What a Longbow elite could look like for elementalist in EoD

Arheundel.6451

@The Boz.2038 said:

@The Boz.2038 said:Any weapon Ele is going to get is most likely not going to be a weapon that they already have as a Conjure. So, no longbow or shortbow, greatsword, axe, shield, or hammer.

Imagine that mentality being applied to Guardian...

Spirit Weapons are not Conjures. You don't wield them as you do a weapon.

I know how Spirit Weapons and Conjures work.

I've heard the point you make many times but I never understood why people latch onto it. It makes little sense because utilities and weapons are completely unique and separate mechanics that are mutually exclusive of each other (that is, you can't use both at the same time). Logically, one would think you can't give Elementalist a Shield because it gets Earth Shield but describe a profession that exists that can equip a shield that has 5 skills on separate clicks. It doesn't exist because Shield is an off-hand weapon. At best, one can argue it creates some aesthetic redundancy but that's hardly a strong argument against these weapons added to the profession.

@The Boz.2038 said:

@The Boz.2038 said:Any weapon Ele is going to get is most likely not going to be a weapon that they already have as a Conjure. So, no longbow or shortbow, greatsword, axe, shield, or hammer.

There is no conjurable Longbow.

Conjure Frost Bow summons a weapon that has the exact same design as both a longbow and a shortbow. While the Conjure's range fits that of a shortbow, the overlap is obvious, and will be detrimental to the PvP/WvW experience.

But would it really be such a big deal?

I would agree that it is detrimental for competitive if conjured weapons would work like kits, which are instant swaps. But they don't, they are summoned and creating an object (another one of the conjured weapon), so there is already a tell when the ele is switching to a conjured frost bow.Also there is the buff on the bar if I am not mistaken that tells you if they have the conjured weapon equipped currently.

If Anet shares your stance that ele shouldn't receive a weapon they can conjure, then this leaves us just with these options:

• mace
  • pistol
  • torch (how the FUCK is that not a core weapon on ele????)
  • rifle

Personally, I'm leaning towards some pistol-based Bulletstorm spec. Utility skills that "prime" to trigger on target with next attack.Torch seems obvious, yeah, but it's so very fire/water that it's hard to present it as air or earth. Obsidian Fire maybe counts, I guess, but air?

@The Boz.2038 said:Conjure Frost Bow summons a weapon that has the exact same design as both a longbow and a shortbow.Just because the skin has been recycled for Longbows, doesn't make the conjured bow one as well.

the overlap is obviousThere is no overlap. The range difference makes it possible to distinctly differentiate between them.

detrimental to the PvP/WvW experienceGoing by your line of thought, all ranged weapons, including already existing ones, are detrimental to PvP and WvW.

@"The Boz.2038" said:Personally, I'm leaning towards some pistol-based Bulletstorm spec. Utility skills that "prime" to trigger on target with next attack.Torch seems obvious, yeah, but it's so very fire/water that it's hard to present it as air or earth. Obsidian Fire maybe counts, I guess, but air?

I personally prefer the idea that was thrown around sometimes of making elementalist more of a "purist" by restricting them to 2 elements instead of all 4 in combat.

And the thing is, with this idea, torch actually becomes a very attractive choice as the weapon thematically. For example, it could be an order of elementalists which are training by focusing on an element they are most affin to. And the torch could be a symbolic weapon, like for example if the founder of this order was a dedicated fire mage.

Attacks related to the other elements could still be possible with torch, tho. For example, they could have attacks which are heating up the air to weaken their foes, could be called "drought" or something.If you are creative enough, you can make stuff up for literally anything.

I personally still prefer the idea of a longbow, tho. Especially since Cantha is the setting and archery is oftenly associated as a practice of concentration in Asian culture.

@Fueki.4753 said:Just because the skin has been recycled for Longbows, doesn't make the conjured bow one as well.Never said it does.There is no overlap. The range difference makes it possible to distinctly differentiate between them.Yes, because when one is shooting at you, you can tell the difference by range? And you can know where you're safe by... range?Going by your line of thought, all ranged weapons, including already existing ones, are detrimental to PvP and WvW.Utter nonsense.

All of this is fun but there no way ele going to get any thing but its 4-6 boon set and something silly with the only 4 atuments and another melee weapons because mages in gw2 are melee only your tankly classes are the only ones who get good ranged attks.

Forgot to add a new teleport utility. Elementalist is the flimsiest of the scholar classes, AND now has the fewest/worst teleports of them. Elemenetalist NEEDS a newer, better teleport than lightning flash. Even guardians are teleporting more often than the 'wizard' class. wtf

Props for the effort on this, both on the concept, info, and design.I'm not very keen on the idea though. Not saying its bad, just that at this point, I'd rather have a weapon swap spec.Arcane archer doesn't need to be about the arcane forces, lots of arcane archer concepts have been about imbuing arrows with some magic.I'd much rather have something like this for the Cantha Expac: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/76602/new-elite-spec-disciple-weapon-swap-and-longbowI think it fits the theme more, and gives ele a whole different playstyle with weapon swap and a more martial style.

I really want the arcane element down the line, but I think it would be more fun with a spellslinger using dual pistols...

On the prospect of getting a weapon swap for the new espec, I was thinking how the skills would land if we could no longer attunement swap (instead, you get imbuments) but instead got the skills of a weapon by this pattern:

FIRE = auto attack and #2 skillAIR = #3 skillWATER = #4 skillEARTH = #5 skill

So for staff, you'd have Fireball, Lava Font, Gust, Frozen Ground and Shock Wave would be the full set of skills for that weapon. I'd probably add some number tweeks for this version with more potent effects or shorter cooldowns. The imbuments' effects would depend on the traits in the espec as you could have them create effects at your location or on the target of your next attack, make them add effects to all your other skills or embolden the start buffs you'd gain from being in that attunement.

• 2 weeks later...

@ OP => Great effortWhat weapon? From a development POV, I think they won't go with a 5-skill weapon (so bows and greatsword are out), because three skills (main hand) or two skills (off hand) is a lot easier to work with.What the Ele needs is a true ranged weapon that is effective at the 900-1200 units range to fight single targets with good mobility effectively (which the staff and the sceptre can't).I would like to see the torch as the new weapon, but that's just me (can work both main or off hand).

@Gorani.7205 said:@ OP => Great effortWhat weapon? From a development POV, I think they won't go with a 5-skill weapon (so bows and greatsword are out), because three skills (main hand) or two skills (off hand) is a lot easier to work with.What the Ele needs is a true ranged weapon that is effective at the 900-1200 units range to fight single targets with good mobility effectively (which the staff and the sceptre can't).I would like to see the torch as the new weapon, but that's just me (can work both main or off hand).

It'd be fine if Arenanet didn't invent 20 unique skills for a Longbow though.They could just design five skills and simply add flavours to them depending on attunement.Fire could apply Burn or Might.Water could heal in a small AoE around the player or the target.Air could apply Vulnerability.Earth could apply Cripple or Bleeding.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@steki.1478 said:Whats tempest if not one attunementTempest is not designed for staying long in one Attunement.It's designed to stay in an Attunement until you can overload it than than switch to the next.

Andy?Maybe you should not assume people's names.

You barely have to swap them or generally focus only around 2 if you want to maximize your role.That may be how people play it.However, that's not how it was designed.

Issue is. Kinda rips the point of ele out..

This would be like pulling shatters out of mesmer and replacing it with nothing.

Designing elementalist to stay in one attunement would effectively be marketing a specc completely in a different direction to those they sold it too.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Gorani.7205 said:@ OP => Great effortWhat weapon? From a development POV, I think they won't go with a 5-skill weapon (so bows and greatsword are out), because three skills (main hand) or two skills (off hand) is a lot easier to work with.What the Ele needs is a true ranged weapon that is effective at the 900-1200 units range to fight single targets with good mobility effectively (which the staff and the sceptre can't).I would like to see the torch as the new weapon, but that's just me (can work both main or off hand).

It'd be fine if Arenanet didn't invent 20 unique skills for a Longbow though.They could just design five skills and simply add flavours to them depending on attunement.Fire could apply Burn or Might.Water could heal in a small AoE around the player or the target.Air could apply Vulnerability.Earth could apply Cripple or Bleeding.

Weaver added more abilities then 20.

3x every element + 1 for every dual element. Including underwater.

People who make these arguments don't seem to be aware of quite how many abilities were created for elementalist.

We will likely remain with attunements in all honesty unless they go for something super different

Example would be arcane as a base build. F1 - F4 be elements on different CDs to modify your damage type for a period of time to create bursts of element damage.

So think of attunements but with larger CDs and more impactful effects.