalance, lag issues, the list will be long when one means meaningful changes instead of your average "pLs NeRf
CaUsE i CaNt OuTpLaY iT". Not that certain skills aren't in the need of fixes, but there are more pressing issues.

There’s a difference between stating none of the issues have been addressed versus stating none of the issues which matter to you have been addressed. I took issue with your statement doing the former.

For someone who comes to argue semantics you sure seem to take things very literal and have trouble reading into context.

@subversiontwo.7501 said:

@subversiontwo.7501 said:Read these forums, they are full of 8 years worth of suggestions.

For someone who comes to argue semantics you sure seem to take things very literal and have trouble reading into context.

What context? You mean the one where someone asked what Anet can do to lift WvW up again and you responded by saying that Anet doesn't care about WvW because out of the 8 years of suggestions, none of them have been addressed?

A new map was requested on the forums and a new map was later added. Mounts were requested for WvW and a mount was later added. There were complaints about night capping so skirmishes were added to reduce their impact. They addressed culling during the first couple of years which was often complained about. I'm sure that I could find more if I searched.

But yeah, none of the suggestions made on the forums over the past 8 years have been addressed... Those don't count.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

A new map was requested on the forums and a new map was later added. Mounts were requested for WvW and a mount was later added. There were complaints about night capping so skirmishes were added to reduce their impact. They addressed culling during the first couple of years which was often complained about. I'm sure that I could find more if I searched.

But yeah, none of the suggestions made on the forums over the past 8 years have been addressed... Those don't count.

lets be honest... the new map was and is a joke.... and you could argue mounts didnt help wvw for anything either... and you forgot server linkings, which imo also made wvw worse.... but hey aslong as they doin somethin huh....

everyone is entitled to their own opinions, mine is that wvw was not improved by many of the so called improvements. (dbl-mounts-linkings-tactics)and it is probably too late to get worked up about it all anyways, just play if ya enjoy it still, and sometimes i do so...

Do the quick wvw dailies like camp, sentry, dolyak, vet creature, spender, defender etc.Consider using a class with good mobility, and a ranged weapon option.Look for builds online, there are tons of guides, builds and videos.Consider a server transfer if you find yourself more interested in WvW, big fights can be really fun and there are servers that are active during your time.Use celebration/birthday boosters, and other items that help speed up reward track progress.Play on outnumbered maps for the extra 5 pips and +50% participation, just run around killing guards, sentries, yaks, and take some camps to keep participation up.Try to finish the first rewards tier for the extra pip for the next week.Repair walls/gates during defense events when something is contested, but don't use up all supply.

It will take some time, but you will get there.

I think you at least used to be on Gandara. If that's still the case and you have occasion to log on in late afternoons or early evenings, if you see me on you can join on me and I'll run a hidden tag and give you participation. I only do home defense, however; since we're vs two german servers and we're empty and dead last in t5 it means primarily flipping camps while dodging zergs and gank squads. If that's acceptable to you then feel free to join.

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:Not sure if this is a rant, a request for tips or a call for chance.I've set my mind on going for a legendary. One thing needed is the gift of battle. I know some people think you should not need it, but in my opinon you should show some dedication to all game formats, so also WvWI do not play a lot of WvW, but have done that in the past. being a bit inexperienced there I've learned to stick to the zerk. Unfortunally my world does have zero action during the late morning. No zerks at all. So I've been roaming around till someone said in world chat that there were enemies at a gate. So I rushed there to some action to only find the person who shouted in chat and to see the fort being taken. As not being able to do much I was told by this person "lol, go back to PvE"

I'll be honest that this is very much discouraging to proceed on my path to my legendary.Anyone got tips to get the gift of battle done on the off hours?Is the current state of WvW this bad?If so, what should Arenanet do to lift it up again? or should they add a way to get the gift of battle out of WvW.

I'll echo Gutter, depending upon which server you are on - but am sure there are always folks willing to help. Give a shout out in the map chat on your home border asking if anyone wants to party up to help flip any objectives.

Also, if you get any potions which help with wvw track reward (birthday ones) when you do go into wvw - pop one - especially if you're joining people taking towers as it gives 100% buff to your reward track progression I think.

The first thing you should do is not be a liability, so pick a build with good survivability and mobility. If you come in here with all zerk and die in 0.01 seconds, nobody will want you around. Fortunately, survival gear can be bought at like 5g for a set of the TP or something. There are also stat selectable warlord armor boxes you get from WvW as well.

Also run cheap dodge food for more survival:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Can_of_Meat_and_Winter_Vegetable_Stew (5 badges, from wvw provisioner)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bowl_of_Meat_and_Winter_Vegetable_Stew (2.49s off the TP)

The second thing to do is just kill guards to keep your partcipation. If you kill guards near an objective, you get credit if it later gets taken by your team. I have gotten keep capture the next day.

Depending on how good your EB is, you can also maintain participation by escorting Dolyaks (note that will only prevent you from losing participation. You may also repair SMC walls, or if you don't have SMC, usually a tower on your side is being trebbed. However, bring supply from camps, instead of draining the actual structure. Otherwise you may piss people off. Also if you don't own smc, throw down a catapult near it (as close to your side as possible), and people will almost always join you to kill guards and fight whoever comes out; of course you should be ready to run if the enemy gets angry.

Red BL shrines are often a good idea, as well as Red BL in general, because it's not very well liked and thus less people out to stop you.