Query about mastery points and mounts

Just recently got finished Path of Fire. Started on Living World Season 4 and am currently on the second chapter. I currently have the four main land mounts done to level 3 except for the Springer which is at level 4 (finished) and all of the Crystal Mastery completed. From what I can tell, the same type of mastery points will be needed for the Gryphon and the Skyscale. I currently have 23 spare mastery points available. First question: Do you have to acquire both Gryphon and Skyscale or can you choose to focus on only one? Second question: Is there enough points to max out the ground mounts AND the flying mounts or does one have to be strategic about how these points are spent? I would really be grateful for help regarding this matter as I currently have the level 4 skills of my ground mounts maxed out in terms of experience required to finish them, but am nervous about actually spending some of my points without knowing if there will be enough in the end for the flying mounts.

You don't have to acquire either griffons or skyscale, but both have their uses. Personally I'm a huge fan of the skyscale; it has been my default mount ever since I got it. Well, ever since I completed its masteries anyway (they make a big difference). I never really got that proficient with the griffon.You can try them for yourself by renting a mount, but be aware that you get a lesser experience that way because you don't have the masteries.There's more than enough mastery points to max out every single mastery in the game. I have spares in every category, although Icebrood MPs (latest story) are a little harder to come by.

You can choose to get the griffon or skyscale, or to get both. If you decide to get both you can get them in any order. The only mounts which are required to complete things are the raptor, springer and skimmer, the others are only necessary for a few specific achievement (mainly adventures).

There are more than enough mastery points to unlock everything in each category (although I think Icebrood Saga is currently very short on 'spare' points) so it's possible to have all the masteries trained and points left over. For most people however I think that translates to choosing which mastery points to get and which to skip because the requirements are more hassle than they're worth.

If you're expecting to get the griffon or skyscale quite soon it might be worth saving some points for their masteries so you can get them right away, but eventually you will be able to have everything unlocked.

@LucianDK.8615 said:Regarding Icebrood Saga. I am currently sitting on 7 spare mastery points. With two tracks left that requires 9 in total. I expect there will be more scenic mastery points in future DRMs to push it over the finish line.

Coincidentally, I also have 7 spare IBS MPs at the moment. However, I can see at least another 9 available ones, some of which I'm working on and will get quite soon.

@costepj.5120 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:Regarding Icebrood Saga. I am currently sitting on 7 spare mastery points. With two tracks left that requires 9 in total. I expect there will be more scenic mastery points in future DRMs to push it over the finish line.

Coincidentally, I also have 7 spare IBS MPs at the moment. However, I can see at least another 9 available ones, some of which I'm working on and will get quite soon.

Many of those I had left was of the more obnoxious ones such as the weapon collections. Or that mirror one. But I do not see a point in getting every of them. As I said, I feel confident about 2 more being easilly available.

@"Eraden.8740" said:Just recently got finished Path of Fire. Started on Living World Season 4 and am currently on the second chapter. I currently have the four main land mounts done to level 3 except for the Springer which is at level 4 (finished) and all of the Crystal Mastery completed. From what I can tell, the same type of mastery points will be needed for the Gryphon and the Skyscale. I currently have 23 spare mastery points available. First question: Do you have to acquire both Gryphon and Skyscale or can you choose to focus on only one? Second question: Is there enough points to max out the ground mounts AND the flying mounts or does one have to be strategic about how these points are spent? I would really be grateful for help regarding this matter as I currently have the level 4 skills of my ground mounts maxed out in terms of experience required to finish them, but am nervous about actually spending some of my points without knowing if there will be enough in the end for the flying mounts.

If you look here you will see that PoF are colour coded in purple and in Hero Panel you should be able to find which one that belong to the same group of Mastery achievements that reward you with Masty Points or Mastery Insights (map POI that you interact with).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks#Path_of_Fire_mastery_points

There is 130 possible PoF Mastery Points you can get, but you will not need all of these as some are from doing Fractals and other achievements that also rewards MP. It is possible to repeat Story mode to more MP and there are some MP that are meant for player that do more raids then open world PvE. Take a look in Hero Panel for achievement, story journal and for collection (another section in Hero Panel) that rewards you with MP. The link above to PoF MP should also help you to find out more about PoF MP from GW2 wiki. Don't forget that there is NPC where you convert one map currency into another map currency while doing Skyscale unlock and later upgrade its skills. Dragonfall is the main map for Skyscale and while you unlock you can also borrow mounts like Skyscale to fly (but when you leave Skyscale to Glide down to ground, you will have to get back to where you can borrow the same mount). In map where you get Griffon you can also borrow Griffon before you completely will unlock this mount.

As for Griffon vs Skyskale. In the map you will get Griffon you will probably find Griffon or Skyscale help you to access places without taking damage from Fury of the Brand effect. Skimmer and Springer work well until then to avoid the worse place as long you can stay under cover (preventing FoB effect) or stay floating above ground with Skimmer.

All mounts have their use later in game even in core Tyria and Icebrood Saga maps. From comments down in this thread it seem that some people are mixing up Icebrood Saga (IBS) mastery as those are blue colour coded (and you only get them from those maps). IBS are part of PoF package, so you need to have PoF to get access to Living World episodes that are called Icebrood Saga instead of LW5.

Griffion will cost 250 gold, skyscale as long As you have All the LWS season 4 isnt much, otherwise you need to buy every LWS 4 in order to get the skyscale. I have both on an account , and TBH i enjoyed doing the griffon story far more. Its cohesive it really feels like you are part of a great adventure. I wish more mounts had story arcs like that

I have both skyscale and griffon. I got the skyscale first.I never use the griffon. At all.

Tho to be fair some people love it and are really good at flying it. But the skyscale opened up the whole game for me, and I love it. I use it every day.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :)

I had a simmilar question a while back, this thread should help you decide:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/122787/griffon-or-skyscale/p1

I ended up going for the Skyscale. I had all the materieals as well, so it ended up cheaper than the Griffon. If you don't have charged quartz available - start charging now, it's once per day and you need a LOT of it. You can buy the stuff on TP but then it can actually cost more than the Griffon, depending on TP prices.

And i still don't have the Griffon... :tongue: I just didn't really bother after getting the Skyscale, it's that good! I'll get it for fun though, when i can spare the gold.

As for the Mastery points - there's more points available than needed, and you can master every mount fully.Some are easier to get than others, and some actually require flying mounts to get, but not a lot of them.

Don't neglect your Crystal Champion mastery track, it's SUPER helpful in getting the Skyscale.

Skyscale though - once you get it, it's really a Legendary mount. There's just so much you can do with it that it's hard to get for a reason.Griffon just costs gold, the collections aren't that hard, nor time gated.