Why is every NPC Mesmer more powerful than the player?

Veprovina.4876

@Stephen.6312 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:Why can't i spam portals like Kasmeer can? Or summon hordes of illusions that are actually pretty tough and damaging?Or snap my fingers (or point at people?) like Jennah and people just die? Or create Feedback dome around a whole city?Or disguise myself whenever i want for as long as i want?

Not to mention tons of other Mesmer powers that seemingly every NPC Mesmer has except the player?

This is a lore thread so please don't tell me "gameplay reasons". Yeah, i know, obviously.But let's "lore this up", like, is there a legitimate reason they're all so powerful but the Commander (if Mesmer) isn't?Or does the Commander have some tricks up their sleeve that others don't so it evens the power and makes them just as powerful as others?

What could be the in universe reason for it? Or is the Commander just as powerful, but in a different way?What are some displays of Mesmer powers that you recall are way more powerful than Commander's? Cause i couldn't remember them all.

What even
are
Mesmers? Just mages with a specialization in magic or are they something else?I vaguely recall reading somewhere that everyone in Tyria uses magic, even Warriors, that all skills are basically magic, only used in "that particular context".If so... What is everything? :smiley:

So... Opinions? Facts? Anything?I'm interested in this. :smile:

A while ago I developed a theory about mesmers, the possibility that they are uniquely bound to Lyssa and not only because she is described as the patron goddess of the mesmer profession. I think that their perception of reality may reflect and influence Lyssa's own. So, if Lyssa is asleep, it stands to reason that mesmers' powers will be contained by her unconscious. I propose that, of the various magical genes scattered throughout Tyrian populations (note: another
theory
), the only one capable of destabilising Lyssa's slumber is the Margonite gene. In the Orrian History Scrolls, Abbadon, once the patron god of the Margonites (those humans in which the Margonite gene was dominant), is said to be the only god who remembers what Lyssa "helped" all of her other fellow deities "forget".

How does this all relate to mesmers? I believe that a mesmer's power levels are inversely proportional to the strength of the Margonite gene present within them. A mesmer with a weaker or nonexistent Margonite gene will
appear to
be more powerful than a mesmer with a present, stronger gene. This is a reaction of Lyssa's unconscious mind to the trauma contained within the memories of spells cast, the memories that those carrying the Margonite gene can tap into.

I think that the Chosen of Krytan humanity, selected and sacrificed in GW1, were mesmers carrying a unique combination of both the mesmer gene and the Margonite gene. Saul D'Alessio's self-awakening represented a point at which his Margonite heritage allowed him to break free from the hold Lyssa's mind had over him. Anyhow, like the Chosen of GW1, the PC also appears to have the Gift of True sight, albeit dormant. The question, then, is what this means?

Canonically, I believe that the PC is a mesmer (note: that doesn't mean that they can't adopt a different profession) whose abilities have been heavily regulated by Lyssa's unconscious mind. A handful of NPCs who are similarly gifted accompany him or her. Overseeing them is Aurene, herself a projection of Lyssa's mind. Together, they will heal the goddess's mind and help her to safely awaken from her dream.

Thank you Stephen for yet another wild fanfiction-headcanon that has little to no basis in actual game lore. Always a pleasure.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:Crashing into a wall with like 200mph (roughly 100m flied in roughly a second) and still standing up after.

(With probably many broken bones)

Even if you lowball this, it's still insane.

You could argue about the distance but it is just number juggling depending if we use ingame or scall the distance up to match the lore.Closer to 40mph I imagine, the blast likely knocked out the walls, rather than the commander's body. So it would be more like being constantly slammed into walls with force, and the distance wouldn't even match a mile even considering maps are somewhere between 1/2 and 1/8th the size the maps would be in lore. And likely knocked out for a solid three hours (or thereabouts) while everyone's limping around digging people out of rubble and finding what happened to the Commander and Aurene.

But yeah, guess that would make it the most impressive thing for the Commander, outside of outright resurrection when resurrection magic has been lost for 200+ years.

@"Veprovina.4876" said:Why can't i spam portals like Kasmeer can? Or summon hordes of illusions that are actually pretty tough and damaging?Or snap my fingers (or point at people?) like Jennah and people just die? Or create Feedback dome around a whole city?Or disguise myself whenever i want for as long as i want?

Not to mention tons of other Mesmer powers that seemingly every NPC Mesmer has except the player?

This is a lore thread so please don't tell me "gameplay reasons". Yeah, i know, obviously.But let's "lore this up", like, is there a legitimate reason they're all so powerful but the Commander (if Mesmer) isn't?Or does the Commander have some tricks up their sleeve that others don't so it evens the power and makes them just as powerful as others?

What could be the in universe reason for it? Or is the Commander just as powerful, but in a different way?What are some displays of Mesmer powers that you recall are way more powerful than Commander's? Cause i couldn't remember them all.

What even are Mesmers? Just mages with a specialization in magic or are they something else?I vaguely recall reading somewhere that everyone in Tyria uses magic, even Warriors, that all skills are basically magic, only used in "that particular context".If so... What is everything? :smiley:

So... Opinions? Facts? Anything?I'm interested in this. :smile:

I'm sorry to slightly derail your thread, but this should still be relevant. Why is the commander so strong compared to all NPC allies and why is the commander so frail compared to most NPCs?