How much real money have you spent on GW 2?

Cyrin.1035

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Moonlit.6421 said:Hm I didn't think to factor in the game and expac prizes. I might actually be over 1k then. 40 characters and counting and a huge fashion wars addiction lol

40? why do you need that much?Because of that huge fashion wars addiction. Each of my characters has their own crafted look, backstory, and lore appropriate name. I enjoy these aspects of the game the most so I just keep making new characters, it can actually be pretty handy. For instance 6 of my 11 mesmers are parked at each Ember Bay checkpoint and I do ports through the puzzle every so often. An hey its not like I'm bad, theres people who have reached the cap after all >w>"

@Makai.3429 said:

@"Nuka Cola.8520" said:7.5k hours. $10 spent.

I'm the last person to support microtransactions.

Same. Proper, good ol' fashioned expansions will always eclipse slipshod, low effort DLC in my opinion.

I'm not entirety sure how much I've spent on this game, but it's probably a shameful amount.

I still struggle to grasp the difference to be honest. I mean if you take the term Downloadable Content literally then all of GW2 is DLC, because it's content you download onto your PC - especially for people like me who always bought digital copies.

I'm aware that in practice 'expansion' tends to denote a large chunk of new content and features whereas 'DLC' implies something smaller - a short story or a new feature or even a single item/skin. But I'm not sure where you draw the line. Back in the days before downloading content was possible I bought 'expansion packs' for games (on a disc, in a box) which would definitely be classed as DLC today, including some which were just item packs. Some games still do this - notably The Sims series. Then there's games like the Elder Scrolls series (single-player ones I mean) where literally the same thing has been sold under both names. You could buy extra maps and story lines for Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim which were sold as expansion packs in stores and DLC online.

So the distinction seems pretty arbitrary to me and I definitely wouldn't consider it an indication of quality. I've seen some excellent DLC, and some truly terrible ones but the same is true of expansion packs and entire games.

GW2's Living Story is DLC in all but name. They don't call it that and they've set up a system where many of us don't need to pay for it, but that's literally the only difference I can see between a Living Story release and a DLC story pack for another game. But I don't think that means it's lower quality than the expansions. The same writers, artists etc. work on both and both receive the same sort of praise and criticisms from players.

I definitely had concerns when the idea of DLC was first announced that it would lead to developers releasing a "starter pack" game for full price and then requiring players to keep on buying DLC to get the full thing, like those collectible card games. And in some cases that's exactly what happened. But in other games it hasn't happened at all. I know a lot of new players complain about having to buy the Living Story separately from the base game (and I do think Anet should release a 'bundle' version with everything so far) but I definitely consider what I got at release to be a full game that was worth what I paid for it. I therefore don't mind paying separately for the extras - whether they're called expansions or DLC or 'story packs' or 'OMG stuff things!" or whatever.

At least $1000 if not more. Between making three legendary weapons, buying all expansions at full price Deluxe Edition, making the exotic weapon infinite light, multiple gem store purchases for accounts unlocks, conveniences, toys, skins, miniatures, etc.

On second thought, I am probably well over thousand dollars now.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Makai.3429 said:

@"Nuka Cola.8520" said:7.5k hours. $10 spent.

I'm the last person to support microtransactions.

Same. Proper, good ol' fashioned expansions will always eclipse slipshod, low effort DLC in my opinion.

I'm not entirety sure how much I've spent on this game, but it's probably a shameful amount.

I still struggle to grasp the difference to be honest. I mean if you take the term Downloadable Content literally then all of GW2 is DLC, because it's content you download onto your PC - especially for people like me who always bought digital copies.

I'm aware that in practice 'expansion' tends to denote a large chunk of new content and features whereas 'DLC' implies something smaller - a short story or a new feature or even a single item/skin. But I'm not sure where you draw the line. Back in the days before downloading content was possible I bought 'expansion packs' for games (on a disc, in a box) which would definitely be classed as DLC today, including some which were just item packs. Some games still do this - notably The Sims series. Then there's games like the Elder Scrolls series (single-player ones I mean) where literally the same thing has been sold under both names. You could buy extra maps and story lines for Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim which were sold as expansion packs in stores and DLC online.

So the distinction seems pretty arbitrary to me and I definitely wouldn't consider it an indication of quality. I've seen some excellent DLC, and some truly terrible ones but the same is true of expansion packs and entire games.

GW2's Living Story is DLC in all but name. They don't call it that and they've set up a system where many of us don't need to pay for it, but that's literally the only difference I can see between a Living Story release and a DLC story pack for another game. But I don't think that means it's lower quality than the expansions. The same writers, artists etc. work on both and both receive the same sort of praise and criticisms from players.

I definitely had concerns when the idea of DLC was first announced that it would lead to developers releasing a "starter pack" game for full price and then requiring players to keep on buying DLC to get the full thing, like those collectible card games. And in some cases that's exactly what happened. But in other games it hasn't happened at all. I know a lot of new players complain about having to buy the Living Story separately from the base game (and I do think Anet should release a 'bundle' version with everything so far) but I definitely consider what I got at release to be a full game that was worth what I paid for it. I therefore don't mind paying separately for the extras - whether they're called expansions or DLC or 'story packs' or 'OMG stuff things!" or whatever.

Expansion packs would typically give you more for your money than piecemeal DLC, though games in general have less content than they used to, so that could be skewing my perception. Take something like Morrowind: Bloodmoon and compare the breadth of content and length to Skyrim's Dragonborn.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Xt9fZ4tl--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1989w9qs44b91jpg.jpg

I haven't kept explicit track, but considering I'm not super conservative about buying skins and services I want (I just refuse to ever touch gambling boxes)... I'd wager probably at least $100 a year. And since I've been playing all 6 years the game's been out, I suppose that'd mean roughly $600.

Archived