Night of Fires

Stallic.2397

Aggro and then retreat. They stay fighting and drawing aggro. You can then pick off the foremost foe and work back to the rear while the NPC's take a lot of the hurt. Unlike the Living Story NPC's, these seem to never be defeated. I've used this tactic the times I've done this mission. Now, if only the game would not DC when the fighting is over but before the chapter completes.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:Aggro and then retreat. They stay fighting and drawing aggro. You can then pick off the foremost foe and work back to the rear while the NPC's take a lot of the hurt. Unlike the Living Story NPC's, these seem to never be defeated.Was this changed? Because all three times that I've completed that mission, Rytlock tried facetanking everything and spent most of the battle unconscious. And Canach went down quickly after that, leaving me to handle the whole mob alone.

The AI is (was?) annoyingly bad in that mission.

The first time I did it (as a condi Ranger) I as careful to not let the sentries draw reinforcements, so I didn't rush in. Canach and Rytlock, however useful or useless they were, were nonetheless still alive at the end of it. My second time I went as a Chronomancer and applied the same tactic, drawing little groups at a time and not letting the sentries call for reinforcements, even though I already had the achievement related to that; it just seemed like good ol' fashioned common sense. ;)And again, Canach and Rytlock stayed very much alive. Maybe it's the reinforcements that pose a problem? You can prevent them from ever appearing if you take the strategic approach. Even though every enemy on its own is quite squishy, a whole lot of them can still hit hard.

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:And again, Canach and Rytlock stayed very much alive. Maybe it's the reinforcements that pose a problem? You can prevent them from ever appearing if you take the strategic approach.I never triggered any alarms, yet there was still a constant flood of reinforcements that run at you during the boss battle. Had around thirty of them running around, bouncing everyone with pulls when I played as a low dps build; it was a bit more manageable with higher dps (because I could kill them almost as quickly as they spawned).

But definitely large enough mob that Rytlock couldn't handle them, at least not while facetanking the boss.

@Zaltys.7649 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:Aggro and then retreat. They stay fighting and drawing aggro. You can then pick off the foremost foe and work back to the rear while the NPC's take a lot of the hurt. Unlike the Living Story NPC's, these seem to never be defeated.Was this changed? Because all three times that I've completed that mission, Rytlock tried facetanking everything and spent most of the battle unconscious. And Canach went down quickly after that, leaving me to handle the whole mob alone.

The AI is (was?) annoyingly bad in that mission.

I've also done it three times, though I've yet to be able to complete it. :angry:

All three, they stayed up the whole time, despite several retreats on my part. They are way tankier than anything in the PS, or Destiny's Edge in dungeons. Am I certain they can't be killed? No, but I haven't seen it in this instance.

Rytlock aggro's even when you try to be careful. Plus, I kill all sentries before the signal is called. Swarms still come like crazy. Thankfully I beat the mission on my first try, but it was a constant headache during the whole thing. Thankfully my elite, ambush, on thief was more help than Rytlock or Canach.

It was pretty bad when I went through it the first time. Do not ever rely on your AI buddies. They just are terrible. I helped a friend the second time around. We went slow and it was more manageable. A lot of the mobs are pretty annoying when they start to swarm you. Especially the officers.

I found it fair enough. I was taking very much care and was very slow at it.

My method was - always is - to avoid using the "obvious paths" of the location. I take the ways around, as external as possible. This has the advantage that the foes are confused to be attacked from elsewhere than expected. This usually buys us a welcome tiny delay until they turn to us and react. Also, I was waiting that the sentry was opposite side of my before to lure foes to me without alerting the sentry. Once the sentry was left alone, I entered death shroud and jumped on him for very fast killing. It worked pretty well. However, I believe it was possible only because I was ready to wait a really long time, until the dispatch of the foes allow for what I wanted, and that at each location.

I was with my reaper (no minions). I was using staff allowing for long range and taking care that the marks touch the foes with their most external ledge, in such a way that only one or two foes are "touched", reacting, while the others and the sentry remains out. At this range, NPC allies stayed behind me, going into fight only once the foes were on me. They have never disturbed my strategy.

Remark: I did it a few days after installation of exp pack. So, if there has been changes, it can be that this method would not work anymore now.

Archived