Top 5 zones players get lost in.

The main two I can think of are Tangled Depths and Draconis Mons. I've heard of people complain about Dry Top, too, but never had an issue with it.

Luckily between map comp, mounts, and making the Henge I no longer have issues with finding my way around TD or DM, but until things clicked it was slow and brutal.

As far as exploration challenges (i.e. "getting lost all the time") go, ANet delivers! These are my top three:

1. Tangled Depths
  2. Draconis Mons
  3. Verdant Brink

Tangled Depths is an exploration masterpiece (or nightmare, depending upon your perspective!). As the name implies, it's a map full of twisting caverns and it's almost certain you've never seen anything like it before! You will get lost. You may even stay lost!

Draconis Mons is another map of cave systems (the inside of a gigantic volcano, in fact!), which provide plenty of opportunities for the designers to challenge explorers!

Verdant Brink takes a different approach, featuring yawning canyons, tall plateaus, and a wild canopy of massive vines stretching into the sky!

1.Tangled Depths - especially for map exploring and looking for those elusive poi in strange and remote locations underwater!

1. Draconis Mons - you can eventually get used to it if you're there every day for a time gated back item but good god it was hard to read the mini map to navigate those layers!

I might mention Auric Basin and Verdant Brink too.But if you meant maps that you can forget yourself and the world in, just exploring happily?Then hands down Lornar's Pass. Just love those mountains.

1. Tangled Depths
  2. Tangled Depths
  3. Tangled Depths
  4. Tangled Depths
  5. Tangled Depths

If the mini map/map in general was better at handling multiple layers, I'd call that map an absolute masterpiece. As it is, I've no idea where I'm at.It's genuinely impressive what they've all put into that map though.

I could do like post above, but I will simplify as I need only two slots:

1. Tangle Depths
  2. Draconis Mons

Apart from the fact that Tangle Depths is a maze with several levels, I hate that for most of it, it's in dark tunnels and that for most of the zones, there are foes everywhere, so that taking a breath for a few seconds is rarely possible. This area was probably a precursor to what PoF areas are... :p

@Zephire.8049 said:The main two I can think of are Tangled Depths and Draconis Mons. I've heard of people complain about Dry Top, too, but never had an issue with it.

Luckily between map comp, mounts, and making the Henge I no longer have issues with finding my way around TD or DM, but until things clicked it was slow and brutal.

It is hard to get lost in Draconis Mons. It is very linear. Just in a shape of a corkscrew.

One of the problem of Dry Top is that to get to the second half of the zone without mounts, you have to find a very obscure door that leads to the basement. The map itself isn't hard to navigate but if you can't find that basement, you are stuck searching the entire area for second half of the map.

I have no sense of direction and it's even worse in games (I'm told it's a symptom of dyslexia, but I don't see how it's related) so I can get lost pretty much anywhere. I can genuinely decide where I'm going, spend a minute looking at the Hero panel and then head off in the wrong direction because standing still looking at something else was enough to get me turned around. It's a good thing I like exploring!

Weirdly having said that I didn't find Tangled Depths much different to normal maps, maybe because I mainly navigate by landmarks and remembering paths I've been down before rather than following the map (although I like having the mini map too, to keep me pointed in the right direction) and that seems to be how it works.

I think Verdant Brink is the one I found hardest, because the different levels are largely separate but then there's only certain places where you can easily get from one to the other (especially without mounts) and some bits cross between levels so that throws me off. I can also never remember how to get onto the Orrian mainland in Straits of Devestation if the gate is sealed. I end up going all around the coast trying to find openings I know are there but can never remember the location of. Or all the way around to the north, but that's annoying if I'm trying to get to the Temple of Balthazar or something.

Love all the Tangled Depths posts! :tongue:

I'd go as far as to say the entire HoT is confusing and perfect for getting lost, but Tangled Depths is the mother of them all!That map is as impressive as it is convoluted and horrible. :sweat_smile:

Other offenders in no particular order:

• Draconis Mons
  • Dry Top
  • Rata Sum
  • The Grove
  • Any city really, but some have easy to access utilites while others do not

There's some others but yeah... Tangled Depths is king!

I've got one PoI that I can't seem to find in Dry Top. It's the one in/around the jumping puzzle, and I've never been able to get it.The Grove.Rata Sum.Tangled Depths.My apartment... There's a running joke with me and MMOs, and a lot of people know "don't follow Rob, because he can get lost in his own apartment, and he's been living there for 16 years". Someone started calling me "Wrong Way Rob"...

The last POI is very likely the one below the jumping puzzle. You have to descend a long way, then head in the direction of the POI. There's one of the skritt tunnels nearby which you can use to return.I can understand the sentiment around Tangled Depths and also the Twilight Oasis fractal that was mentioned. But Rata Sum? Really?

@"costepj.5120" said:The last POI is very likely the one below the jumping puzzle. You have to descend a long way, then head in the direction of the POI. There's one of the skritt tunnels nearby which you can use to return.I can understand the sentiment around Tangled Depths and also the Twilight Oasis fractal that was mentioned. But Rata Sum? Really?

Yeah, I just keep "missing" it. Haven't been back for months, might give it a shot again later today, depending.

@Danikat.8537 said:I have no sense of direction and it's even worse in games (I'm told it's a symptom of dyslexia, but I don't see how it's related) so I can get lost pretty much anywhere. I can genuinely decide where I'm going, spend a minute looking at the Hero panel and then head off in the wrong direction because standing still looking at something else was enough to get me turned around. It's a good thing I like exploring!

Weirdly having said that I didn't find Tangled Depths much different to normal maps, maybe because I mainly navigate by landmarks and remembering paths I've been down before rather than following the map (although I like having the mini map too, to keep me pointed in the right direction) and that seems to be how it works.

I think Verdant Brink is the one I found hardest, because the different levels are largely separate but then there's only certain places where you can easily get from one to the other (especially without mounts) and some bits cross between levels so that throws me off. I can also never remember how to get onto the Orrian mainland in Straits of Devestation if the gate is sealed. I end up going all around the coast trying to find openings I know are there but can never remember the location of. Or all the way around to the north, but that's annoying if I'm trying to get to the Temple of Balthazar or something.

I am dyslexic with no sense of direction IRL. In fact I'm known among my friends as having an uncanny ability to always want to go the opposite of the correct way when left to my own sense of how to get somewhere in unfamiliar areas.

I relate to everything in this post. Especially the habit of navigating by landmarks. That's been my strategy IRL for years now.

Tangled. Depths. It's a beautiful map, and I actually love how confusing and complex it is - but I still get hopelessly turned around thirty seconds after walking into the labyrinth of chak tunnels. I once managed to run into the Chak Gerent meta by sheer accident, joined in the final boss fight, and promptly got lost again afterwards.

Draconis Mons is another one. I genuinely can't tell where anything is on that map. Unlike Tangled Depths, I really hate this place...the over-saturated, eye-searing colors drenching the scenery doesn't help.I used to get lost in the Grove all the time until something just...clicked...and now I can easily navigate my way around. Probably because I have quite a few sylvari characters, and have spent a lot of time doing map completion there.