Warrior block should be half the cd of Ranger counterattack.

Bad take but unironic. Exaggeration in title. I'll take 20 seconds baseline.

Warrior is intended to be melee oriented, or at the very least lends itself more to melee play. Its ranged options are slow and telegraphed, and getting up close with your opponent is more rewarding.

Ranger is the opposite. its melee options are slow and telegraphed, and its ranged options are faster. Despite this, it has more options for mitigating in melee range (even though it performs best outside of it) than warrior (even though warrior's damage comes largely from entering and maintaining melee range.)

Not only that, but matched up versus Daredevil (which already counters the class mechanically), shield is mechanically useless because it is up at a rate of almost half the uptime of swipe, which puts it on cooldown immediately when used.

I should be able to block with a shield more often than I can block with offhand sword. Warrior should be directly behind Guardian in terms of the robustness of its shield option.

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:Bad take but unironic. Exaggeration in title. I'll take 20 seconds baseline.

Warrior is intended to be melee oriented, or at the very least lends itself more to melee play. Its ranged options are slow and telegraphed, and getting up close with your opponent is more rewarding.

Ranger is the opposite. its melee options are slow and telegraphed, and its ranged options are faster. Despite this, it has more options for mitigating in melee range (even though it performs best outside of it) than warrior (even though warrior's damage comes largely from entering and maintaining melee range.)

Not only that, but matched up versus Daredevil (which already counters the class mechanically), shield is mechanically useless because it is up at a rate of almost half the uptime of swipe, which puts it on cooldown immediately when used.

I should be able to block with a shield more often than I can block with offhand sword. Warrior should be directly behind Guardian in terms of the robustness of its shield option.

Or, make a cool trait adjustment that says if the block is interrupted you evade for 1/2 s.

that's why warrior without full counter is completely garbage, because a single unblockable CC on shield block = easy kill

warrior actually need better range/radius/lower cast time on skills, so it can actually avoid damage by positioning, instead of being in enemy's face 24/7 and taking all the damage. because every other classes have longer-lasting hard damage mitigation skills upfront in face-to-face combat.

anet's solution was over buffing/adding

1. full counter aka aoe daze spam with 8 sec CD, one of the most annoying anti fun skill in the game
  2. dodge spam via might gain and full counter reset, u can proc 3 building momentums back to back for endurance gain with no thought but spam, which is also spellbreaker only, dodge spam is also anti fun.which is why i barely played spellbreaker, i only mained core war back in the vanilla days.

even dodge spam and full counter spam specialized only for spellbreaker isnt enough anymore

@"Shrapnel.7249" said:Full counter. Insane utility, easily generated, huge payoff. I’m not saying warriors couldn’t use a bump in the balance, but that forever and a half shield block shouldn’t have a shorter CD in my opinion.

it's funny how you use the word "insane utility" "easily generated" "huge payoff" which should belong to an actual viable class.your whole phrase contradicts itself.

@Lighter.5631 said:that's why warrior without full counter is completely garbage, because a single unblockable CC on shield block = easy kill

warrior actually need better range/radius/lower cast time on skills, so it can actually avoid damage by positioning, instead of being in enemy's face 24/7 and taking all the damage. because every other classes have longer-lasting hard damage mitigation skills upfront in face-to-face combat.

@"Shrapnel.7249" said:Full counter. Insane utility, easily generated, huge payoff. I’m not saying warriors couldn’t use a bump in the balance, but that forever and a half shield block shouldn’t have a shorter CD in my opinion.

it's funny how you use the word "insane utility" "easily generated" "huge payoff" which should belong to an actual viable class.your whole phrase contradicts itself.

My main purpose was to point out that Warriors have more than just shield 5. I don’t know if core warrior is a popular thing right now, I haven’t seen many, but I imagine they’d use endure pain in some form or another. I said warriors could use a buff, but specifically stated that this buff shouldn’t come in the form of shortening the shield 5 CD.

@Shrapnel.7249 said:

@Lighter.5631 said:that's why warrior without full counter is completely garbage, because a single unblockable CC on shield block = easy kill

@Shrapnel.7249 said:Full counter. Insane utility, easily generated, huge payoff. I’m not saying warriors couldn’t use a bump in the balance, but that forever and a half shield block shouldn’t have a shorter CD in my opinion.

My main purpose was to point out that Warriors have more than just shield 5.

using words that only belong to viable classes is no way to prove your point, only make you seem like you don't understand anything.why would any class need a buff if it is "insane" "easily generated" and has "huge payoff" anyway?

@Lighter.5631 said:

@Shrapnel.7249 said:Full counter. Insane utility, easily generated, huge payoff. I’m not saying warriors couldn’t use a bump in the balance, but that forever and a half shield block shouldn’t have a shorter CD in my opinion.

using words that only belong to viable classes is no way to prove your point, only make you seem like you don't understand anything.why would any class need a buff if it is "insane" "easily generated" and has "huge payoff" anyway?

And your argument is that full counter ISN’T a massive skill?? It’s a massive skill, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Of course one skill isn’t gonna make an entire class meta, I never said it did. You are running in circles saying nothing. Give me one reason why the Shield 5 skill should have a shorter cooldown. Because that’s what I’ve been addressing the entire time here. With an easily generated VERY GOOD SKILL I don’t feel that shield 5 should have a short CD. A shorter CD for that length of block would be too powerful in good player’s hands. That length of block on a shorter CD would allow recharge of other skills too easily (GS skills come to my mind). Balance for a class that can put out high damage in a short period, and can also mitigate damage with mobility and blocks is difficult.To state again, I think warriors can use a buff, but it shouldn’t come from shield 5 CD. To say that Full Counter is an INSANE SKILL, doesn’t mean it can carry. It doesn’t mean other aspects of warrior couldn’t use a buff. It means exactly what I said, that it’s an insane skill (hyperbole, okay sure, but you haven’t actually said anything other than you don’t want to play spell breaker, you want a core buff. And I’m saying that I don’t believe that shield 5 CD is a good route for that, keeping in mind spellbreaker.)

@Shrapnel.7249 said:

And your argument is that full counter ISN’T a massive skill?? It’s a massive skill, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Of course one skill isn’t gonna make an entire class meta, I never said it did. You are running in circles saying nothing. Give me one reason why the Shield 5 skill should have a shorter cooldown. Because that’s what I’ve been addressing the entire time here. With an easily generated VERY GOOD SKILL I don’t feel that shield 5 should have a short CD. A shorter CD for that length of block would be too powerful in good player’s hands. That length of block on a shorter CD would allow recharge of other skills too easily (GS skills come to my mind). Balance for a class that can put out high damage in a short period, and can also mitigate damage with mobility and blocks is difficult.To state again, I think warriors can use a buff, but it shouldn’t come from shield 5 CD. To say that Full Counter is an INSANE SKILL, doesn’t mean it can carry. It doesn’t mean other aspects of warrior couldn’t use a buff. It means exactly what I said, that it’s an insane skill (hyperbole, okay sure, but you haven’t actually said anything other than you don’t want to play spell breaker, you want a core buff. And I’m saying that I don’t believe that shield 5 CD is a good route for that, keeping in mind spellbreaker.)

shield block isnt carrying the class, full counter isand shield block is shared by the whole warrior, while full counter is only for spellbreaker, which is the only semi playable spec warrior has.OP has a point tho it may not be the best change, but it could be one of the choices.also literally anything that isnt full counter is buffable for warrior, as none of the mechanics are toxic, with maybe adrenaline health if you really want to have one.tell me then if shield isnt the right choice then what is? you don't seem to have any idea tho..

your argument doesn't seem to stand, because full counter is "insane" (which is not anymore at the moment, just annoying and toxic, like steal)shield shouldnt be buffed, just doesnt make sense, A is OP so B shouldn't be buffed, even tho A/B as a whole is underpowered.

actually now i think about it, anet could be end up buffing shield, seeing how they buff warrior in the past years without actually properly balancing its mechanics.they just do lazy buffs and be done with it, which never worked, only end up having warrior being unviable for 3/4 of the time with like only 1-2 month of glory every year.

@Lighter.5631 said:

shield block isnt carrying the class, full counter isand shield block is shared by the whole warrior, while full counter is only for spellbreaker, which is the only semi playable spec warrior has.OP has a point tho it may not be the best change, but it could be one of the choices.also literally anything that isnt full counter is buffable for warrior, as none of the mechanics are toxic, with maybe adrenaline health if you really want to have one.tell me then if shield isnt the right choice then what is? you don't seem to have any idea tho..

your argument doesn't seem to stand, because full counter is "insane" (which is not anymore at the moment, just annoying and toxic, like steal)shield should be buffed, just doesnt make sense, A is OP so B shouldn't be buffed, even tho A/B as a whole is underpowered.

I completely agree with with you are coming from here. I don’t have a better suggestion tbh. Probably why I’m not even remotely close to the balancing team. A buff to shield would be a Spellbreaker buff. I hope warrior can get a bump (I like their side mode capabilities) but I hope it comes from a different direction than shield. I wouldn’t mind warrior ranged weapons actually being worth a damn.

Yeah, no. The damage evasion isn't what's wrong with warrior. You already have evades built into gs, utilities and class mechanics. Adding more blocks will fix absolutely nothing to your losing match-ups while you'll just forever stall your already winning ones.

Reducing the mobility of other classes is the only buff warrior needs.

@Ovark.2514 said:Warrior block is plenty short enough CD. It's ranger block that's the issue. Ranger should have like 1/2 the block duration and then the block can be CANCELED if the player decides to counterattack.

the block can already be canceled if ranger decides to counterattack

As for warrior if you lower shieldblock CD warrior will be OP, and by warrior I mean spellbreaker, shield buff alone wont make core/berk good, and fullcounter + free stats carry spb into viability hard, you would need to nerf spb hard to make buffs for core/berk to not make spb overpowered

@Math.5123 said:Yeah, no. The damage evasion isn't what's wrong with warrior. You already have evades built into gs, utilities and class mechanics. Adding more blocks will fix absolutely nothing to your losing match-ups while you'll just forever stall your already winning ones.

and that would take way more work then doable lol.first of all, warrior barely catches anyone even in vanilla, not even mentioning expansions giving out free mobility, with daredevil, soulbeast, druid, holo, dragon hunter etc.second of all, that would include teleports.

even rampage is easily kitable over stairs for how shitty warrior movement skills are, even tho rampage has a 3 second CD gap closer.you would need heavy mobility nerf across board and i don't think people will be happy or anet will be willing to put the effort.i only suggested removing runes of speed and lynx and traveler back then and people heavily flamed.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Ovark.2514 said:Warrior block is plenty short enough CD. It's ranger block that's the issue. Ranger should have like 1/2 the block duration and then the block can be CANCELED if the player decides to counterattack.

As for warrior if you lower shieldblock CD warrior will be OP, and by warrior I mean spellbreaker, shield buff alone wont make core/berk good, and fullcounter + free stats carry spb into viability hard, you would need to nerf spb hard to make buffs for core/berk to not make spb overpowered

buffing shield would make spellbreaker OP because? you don't seem to understand how and why underpowered warrior currently is.

You can't cross compare classes like that. Ranger isn't just better at range and supposed to be weaker in melee. Rangers strength comes from being able to control the distance it fights at and must float between range and melee. This is why in sPvP ranger is not in the meta, smaller spaces with fights centered around objectives that have obstacles that can be used to negate this.

Warrior is built as a frontline combatant and naturally has more in combat sustain. Comparing both classes in melee, the warrior will out sustain a ranger in melee regardless of whether it's spellbreaker or not. If you aren't able to do that, there is either issues in your build or playstyle (or both).

Lastly, buffing shield block is the wrong way to go about it on warrior, it would simply offer too much sustain when paired with other elite specs, certain weapon sets, or traits/utilities. Instead I would suggest focusing on trying to get anet to fix a partially broken line (defense) or returning some duration to stances like endure pain (while removing the passive endure from the traitline).

@Lighter.5631 said:

@Math.5123 said:Yeah, no. The damage evasion isn't what's wrong with warrior. You already have evades built into gs, utilities and class mechanics. Adding more blocks will fix absolutely nothing to your losing match-ups while you'll just forever stall your already winning ones.

and that would take way more work then doable lol.first of all, warrior barely catches anyone even in vanilla, not even mentioning expansions giving out free mobility, with daredevil, soulbeast, druid, holo, dragon hunter etc.second of all, that would include teleports.

even rampage is easily kitable over stairs for how kitten warrior movement skills are, even tho rampage has a 3 second CD gap closer.you would need heavy mobility nerf across board and i don't think people will be happy or anet will be willing to put the effort.i only suggested removing runes of speed and lynx and traveler back then and people heavily flamed.

buffing shield would make spellbreaker OP because? you don't seem to understand how and why underpowered warrior currently is.

If you can't catch a dh as a spellbreaker, the class isn't the issue

From my point of view, the warrior's equivalent of ranger's only block are Full counter (12s CD), counter blow (10s CD) and Riposte (15s CD). Ranger's counter attack being on a 30s CD itself. There is no equivalent of shield stance on ranger.

Now, if you think that the warrior's access to endure pain-like skills is unfair compared to the soulbeast, I totally agree with you. And I'd say that it's amplified by the fact that soulbeast have generous access to semi passive damage reduction and evade skills. That said, Spellbreaker can have disturbingly high amount of self-sustain so maybe it's balanced.

Spellbreaker can currently sustain itself better than any Guardian spec can. Let‘s not forget Full Counter, a heal with low cooldown, high mobility & stunbreak with charges.Strength Spellbreaker has one of the most defensive skill rotations in the game, right after Rev with Glint + Staff/Shield Skills + Damage Reduction Skills and Ranger with Stealth and a ton of evades/blocks.

Yes, it isn‘t good as sidenoder compared to Soulbeasts or Condi Revs, that is true, but as a duelist it can beat most other classes. Once Ranger & Revs and maybe Weavers are nerfed in terms of sustain, Warrior can become the most dominant sidenoder, no buffs needed

@snoow.1694 said:Spellbreaker can currently sustain itself better than any Guardian spec can. Let‘s not forget Full Counter, a heal with low cooldown, high mobility & stunbreak with charges.

I don't want to play Spellbreaker. If Spellbreaker needs to be nerfed to balance the other two variants, then do it. Right now Spellbreaker is barely viable (as a sidenoder, it is inferior to several other classes; which, mind you would be fine if it could do anything other than sidenode meanderingly, see below) and the other two variants aren't.

Yes, it isn‘t good as sidenoder compared to Soulbeasts or Condi Revs, that is true, but as a duelist it can beat most other classes. Once Ranger & Revs and maybe Weavers are nerfed in terms of sustain, Warrior can become the most dominant sidenoder, no buffs needed

I don't want to nerf three classes just to balance my own. Give me a couple more seconds of damage mitigation and you can keep everything else where it is.

@Quadox.7834 said:warrior has higher base health and armor than ranger and higher hps, it doesn't need to block as much

Fair, but the expectation of damage delivered to ranger vs damage delivered to warrior skews the MU in the rangers favor (or, perhaps I should say the armor rating and hp difference doesn't justify warrior having to eat the damage).

@Dadnir.5038 said:From my point of view, the warrior's equivalent of ranger's only block are Full counter (12s CD), counter blow (10s CD) and Riposte (15s CD). Ranger's counter attack being on a 30s CD itself. There is no equivalent of shield stance on ranger.Now, if you think that the warrior's access to endure pain-like skills is unfair compared to the soulbeast, I totally agree with you. And I'd say that it's amplified by the fact that soulbeast have generous access to semi passive damage reduction and evade skills.

Fair.

@Dadnir.5038 said:That said, Spellbreaker can have disturbingly high amount of self-sustain so maybe it's balanced.

No.Fix the other two specs.

@Math.5123 said:

even rampage is easily kitable over stairs for how kitten warrior movement skills are, even tho rampage has a 3 second CD gap closer.you would need heavy mobility nerf across board and i don't think people will be happy or anet will be willing to put the effort.i only suggested removing runes of speed and lynx and traveler back then and people heavily flamed.

if you can't kit spellbreaker as DH, you may as well not play PvP at allthe only thing u need to kit a warrior even on spellbreaker is WASD, dodge key and spacebar.standing still on a node isnt kitting btw.

cmc normally does a decent job with understanding which classes need balancing and why, his only major flaw is that he incorrectly believes that "Just increase the cooldown" reduces spam when in fact exactly the opposite is true. Cooldowns don't cause spam. Low cast times/poor animation quality without tradeoffs or downsides, and occasionally just poor skill design, are what cause spam. Blindly increasing cooldowns just makes it so +1ing becomes more effective. With defensive skills on a higher cooldown, it is much harder to punish zergers and thus zerging and spamming a single target becomes more effective.

Pretty much all cooldown/resource nerfs with a few exceptions in the past year can and should be reverted. The only thing that was ever really needed was the damage nerfs to de-escalate the power creep, and the sustain nerfs to prevent the damage nerfs from leading to bunker meta.

Outside this block alone, my beef with Ranger has always been the ability to disengage in Stealth every 20ish seconds or so just to safely re-engage with a distant or close burst, those can also be achieved without much holes to exploit as their stunbreaks/utility are really good to which also the pet just passively damages even more.

There's no relative gap in their cooldowns that exposes them to much danger and often beating one is the result of having a particular unblockable or reveal exclusively in my experience. Their flow is easily constant and I'd even say "rotation" is too smooth while from what I've noticed most professions at some point have to compensate and improvise to make it out alive in fights, doing the same thing is not possible because cooldowns eventually catch up and make the player vulnerable.

I'm pretty sure if Smoke Field cooldown was not 16 and more like 30, Rangers would have more to risk.

• Like 1

This whole issue with warrior having worse block would not have happened if they didn't power creep Ranger GS by giving it the full set of skill of shield on one ability with a bonus dodge to boot. Ranger GS was strong before, but for some reason they decided to bin the rest of the Ranger weapons, sword/dagger was perfectly fine as defensive option while GS as the offensive one.

@Lighter.5631 said:

if you can't kit spellbreaker as DH, you may as well not play PvP at allthe only thing u need to kit a warrior even on spellbreaker is WASD, dodge key and spacebar.standing still on a node isnt kitting btw.

Between 25% movespeed, rush, whirling attack, double dagger leaps, tether, bulls charge and Rampage. I don't know how you can possibly get kited by someone holding W.

@Math.5123 said:

Between 25% movespeed, rush, whirling attack, double dagger leaps, tether, bulls charge and Rampage. I don't know how you can possibly get kited by someone holding W.Any elevation does the job.