[WvW] Elder's Respite build that has been working for me

Shroud.2307

Build here.

I always liked Elder's Respite, but never felt it was much worth taking over Core Value or Rising Momentum (and I mean it still isn't really, but for the sake of this build I wanted to do something with it). Remembering Dwayna runes and that they also grant +20% Regen effectiveness, I got to thinking about it. With Battle Scars granting a moderate amount of Life Siphon, and being favored in PvP for the added sustain, maybe some strengthened Regen would make it more desirable in WvW where damage is higher.

So to explain a little about it,-it has +40% Regen effectiveness, Regen lingers for some time after swapping out of Glint if you camp Infuse Light (which you want to do with this to maintain Regen), and with stacks of Battle Scars + other Siphons like Enchanted Daggers and/or True Nature - Assassin, you get some pretty significant sustained healing. Regen ticks for nearly 300 on top of Siphons every hit, so with everything going you can be getting up to 400 or more healing per tick. I'm able to Unrelenting Assault and get back something like 5k health.

The Healing infusions aren't entirely necessary, just preference, but they do add a moderate amount of effectiveness to the Regen.

I find the loss in damage of taking Healing stat runes over an offensive option like Strength to be negligible in exchange for the sustain you get.

@Clownmug.8357 said:The build editor is showing ~221 hp per regen tick and 59 hp per battle scars strike for 280 hp total, where do the 300 and 400 numbers come from?

It was 290 + 66 for me in game, but that may have been with Objective and Borderlands buffs and I didn't realize, so my bad.

Still, Battle Scars procs per-strike not per-second, so it adds to the overall healing quite a bit.

@Shroud.2307 said:

@Clownmug.8357 said:The build editor is showing ~221 hp per regen tick and 59 hp per battle scars strike for 280 hp total, where do the 300 and 400 numbers come from?

It was 290 + 66 for me in game, but that may have been with Objective and Borderlands buffs and I didn't realize, so my bad.

Still, Battle Scars procs per-strike not per-second, so it adds to the overall healing quite a bit.

Ok, Unrelenting Assault is only going to get you 330 hp from 5x strikes in that case and I guess 580 hp regen over the 1.5 seconds.

Interesting build. A few notes/questions:

(1): Why not just go for nearly full Marauder and choose different food? I ask this because Marauder gear gives more stats overall. I've done the math myself, and wearing full marauder armor + trinkets with berserker weapons gives you 59.1% crit chance. Bloodlust boosts will bring this up to 60, which lets you crit cap with Rolling Mists. All you have to do is eat non-precision food, but there's plenty of that.

(2): Thrill of Combat gives Scars at a rate of 1 per second. Yes, you do get 5 stacks from a healing skill, but you can consider this as a 295 buff to the healing skill itself. For most intents and purposes, you can consider this to be 59 health per second.

I do wonder if Devastation is the best route to go with this. It has the damage traits, but for a self-regenerating build the contribution of Battle Scars is very low. To put it into perspective, running Salvation with Resilient Spirit and facets would give you 776 barrier every 3 seconds, or roughly 259 per second. Most of the other traits are garbage, except for Unyielding Devotion, which can be nigh permanent with 1 other change. If you're using upkeep skills a lot, Steadfast Rejuvenation recovers 42 health per pip. So, if you're using Impossible Odds, it will heal you for 250 health per second on top of everything else. The Retribution line has a bunch of other neat features, too.