Ideas what to do with essences of luck

ezd.6359

@evilsofa.7296 said:I have the perfect sink for excess luck that won't break anything else: food.

And to make it interesting, not just an MF boost because that would be lazy and unoriginal, let's make Lucky Food give random boons and conditions.

that would break the food market and game balance completely

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

@Wanze.8410 said:Just to put some parameters down of what Anet definately wont do for additional luck sinks:

The fractal dev made some interested comments regarding new sinks for fractal relics a month or so ago, that illustrates their design philosophy for overabundant account bound currencies and materials.

You can basically forget hoping for a new sink that will enable you to turn your huge oversupply into gold because it would retroactively reward players, that already have a more efficient method of getting valuable loot (high mf), for farming and hoarding in the past. If you could turn it into other tradeable materials or items, the huge influx of unused EoL would basically destroy any material market and reward plenty of veterans with a lump sum of gold.

The best you can hope for is a luck eater that will be limited in daily consumption and wont reward you more than a couple of silver per day. And the limited amout of luck it will eat, will probably barely cover the daily luck that players, who maxed out on MF will earn every day with their playstyle, so it wont be an adequate sink for the EoL you are already hoarding.

Allow people to use the exotic EoL to craft MF enrichments with similar recipes to infusions, gold sink through TP and catalyst purchase too.

if those material requirements are higher than 15g per enrichment, players will choose to obtain magical enrichments with 20 laurels instead and you only need 1 enrichment per alt, tops. So this is neither an efficient long term luck or gold sink.

@Shirlias.8104 said:Seems that removing the cap could be the only way then.Maybe by setting extra luck points even higher.

From 219 to 300 you need 30k each lvl.Then over 300 could be i don't know 500k each lvl? 1 Milion?

how about you do the same as me and keep using consume all on EoL and every 1 million EoL wasted, I imagine I have 1% more magic find on my account?

And i swear, I get better drops now, since I wasted the last 1 million EoL.

@Wanze.8410 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:Seems that removing the cap could be the only way then.Maybe by setting extra luck points even higher.

From 219 to 300 you need 30k each lvl.Then over 300 could be i don't know 500k each lvl? 1 Milion?

how about you do the same as me and keep using consume all on EoL and every 1 million EoL wasted, I imagine I have 1% more magic find on my account?

And i swear, I get better drops now, since I wasted the last 1 million EoL.

If i do like you, i would have done the same with the transmutation stonesold https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmutation_Stonewhich after some time became useful in order to get something.

The real problem here is that the system has a big flaw, and we are simply discussing in order to find a way to solve it.Turning your back to the problem won't help in this discussion.

@Wanze.8410 said:

@Wanze.8410 said:Just to put some parameters down of what Anet definately wont do for additional luck sinks:

The fractal dev made some interested comments regarding new sinks for fractal relics a month or so ago, that illustrates their design philosophy for overabundant account bound currencies and materials.

You can basically forget hoping for a new sink that will enable you to turn your huge oversupply into gold because it would retroactively reward players, that already have a more efficient method of getting valuable loot (high mf), for farming and hoarding in the past. If you could turn it into other tradeable materials or items, the huge influx of unused EoL would basically destroy any material market and reward plenty of veterans with a lump sum of gold.

The best you can hope for is a luck eater that will be limited in daily consumption and wont reward you more than a couple of silver per day. And the limited amout of luck it will eat, will probably barely cover the daily luck that players, who maxed out on MF will earn every day with their playstyle, so it wont be an adequate sink for the EoL you are already hoarding.

Allow people to use the exotic EoL to craft MF enrichments with similar recipes to infusions, gold sink through TP and catalyst purchase too.

if those material requirements are higher than 15g per enrichment, players will choose to obtain magical enrichments with 20 laurels instead and you only need 1 enrichment per alt, tops. So this is neither an efficient long term luck or gold sink.

I explained what I meant better in an earlier post, the idea was to allow progression infinitely above the 20% enrichment, as per infusions, but using EoL as materials with catalysts and allow their sale on the TP. So you craft two 20% enrichments and then combine those for a 21%.

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

@Wanze.8410 said:

I explained what I meant better in an earlier post, the idea was to allow progression infinitely above the 20% enrichment, as per infusions, but using EoL as materials with catalysts and allow their sale on the TP. So you craft two 20% enrichments and then combine those for a 21%.

dont bother to link or repost what you actually mean. Because it doesnt matter anyways. You are assuming that raising the max magic find per account wont cause any problems with rewards systems that were implemented over 5 years ago, from devs that have left Anet for a while and had no idea that players could buff their applied mf to over 1k% at some point, when they implemented those reward structures.

• 2 weeks later...

@Kalendraf.9521 said:I've been playing since release, and I salvage all blues and greens (weapons & armors), and nearly all yellow/gold (armors), but I'm nowhere near maxing out luck yet.

Ditto, I hit max a few weeks ago. Never rushed it. But now Im starting to REALLY get annoyed by it. Why cant Anet just turn off the luck drops once you hit max when you are max? Cant be THAT difficult to write a script for. Having a useless drop just feels worse than having none at all. Having a drop I cant even VENDOR but have to TRASH, thats just....Like finding a 10 year old oreo behind your refrigerator.

I would go with using stacks of exotic essences as an alternative to Mystic coins for mystic forge recipes that are not involved in legendary crafting.

Like the recipe to turn bloodstone bricks back into bloodstone or the recipe to upgrade minor and major snowfall runes, or the recipe to convert mists essences, or even for some of the recipes for weapons, feasts and boxes of gear, like those require less than 50 mystic coins.

Depending on the rarity of the result, the number of exotic essences required would be higher.

I would be ok with a luck eater, or similar reward, for those who have capped to get something. I would NOT be ok with raising the cap as new and returning players are severely behind as it is. No matter how many ectos you shred or trick or treat bags you open you never seem to get to the next MF level.

As Wanze said, there are some obvious parameters governing what ANet might do with luck:

• They won't increase the MF-from-luck cap substantively; it has too much impact on all the reward structures in the game.
  • It won't be anything that allows people with millions of stockpiled luck to cash in suddenly.
  • It won't be anything that makes it easy to convert luck to gold, e.g. a replacement for clover or mystic coins.
  • And (although Wanze didn't mention it), they aren't going to make those with low luck feel like they have to grind to catch up.

There's no question that ANet created its own problem here, in that they give out luck like candy at Halloween, while the existing cap is easily reached (the amounts needed increase in a linear step function, rather than grow exponentially). So veterans are frequently hitting the cap now and non-vets are also capping, if they like opening various containers (especially for Halloween) or salvaging unID gear or grinding e.g. RIBA.

But just because there is an issue doesn't mean that ANet is going to ignore all the foreseeable issues of proposed solutions. Much as many of us would like to see new uses for luck, I would bet against anything that exciting happening anytime soon.

It is obvious that once it has been fixed somehow, players with stacked luck essences will get more currency than the ones who still didn't cap mf.

The better choice would be making it currently useless by turning the currency into a wallet currency ( then adding a vendor in order to convert it into essences, in order to allow those who still didn't cap to trade for and then consume essences ), then think about a way to use it.

To me the best way would be to incrase mf overcap in a infinite way.

Instead of 30k needed each lvl, something like 50 mil needed, then 100 mil needed, then 150 mil needed, etc... would be harmless and slow ( maybe a multiple of 50 mil could be pretty low, but they simply have to think about. ).

A way to make cash should be avoided ( so i do agree with your point 2 or 3 ), but about point 1 and 4 there's nothing you can do about ( at least about point 4 ).It's like stacking a 10c / piece resource then asking that players who have it don't make money from trading it once it gets some value back.

@Shirlias.8104 said:To me the best way would be to incrase mf overcap in a infinite way.It impacts the reward structures already in place. They aren't going to offer any sort of substantive increase from 300% max. And of course they can do something about point (4): avoid adding anything very lucrative for excess luck; that prevents people without max find from having to worry about deciding whether to worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Still going with the idea of diminishing returns. Make the current cap a soft cap, once you reach the soft cap reduce the gain to .1% and double its price each level up. Then we are left with no reason to stack them and people can still gain progress without risking extreme amounts of luck throwing off loot rolls.

I also do like the idea of adding them into additional guild hall sinks and could see them being an option in some alternate scribing recipes.

I prefer it being hard capped because of the sense of completion, another solution would be preferable like it being used for maybe cooking materials for luck boosting food or crafting materials, maybe make "lucky aura" item or infusion even with them?

I still think that to put them on some other thing like karma gain % or gold find would be fine also.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived