Suggestion: Allow us to SKIP the story - [Merged]

Kyrios.8736

Yes, allow an option to remove the story please. But only after you finish the first playthrough - the story is what brought me to the game, and what kept me playing. If I had a skip option on my first time, I probably would not be as into this game or still playing at all. So yes to a skip option for instances already gone through. It is tedious and time consuming if just trying to unlock a map for another character (besides using scrolls/teleport items).

• Like 2

@robertthebard.8150 said:

@"Eraden.8740" said:As much as I FEAR these storylines, especially the big boss fights (I am arthritic and have Parkinson's so this is a major difficulty for me) I can't honestly say that we should be allowed to skip the storylines. These storylines are what the game is about! After each finished storyline, I sit back, once my hands stop hurting and shaking so much, and reflect back on what I had actually experienced in terms of the story. While none of these stories is likely to ever give "War and Peace" a run for it's money, they ARE interesting. In the end, do you really want to toss all this hard work that the developers have done, just to get to a few new juicy tidbits?

This is sunk cost fallacy. Just cuz Anet dumped resources into something that does not mean every player wants and have to play it. If the story is not interesting enough to stand on its own, without making mandatory to access other content, then why does it even exist? Chores?

In so far as expansions go, to get you to the maps? Yes, you can TTF, or get some scrolls, but some people just play what they have to, to get there. "But I don't like the stories" doesn't mean they don't serve a purpose, it just means you don't like them.

You entirely missed the point (and I do think some of the story is good, but none of the recent stuff). It is not a question of the story is good or bad. If you like you can play it. If you do not you should not have to. If I, or any player, wants to get to the new map(s) without having to spend mandatory 15-20 minutes shrugging through unskipable story dialogue, they should be able to do so.

@otto.5684 said:

@"Eraden.8740" said:As much as I FEAR these storylines, especially the big boss fights (I am arthritic and have Parkinson's so this is a major difficulty for me) I can't honestly say that we should be allowed to skip the storylines. These storylines are what the game is about! After each finished storyline, I sit back, once my hands stop hurting and shaking so much, and reflect back on what I had actually experienced in terms of the story. While none of these stories is likely to ever give "War and Peace" a run for it's money, they ARE interesting. In the end, do you really want to toss all this hard work that the developers have done, just to get to a few new juicy tidbits?

This is sunk cost fallacy. Just cuz Anet dumped resources into something that does not mean every player wants and have to play it. If the story is not interesting enough to stand on its own, without making mandatory to access other content, then why does it even exist? Chores?

In so far as expansions go, to get you to the maps? Yes, you can TTF, or get some scrolls, but some people just play what they have to, to get there. "But I don't like the stories" doesn't mean they don't serve a purpose, it just means you don't like them.

You entirely missed the point (and I do think some of the story is good, but none of the recent stuff). It is not a question of the story is good or bad. If you like you can play it. If you do not you should not have to. If I, or any player, wants to get to the new map(s) without having to spend mandatory 15-20 minutes shrugging through unskipable story dialogue, they should be able to do so.

No, I didn't miss the point. I simply responded to the "what purpose do they serve" question in the post I quoted. My first post in this thread should demonstrate that rather plainly.

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:Easy way to skip "unskippable" scenes:
  • go to the bathroom
  • fix a snack
  • pet your dog/cat/bearded dragon/ferret
  • stand up to get feeling back in your lower half

That's right. Nothing says quality game design like content that makes you want to do anything else but play it XD

Ironically, there's a thread in the Suggestions forum over at swtor right now that wants them to add a cutscene to every possible fast travel in the game. This, in a game where, on Alderaan, you can hit the taxi to the furthest out WP, walk your dog, walk yourself, wash your hands, make a sandwich and you might have landed by the time you get back to the computer.

The problem is, it's subjective whether the content is "bad" or not. Whether I agree about a way to skip it, if a stage is being set for the rest of whatever's going to happen, it becomes increasingly harder to skip. "Well, don't make things happen in cutscenes", while valid, is a little late, when it's already been made.

What's even more ironic is the sheer number of people that would tell you that they're watching Netflix, or YouTube, or whatever, while they game, as a matter of course, no matter what game it is. So I guess all games are just bad?

The skip or fast forward buttons will really help with the game especially at some annoying NPCs throughout story instances. In open world you could just go ahead of NPCs and clear their way if necessary but in instances the NPCs won't move unless you herd them like animals (sorry for the word VoiceOver workers) so they move it is very painful to look at what they say and very boring to know it so a instance speed (0x as default, 2x , 4x, 8x) with the exception of engaging (during combat) will be spectacular and helps people get quickly through the story if they already know and played it before. Of course it will use both CPU and GPU power ^^

What about those long laborious story missions like Victory or death that you can't quite finish as your brain shuts down to protect your sanity. Next day you take some Valium and boot it up to suffer some more only to find out you have to do the whole frigging thing over.Stuff of nightmares and we paid for it with real cash, hard to believe isn't it?

I only do the story missions to unlock content....so I'd be all for skipping dialogue or skipping the need to do story missions all together.

I recognize that I'm missing out on the lore, world immersion, etc etc....but that's not why I play GW2 and I honestly don't have the time I used to. I just want to get to the content I enjoy.

The only reason why I might think about the possibility of skipping a cutscene is that whenever one occurs in a storyline I have to keep slamming the jump button constantly or the damn game disconnects and then I lose all my progress. I love watching the cutscenes but I don't enjoy having to redo these boss fights multiple times over because of the disconnects.

I would love to have this option. Story was fun the first time but going through it all over again is the main reason why I am discouraged to play alts. Some of the story chapters drag on so much that I rather not play the game at all than doing it all over again.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2021 at 8:30 PM, Mickey.4207 said:

I would love to have this option. Story was fun the first time but going through it all over again is the main reason why I am discouraged to play alts. Some of the story chapters drag on so much that I rather not play the game at all than doing it all over again.

Very good point, current system works in a way that it even annoys people that like the story, not only ones that dislike it. Considering how many things you have to repeatedly do, a simple SKIP button would greatly improve overall experience with this game, and reduce time we have to waste watching useless cutscenes and listening to dialogues we heard 1001 times before.

On 5/11/2021 at 12:55 PM, frareanselm.1925 said:

I have 14 toons, and i know lot of alter-holic people. Its so bad to have the obligation to do the story 14 times to be in Hot maps with all my toons.

Once you have been to Verdant Brink on one toon you can use the Portal from the Silverwastes, which can be accessed from Brisban.

You don't need to do the story at all to access VB after having done it the first time.

I used to run levelling alts to VB all the time to grab the communes there for quick hero points.