Don't like the POF expansion area's very much.

@Eraden.8740 said:I really hate the HoT areas but that is because it is so confusing to try and figure out how to get to a location that is literally only 100 feet away but could be 1000 feet above or below. The mini map seems to do a really subpar job of actually showing the differences in elevation and that makes using the mini map in those zones even more frustrating in terms of trying to plan out a route. Fortunately, A little bit of time and acquisition of some of the base mounts (Springer most notably) has softened my hatred of those zones and now they are much more palatable. I guess it would be too much to ask for an isomorphic view of the main map? One other thing.....I am a botanist by trade (or used to be as I am now retired) and never has a set of game zones ever made me love the concept of Agent Orange so much, as the HoT zones have!

I have to agree with this, I never found the map and minimap in GW2 particularly helpful. And in HOT it's really a pain at the beginning.Especially because there are also some places that are displayed incorrectly on the map because they are associated with events.In tarir for example there are some paths that are only accessible through an event, but are ALWAYS shown as open on the minimap. This drove me crazy at the beginning of HOT. I have absolutely no sense of direction, neither RL and even worse in such games and the mini-map in GW2 has brought me not only once out of my mind xD.

@Eraden.8740 said:I really hate the HoT areas but that is because it is so confusing to try and figure out how to get to a location that is literally only 100 feet away but could be 1000 feet above or below. The mini map seems to do a really subpar job of actually showing the differences in elevation and that makes using the mini map in those zones even more frustrating in terms of trying to plan out a route. Fortunately, A little bit of time and acquisition of some of the base mounts (Springer most notably) has softened my hatred of those zones and now they are much more palatable. I guess it would be too much to ask for an isomorphic view of the main map? One other thing.....I am a botanist by trade (or used to be as I am now retired) and never has a set of game zones ever made me love the concept of Agent Orange so much, as the HoT zones have!

Oh heck I have spent hour and hours going around in circles in HOT's. I am following other players hoping they show me the way to the next path. As you say all the mini map does is make's things worse. Where you want to go is there, right there on the map, but in reality it is nowhere to be seen just a void that if you glide off, you glide to your death.I love the silver wastes and Ruins of Orr, there's always lots going on there and it's fun, but these 2 expansions I have no real impulse to explore. After playing either I feel I have wasted my day

of all the places i never ever want to go back to it's HoT and dragon fall, it's obviously made with teamplay in mind combined with zerg trains.HoT is way to much as if i am playing a FPS but in the middle of WW2 without a single save zone, not at all fun when expecting to play a fantasy MMO.dragon fall is just a nightmare, it's like an open world version of the raid lobby, you ether be hardcore or you're out.to make matters worse, they are both made just for the purpose of keeping ppl busy, there is absolutely no immersion in it and the maps simply have no soul in it.but then again, the last time they made a proper looking map that feels natural they turned into an all out war zone, a waste of perfectly good skill and immersive thinking.

@"sorudo.9054" said:of all the places i never ever want to go back to it's HoT and dragon fall, it's obviously made with teamplay in mind combined with zerg trains.dragon fall is just a nightmare, it's like an open world version of the raid lobby, you ether be hardcore or you're out.to make matters worse, they are both made just for the purpose of keeping ppl busy, there is absolutely no immersion in it and the maps simply have no soul in it.but then again, the last time they made a proper looking map that feels natural they turned into an all out war zone, a waste of perfectly good skill and immersive thinking.

We must have played different dragon falls I guess, because I fail to see how it's even close to being a "zerg train map" outside of the meta event "finale"? Let alone claiming you need to "be hardcore or you're out" or somehow trying to compare it with "raid lobby"? What is this about?

HoT is way to much as if i am playing a FPS but in the middle of WW2 without a single save zone, not at all fun when expecting to play a fantasy MMO.

And that's false (even without taking "single" as literally "single" btw), but if you "just want to afk anywhere/anytime", then sure, we can pretend there are no safe zones. I think it's better that we can't just leave the character wherever we want and I'm confused about you disliking that fact seeing how you claim you want to be somehow "immersed" in those maps. Going into hostile territories and then "sleeping" in the middle of them seems like something you shouldn't want to be a thing if "immersion" is something you truly care about.

I'm not fond of the HoT maps either. I'm an average player, I don't chase any meta and my builds are ones that have developed over the years; and so I find myself very squishy and can barely move far without fighting for my life. I'd say that what I have managed to achieve on those maps is due to encountering another player doing the same task. Everything is a fight, either with the very-common veterans, common champions or with the game systems themselves.

Take the masteries, not only locked behind Mastery Points (some of which you need other masteries to get) but also a huge amount of experience. Assuming you've chosen them in the correct order to make acquiring subsequent Mastery Points attainable.Want to purchase an item that may help with the map, sorry you don't have the mastery to do that.

The additional professions require a x10 number of skill points the majority of which is another fight to attain. Assuming you can get to the point in question (masteries again).

HoT is beyond my skill and I presume so will PoF be. I like to play solo, do what I want without negotiation or reliance on other people.Not enjoying GW2, all I'm doing is picking to odd morsel I can manage and that isn't fun.

And to answer the inevitable:Yes, balancing between those who find it easy and those that don't is difficult. Congratulations on finding it easy.Yes, it is called Guild Wars (but that shouldn't be a requirement).I didn't know having to be gamerskill level x was listed with the game requirements.

There is a definite lack of waypoints in HOTs. I don't know why they rationed them so much apart from trying to frustrate the ** out of the player. And it's near as bad in POF. It's as it making waypoints costs them money.Their thinking might gone along the lines of 'lets make it competitive' and that's were they forgot it's a mmo and not a SP RPG.I just hope that the new expansion isn't another waste of time map that end's up a uninhabited wasteland. They have been in the business long enough and should know by now what turns the player on and what ***s them off.

@Joote.4081 said:

Oh heck I have spent hour and hours going around in circles in HOT's. I am following other players hoping they show me the way to the next path. As you say all the mini map does is make's things worse. Where you want to go is there, right there on the map, but in reality it is nowhere to be seen just a void that if you glide off, you glide to your death.I love the silver wastes and Ruins of Orr, there's always lots going on there and it's fun, but these 2 expansions I have no real impulse to explore. After playing either I feel I have wasted my day

Pay close attention to map markers, layers, and transparency. For instance, an objective marked on the map nearby will appear somewhat transparent if it is on another layer and it will show either an up or down arrow indicating its position relative to your location. If you click through the map layers (the little squares on the bottom right of your map) until the objective marker becomes solid you can further attempt to pinpoint where it is above or below you.

This doesn't necessarily tell you the way to reach the objective, but it will help you to close in on its position. Another thing to pay attention to are map markers that indicate pathways that transition between map layers. These include stairs, ramps, caves. You'll see a marker with an up/down arrow indicating a layer transition and then if you switch up or down in layer view as indicated by the arrow, you should see a corresponding symbol on that layer. This is how you tell where exactly in the map layers a particular pathway leads as it could possibly be above or below your position and it's not always as simple as walking a straight line to transition between layers such as when you are in a cave system.

@Joote.4081 said:There is a definite lack of waypoints in HOTs. I don't know why they rationed them so much apart from trying to frustrate the ** out of the player. And it's near as bad in POF. It's as it making waypoints costs them money.Their thinking might gone along the lines of 'lets make it competitive' and that's were they forgot it's a mmo and not a SP RPG.I just hope that the new expansion isn't another waste of time map that end's up a uninhabited wasteland. They have been in the business long enough and should know by now what turns the player on and what ***s them off.

It's not uninhabited wasteland. People just crowd those maps in their respective meta event times, didn't someone already explain this to you? How do you expect every map to be evenly filled up by the players when we constantly get new ones? Have you even thought about that before complaining about players magically not being in mutliple maps at the same time? :D

• Confused 1

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

Pay close attention to map markers, layers, and transparency. For instance, an objective marked on the map nearby will appear somewhat transparent if it is on another layer and it will show either an up or down arrow indicating its position relative to your location. If you click through the map layers (the little squares on the bottom right of your map) until the objective marker becomes solid you can further attempt to pinpoint where it is above or below you.

This doesn't necessarily tell you the way to reach the objective, but it will help you to close in on its position. Another thing to pay attention to are map markers that indicate pathways that transition between map layers. These include stairs, ramps, caves. You'll see a marker with an up/down arrow indicating a layer transition and then if you switch up or down in layer view as indicated by the arrow, you should see a corresponding symbol on that layer. This is how you tell where exactly in the map layers a particular pathway leads as it could possibly be above or below your position and it's not always as simple as walking a straight line to transition between layers such as when you are in a cave system.

I have been examining the HOTs map very closely for the markers you suggest and for the most part they help work it out, but I have come to a few places that don't seem to correspond. There is nothing above you or below yet the map shows a pathway through. One time I found the way through was a ledge inset from a cliff face that you can't see unless you glide down. There is no marker for this sort of situation, well I can't see one.

What would be a improvement to the POF maps?I think it's a given that they should reduce creature detection range.They they should add more waypoints for people to gather.Drastically reduce the missile throwing creatures or nerf them to one per cooldown and have it do more damage.Do something with the enemy that fires that death ray. Not only does it deplete your heath by half with one shot, you can't avoid it, add that to the fact that when they fire you are blinded by the blasted thing. Very un-fun.

@Joote.4081 said:What would be a improvement to the POF maps?

if i were to modify the existing PoF expansion maps (not including S4) i'd probably add a few more waypoints to certain places and maybe another rest area/outpost/town

and maybe meta events (change existing) that reward you really good to entice more people to populate the maps/zones even if they aren't part of the daily event/bounty of the day

@Joote.4081 said:What would be a improvement to the POF maps?I think it's a given that they should reduce creature detection range.They they should add more waypoints for people to gather.Drastically reduce the missile throwing creatures or nerf them to one per cooldown and have it do more damage.Do something with the enemy that fires that death ray. Not only does it deplete your heath by half with one shot, you can't avoid it, add that to the fact that when they fire you are blinded by the blasted thing. Very un-fun.

Where would you add waypoints in PoF maps? What hub is needing quick access that doesn’t already have it?

You are given access to a Raptor right at the start of PoF. You have the tools needed to roam around the zones faster than at any time before PoF. You are also given the tools to deal with the enemy mobs as frustrating as they may be.

Yes the PoF zones are a new and different challenge to everything prior, but that doesn’t mean they are too hard. Given how you describe combat with some mobs I wonder if you are using all the tools you have available to you.

@Astyrah.4015 said:and maybe meta events (change existing) that reward you really good to entice more people to populate the maps/zones even if they aren't part of the daily event/bounty of the day

Why not try to change the meta events into something people want to do regardless of rewards? Something that doesn't drag on as they do at least.

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:

@Joote.4081 said:What would be a improvement to the POF maps?I think it's a given that they should reduce creature detection range.They they should add more waypoints for people to gather.Drastically reduce the missile throwing creatures or nerf them to one per cooldown and have it do more damage.Do something with the enemy that fires that death ray. Not only does it deplete your heath by half with one shot, you can't avoid it, add that to the fact that when they fire you are blinded by the blasted thing. Very un-fun.

Where would you add waypoints in PoF maps? What hub is needing quick access that doesn’t already have it?

You are given access to a Raptor right at the start of PoF. You have the tools needed to roam around the zones faster than at any time before PoF. You are also given the tools to deal with the enemy mobs as frustrating as they may be.

Yes the PoF zones are a new and different challenge to everything prior, but that doesn’t mean they are too hard. Given how you describe combat with some mobs I wonder if you are using all the tools you have available to you.

Yes, yes, and yes, but it's boring.Plenty of places for waypoints . Just clear some of the trash mobs out and waypoint's your uncle. Waypoints are places that people port to and gather, there's just to few in POF and HOT's for that matter. Where the waypoints are at the moment I don't think anyone wants to be.

@Joote.4081 said:

Yes, yes, and yes, but it's boring.Plenty of places for waypoints . Just clear some of the trash mobs out and waypoint's your uncle. Waypoints are places that people port to and gather, there's just to few in POF and HOT's for that matter. Where the waypoints are at the moment I don't think anyone wants to be.

The waypoints in PoF maps are located in Camps and Towns, where you find vendors, quest givers, the normal player hub of activity existing. You don't think players want to have quick WP to these places?

Just saying "Plenty of places for waypoints. Just clear some of the trash mobs out and waypoint's your uncle." doesn't answer the question "Where would you add waypoints in PoF maps?"

PoF is meant for the introduction and use of mounts, as much as HoT is meant for gliders. Just part of the mechanics as well as the novelty of the maps. It's a desert. Think of the waypoint as an oasis, they won't be on every corner....Out of curiosity, what map do you like in core Tyria?

@"Joote.4081" said:I'm okay I've bought a Magumma portal operations device. I don't know what it's for but it sounds like it could help get around HOTs.

So you bought something without even knowing what it does, probably because it had "maguuma" and "portal" in the name? If this is the level of interaction you have with the game, I think I get why you're struggling to enjoy expansion content.

The good news is, that device will at least help you get to different places in the jungle. The bad news is, its ability to portal you around is tied to various events going on, so it's not like you can just take a new character and use that device to zoom to places you choose. Can only port to the vicinity of whatever event is going on (or about to start).

@"Joote.4081" said:I love the silver wastes and Ruins of Orr, there's always lots going on there and it's fun, but these 2 expansions I have no real impulse to explore.

Let me get this, you say you love the silverwastes but

4 - The thing I dislike the most is that the majority of the creatures have grenade launchers. Who thought that would be fun? It started with Heart of thorns with those bloody annoying vines spamming grenades on you continuously.

Those "vines" you are talking about started in the silverwastes and you fight them literally everywhere. They are there when you take a fort, they are there during events around the fort, they are there when you defend the fort. So one of the 4 things you complain about in your opening post exist in a zone that you say you love.

Where the waypoints are at the moment I don't think anyone wants to be.

If you actually go where the waypoints are in HOT/POF zones, it's where the players are. Because there are merchants, trading post, or simple "safe zones" to relax, or where to gather for the next event chain to begin. The waypoints are exactly where everyone wants to be.

They they should add more waypoints for people to gather.

You got it backwards. The more waypoints you have, the more spread out people will be. The less waypoints you have, the more compact the playerbase is going to be.

They have been in the business long enough and should know by now what turns the player on and what *****s them off.

Yes, they've been in the business long enough. And what they did with that experience is make HOT in 2015 and POF in 2017 (and the living world maps) to be opposite to what you like. I'm sure they got their metrics on what turns plays away and it's why we've had zones with less waypoints for 6 years.

On the other hand, what you are asking here is to make new zones like the ones already abandoned the last 6 years. What would the point in that be other than alienating their current players, those that stayed with the game the last 6 years.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@"Joote.4081" said:I'm okay I've bought a Magumma portal operations device.
I don't know what it's for
but it sounds like it could help get around HOTs.

So you bought something without even knowing what it does, probably because it had "maguuma" and "portal" in the name? If this is the level of interaction you have with the game, I think I get why you're struggling to enjoy expansion content.

The good news is, that device will at least help you get to different places in the jungle. The bad news is, its ability to portal you around is tied to various events going on, so it's not like you can just take a new character and use that device to zoom to places you choose. Can only port to the vicinity of whatever event is going on (or about to start).

Hopefully it will get me into the action. As you know traveling in HOTs is not straight forward so it should be very handy. Much better than standing on a branch talking to a frog while waiting for something to kick off.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Joote.4081" said:I love the silver wastes and Ruins of Orr, there's always lots going on there and it's fun, but these 2 expansions I have no real impulse to explore.

Let me get this, you say you love the silverwastes but

4 - The thing I dislike the most is that the majority of the creatures have grenade launchers. Who thought that would be fun? It started with Heart of thorns with those bloody annoying vines spamming grenades on you continuously.

Those "vines" you are talking about started in the silverwastes and you fight them literally everywhere. They are there when you take a fort, they are there during events around the fort, they are there when you defend the fort. So one of the 4 things you complain about in your opening post exist in a zone that you say you love.

Where the waypoints are at the moment I don't think anyone wants to be.

If you actually go where the waypoints are in HOT/POF zones, it's where the players are. Because there are merchants, trading post, or simple "safe zones" to relax, or where to gather for the next event chain to begin. The waypoints are exactly where everyone wants to be.

They they should add more waypoints for people to gather.

You got it backwards. The more waypoints you have, the more spread out people will be. The less waypoints you have, the more compact the playerbase is going to be.

They have been in the business long enough and should know by now what turns the player on and what *****s them off.

Yes, they've been in the business long enough. And what they did with that experience is make HOT in 2015 and POF in 2017 (and the living world maps) to be opposite to what you like. I'm sure they got their metrics on what turns plays away and it's why we've had zones with less waypoints for 6 years.

On the other hand, what you are asking here is to make new zones like the ones already abandoned the last 6 years. What would the point in that be other than alienating their current players, those that stayed with the game the last 6 years.

Yes I find the vines very annoying but having them in the silver wastes is not the same as having them on a tiny path were you can't manoeuvre, that is beyond annoying. The vines are bloody annoying were ever they crop up.Grenade launching monsters in the silver wastes are not even close to those of POF.

The other good thing with the Silver wastes is that you are never fighting alone so your not to soul target for the creature barrage. You can dodge the fire without dodging into the fire if you get my drift.Again, having many waypoints allows players to join in the action quickly, also they are a great way to avoid the carpet of trash mobs to get to the said action. The dev's might want us to fight our way through the mobs every time we want to get from A to B, but I doubt players share the same view.

@Joote.4081 said:Again, having many waypoints allows players to join in the action quickly, also they are a great way to avoid the carpet of trash mobs to get to the said action. The dev's might want us to fight our way through the mobs every time we want to get from A to B, but I doubt players share the same view.

Luckily this is not a hub based mmo where you just tp directly to content and open world requires some degree of actual interaction. Seems like an actual mmorpg to me. If you want to be tped to content, start playing fractals, drms, raids, SM and so on.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Joote.4081 said:Again, having many waypoints allows players to join in the action quickly, also they are a great way to avoid the carpet of trash mobs to get to the said action. The dev's might want us to fight our way through the mobs every time we want to get from A to B, but I doubt players share the same view.

Luckily this is not a hub based mmo where you
just tp directly to content
and open world requires some degree of actual interaction. Seems like an actual mmorpg to me. If you want to be tped to content, start playing fractals, drms, raids, SM and so on.

I know, but how many times do you want to interact. First time great 100th time, run through that s***. :) I never want to miss out on content but I'm a bit sceptical if trash mobs count or not.