What's with the Beetle Saddle?

Buzzbugs.1236

I have already begun my epic journey to acquire the prestigious Roller Beetle mount. Today alone I have spent a collective total of 3 hours standing around waiting for meta events to happen so that I can get collectibles. I just wanted to let you all know that I was wrong about what I said. So far this is very exciting content indeed.

Right now I am just waiting for the opportunity to bypass this door that won't seem to open without the correct meta event. I have begun my search on the wikipedia for more information, which is what I spend about half of my adventure doing.A30CoRj.png

After studying the wikipedia further I have come to that same conclusion that my hero was waiting in the wrong area. The collection tooltip only mentioned the Moon Fortress and was really vague like always. I should have studied the meta outside of the game harder and more thoroughly.

But it looks like my hero has now fallen asleep while waiting for this meta to begin. Oh well, she needed the rest after all this adventuring.

YieaJFs.jpg

@Jong.5937 said:It was a long time ago, but I don't even remember the beetle even being that grindy! Certainly not 6 months, as mentioned above, not even 6 days. Possibly it was more than 6 hours!

This thread started with a complaint about moving off the map in which it is introduced and I don't get that. It's not like you need to spend days literally walking across the world to get the other locations and, as someone else explained, having things to gather or collect on other maps is a great way of keeping the whole world alive with people, rather than all focused on one or two maps.

The 6 months was to demonstrate that they can take it how ever slow they want to make it not be grindy for them.I did it first week because I wanted to.

@"Drakortha.6974" said:After studying the wikipedia further I have come to that same conclusion that my hero was waiting in the wrong area. The collection tooltip only mentioned the Moon Fortress and was really vague like always. I should have studied the meta outside of the game harder and more thoroughly.

But it looks like my hero has now fallen asleep while waiting for this meta to begin. Oh well, she needed the rest after all this adventuring.

YieaJFs.jpg

Well atleast now we know why it feel long and grindy for you.Your doing the wrong things and just standing around.

@Drakortha.6974 said:I have already begun my epic journey to acquire the prestigious Roller Beetle mount. Today alone I have spent a collective total of 3 hours standing around waiting for meta events to happen so that I can get collectibles. I just wanted to let you all know that I was wrong about what I said. So far this is very exciting content indeed.

Meta events are at set times that are known to the players. If you choose to stand around just for the sake of having the possibility to be sarcastic on the forum then that's exactly that: your choice.

You're seriously going out of your way to pretend this is so hard and inconvenient. I almost start wondering what you're normally doing in the game outside of getitng the mounts. Also apparently reading wiki (which isn't needed, but will obviously make everything easier) is... I don't know, too hard? Anticlimactic? Takes too much time? But lo and behold, posing to screenshots, uploading said screenshots and making sarcastic remarks on the forum is perfectly fine and in line with your gaming experience combined with sould of explorer :D

...finally it also doesn't really matter from which side you'd be waiting, because the events show on the map and you were nearby anyways, but I get that at this point you're trying really hard to justify your weird complaint about optional achievements.

• Confused 1

@Drakortha.6974 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:You want a reward without effort. Where's the fun in that?

The effort is excessive. And after a hard day of work in our job, we want fun, not grind and grind and grind...

Then do as much as you feel like every day until you get it (might be 6 months) you dont have to get it right now.

If it's going to take that long to get a mount, I'm just going to play a different game.

Guild Wars 2 is (or was) a game about exploration. It should take 6 months to explore everything - not 6 months to grind out for a mount needed to even begin exploring...

The priorities are so backwards!

You do not need Skyscale to explore any part of the game. You do not need Griffon to explore any part of the game.

You don't need them - until you do. As noted by some of the other posters in this thread.

Exploration was GW2's most redeeming quality. If Anet want to lock some things behind collections, then by all means. Let there be collections for those who enjoy that type of content. But the reality is there are players out there who enjoy this game primarily for it's exploration aspects and when you apply "Prestige" to mounts that are required for effective exploration, you are excluding those people from what they enjoy about this game.

There is nothing prestigious about padding out content. By calling it Prestigious you are just overglorifying the time you spent completing a to-do list that anyone can do.. assuming they can tolerate the monotonous nature of it.Or you know... you could just cowboy up and get a skyscale.

So I can just sit on it at Lion's Arch for 10 hours a day showing off my Prestige to all of the plebs? I'm not that vain thank goodness..

I was trying to stay sympathetic to your point of view, but this is where you lost me. (I'm sure you won't care, that's fine :) )

FWIW, I worked for the skyscale b/c I knew it would make my life easier in the game. I worked on getting the currencies I needed every day for WEEKS. I did the collections. I played the games with it to keep it from getting bored. I am bonded to that mount in a way I never would've believed was possible. I love having it. I earned it. Feels good.

There are essentially two types of quests in GW2.

Hearts = zone proximity questsCollections = world wide quests

One is short term instant gratification.The other is long term content.

Once you understand this you will have less trouble in the future and if you don't like long term goals will benefit from not starting collection quests.

Kourna meta is not on a set timer instead the main event chain cycles for each map instance. You have a series of pre-events the players on the map need to finish (collect spare parts, destroy pylons, secure cannons) and after them, you attack the awakened facility. The whole chain is relatively fast and can be done by just a few players. It repeats quite fast also. Never had an issue with this meta and just playing the map and doing other collections I encountered meta plenty of times.

Beetle shouldn't be that difficult to get, I don't remember it taking too long. GW2 is a game where guides are your friend. Without a guide collection achievements take much much longer.

Here's a guide all on one page, do it step by step and you'll have it in no time.http://dulfy.net/2018/06/27/gw2-roller-beetle-mount-unlock-and-collections-guide/

If you want something more in depth here's a video showing exactly the paths to take.

@frareanselm.1925 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:You want a reward without effort. Where's the fun in that?

The effort is excessive. And after a hard day of work in our job, we want fun, not grind and grind and grind...

No one is forcing you to get all the mounts, they are optional just like legendary equipment (since the comparison was used before).

By the way, a grind is usually referring to the repetition of the same action. Doing a collection is not a grind when it takes you to different places with various tasks. Those types of actions are called playing the game. If you prefer a completely linear path through a game, you should consider switching to offline games instead (adventures, for instance).

Many of you are missing the point I've been trying to make..

When GW2 was first released one of the main things it was praised for was it's seamless questing in the open world. It was a breath of fresh air after years of World of Warcraft style of questing that MMO's in general had grown accustomed to, where you would be given "check lists" by NPC's that you would need to complete which just felt like tedious busy work. GW2 did something different and it was commended for it.

In GW2's base game, one minute you would be looking around a new area you just discovered and the next minute you were drawn into a emergent event. Next thing you know you have earned a bunch of XP, loot, and other goodies and it all happened without needing to complete tedious checklists. You were getting Sh*t done and you didn't even realize it because you were having fun.

Fast forward 7 years to where we are today and you will see this is no longer the case. Now if you want to progress through the story, gain rewards and unlockables, there are checklists after checklists. And somehow they are actually worse than what other MMO's like WoW offer, because at least with WoW you are given a comprehensive quest log that contains all the information you need to complete your current objectives. But in GW2, you are given very basic directions at best and at worst, no information at all.

Searching up guides on the Wikipedia is the solution being touted to me over and over again in this thread but you are missing the point I am making. Don't you think that is poor quest design implementation when your players can't find the information they need within the game world but instead need to keep an internet browser open at all times?

This has become like busy work. GW2 has left behind it's original design philosophy and puts all it's emphasis on gameplay that it was once commended for NOT doing. The Achievement panel acts like our quest log but it's worse than a quest log because it's not fit for that purpose. It's been retrofitted to fit that purpose as a means to pad out playtime and keep you busy for longer but at the cost of any amount of enjoyment in the process. The journey should be just as fulfilling as the destination, which is what GW2 used to feel like.

Now tell me I am wrong, and that tedium and wikipedia surfing is okay because it makes things more prestigious :/

And I'm sorry for the long drawn out post, but some of you just don't seem to get it and just infer that I'm lazy or stupid which is simply not the case because I've been with GW2 since the beginning and I know what I'm talking about!!

@"Drakortha.6974" said:Many of you are missing the point I've been trying to make..

When GW2 was first released one of the main things it was praised for was it's seamless questing in the open world. It was a breath of fresh air after years of World of Warcraft style of questing that MMO's in general had grown accustomed to, where you would be given "check lists" by NPC's that you would need to complete which just felt like tedious busy work. GW2 did something different and it was commended for it.

What questing? You mean hearts? Events? All of those are on the newer maps with some exceptions as a several don't have hearts.

In GW2's base game, one minute you would be looking around a new area you just discovered and the next minute you were drawn into a emergent event. Next thing you know you have earned a bunch of XP, loot, and other goodies and it all happened without needing to complete tedious checklists. You were getting kitten done and you didn't even realize it because you were having fun.

You can still do all of that. This hasn't changed.

Fast forward 7 years to where we are today and you will see this is no longer the case. Now if you want to progress through the story, gain rewards and unlockables, there are checklists after checklists. And somehow they are actually worse than what other MMO's like WoW offer, because at least with WoW you are given a comprehensive quest log that contains all the information you need to complete your current objectives. But in GW2, you are given very basic directions at best and at worst, no information at all.

Checklists are an additional system on top of the existing one that you mentioned about the game starting with. There's not all that much difference between having a checklist versus having someone go through the items in a sequence like other games do. I actually like the way that Anet does these things as it leads to less cluttering. There is the wiki and player-made guides for those that need more hand holding.

Searching up guides on the Wikipedia is the solution being touted to me over and over again in this thread but you are missing the point I am making. Don't you think that is poor quest design implementation when your players can't find the information they need within the game world but instead need to keep an internet browser open at all times?

Well considering players completed these before the guides were available, and some still do even now without using them, I'd say that you're wrong about this. There are many other games that people use guides to complete because they themselves are not capable without using them or they simply don't want to put in the effort. I know that some games have a hand holding configuration for their quests but not every game need to follow that approach.

This has become like busy work. GW2 has left behind it's original design philosophy and puts all it's emphasis on gameplay that it was once commended for NOT doing. The Achievement panel acts like our quest log but it's worse than a quest log because it's not fit for that purpose. It's been retrofitted to fit that purpose as a means to pad out playtime and keep you busy for longer but at the cost of any amount of enjoyment in the process. The journey should be just as fulfilling as the destination, which is what GW2 used to feel like.

I'd say the majority of achievements exist in the game as busy work. The same can be said about practically every other game that has a similar system.

Now tell me I am wrong, and that tedium and wikipedia surfing is okay because it makes things more prestigious :/

It's not really tedious to use the wiki to look up a collection if you're stumped. The wiki is well managed by a group of players and the pages are presented in a very coherent and understandable manner.

You haven't expressed any issues with the first collection for the beetle which had you do tasks all on the map. It wasn't until you got to the collection that had you go to other maps that you started taking issues and claiming that it was no longer casual because you had to go to another map.

You are very quick to throw aside each and every one of my concerns with very generic responses!

I express the opinions that I do because I have invested myself into this game and I'm passionate about it. I'm not here on the forums looking for a fight but I definitely feel like my concerns are being dismissed, by you especially. You can't just hand wave all of my concerns away with key words like "hand holding" and claiming people don't want to make the effort, as if they are just lazy and their concerns are irrelevant. It comes off as very condescending. I'm not a child begging for my hand to be held for heavens sake! Try to look at the bigger picture from what I'm saying, and stop generalizing.

I never claimed the game should be easier or more simple but that it should have been designed better and most of all the process of unlocking things should be FUN and not feel like a chore. It's not just the Roller Beetle because this type of gameplay has become the new precedent going forward and I'm not too thrilled about it. Knowing that I still have the Icebrood Saga ahead of me just demotivates me to want to keep going at all.

@"Drakortha.6974" said:Many of you are missing the point I've been trying to make..

In GW2's base game, one minute you would be looking around a new area you just discovered and the next minute you were drawn into a emergent event. Next thing you know you have earned a bunch of XP, loot, and other goodies and it all happened without needing to complete tedious checklists. You were getting kitten done and you didn't even realize it because you were having fun.

And I'm sorry for the long drawn out post, but some of you just don't seem to get it and just infer that I'm lazy or stupid which is simply not the case because I've been with GW2 since the beginning and I know what I'm talking about!!

In Gw2 base game you were leveling-up. Of course you could afford to get that easy loot that wasn’t even rewarding. Other than that, I need to disagree with you.There were checklist to level-up crafting, there were checklist to gain the rewards from the season 1 content, there were checklist to kill the revamped tequatl and to have a chance to kill the triple trouble wurm and there definitely was checklists in order to craft the first generation of legendaries as well as the rare mystic forge recipies, even though you couldn’t craft the precursor.

No offense but you seem to be wearing the rose-tinted glasses of discovering the game for the first time.

@flog.3485 said:In Gw2 base game you were leveling-up. Of course you could afford to get that easy loot that wasn’t even rewarding. Other than that, I need to disagree with you.There were checklist to level-up crafting, there were checklist to gain the rewards from the season 1 content, there were checklist to kill the revamped tequatl and to have a chance to kill the triple trouble wurm and there definitely was checklists in order to craft the first generation of legendaries as well as the rare mystic forge recipies, even though you couldn’t craft the precursor.

No offense but you seem to be wearing the rose-tinted glasses of discovering the game for the first time.

Do you mean to say the game has not changed at all since base game and the expectation of the player is also unchanged? Because to me it feels so much different, not just from the base game but even since as recent as LW3. I never had to pay much attention to achievements, they were secondary to the main content. But I feel like the further we go, the more that achievements become the main content.

The base game having achievements as a side dish is not quite the same as achievements being the main course meal in PoF and onwards. There's nothing Rose tinted about it. And when I say achievements, I also mean checklists and collections. It all falls under the same umbrella..

@"Drakortha.6974" said:When GW2 was first released one of the main things it was praised for was it's seamless questing in the open world. It was a breath of fresh air after years of World of Warcraft style of questing that MMO's in general had grown accustomed to, where you would be given "check lists" by NPC's that you would need to complete which just felt like tedious busy work. GW2 did something different and it was commended for it.

Okay, I get it. Achievement collections are not your thing. You prefer to just run around exploring things and running into adventures by chance.

As an old school pen & paper RPG player, I understand that desire. However, events in GW2 are mostly lame^ and not fun at all (except for meta events). Therefore, I prefer to be getting my fun from challenges or scavenger hunts rather than be bored to death.

^) Especially with the damage we deal these days, plus regarding the rather unrewarding loot compared to ascended gear

@"Drakortha.6974" said:You are very quick to throw aside each and every one of my concerns with very generic responses!

There's a difference between dismissing and disagreeing. My responses to you are not generic simply because they don't side with you.

I express the opinions that I do because I have invested myself into this game and I'm passionate about it. I'm not here on the forums looking for a fight but I definitely feel like my concerns are being dismissed, by you especially. You can't just hand wave all of my concerns away with key words like "hand holding" and claiming people don't want to make the effort, as if they are just lazy. It comes off as very condescending. I'm not a child begging for my hand to be held for heavens sake! Try to look at the bigger picture from what I'm saying, and stop generalizing.

You are free to express your opinions and others are free to express theirs as well. People are also free to disagree with what you're using as a basis for those opinions such as the beetle collection not being casual because some items require players to leave the Kourna map.

People using a guide because they don't understand what to do or don't want to figure that out. There's nothing condescending about stating that. What other reasons are there for people who choose to use guides? Would people who already know what to do use them? Probably not. What more information do you want?

I never claimed the game should be easier or more simple but that it should have been designed better and most of all the process of unlocking things should be FUN and not feel like a chore. It's not just the Roller Beetle because this type of gameplay has become the new precedent going forward and I'm not too thrilled about it. Knowing that I still have the Icebrood Saga ahead of me just demotivates me to want to keep going at all.

What you find to not be fun, others do. It's not a chore to have to hop to other map to do a collection item when chances are you wouldn't have had an issue with that collection item had id been on the same map. You don't actually have to do these collections if you don't enjoy them.

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:There's a difference between dismissing and disagreeing. My responses to you are not generic simply because they don't side with you.

I feel like you are dismissing my concerns and not just disagreeing because of the nature of your responses. All of your responses take the exact same stance of "the game has no faults at all, you're the problem".

You're right, everything as it is now is absolutely perfect and there's no room for improvement at all. And if I don't enjoy something, such as having to do tedius tasks to unlock half of the available content, then I should just throw that entire portion of content into the trash can and try to forget it exists. That's a golden solution right there..

I just want to play the best this game has to offer but I feel like it's being locked behind a door. And another door.. and another. It's frustrating!

@Drakortha.6974 said:

@flog.3485 said:In Gw2 base game you were leveling-up. Of course you could afford to get that easy loot that wasn’t even rewarding. Other than that, I need to disagree with you.There were checklist to level-up crafting, there were checklist to gain the rewards from the season 1 content, there were checklist to kill the revamped tequatl and to have a chance to kill the triple trouble wurm and there definitely was checklists in order to craft the first generation of legendaries as well as the rare mystic forge recipies, even though you couldn’t craft the precursor.

Do you mean to say the game has not changed at all since base game and the expectation of the player is also unchanged? Because to me it feels so much different, not just from the base game but even since as recent as LW3. I never had to pay much attention to achievements, they were secondary to the main content. But I feel like the further we go, the more that achievements become the main content.

The base game having achievements as a side dish is not quite the same as achievements being the main course meal in PoF and onwards. There's nothing Rose tinted about it. And when I say achievements, I also mean checklists and collections. It all falls under the same umbrella..

That is exactly what I am telling you about. Achievements felt like side dish because you were busy leveling-up, discovering the game for the first time and you were obviously not caring about them because you didn’t reach endgame content.

I am pointing out that once you got acquainted by the game, the game has pretty much always revolved around achievements and collections for that ap and the many skins you can unlock.Also, in case you haven’t noticed, in the base game, many complained about the lack of endgame and the lack of collection whether it is through the story journal or not and generally of in-game earnable rewards. And frankly Anet has started increasing these rewards heavily, ever since the start of season 2 and not at the start of PoF and onwards, because, guess what, most of the playerbase would have be done with the discovery of core Tyria.

That is why I say it feels like you are wearing rose-tinted glasses to me.

@Drakortha.6974 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:There's a difference between dismissing and disagreeing. My responses to you are not generic simply because they don't side with you.

I feel like you are dismissing my concerns and not just disagreeing because of the nature of your responses. All of your responses take the exact same stance of "the game has no faults at all, you're the problem".

Collections give hints on what each collections item entails. This is an improvement from the system when it first came out as people may remember from the Drytop and Silverwaste coin collections.

I'm not, neither do I think anyone else in the thread, are dismissing that you do not find collections enjoyable. It's what you're using to back up that opinion that is being objected to.

You started the thread disappointed that a collection for the beetle mount had you leave Kourna and you stated that made the collections not casual. You then shifted to not enjoying collections at all which is fine as not everything in a game will be enjoyed by everyone. You then went on to say that the mounts behind collections were mandatory in order to explore the game which I, as well as other, disagreed with you. You then made a jab at those who do these collections saying it's along the lines for their vanity so they can AFK in LA. It wasn't until about 5 hours ago that you made a post and shifted your argument again to be now be about the the poor design of collections.

I had asked what you wanted to be improved and saw no suggestions from you in previous posts.

You're right, everything as it is now is absolutely perfect and there's no room for improvement at all. And if I don't enjoy something, such as having to do tedius tasks to unlock half of the available content, then I should just throw that entire portion of content into the trash can and try to forget it exists. That's a golden solution right there..

I just want to play the best this game has to offer but I feel like it's being locked behind a door. And another door.. and another. It's frustrating!

What content is being locked behind tedious tasks? Mounts are more of a reward or feature the three tied behind collections are not really required for anything except for stuff designed specifically for them (e.g. griffon adventures, rifts). Another thing that you can do if you don't enjoy collections is simply complete them slowly over time so that you're not doing so much of what you don't like within a short period of time.