[Poll] Weapon for the next Thief Elite Specialization

Sodeni.6041

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Mace/Mace.

Cudgels are a thief weapon after all. Honestly Thief has DPS of various sorts down. A set with a heavy emphasis on debilitating and CCing a foe would be nice. Lots of weakness, blinds, vulnerability, stuns, dazes, and a knockdown.

Dude, you just described the daredevil.

I'm talking more CC and more weakness sans the acrobatics and more of a slugger in a back alley.

But weakness and CC are exactly the theme of the daredevil additional to the acrobatics stuff.Quite some of daredevils durability, who is supposed to be a bruiser elite spec, comes from weakness application and enhancing weakness by taking even further reduced damage from weakened foes.

And especially CC.... look how many CC spells daredevil gave to the thief.Hook Strike, Reflexive Strike, Distracting Daggers, Palm Strike, Impact Strike + UppercutAlmost all the new utility skills daredevils gets provide some form of hard CC. Some of them even applying them multiple times.

With all this, I think another spec that focuses on weakness and CC is redundant. Daredevil fills that niche exactly. What thief actually needs is a spec that has some supportive value.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't main thief, or even play it often. But I do like the idea of a torch thief...

She had gone on many adventures, but often came back alone. Lost so many teams to the dangers of the world. The shadows managed to keep her alive. If only the could keep the others safe, too. The thief picks up a torch that had been dropped by a recently slain comrade, casts a shadow into the corridor over the remainder of her struggling team. The darkness envelopes the group and gives them just enough of a break to get back into the fight.

I can see it as a very support-based spec with smoke fields, swiftness, and heavy themes on selflessness (mostly because I think it'd be an interesting lore reason for the spec). Possible named, the shadowguard.One skill could be a linear smoke field which could grant allies speed just to keep it simple. And just idea for a minor trait; the thief gets reduced incoming boon duration, but instead have greatly increased outgoing boon/healing.Thoughts from actual thief players?

What I'd most like to see is an elite spec that explores new territory when it comes to playing the thief. Core thief kind of had this vibe of a selfish, roaming loner, good at handling single targets but not as good at playing with others or working well in large-scale settings. By and large, Daredevil just kind of doubled down on that. Deadeye is less mobile, but still pretty much the same idea of a selfish DPS good at picking off single targets. At least in theory if not execution.

Plus, both Rifle and Staff are power weapons.I like the idea of a Torch thief that leans heavier into Condi damage (burning, since Thieves don't have that innately) and is better at skirmishing.Alternatively, a "Medic" specialization that does party support could be neat.A support class that actually likes pushing all of its buttons could be a neat way to leverage initiative in a more interesting way too.

I've seen some people talk about a swashbuckler or assassin with an offhand sword and while I totally get why that'd be fun, I feel like it'd just end up being way too much of the same basic idea we've been retreading with Thief since 2012.

alternatively: Greatsword or hammer because I have no idea what a thief with those weapons would even look like and weird is good.

I am hoping for new weapons. I would love Ninja spec with brass knuckles. (The new weapon cestus / boxing glove could be used on Warrior brawler too.)

But with a current weapon .... I like the torch tomb raider / Indiana Jones idea. Envisioning lots of smoke and blinding.

@"Brycar.2651" said:I am hoping for new weapons. I would love Ninja spec with brass knuckles. (The new weapon cestus / boxing glove could be used on Warrior brawler too.)

But with a current weapon .... I like the torch tomb raider / Indiana Jones idea. Envisioning lots of smoke and blinding.

The thing is that "ninja" is kinda already there as an elite spec, so it would be redundant.

Daredevil is the ninja archetype in this game, there is just so much stuff pointing at it.

• their e-spec headpiece looks like something a ninja would wear.
  • they are using a bo as their ascended weapon, which is a traditional Japanese weapon.
  • the daredevil uses alot of martial arts techniques and other tricks (throwing knives), like fist flurry, palm strike, impairing daggers, distracting daggers

No one can tell me that "ninja" wasn't the first thing coming to their mind when they saw the daredevil advertisement picture the first time:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/e/e8/Spec_image_Daredevil.jpg/719px-Spec_image_Daredevil.jpg

So.... ninja as an archetype wouldn't really bring something new for the thief. It would just double up on the daredevil for me. Hence why I prefer a "yakuza" spec as the next one for thief. Something that makes you the leader of your own little gang of criminals, which seems appropriate for Cantha, since gang fights have been a thing there (like the Am Fah and Jade Brotherhood fighting each other for territory).

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"Brycar.2651" said:I am hoping for new weapons. I would love Ninja spec with brass knuckles. (The new weapon cestus / boxing glove could be used on Warrior brawler too.)

The thing is that "ninja" is kinda already there as an elite spec, so it would be redundant.

Daredevil is the ninja archetype in this game, there is just so much stuff pointing at it.
  • their e-spec headpiece looks like something a ninja would wear.
  • they are using a bo as their ascended weapon, which is a traditional Japanese weapon.
  • the daredevil uses alot of martial arts techniques and other tricks (throwing knives), like fist flurry, palm strike, impairing daggers, distracting daggers

No one can tell me that "ninja" wasn't the first thing coming to their mind when they saw the daredevil advertisement picture the first time:

So.... ninja as an archetype wouldn't really bring something new for the thief. It would just double up on the daredevil for me. Hence why I prefer a "yakuza" spec as the next one for thief. Something that makes you the leader of your own little gang of criminals, which seems appropriate for Cantha, since gang fights have been a thing there (like the Am Fah and Jade Brotherhood fighting each other for territory).

Hand to hand martial arts combat would be totally new to the game.

The gang idea is interesting. I would want different skins as an option. My gang might be swashbucklers or secret agents.

@"Brycar.2651" said:Hand to hand martial arts combat would be totally new to the game.

The gang idea is interesting. I would want different skins as an option. My gang might be swashbucklers or secret agents.

Can't say that hand to hand martial arts would be "totally new to the game".

Daredevil, again, at least partially covers that thematic. It would be new to get hand to hand martial arts as weapon skills, but we already have it thematically with some of daredevil's utility skills: bandit's defense/reflexive strike, fist flurry/palm strike, impact strike/uppercut/finishing blow.

All these skills are inspired by hand to hand martial arts with fitting animations.

I like the idea to have skin for skills in the game. Would also love to have different skins for my kits or turrets on my engineer. But I kinda doubt that this will happen soon.