Almost 8 months since EoD trailer. When is the next teaser/reveal?

@Doggie.3184 said: Anet also clearly want to compete with FFXIV with how much they been copying them lately with boss mechanics and they can't do that without finally flooding the game with awesome looking armor skins. So it'd be expansion suicide to not add all the awesome Canthan armor styles so I'm positive they aren't aiming to disappoint this time because I assume they still love us Canthan GW1 players and love our money. ?

They're already celebrating their style direction change by preemptivly adding the basic Seitung assassin armor set as an outfit, but Xpan will be all armor skins, ofc. Because they want this expansion to be as much of an impressive game changing masterpiece to GW2 as they can, like Shadowbringers was to FFXIV.

That would be a very difficult challenge. FFXIV has near endless resources and a massive development team that pumps content extremely fast and pretty nicely done, polished to a fault. Of course that's due to XIV lack of customization, rigid structure, non-changing mechanics, etc. XIV is like a solid polished steel plate. Where GW2 is more like a maleable ceramic piece. They cannot and i hope they don't replicate anything from XIV because it would just crush GW2 under it's weight, and to compete against it would be naive at least. Unless NCsoft suddenly cancels all their other projects and pumps those resources to Anet and contracts another 500 programers, designers, etc. There is no way this is even viable.

GW2 engine is flexible, and the game itself is very flexible, that is it's strenght and main selling point. An horizontal very emergent experience. Unlike XIV where everything is linear, vertical and scripted.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Grand Marshal.4098 said:Only reason the first trailer was released so early was because Anet saw that GW2 didn't make enough money and used the expac tactic to keep us hooked until then so we can all buy the gemstore stuff released until EoD.

I'd say don't expect anything but a small teaser for the prelude of the expac by the end of the abomination known as Champions.

This is not correct (or rather sarcastic). After the lay offs and ncsoft taking more control, the office announced focusing on living world and no plans for expansions. This was not received well. Normally they do not announce and trade so early in development. Specially cause it binds them too much to a specific path once you announce it (people still talk about Utopia!!), but given the earlier announcement they had to rectify it. The only way to rectify an announcement that there is no plan on an expansion is by announcing it.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Doggie.3184 said:Thief will finally return to it's Assassin style rootsUnless Arenanet disables Stealth (and replaces it with an actual defense that is not related to running away) via the first minor trait, I'd rather not have Arenanet use Assassin's good name for a new Elite Specialization.GW1's Assassin was great because it didn't have Stealth.

But I'd rather have Arenanet introduce a support spec for Thief instead of another DPS specialization.It might actually be a very good idea for a thief espec - dropping stealth completeky in exchange for some other type of mechanic.

@"Fueki.4753" said:But I'd rather have Arenanet introduce a support spec for Thief instead of another DPS specialization.

a support spec that can rival the current meta offerings will never fully work with thief unless they rework the other trait lines. thief as it is now, is very selfish when it comes to "supporting".

boon thief exists but is mostly confined (and only viable) to certain bosses. everything else it can do, other specs/classes can do much much better and then some more.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Doggie.3184" said:Thief will finally return to it's Assassin style rootsUnless Arenanet disables Stealth (and replaces it with an actual defense that is not related to running away) via the first minor trait, I'd rather not have Arenanet use Assassin's good name for a new Elite Specialization.GW1's Assassin was great because it didn't have Stealth.

But I'd rather have Arenanet introduce a support spec for Thief instead of another DPS specialization.It might actually be a very good idea for a thief espec - dropping stealth completeky in exchange for some other type of mechanic.

Well I did suggest a Tank themed spec a long time ago (Arsonist) that replaced all sources of stealth with a version of GW1's "Shadow Form" done via covering yourself with defensive black flames, borrowing concepts from Guardian, and used Torch (Dual Torch for something really new/unique).Jus' cause Assassins didn't use stealth (and I've always been against it and don't even use it currently with my DD build) and had some powerful tank builds for soloing bosses in GW1: I always found it ironic they became the squishiest prof in GW2.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@"Doggie.3184" said:but the Cantha xpan is going to be much bigger overall because Cantha.

buddy theres no evidence toward this,i dont have nothing against being optimistic, but be careful to dont setup yourself to be disappointed.

All the "North to Vabbi!" memes died immediately when we finally got there and saw half the map wasn't even finished

@"Astyrah.4015" said:a support spec that can rival the current meta offerings will never fully work with thief unless they rework the other trait lines. thief as it is now, is very selfish when it comes to "supporting".boon thief exists but is mostly confined (and only viable) to certain bosses. everything else it can do, other specs/classes can do much much better and then some more.

I'd very much welcome a Shadow Arts rework that changes it from Stealth-hogging to a Core support trait line that'd harmonize with a new support elite specialization.

Too be honest, for someone whose finished the legendary armor and has never nor am I Interested in playing that adventure game event, I’m out of other options of things to do or be hyped about for the game. So I mostly make an appearance for the dailies and log back out. I wish they didn’t space out these chapters and the poor/lack of communication especially for EoD I feel is hurting the game.

It’s one thing to “know” and to have seen 3-4 concept arts in the past but they should continue the hype and tease us with a couple more things...

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@"Doggie.3184" said:I'm looking forward to seeing the
tons
of new Armor sets that look just like the GW1 Assassin armor from Cantha without any unnessary addons/alterations like stapled on buttcapes. It's basically a "100% must happen" type of thing that will make or break the game so I'm positive there'll be tons of awesome skin-tight Thief skins to bring back that "gotta go fast" look of GW1 Assassins. So excited to finally get this after 3145 days of waiting, not including the future days wait till release. Thanks Anet for putting in so much hard work to restore such beautiful Canthan armor. The Luxon Assassin armor is especially fantastic. I wonder if their giant turtles will still around to ride while wearing it.

Based on the last two expansions:

-We'll be lucky to get three-At least one of them will be a grotesquely over designed trench coat mess of spikes/blades that looked good as concept art but fails utterly to present itself in 3D-One will probably be pretty okay but will be a huge pain in the butt to get, disproportionate to how fancy it is-The last set will be nice but also much more so than the others such that EVERYONE will be running around in it

yeah, HOT none of the armors can be saved, leyline have good effects(for shine lovers) but is a ugly "stone" concept.in POF the Warbeast remains is really very good but only the heavy set. the medium and light are grotesque.

i wonder whos have the idea that persistent "rock theme" in every armor is good.

most fire themed weapons are wasted because anet stick to this "lava/rock".

I love the Bounty Hunter medium set. I just discovered it from the Crystal Desert box, gonna get the whole set for my ranger.

@mistsim.2748 said:

@"Doggie.3184" said:I'm looking forward to seeing the
tons
of new Armor sets that look just like the GW1 Assassin armor from Cantha without any unnessary addons/alterations like stapled on buttcapes. It's basically a "100% must happen" type of thing that will make or break the game so I'm positive there'll be tons of awesome skin-tight Thief skins to bring back that "gotta go fast" look of GW1 Assassins. So excited to finally get this after 3145 days of waiting, not including the future days wait till release. Thanks Anet for putting in so much hard work to restore such beautiful Canthan armor. The Luxon Assassin armor is especially fantastic. I wonder if their giant turtles will still around to ride while wearing it.

Based on the last two expansions:

-We'll be lucky to get three-At least one of them will be a grotesquely over designed trench coat mess of spikes/blades that looked good as concept art but fails utterly to present itself in 3D-One will probably be pretty okay but will be a huge pain in the butt to get, disproportionate to how fancy it is-The last set will be nice but also much more so than the others such that EVERYONE will be running around in it

yeah, HOT none of the armors can be saved, leyline have good effects(for shine lovers) but is a ugly "stone" concept.in POF the Warbeast remains is really very good but only the heavy set. the medium and light are grotesque.

i wonder whos have the idea that persistent "rock theme" in every armor is good.

most fire themed weapons are wasted because anet stick to this "lava/rock".

I love the Bounty Hunter medium set. I just discovered it from the Crystal Desert box, gonna get the whole set for my ranger.

That's normal for a Ranger but not for an Assassin who was reincarnated as a Thief wanting to recover his Canthan history.

@Solanum.6983 said:

@"Super Hayes.6890" said:"Emergency Button" Are you serious ? I strongly disagree. The game is doing fine.

I think the game was doing ok but there were obvious problems with how they wanted to do things going forward, A living world only format was never going to draw in or retain players like semi-regular expansions would and I think that was realized half way trough the Icebrood saga. So not necessarily an emergency button but similar.

I'm just glad they realized it and decided to do what's best.

I think the "Living World" idea was too big of a task, which sounded good, but in hindsight, nobody wants to feel like they missed out on a story for a game they bought. I really liked how they Revamp the Traits and came up with Specializations. Definitely look forward to seeing what's next.

They shouldn't show elite spec abilities, unless they got them nailed down already. Keeps themselves flexible when it comes to developing them, without needing to worry about already set expectations. I'd go for showcasing art instead. People understand that art isn't the final product. If they really want to get people speculating and discussing, they could show the elite spec icons and say nothing about what they mean. Might be interesting to see what people come up with.

@Quench.7091 said:They shouldn't show elite spec abilities, unless they got them nailed down already. Keeps themselves flexible when it comes to developing them, without needing to worry about already set expectations. I'd go for showcasing art instead. People understand that art isn't the final product. If they really want to get people speculating and discussing, they could show the elite spec icons and say nothing about what they mean. Might be interesting to see what people come up with.

we already fough at least one :P i thinkThe charr guardian using blue fire with sword/sword

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@Quench.7091 said:They shouldn't show elite spec abilities, unless they got them nailed down already. Keeps themselves flexible when it comes to developing them, without needing to worry about already set expectations. I'd go for showcasing art instead. People understand that art isn't the final product. If they really want to get people speculating and discussing, they could show the elite spec icons and say nothing about what they mean. Might be interesting to see what people come up with.

we already fough at least one :P i thinkThe charr guardian using blue fire with sword/sword

I don't know about that one, but we did see Jhavi Jorasdottir (Necromancer) with a shield in a Icebrood Saga trailer. No abilities, just a shield and an axe. Showing weapons is okay, because there are only so many combinations they could do anyways.

@Quench.7091 said:They shouldn't show elite spec abilities, unless they got them nailed down already.

Except that they've already shown that they can't dry release balanced specs

Giving us weeks or even months to help them refine design choices is a far better idea than fucking up PvP, WvW, and PvE for 6 months like they did the last two cycles

Even more so now that we're going to get a penalty baked in to each spec this time around (unless you're guardian) which could range from not enough to way too much

@Quench.7091 said:

I don't know about that one, but we did see Jhavi Jorasdottir (Necromancer) with a shield in a Icebrood Saga trailer. No abilities, just a shield and an axe. Showing weapons is okay, because there are only so many combinations they could do anyways.

npcs aren't restricted to any weapon combination so they can practically use anything and usually with generic skill sets that most npcs use for the given weapon type and "profession type"

@Astyrah.4015 said:

npcs aren't restricted to any weapon combination so they can practically use anything and usually with generic skill sets that most npcs use for the given weapon type and "profession type"

They usually stick to their class, if they have one, as they can reuse proper class animations. I get that they can step out of their role from time to time. Jhavi currently uses a scepter and focus, but they placed her with a shield in the trailer. Something interesting is during our fight with Drakkar she had an excuse to step out of this role, because she generated necromancer/raven spirit shields during that fight. I'm surprised they didn't give her one in the game.

@Quench.7091 said:

They usually stick to their class, if they have one, as they can reuse proper class animations. I get that they can step out of their role from time to time. Jhavi currently uses a scepter and focus, but they placed her with a shield in the trailer. Something interesting is during our fight with Drakkar she had an excuse to step out of this role, because she generated necromancer/raven spirit shields during that fight. I'm surprised they didn't give her one in the game.

yeah but its not a generic skill set :\ at least didnt felt like it.

@Solanum.6983 said:

@"Super Hayes.6890" said:"Emergency Button" Are you serious ? I strongly disagree. The game is doing fine.

I think the game was doing ok but there were obvious problems with how they wanted to do things going forward, A living world only format was never going to draw in or retain players like semi-regular expansions would and I think that was realized half way trough the Icebrood saga. So not necessarily an emergency button but similar.

I'm just glad they realized it and decided to do what's best.

You know the saying-if it ain't broke don't fix it. While its great to experiment with different types of content, you need solid leadership of a Game Director to build the framework for your game. They guide the ship and studios literally cannot afford one mistep. When you don't have a solid vision then people scramble around doing anything and everything they think might work and so you get a disjointed product. Gw2 is unfortunately not very cohesive and EOD will be the make or break for them going forward.

@"HotDelirium.7984" said:Gw2 is unfortunately not very cohesive and EOD will be the make or break for them going forward.

It's going to be the more or less end of GW2 at that point anyway

Presumably, we're going to solve the Jormag/Primo problem with IBS and Cantha is almost certainly going to deal with the Water Dragon

At that point we've dealt with them all and Aurene now exists as some hyper powerful, benevolent dragon goddess or decides to put herself into a 10,000 year long coma because she begins to feel her own Elder Dragon hunger

In either case, we've beaten pretty much all the established bad guys and most of what's left of the GW1 baddies along the way

Unless they suddenly decide to throw the "Cooperation Coalition" into the trash and have the races start to war with one another, I'm not sure where the story can go in a satisfying way

The Centaurs are still sort of around I guess but I really don't feel like spending 2-3 years being lectured on how humans are actually the real villains for stealing land from yet another beast race