Tengu Voice - Dislike

The Olmakhan were some sort of tribe and they had their way of talking, their "accent" and the terms they useThe Koda came from far away and they aren't the best in "Tyrian Language"

TENGU? they sound like asura and they speak fluent Tyrian and they were closed behind the walls almost no contect to life out side, Anet is losing touch

• Confused 1

Agreed! I am not done with the release yet, but that's the first thing I noticed. In the Caledon Forest mission, the Tengu you work with is young and explains to you that she has only been outside the walls three times. This is one of her first interactions with non-Tengu. Yet, she has no accent at all while older, more mature Dominion Tengu who trade outside the walls regularly have thick accents.

I thought she sounded fine, and I liked the juxtaposition of her being big with a sweet/young sounding voice. She’s supposed to be young as implied in the DRM. I felt there should’ve been some kind of vocal effect to make her sound reedy like a wind instrument. Sadly not.

This patch felt pretty rough.

I didn't mind the voice itself--that was fine. What I do mind is the inconsistency. She can have a sweet, high pitched voice but she either needs to have an accent with the voice, or an explanation as to why she doesn't. Heck, she could even make a comment to the effect of "I'm unusually talented at learning other languages" and I'd be fine with it. But when EVERY dominion Tengu up to this point has a heavy accent EXCEPT this young, inexperienced one who has never been around other races before, it's wrong. To see what I mean, go find one of those Tengu merchants in Caledon and interact with him. He'll say "Pleasant greeting" in this clicky, birdy accent.

I don't like it either. It isn't even just the voice, but the personality as well.

Hearing tengu NPCs up until now, usually they make some pretty philosophical statements and come across as wise, cautious, and xenophobic. The voice and rhetoric is too "modern" if that is even the right word. Also, this tengu acted like they were oblivious to what is happening outside of their walls. But even Kensho Arrowsoul in the guild hall says stuff like, "I am a scribe from the Dominion of Winds. We tengu see how the world is changing—how the dragons have ravaged Tyria. I have come to lend my aid."

Just seems like a poorly written character in general, and a bit disappointing considering the years of intrigue surrounding their civilization.

Keep in mind that almost all Tengu we meet outside the walls are male, not female. Presumably they're also mainly hunters, with the few traders we know of being situated very close to the wall and having much more subtle attitudes.

I thought the voice was a little high pitched, but that's all. We just don't know enough about them to judge.

I agree she sounded a bit different but maybe there's a reason behind it. Just a guess (a wild one) but maybe a Tengu having a seemingly normal voice with some bird effects thrown in could be how they'd reuse voicelines if Tengu do become a new race in EoD?

Honestly though I think playable Tengu are highly unlikely and she just has a strange voice in comparison to the others :lol:

The VA in this game are just a complete hit or miss. Literal talking frogs talks like some random dude on a couch speaking in perfect Tyrian (English). Half the dialogue show no hints of emotion or variation. It really feel like Anet just hired people and told them to read a script, without telling them the source or context of the conversation, so everything sounds like a random day in the park.

I thought she sounded like the quaggan, Willoo from the hero point in Lake Gendarr. I was admittedly surprised and disappointed too though interestingly it wasn't because I was expecting an accent. All Tengu we've met so far have spoken with a similar cadence, and a stilted manner of word use; almost painfully formal.Perhaps it is because Kilidris Sparrowhawk is young that they don't have any of this and it is meant to make them more relatable.Their story implies they are some sort of outcast in their community; maybe making them sound so different is to help further illustrate that.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:The Tengu we met in the DRM sounds like a skritt in disguise.

I strongly suspect that's Taimi's voice actress, it sounds just like her. So does Snow Leopard, while Wolf sounds a lot like...Canach.

Maybe it's just my imagination...but if they're reduced to having the same two or three voice actors do all the parts, maybe they ought to consider removing voice acting from the game again until things improve. The voice acting in this episode is just jarring.

Personally I rather liked the chirpiness of her voice...she sounds youthful, curious, and there is a bird like undertone that is interesting. Not every bird sounds like a hawk or penguin. Not as squeaky or snarky as an asura, not growly like a charr. Having some different ranges for their voices would be welcome.

@"firedragon.8953" said:I don't like it either. It isn't even just the voice, but the personality as well.

Hearing tengu NPCs up until now, usually they make some pretty philosophical statements and come across as wise, cautious, and xenophobic. The voice and rhetoric is too "modern" if that is even the right word. Also, this tengu acted like they were oblivious to what is happening outside of their walls. But even Kensho Arrowsoul in the guild hall says stuff like, "I am a scribe from the Dominion of Winds. We tengu see how the world is changing—how the dragons have ravaged Tyria. I have come to lend my aid."

Just seems like a poorly written character in general, and a bit disappointing considering the years of intrigue surrounding their civilization.

The tengu who live within the Dominion of the Winds are divided into Houses reflecting the different tribes and cultures they came from. Kalidris Sparrowhawk specifically mentions her House and their opinions on humans and others outside the Dominion. It's entirely possible Kensho and other tengu we've met before are from different houses with different attitudes towards the outside world.

For example Kalidris could be part of a House mainly (or originally) made up of tengu from Cantha who had to flee their original homes due to the Canthan empire's increasingly xenophobic views, so their view could be that forming the Dominion and closing themselves off from outsiders was necessary for their survival, while Kensho could be a descendant of the Caromi tribe who originally lived alongside humans in Kryta (not without conflict) and saw their lands converted to the Dominion of Winds when the over tengu arrived. They may consider the wall and the isolation excessive given they lived alongside humans before and weren't driven away.

Or it could be more individual. I mean, my mother, mother-in-law and I are all part of not just the same race and culture but the same family and if you asked us about the pros and cons of going to work in a foreign country or encouraging more immigration to this one you'd get three very different answers. We know other races in GW2 don't all agree with each other, so the tengu could be the same.

I have a feeling that one NPC has a different voice to mark them as "different" or an outsider to their tribe kind of. Don't be surprised if they end up being the character that brings you into otherwise unreachable places with Tengu. Or if they have curiosity about other races and cultures.

@"Danikat.8537" said:The tengu who live within the Dominion of the Winds are divided into Houses reflecting the different tribes and cultures they came from. Kalidris Sparrowhawk specifically mentions her House and their opinions on humans and others outside the Dominion. It's entirely possible Kensho and other tengu we've met before are from different houses with different attitudes towards the outside world.

I do not disagree. Of course personalities of any race/species would not be homogeneous, however, I am more or less referring to her surprise how we are well adjusted to be facing the elder dragon minion threats. I find it hard to believe that the inhabitants would be so oblivious to the happenings with the Elder dragons, pact, and commander, etc. as there are Tengu that have left the Dominion and have appeared during the campaigns, even as far back as Zhaitan. The character's rhetoric, such as super fluent New Kyrtan (?) is also bizarre and inconsistent. She is both very modern and also knows nothing at the same time.

Or it could be more individual.

I have no doubt that the writers wanted to make a somewhat quirky character. This is a trope that the game uses a lot. Some dialog even alluded to that she may be a "misfit" when the other Tengu we met was like "YOU, assembled an army?" Although I honestly took this simply because she is young and not of a warrior/hunter background.

I'll remain optimistic however, and maybe it is a setup for something interesting rather than poor communication with the VA or just shotty story character development.