Welcome to the new forum [MERGED]

• ArenaNet Staff

Hello everyone, and welcome to the new official GW2 forums! We are still doing cleanup and organizing from the migration from the old forums, but we did not want to make you wait any longer. You'll probably see weird formatting and broken links here and there, new posts with general information, and missing posts (like the newest game update notes). We're working hard on those things in the background, I promise!

Our new forum software has a lot of new features that we haven't had access to before, so we're also planning to add several of them as time goes on. The goal is to continually improve this platform for you.

Thanks to all of you for being patient as we worked on this update!

For visibility, here are a few questions that have been answered in the thread:

• There is an issue with the kitten filter. We found out the same time you all did that it is incredibly enthusiastic and I'm working on it now.
  • To answer the question about dark mode/night mode: I am not promising anything because people who are not me have to do a lot of things to make that happen, but it was the first thing I requested. I do not have confirmation that it will happen or a timeline but I can tell you it's being looked into. 
  • Sticky posts have vanished. They all un-stickied and I'm in the process of getting them back. 
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 24
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Our new forum software has a lot of new features that we haven't had access to before, so we're also planning to add several of them as time goes on. The goal is to continually improve this platform for you.

Are you planning to add a night theme?

Edited by Telgum.6071
  • Like 2

• ArenaNet Staff
2 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Are you planning to make a night theme?

I am not promising anything because people who are not me have to do a lot of things to make that happen, but it was the first thing I requested. I do not have confirmation that it will happen or a timeline but I can tell you it's being looked into. 

3 minutes ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

What about nightmode? I like that this is my go-to website to clean my glkittenes thanks to capability to burn my eye sockets out but...

@Krzysztof.5973 Thank you for accidentally finding an issue with the word filter. Just gonna go look into that real quick. 😛 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, zealex.9410 said:

I like the new look but finding thread made by or commended on by anet is hard, can you add a red background to the threads made by anet's acount?

Yeah, was wondering about that too. Adding some form of highlight to official threads and responses would be nice.

Edit: I noticed that signature quotes did not migrate and had to redo that manually. Any other things that were lost we should be aware of?

Edit2: lol, looking at the Torment changes thread, seems that the new "kittenizer" (language filter) is way more strict than the previous one, and in desperate need to finetuning

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Confused 1

• ArenaNet Staff
1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yeah, was wondering about that too. Adding some form of highlight to official threads and responses would be nice.

I've got a running list of "Check on this thing" and have added that to it. We're working through stuff that needs to be done as fast as we can.

In the meantime, check out the new and improved Dev Tracker. It's much nicer!

• Like 2

Didn't need a new forums software - I liked the old one. (And especially the older design.) Though I can understand that for performance reasons sometimes upgrades are necessary. (I guess there are no other major reasons to upgrade something that still worked great otherwise. Do not see how there are "new features" needed.)

The good thing though: The restructuring/renaming of the sub-boards. I think the festival one is new. And the stuff "instanced content" iirc previously was only targeted ad strikes/dungeons/raids - should now be usable for future other similar content without having to rename the forum or making new sub forums.

• Like 2

As to thread titles:  What do the stars mean?  What do the dots mean? 

Really, really need to work on that filter.  Why would it filter the letter combination 'd+a'? 

Oh, star might mean you've posted in that thread? 

Oh, dot means you've not visited the thread since it's been posted in, or maybe ever? 

I'm learning. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
filter

It'll take some getting used to and some learning curve, for sure, but my first impression is "this is neat."  Though I think we're getting less text visible at once now due to the big footers in each post, so there's going to be a lot of scrolling.

On your to-do list I suggest re-stickying some threads such as Gemstore Requests if that's not already in the works.  Otherwise people are going to just load up the Gemstore News thread with requests because they won't see the dedicated thread for it.  (One sticky should probably be a basic guide to the new forum features).

Edited by Donari.5237
  • Sad 1