How many of you use VPN because of DDos

TheBigPlay.7504

@TheBigPlay.7504 said:I think I just got ddos in pvp ranked. My team had a 50 point lead and we were about to win the match. And I suddenly got disconnected from the game. I checked my internet connection and it was ok. So, how many of you are using VPN to avoid getting ddos by a hacker?

Yeah, I get it often in ranked as well. I never DC in fractals, nor in wvw, nor in unranked, nor standing around doing any other activity. But in ranked and ATs, yeah I get DCs often when I am winning hard matches against certain players. It is rather obvious that there is some method for forcing players to DC, especially seeing as how it always happens when you are in the lead and never happens when you are on a losing team. Quite mysterious.

I have often thought about looking into VPN. However, I learned about the difference between DDOS and Drop Hacks. Drop Hacks have nothing to do with your IP#. I'm not going to write a text wall thesis on it here, but go run a browser search on the difference between DDOS and Drop Hacks. You'll see what I mean. So it's hard to tell exactly how they're doing it.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:How would someone get a random person’s IP off the game?

Logging into things like Discord is pretty much a public broadcast of your IP#. All it takes is 1 person to go out of their way and track player IP#s and then let friend's know those IP#s within the community of a game. But again, it may not be a DDOS at all, just some other method of forcing DCs or what is technically a game crash not an actual DC.

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:How would someone get a random person’s IP off the game?

Logging into things like Discord is pretty much a public broadcast of your IP#. All it takes is 1 person to go out of their way and track player IP#s and then let friend's know those IP#s within the community of a game. But again, it may not be a DDOS at all, just some other method of forcing DCs or what is technically a game crash not an actual DC.

That’s incorrect.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

That’s

Oh yes you can. Run a bit deeper of a search there. I'd post a link myself but I'd probably get warn points for it.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

That’s

Oh yes you can. Run a bit deeper of a search there. I'd post a link myself but I'd probably get warn points for it.

I knew my internet was fine. That proves it then. PPl are dcing other players in ranked.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

That’s

I have. The major reason that people gave their IP address away was from clicking a bad link.

Despite all this, not everyone uses Discord or other GW2 related websites so this really is nothing more than tinfoil assumptions. You're essentially assuming that a random player in a random PvP match somehow got your IP from some source outside of the game who just happened to decide to DDoS during the match? Okay...

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

That’s

I have. The major reason that people gave their IP address away was from clicking a bad link.

Despite all this, not everyone uses Discord or other GW2 related websites so this really is nothing more than tinfoil assumptions. You're essentially assuming that a random player in a random PvP match somehow got your IP from some source outside of the game who just happened to decide to DDoS during the match? Okay...

I said "logging into things like discord" not just discord. Of course everyone uses several different types of game related apps and watches forums, ect ect.

And on the contrary, you are the one wearing the tinfoil hat if you think DDOSing and drop hacking is happening on every other game EXCEPT GW2.

I seriously do not understand why there are people who actually take the time to argue and attempt to help hide things that are happening in plain obvious sight that everyone can already see. I wonder if it's some kind of agenda linked to companies or money, or if they themselves really want to believe everything is clean and fair. I mean who are you trying to convince here, me or yourself?

At any rate, I guess the time was well invested to discuss this with me seeing as how nothing you can say will ever convince me or anyone else who has experienced similar obvious DC patterns, that DDOSing or drop hacking is happening in other games but mysteriously not in GW2.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

That’s

I said "logging into things like discord" not just discord. Of course everyone uses several different types of game related apps and watches forums, ect ect.

Hence the “from some source outside of the game”.

And on the contrary, you are the one wearing the tinfoil hat if you think DDOSing and drop hacking is happening on every other game EXCEPT GW2.

Tinfoil hat references conspiracy theories based on little to no evidence. Nothing has been provided other than a random DC in a match.

Just an FYI, there’s a difference between saying that DDoSing doesn’t happen in GW2 and the OP’s case being unlikely. Please don’t twist what I said.

I seriously do not understand why there are people who actually take the time to argue and attempt to help hide things that are happening in plain obvious sight that everyone can already see. I wonder if it's some kind of agenda linked to companies or money, or if they themselves really want to believe everything is clean and fair. I mean who are you trying to convince here, me or yourself?

You seriously believe that a random DC, in a random PvP match, is caused by some other random player on the opposing team who somehow got a bunch of IP addresses of GW2 players somewhere and just happened to be on the opposing team of one? Yeah... okay...

@TheBigPlay.7504 said:I just want to know if people should be using VPN because of ddos is real.You might get your account flagged as suspicious or outright banned for using some VPNs that are public, since allot of lets say bad people use them to cheat and Arenanet flags the IP.So if you are using VPN you have to be certain that is not a shitty VPN service.Also VPN will not help you with drop hacks.

Nobody is ddosing you. If that were happening your whole internet connection would be inoperable.

They would need your ip, which is not exposed by discord or by gw2.

Also many consumer internet connections have dynamic ips, so your ip is not even relevant soon after this mysterious ddoser gets it.

More reasonable theories:1) you are on wifi and your router is bad2) you are on ethernet and your modem is bad3) isp is bad4) gw2 randomly bugs out and dcs you5) your computer hardware is bad

@Ryan.9387 said:Nobody is ddosing you. If that were happening your whole internet connection would be inoperable.

They would need your ip, which is not exposed by discord or by gw2.

Also many consumer internet connections have dynamic ips, so your ip is not even relevant soon after this mysterious ddoser gets it.

More reasonable theories:1) you are on wifi and your router is bad2) you are on ethernet and your modem is bad3) isp is bad4) gw2 randomly bugs out and dcs you5) your computer hardware is bad

1. I recently changed to a new modem.
  2. I dont use wifi
  3. isp is good
  4. Gw2 randomly bugs out, maybe I'm not so sure about this one.
  5. My PC is brand new. so I doubt it.

My best tinfoil hat theory is:

When you are winning against players you should not win against, the rating system bots smites your connection so it stays right about its victor predictions.

Maybe we only focus on the DC when we believe we would have won, and when we DC on a sure loss it just fades from memory as part of the deal.

Guess it depends on how PvP matches are handled in GW2 networking-wise....Is it a peer to peer connection (alot of online games UNFORTUNATELY do this) - or is the match being hosted entirely on a GW2 server? A lot of game companies use peer to peer to minimize the resources used on their end.

It's pretty easy to obtain someone's IP if you have a direct connection with them - and then in turn use it to flood them with enough packets to disconnect them from a match. The catch is you'll obviously need to know the IP addresses of the people on YOUR team, so you aren't accidentally hitting them.

If you're finding this is a frequent occurrence, I recommend downloading something like Wireshark and have it run in the background so that you can monitor what's going on on your network. If you find yourself getting disconnected from a match and Wireshark shows a sudden spike in network congestion, that will show you that someone is possibly attacking your network to slow your connection down enough to hit you offline. It may also show other problems (packets sent or received in the wrong order, stuff like that) that could help you troubleshoot network disconnects further.