Gemstore rotation is wayyy to slow [Merged]

On 4/9/2021 at 7:17 PM, Slowpokeking.8720 said:

Some items only show up once for around 1 month or less and gone for the rest of the year, I don't think we should wait that long to spend out money, 3 months at most for the circle.

OP, I believe that is a marketing phenomenon called FOMO(Fear of missing out). Basically, it's an enticement to buy before time expires so you don't "miss out". Yeah...I'm not sugar-coating it, it's sleazy. Although ANet is more benign about micro-transactions due to being only cosmetics, they will still use these sorts of marketing tactics to get people to buy and keep the game running between expansions. This sort of thing is just general game industry shenanigans.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

And yet we can go into our character wardrobe and see all the potential outfits, finishers, etc. that are available...they just need to add an option in the wardrobe to buy those items directly even if they aren't "featured" in the gem store.

Good idea, this is how it should be! You'd have built-in comparison and promotion.
I have a suspicion that there's a desire to not intrude on the gameplay with adverts and tasteless BUY NOW hyperlinks, however.

On 4/10/2021 at 12:17 AM, Slowpokeking.8720 said:

Some items only show up once for around 1 month or less and gone for the rest of the year, I don't think we should wait that long to spend out money, 3 months at most for the circle.

I believe the theory is the same as the New Skins each Story Episode. People pop back from time to time to check out what's available - if it's the same every time, why pop back?

Edited by Svarty.8019
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 8:41 PM, JTGuevara.9018 said:

OP, I believe that is a marketing phenomenon called FOMO(Fear of missing out). Basically, it's an enticement to buy before time expires so you don't "miss out". Yeah...I'm not sugar-coating it, it's sleazy. Although ANet is more benign about micro-transactions due to being only cosmetics, they will still use these sorts of marketing tactics to get people to buy and keep the game running between expansions. This sort of thing is just general game industry shenanigans.

That also works by having everything available and then have sales rotate in and out on items, like PoE does it etc.

I don't know what way will make them the most money, but it's up for debate if is the most profitable solution.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 2:41 PM, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Fomo is great for crappy products you want to make a quick buck on, but products left on the market make more money over time, and not even a substantially long time after the product is removed.

With the GW2 shop "fomo," it doesn't create a sense of missing out so much, as it does an annoyance of having to wait. I mean, this isn't WoW mage tower levels of fomo, but I can see how newer players would feel the urge to buy immediately.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

Fomo is great for crappy products you want to make a quick buck on, but products left on the market make more money over time, and not even a substantially long time after the product is removed.

With the GW2 shop "fomo," it doesn't create a sense of missing out so much, as it does an annoyance of having to wait. I mean, this isn't WoW mage tower levels of fomo, but I can see how newer players would feel the urge to buy immediately.

You just proved my point. FOMO really has nothing to do with the product in question but with the marketing of that product. That annoyance and urge is part of it.

I don't mind it too much. I used to play MMORPGs that didn't have a rotating cash shop, I almost went broke after a few months because I wanted so many things on a whim. But GW2 only likes to sell filler, like what dinglenut actually buys glyphless gathering tools? There have been too many times where I went "This outfit combination looks neat, I just need to get this piece and it's complete, where do I get it?...Oh it's the cash shop, it's not being sold. I'll just wait." Then by the time it is sold in the cash shop, I lost interest in it and don't buy it. This has happened about three dozen times since I started playing again a few months ago. Sure it's frustrating for me in the short term, but my wallet is VERY happy with it. And thanks to the Gemstore schedule, I know the next thing I want to buy won't be available for another three months, so I can save up until then or spend it on other things. Since the things I want are so far away, I am currently saving up to buy a few games I wanted to play on Steam for when I am bored.

• Thanks 1

I find it frustrating that not all of the gemstore items are available whenever you want to buy something. I personally think it's illogical. I understand the concept of the whole 'but it will make players want the items more', but I don't agree with that.

For example, one day I'd like to get the "Synergetics Hoverbike Skimmer Skin" - but I not only need to first get the 1600 gems required for it, but even IF I have the gems required to buy it, right now, I can't get it, because it's not available on the gemstore anyway (or in the black lion chest, where it was also available from, 'historically').

As a player, I find this incredibly dumb, having to wait until it's decided upon that it can come 'back into rotation'. It doesn't give me the desire to want the gemstore item more, if anything, it makes me want it less, because while I'm waiting for it to become available again, who's to say I might lose interest in it entirely, or trade in my gems for gold instead because I can't be bothered waiting?

To me, the whole 'rotation' thing is dumb. All gemstore items should be available at all times.

Edited by Zaoda.1653
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:34 AM, Nightcore.5621 said:

Yeah anet have lost so many money from me make me wait for so long to have the items i wanted in gemstore so i stopped care about it

That's the thing - it makes players lost interest if the gemstore items aren't available - it's like dangling a carrot above a player's head, then saying, well, I'll bring it back at some future point - you don't know when, or how long you'll have to wait, and after waiting too long, you lose interest, or even forget the very thing you wanted, which I'm sure is not what Anet's intentions were with the whole gemstore rotation thing.

Edited by Zaoda.1653
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 1/16/2022 at 7:06 PM, Klowdy.3126 said:

They already admitted (during the mountgate incident, which, btw, was never actually resolved - the original licenses are still unchanged and there's no select licences for that first selection) that they simply would not be able to sell at least some of the stuff they're offering on gemshop with fair marketing and that's why they are using crummy tactics that prey on people's weaknesses. So, yeah, they at least think that using FOMO approach does makes them more money. And they do seem to be aware that at least some of their products are, in fact, crappy ones.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 1/16/2022 at 12:34 PM, Nightcore.5621 said:

Yeah anet have lost so many money from me make me wait for so long to have the items i wanted in gemstore so i stopped care about it

However, you're not the only one playing this game and a lot more people are buying more because of these sales tactics than not. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

They already admitted (during the mountgate incident, which, btw, was never actually resolved - the original licenses are still unchanged and there's no select licences for that first selection) that they simply would not be able to sell at least some of the stuff they're offering on gemshop with fair marketing and that's why they are using crummy tactics that prey on people's weaknesses. So, yeah, they at least think that using FOMO approach does makes them more money. And they do seem to be aware that at least some of their products are, in fact, crappy ones.

What's a "mountgate?" Are you saying it like "watergate?" I'm fairly certain everyone uses that incorrectly.

7 minutes ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

What's a "mountgate?" Are you saying it like "watergate?" I'm fairly certain everyone uses that incorrectly.

There was a period where every bigger drama in all gaming communities was called [XYZ]gate, in mimicry to irl drama known as Watergate Incident or something.

"mountgate" in particular refers to original release of adoption licenses, where at first it was just rng box with a time limited "get them all" package that was absurdly expensive. There was a huge backlash over how predatory the system was, and AN has relented by stating official apology and adding select licenses at 3x the price of rng ones. Whole drama has died out quickly afterwards.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

So many people seem to know better than Anet how to make profits, it's a wonder that Anet hasn't implemented these suggestions yet.   

Mostly, looking back at recent posts, I see people posting about their own experiences, not claiming ArenaNet would make more profit without gem rotation.

“ArenaNet would have made more money from me” is not the same as “I know better than ArenaNet how they could profit from the gem store.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

There was a period where every bigger drama in all gaming communities was called [XYZ]gate, in mimicry to irl drama known as Watergate Incident or something.

"mountgate" in particular refers to original release of adoption licenses, where at first it was just rng box with a time limited "get them all" package that was absurdly expensive. There was a huge backlash over how predatory the system was, and AN has relented by stating official apology and adding select licenses at 3x the price of rng ones. Whole drama has died out quickly afterwards.

Whch is very funny, considering how the whole "apology" was "we're sorry you didn't understand how a great idea it was", and how that original licence system was never changed. It's clear the "apology" was only to make people calm down and forget about the whole thing, but also clearly showed that Anet didn't think there was anything wrong with what they did at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Ah. Just people using words wrong (Watergate was the name of the hotel). I do recall the mount complaints when they were first introduced, vaguely. I just remember thinking "I wish there was a better way to get mount skins ingame."

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

Ah. Just people using words wrong (Watergate was the name of the hotel). 

Though Watergate did come to mean the scandal itself, and people used Xgate to identify a political scandal decades later. The Iran-Contra affair is one I remember being refered to as Irangate by pundits.

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

So many people seem to know better than Anet how to make profits, it's a wonder that Anet hasn't implemented these suggestions yet.   

Well they did have to abandon certain projects and lay off people a few years back, so they must not exactly be swimming in cash...there's always room for improvement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Zaoda.1653 said:

I find it frustrating that not all of the gemstore items are available whenever you want to buy something. I personally think it's illogical. I understand the concept of the whole 'but it will make players want the items more', but I don't agree with that.

For example, one day I'd like to get the "Synergetics Hoverbike Skimmer Skin" - but I not only need to first get the 1600 gems required for it, but even IF I have the gems required to buy it, right now, I can't get it, because it's not available on the gemstore anyway (or in the black lion chest, where it was also available from, 'historically').

As a player, I find this incredibly dumb, having to wait until it's decided upon that it can come 'back into rotation'. It doesn't give me the desire to want the gemstore item more, if anything, it makes me want it less, because while I'm waiting for it to become available again, who's to say I might lose interest in it entirely, or trade in my gems for gold instead because I can't be bothered waiting?

To me, the whole 'rotation' thing is dumb. All gemstore items should be available at all times.

Well you are part of a minority then mate ( that dont fall for Anet sales tatics), I donno if you feel that is good or bad.

• Haha 1