Season 9 Queue Changes

Much better that you should ban duo queue for everyone. Duo pleases a small number, but it gives a significant advantage by it's very nature. So a few are pleased at the expense of others. I do appreciate that this may reduce the matchmaker reaching into the lower ranks to provide players for the "legendaries."

Most new players will be solo. So, duo queue is likely to discourage any new incoming players by setting them against people with a team edge.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@zoomborg.9462 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:To all those complaining that top legendary players will leave if they can't queue with their friends:How many platinum players had to leave and got sick of pvp by being in the same match as a duo Legendary? (opposing side)Due to the low number of players at top tiers, the matchmaker has a hard time finding good matches for a duo of Legendary players, meaning it puts them against players of much lower skill. I guess they like stomping platinum players or something, yes that's so good "training".

It's a good change

U said it yourself that the matchmaker is the problem here, not the Leg players. I see no reason why they should take the blame and get pushed in such a position. This is the definition of screwing a targeted playerbase (however small) to put a band-aid on the broken ranked PvP state. I'd rather have PvP die out than watch something as obnoxious as this get implemented.

"Hi! U reached legendary,congratulations, now go play alone.." It's a joke.

The matchmaker isn't the problem, the lack of enough people at higher tiers is. When 2 legends queue together it's much harder for the matchmaker to find good opponents and no amount of coding or magic can help with this. At least if they queue solo they will face each other, or one of them facing upper platinum players would lead to a more interesting match.

Perhaps the better solution (if it's possible) would be to make duo queue possible after a certain threshold of queuing players is reached, so if there are lots of players playing pvp, duo queue is available, when there are fewer of them playing, then no duo queue is allowed (for higher tiers always). That way, if you want to play with your friend, you will have to play during prime time when the majority of pvp players are online and playing, and when there is a lack of players, then duo queue would be disabled.

I don't know if it's possible for Anet to check the queue health and react accordingly though. It might take some magic coding to implement it.

That actually sounds promising. Yet still, legendary players might always grab a handful of lads on discord and queue up at the same time without duoq. It appears that this problem cannot be easily solved, if taken care of at all. The only thing that would help to counter this issue, would be to get serious with player reports and start looking into them more.But there is one question, can they duo up with other divisions? Because if they can duo up with anyone else than legednary div, then that just misses the point of the whole change. Why? Smurf accounts.

I'm not a huge PvPer but.... couple of things:

For everyone complaining about not having 5 man ques, don't they have 5 man tournies?

Also, while I can't relate to the top end players in the game, I could imagine they may not care so much about legendary. Maybe they'll hit it, then start tanking to platinum so they can due que. That could be an easy way around this.

@zoomborg.9462 said:

@Abelisk.4527 said:You're assuming legendary players will drop PvP from this change. And what if they don't?

I'd also like to add that many legendary players are decent players. When they duo together, they can land in a game far below their rating, and completely carry their teams. Now imagine only one legendary placed down there, the odds are more equal now. Let's go even further--let's see player A and B are legendary. Normally A and B would be on one team while the other team is all gold-plat. With this change the MMR may make it so player A is on one team and B is on the other team, forcing them against each other and making it equal.

How would this affect the majority negatively at all? This is completely the opposite in effect.

It is actively handicapping top players in order to fix matchmaking issues. The top players arent the root of this problem, the overall low population is. It's like saying "i have a sick dog, the medication is so costly that euthanizing it is the solution". That's what is being illustrated right here. Yes mm will probably be more balanced but it is hands down a wrong way to fix it, on principle.
I never, EVER, played a competitive game where u get handicapped or isolated for playing good
so from some1 with experience in competitive games this is a very cheap way to fix a problem with deeper roots. U are seeing this only in the short term, while the bigger picture is, this is anet grasping at last straws to keep ranked PvP alive.Not healthy but alive.

But League of Legends Challenger players cant duo either...

This post clearly states that anet has absolutely no clue what is going on in legendary pvp:

Everyone i know even the slightest, has a 2nd account, which they use to preserve their main acc rating when soloq or to incidentally or mischieveously drop other peoples rating. There is no sweet-talking!

The only thing you do by denying lege players to duoq, is that they now have even less chance of defending themselves against qsnipes, afkbots and all the beatuties: No, now they also have to face duoq plat altaccounts while beeing solo.

And to the forum"experts" that think they might get to lege because they would beat any real lege player if they have to solo. Not really, it only makes it harder to stay in lege, because of the new ruleset, but they will still steamroll you when they get bombed back to plat. and plat+ lege is the same mmr range, sadly. The only way for you into lege is, by making all good people quit and this change, will surely help, so good job, have fun!

To Anet: Do not go through with this change, unless you want to sell more 2nd accounts (Oh wait, everyone already has one and most get them from friends that quit gw2 anyways, so not the way to go).

Downgrading this soloq to plat, you might at least be honest and remove duoq from all leagues!

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Abelisk.4527 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:I remember when people actually asked to join teams in chat or LFG to PvP with. Cause now its just an empty map chat with nothing but crickets chirping cause everyone just plays alone anyways.

Screw friends right? I love playing alone. I've never seen a game in my life that literally bars you from playing with your friends. What the kitten kinda decision making is this? Who comes up with this kitten?

Why not just get rid of parties altogether? Screw squads too right? Why not make WvW solo only, raid in PvE alone?

Why is it only PvP that's being punished?

The issue is the population is too low to separate duo/solo queue, or team/solo queues. Too much MMR variability.

Also, why not make friends with people
while
solo queuing? It's not like you're playing with 4 bots (possible but very unlikely). Or why not voice chat while solo queuing with people? Is it really that big of a detriment to lose 1 person while queuing? Or, if you're solo queuing you can stream (which a lot of people do) and feel connected with people.

I don't understand this argument.

If anything, duo queuing feels awkward sometimes because it's just you and your friend/duo, and if the duo is new or someone you just started duoing with it'll take time to break the ice, if ever.

My problem is not that I have trouble making friends. Its that I can't play with them. Anet is forcing us to play alone? How is that any fun? The whole point of an online game is to be with other people.

If Anet made WvW duo parties only, and if u were in a t1 server, you couldn't be in a party at all, people would complain.If Anet made raids solo only, people would complain.But when Anet makes PvP duo/solo only, all of a sudden we're wrong for wanting to play with our friends...

I don't understand your argument behind Anet banning people from playing with their friends in a gamemode that is supposed to
ENCOURAGE TEAMS

This has been chewed to near death with the introduction of duo queue already, and I don't know why you feel you have to bring it up again.

The issue is not to discourage players from playing together, but to offer a better environment. The population simply isn't big enough to allow premades into ranked, back when you could, it barely ever guaranteed good games because you would never meet another premade or the skill difference of the premades was too big. This means that you need a separate ranked queue for premades which this game just simply cannot afford with its playerbase in pvp right now. it has absolutely nothing to do with other game modes either.

So instead they offer you a slightly different premade ranked queue, by restricting queue times to 3 times a day. I think it is a marvellous solution to the problem and I commend anet for it. The same way I commend them to introducing soloq only to legend ranks, something honest legend players have asked for on numerous occasions now. It is a good first step. I do agree with extending it into platinum, but they already said they will be monitoring the effects, ready to up or down the barrier.

@Aktium.9506 said:Remove duo queue from Ranked completely.

Add more reminders to people that Automated Tournaments exist. Maybe even a tutorial.

that will really send the game to its death even more faster . the last time anet did that little trick the player base got super kitten off over it and stopped logging into the game . every time they did it . they do it again the same thing will be repeated . bad enough anet killed pvp and wvw just most are too blind to see it. when pvp and wvw is killed off by these new changes well you can thank anet for that one . 2012-2017

@Abelisk.4527 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:I remember when people actually asked to join teams in chat or LFG to PvP with. Cause now its just an empty map chat with nothing but crickets chirping cause everyone just plays alone anyways.

Screw friends right? I love playing alone. I've never seen a game in my life that literally bars you from playing with your friends. What the kitten kinda decision making is this? Who comes up with this kitten?

Why not just get rid of parties altogether? Screw squads too right? Why not make WvW solo only, raid in PvE alone?

The issue is the population is too low to separate duo/solo queue, or team/solo queues. Too much MMR variability.

while
solo queuing? It's not like you're playing with 4 bots (possible but very unlikely). Or why not voice chat while solo queuing with people? Is it really that big of a detriment to lose 1 person while queuing? Or, if you're solo queuing you can stream (which a lot of people do) and feel connected with people.

If anything, duo queuing feels awkward sometimes because it's just you and your friend/duo, and if the duo is new or someone you just started duoing with it'll take time to break the ice, if ever.

when they got rid of 5man qing in ranked, that was the day gw2 pvp died. The low population argument is very weak imo. The population would increase again if 5man ranked was back.

-ferox

@Spurnshadow.3678 said:I'm not a huge PvPer but.... couple of things:

For everyone complaining about not having 5 man ques, don't they have 5 man tournies?

Also, while I can't relate to the top end players in the game, I could imagine they may not care so much about legendary. Maybe they'll hit it, then start tanking to platinum so they can due que. That could be an easy way around this.

Yeah but its at set times. And most of those times don't work for me and friends.. sooo i literally can't play in a competitive environment most days with my buddies.

If they changed how ATs worked, such as, having Q system like ranked, but available at anytime .. then i would be ok with ranked solo Q and have ATs be a Q'd tourney that starts when 8 teams joined or something...-ferox

@Pvt Frosty.6973 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Abelisk.4527 said:

while

My problem is not that I have trouble making friends. Its that I can't play with them. Anet is forcing us to play alone? How is that any fun? The whole point of an online game is to be with other people.

If Anet made WvW duo parties only, and if u were in a t1 server, you couldn't be in a party at all, people would complain.If Anet made raids solo only, people would complain.But when Anet makes PvP duo/solo only, all of a sudden we're wrong for wanting to play with our friends...

I don't understand your argument behind Anet banning people from playing with their friends in a gamemode that is supposed to
ENCOURAGE TEAMS

This has been chewed to near death with the introduction of duo queue already, and I don't know why you feel you have to bring it up again.

The issue is not to discourage players from playing together, but to offer a better environment. The population simply isn't big enough to allow premades into ranked, back when you could, it barely ever guaranteed good games because you would never meet another premade or the skill difference of the premades was too big. This means that you need a separate ranked queue for premades which this game just simply cannot afford with its playerbase in pvp right now. it has absolutely nothing to do with other game modes either.

So instead they offer you a slightly different premade ranked queue, by restricting queue times to 3 times a day. I think it is a marvellous solution to the problem and I commend anet for it. The same way I commend them to introducing soloq only to legend ranks, something honest legend players have asked for on numerous occasions now. It is a good first step. I do agree with extending it into platinum, but they already said they will be monitoring the effects, ready to up or down the barrier.

What.. better environment or diminishing population, pick 1. Look around at the other successful competitive ranked modes in other games such as CSGO, OW, etc.. they all have max-party Q'ing.

The 3 Times are spread out and usually very inconvenient if you work, or have school.-ferox

@Spurnshadow.3678 said:For everyone complaining about not having 5 man ques, don't they have 5 man tournies?ATs run 3 times a day at 8 hours apart. So if you or your group of friends have a job or a life, you'll only MAYBE be able to queue for one; good luck finding 4 others who can all be online anywhere in an 8hour window. So now assuming that you actually have a true team online to queue, you'll only get 1 or 2 quality matches (first round is usually a PuG stomp). Then your team is done for the night. The current AT system is a terrible implementation.

We did the solo queue experiment years ago. Solo queue failed. Why repeat that? There's no reason to not move ranked back to a 1-5 queue as the only option. Allowing players to queue with multiple friends in ranked at any time of the day would do little to affect match quality. But it would improve population. The leaderboards are already a joke; having the top of it be strong team players would actually lend it more credence.

Oh, and if you're not anywhere near a top player, good luck being able to PvP with friends. You get to deal with whatever pile of random players (typically one of them being a toxic kitten) for a while. And you're not getting very far in an AT either, so why bother with ATs other constraints.

@masskillerxploit.2165 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Abelisk.4527 said:

while

ENCOURAGE TEAMS

What.. better environment or diminishing population, pick 1. Look around at the other successful competitive ranked modes in other games such as CSGO, OW, etc.. they all have max-party Q'ing.

The 3 Times are spread out and usually very inconvenient if you work, or have school.-ferox

Those games are only popular because that is the main selling point of those games, and they are all balanced and updated around PVP content. Large dev teams allow for fast balance updates, which is why players in those games stay much longer than in a MMO's PVP mode.

GW2 is much slower at this, which is why people started to leave.

The old ranked has been split into ATs. What needs to happen is to make ATs much more interesting and accessible. A shiny, monthly potion isn't enough incentive for some players, evidently, and the current gold amounts are in a good spot because anything higher is a bit too much.

We need incentive for PVEers and WVWers, not just other PVPers because we all know how concentrated the PVP playerbase is.

Perhaps we could add Karma to AT rewards. Selectable rewards? Maybe add unique, flashy ascended skins every several seasons, but WVW would need similar treatment.

Perhaps include a weekly Black Lion Key if winning an AT? And one in WVW too (three keys in all three game modes). Or maybe just include keys for participating in ATs instead of winning them. Lower chance of getting a key if you lose but 100% if you win an AT--again this is weekly.

I'd imagine a 'ready up' queue system for ATs would be an awesome thing. Every two hours maybe? Consider most PVE metas rotate off a 2 hour basis. Or maybe make it like Silverwastes where after the previous AT finished, include a short break, followed by an AT queue.

AT should be the new Ranked, being readily accessible to anyone.

On that note it would be awesome if one was able to spectate an AT tournament. Think hotjoin but with up to 100 players for spectating (maybe more?) It would allow for newbies and casuals to get a sense of rotating, how to play etc. No more reliance on obscure Youtube videos that have been outdated or soon will be. Many PVEers don't know the big PVP player names, so how does one expect them to learn off of that?

@Malandain.9532 said:And to the forum"experts" that think they might get to lege because they would beat any real lege player if they have to solo. Not really, it only makes it harder to stay in lege, because of the new ruleset, but they will still steamroll you when they get bombed back to plat. and plat+ lege is the same mmr range, sadly. The only way for you into lege is, by making all good people quit and this change, will surely help, so good job, have fun!

I am really looking to see this. Are the top players so good or are they just carried by duo queue? I know lot of the top players are duo queuing late in the night or early in morning to avoid other leg players and hunt the ranking. Those sure won't be at the top anymore. Those who deserve to be there will be there and those taking only advantege of the duo queue won't have it that easy. It's fair deal

Archived