Suggestion: Allow us to SKIP the story - [Merged]

Kyrios.8736

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Here’s what ANet has said

Jeffrey Vaughn.1793
There’s a bigger technical issue—during “in game” scenes, the NPCs are moving around and things are happening (gadgets might be activating, props may be animating, etc.) and if you just skipped all that, it could lead to some really bizarre behavior. Trying to manually set a “failsafe” to teleport the NPCs, fire off effects, etc. to replicate what the world state is if the cutscene plays is extremely tedious and error prone.That’s why the old style “dialogue cutscenes” (and the fancy but rare full blown l sequences, like the Order movies and racial intros) are skippable, because we aren’t doing anything to the world while the dialogue plays, so skipping it doesn’t have any effect. We’ve moved away from those, because the in-game scenes are a lot more satisfying, but there’s a trade off.

One source someone gave in an older thread.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/35901/so-still-no-way-to-skip-dialogs-and-cutscenes

Edit:

Managed to find the original source on the archive of the old forums.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-allow-us-to-skip-cut-scenes/page/1#post4604049

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Jeffrey Vaughn.1793
There’s a bigger technical issue—during “in game” scenes, the NPCs are moving around and things are happening (gadgets might be activating, props may be animating, etc.) and if you just skipped all that, it could lead to some really bizarre behavior. Trying to manually set a “failsafe” to teleport the NPCs, fire off effects, etc. to replicate what the world state is if the cutscene plays is extremely tedious and error prone.That’s why the old style “dialogue cutscenes” (and the fancy but rare full blown l sequences, like the Order movies and racial intros) are skippable, because we aren’t doing anything to the world while the dialogue plays, so skipping it doesn’t have any effect. We’ve moved away from those, because the in-game scenes are a lot more satisfying, but there’s a trade off.

Edit:

"fIrSt TiMe iM sEeInG aNyThInG Ab0uT iT..."
Proceeds to post source of multiple users pointing it out and a thread that has a collection of links with ppl pointing it out...

I was referring to your specific request about the Kormir scene. In none of the threads that I linked, is it mentioned.

Nice try, bud. But it's the same thing. This is just the worst example of it.

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

Jeffrey Vaughn.1793

Edit:

Proceeds to post source of multiple users pointing it out and a thread that has a collection of links with ppl pointing it out...

I was referring to your specific request about the Kormir scene. In none of the threads that I linked, is it mentioned.

It's not. I was responding to your specific request about the Kormir scene as your post made no indication of other scenes in the game. In a subsequent post, I even indicated that I was aware of other requests for other scenes. I stated that I had not seen this request about the Kormir scene before and this you try to dispute my claim about that based on two links that I provided which have no mention of that scene.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Jeffrey Vaughn.1793

Edit:

It's not. I was responding to your specific request about the Kormir scene as your post made no indication of other scenes in the game. In a subsequent post, I even indicated that I was aware of other requests for other scenes. I stated that I had not seen this request about the Kormir scene before and this you try to dispute my claim about that based on two links that I provided which have no mention of that scene.

Yes, we know this. However, the point and the entire subject remains the exact same. Skippable scenes. Whether it's this Kormir scene or not, it needs the option. As you have proven, many have pointed it out.

@Kyrios.8736 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:My only rebuke is.. maybe not play an RPG of you don't want a story?There's plenty of sandbox fantasy fighting games.Maybe WoW is more your lane if you want to fight without any story at all

I want the story, but in GW2 it is plain and simple, bad, with characters being worst aspect of the game. However as it's impossible to ask for better story at this point, it's possible to have the option to skip it. This game has a lot of positive traits which outweigh the negatives. It'd make the game even better if we were able to skip worst part of it altogether. *Forced exposure to cheesy dialogues with poorly made characters isn't exactly a good thing for a game, especially for an MMO.

but you can explore the entire map without the story..you can, quite literally, conquer orr, the far shiverpeaks, and all of elona, without ever so much as batting an eye to the inquest interfering with the snaff savant (or whatever lesser race's story you're playing)I mean, sure, you can't do storymode bosses.. but hey.. they're part of the story that you seem to want to skip.. so.. ?

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:Easy way to skip "unskippable" scenes:

• go to the bathroom
  • fix a snack
  • pet your dog/cat/bearded dragon/ferret
  • stand up to get feeling back in your lower half

I am usually playing some other game ...

@Pacificterror.7805 said:

• go to the bathroom
  • fix a snack

Best answer in the entire thread. Tons of games have similar issues with unskippable scenes, dialouge , etc. This is how I have always handled such things. Not a big deal unless you convince yourself it is. If small things like that get to you so much, maybe you have bigger problems than video games.

I'd normally agree but if this cut scene is legitimately 10+ minutes, that's beyond ridiculous.

My playtime for 1 session is regularly 1 hour give or take.....1/6th of that being occupied by 1 cut scene is horrible - especially when I care 0 about the story going on....I only do the story because stuff is gated behind it (which in itself is ridiculous but w/e I understand).

from my many playthroughs and doing some chat timestamp math it is more like 15 minutes

HOWEVER, it could have been MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH worse. Kormir walks around during this segment. Imagine if she stops talking each time she moves and requires you to walk closer to her and press F as each stop.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

from my many playthroughs and doing some chat timestamp math it is more like 15 minutes

HOWEVER, it could have been MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH worse. Kormir walks around during this segment. Imagine if she stops talking each time she moves and requires you to walk closer to her and press F as each stop.

1/4 of an hour wasted on 1 cut scene instead? How lovely....lol

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:There are some instances in the game that should be skippable, especially because of story achievement collecting. They went back and fixed that in some place with a mote. That solution has been more abandoned over time.

Along with common sense and significant bug fixes. I hope their absence of any work being done in the current game is all because of EoD. This filler season Icebrood Saga has literally been everything I said it would be BEFORE it came out. Just like Braham was... a complete waste of time and development.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

• go to the bathroom
  • fix a snack

• go to the bathroom
  • fix a snack

Best answer in the entire thread. Tons of games have similar issues with unskippable scenes, dialouge , etc. This is how I have always handled such things. Not a big deal unless you convince yourself it is. If small things like that get to you so much, maybe you have bigger problems than video games.

I'd normally agree but if this cut scene is legitimately 10+ minutes, that's beyond ridiculous.

My playtime for 1 session is regularly 1 hour give or take.....1/6th of that being occupied by 1 cut scene is horrible - especially when I care 0 about the story going on....I only do the story because stuff is gated behind it (which in itself is ridiculous but w/e I understand).

Don't get me started on that. I'm still trying to forget the mission with Tizlak.

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

• go to the bathroom
  • fix a snack

• go to the bathroom
  • fix a snack

Don't get me started on that. I'm still trying to forget the mission with Tizlak.

I was thinking of The Judge who has a shorter monologue but stops in the middle and requires you to F him to resume for no reason.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

• go to the bathroom
  • fix a snack

• go to the bathroom
  • fix a snack

stops in the middle and requires you to F him to resume for no reason.

Does...does he at least buy you dinner or something first?

@Pacificterror.7805 said:

• go to the bathroom
  • fix a snack

• go to the bathroom
  • fix a snack

stops in the middle and requires you to F him to resume for no reason.

Does...does he at least buy you dinner or something first?

He's a bit too excited when our character shows up. Gets lonely in the mists...

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:My only rebuke is.. maybe not play an RPG of you don't want a story?There's plenty of sandbox fantasy fighting games.Maybe WoW is more your lane if you want to fight without any story at all

I want the story, but in GW2 it is plain and simple, bad, with characters being worst aspect of the game. However as it's impossible to ask for better story at this point, it's possible to have the option to skip it. This game has a lot of positive traits which outweigh the negatives. It'd make the game even better if we were able to skip worst part of it altogether. *Forced exposure to cheesy dialogues with poorly made characters isn't exactly a good thing for a game, especially for an MMO.

but you can explore the entire map without the story..you can, quite literally, conquer orr, the far shiverpeaks, and all of elona, without ever so much as batting an eye to the inquest interfering with the snaff savant (or whatever lesser race's story you're playing)I mean, sure, you can't do storymode bosses.. but hey.. they're part of the story that you seem to want to skip.. so.. ?

You have to do the story in order to unlock a lot of maps and mastery points. It's impossible to play the game properly without those things. Story skip option isn't too much to ask for, really. A lot of games have it, and even this game had it at start.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

Yes, i do want to fight story bosses. I DO NOT want to listen to "witty banter" every time something happens. At least you could just skip inquests boasting as the snaff savant, but when you got humanized during the story, you eventually devolved so you can't remember how to do that anymore. An especially terrible fate for the once snaff savant, now just a hero.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:But mastery points and achievements are account wide, no? Once you've done the story, there's no essential need/requirement to do it again on another toon?

So far i can't enter PoF without listening to herald of balthazar go on about...whatever forgetable monologue it was. The fact that you can circumvent it with the teleport to friend things seems needlessly convoluted. Not to mention that you need to waste one of those things just for that.

other than teleport-to-friend items, if you have the lily of elon invitation (from the PoF deluxe) you can teleport to Crystal Oasis as soon as you finish the tutorial mission and reach level 2