Thoughts on new warrior changes?

Telgum.6071

On 6/3/2021 at 4:11 AM, TheBravery.9615 said:

i really don't understand anet's thought process in making skills so convoluted. Why not give explosive shell a standard aoe around the target instead of some bull kitten 'cone'? same goes with berserker hammer burst. A cone shaped aoe + leap = way too easy to overshoot your target and miss.

Why, indeed... The feedback on skills with cone effect have always been pretty bad, yet ANet persist...

On 6/3/2021 at 4:11 AM, TheBravery.9615 said:

i really don't understand anet's thought process in making skills so convoluted. Why not give explosive shell a standard aoe around the target instead of some bull kitten 'cone'? same goes with berserker hammer burst. A cone shaped aoe + leap = way too easy to overshoot your target and miss.

Yeah, hammer Primal burst aoe is very impractical to land on targets that are too close, especially when you need to place the aoe precisely and fast. It can easily completely miss a target if you place the aoe indicator like 1mm behind your character (if you try to land it on someone that is close). Making it 360° would be very nice improvement. Imagine hammer doing proper AoE damage in 2021 🙃

And I guess Anet imagined this new Explosive Shell skill's gameplay like "You shoot at group of enemies and the cone aoe hits enemies behind the target, applying vulnerability and cripple/immob to all of them, wow big, enemy group ded". Something that works on paper but not really in reality. We can't even see the aoe properly due to missing effect...

Also if you think about it, they could have played with this new skill much more, like making its effects different (or making some trait augumenting the skill), e.g. "Shrapnel Shell" which would also apply bleeding, "Incediary Shell" which would apply burning, "Smoke Shell" which would apply Blind, etc. But you get the idea how boring their change was, right?

regarding the explosive shell: In WvW, as long as this remains a projectile, it's not gonna hit anything anyway like 70% of the time. As long as we don't re-think physical projectiles and reflects, and the impact on WvW groups, it is going to stay irrelevant. The arms traitline would be a nice workaround, if it would offer anything beyond making skills that are utterly unusable, borderline usable.

I imagine in PvE the new rifle skills might be somewhat more fun, albeit not necessary. Mass tagging is still done better with the bow, thus making the rifle struggle in terms of being competitive here, too.

4 hours ago, nthmetal.9652 said:

regarding the explosive shell: In WvW, as long as this remains a projectile, it's not gonna hit anything anyway like 70% of the time. As long as we don't re-think physical projectiles and reflects, and the impact on WvW groups, it is going to stay irrelevant. The arms traitline would be a nice workaround, if it would offer anything beyond making skills that are utterly unusable, borderline usable.

I imagine in PvE the new rifle skills might be somewhat more fun, albeit not necessary. Mass tagging is still done better with the bow, thus making the rifle struggle in terms of being competitive here, too.

Real easy fix on this skill, rename to grenade shell:

Fire a grenade into the sky towards your target.

The grenade will be single target when fired but cause an AOE damage, the grenade will take 1s to land after firing.

The grenade will land at the location of the target at the time you pressed the skill.

The grenade will cause AoE damage upon landing.

Damage to be scaled higher in the middle of impact and lower to the edge.

These changes id love to see in the game, real radical changes that really change the way weapons function in the game, changes that keep the game fresh new and fun to play. When i heard that rifle had a new skill, I honestly thought it was going to have a really cool new animation and effect. nope. Copy and paste gun flame with an AOE impossible to plan with.

Its a real shame that not only are they slow to make changes but they miss the mark every time they do. What happened to 'frequent balance patches' ?

I used to love pvp in Gw2, used to love logging in to play it. Pretty sure I havent logged in to play the game for a long time now. Balance and Perfomance heavily hold back the game, so for me EoD is the games last chance for me.

funny how they doubled rifle skills and added all skill reset on top 

then made a single skill from straight line to AoE with no draw back

and rifle is still garbage, how long it will take for them to make rifle playable outside of burst skill

what rifle need is not aoes, it will just be garbage longbow anyway.

rifle 4 evade needs to be insta cast,

and needs to have more utility other then shooting bullet to deal damage and cripple for a proper 3rd skill.

but of course they are not giving anything ridiculous, like on other classes with range ground target aoe, stealth, port stuff.

for example, most realistic way of skill for warrior rifle, in order to fix.

make number 3 a aoe skill around warrior that does burst damage, with like 450 radius, to punish anyone who get close and with evade with no cast time.

rifle will be viable.

also make burst skills not useless in core/berserker.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, felix.2386 said:

funny how they doubled rifle skills and added all skill reset on top 

then made a single skill from straight line to AoE with no draw back

and rifle is still garbage, how long it will take for them to make rifle playable outside of burst skill

what rifle need is not aoes, it will just be garbage longbow anyway.

rifle 4 evade needs to be insta cast,

and needs to have more utility other then shooting bullet to deal damage and cripple for a proper 3rd skill.

but of course they are not giving anything ridiculous, like on other classes with range ground target aoe, stealth, port stuff.

for example, most realistic way of skill for warrior rifle, in order to fix.

make number 3 a aoe skill around warrior that does burst damage, with like 450 radius, to punish anyone who get close and with evade with no cast time.

rifle will be viable.

also make burst skills not useless in core/berserker.

Cause they refuse to raise it's damage numbers across the board. It it had ranger longbow type numbers it would be viable.

On 6/2/2021 at 7:14 PM, erapago.4387 said:

Comment from a newbie here: Explosive Shell and Fierce Shot feel so similar (now that Fierce Shot has pierce) that I can rarely tell the two apart. Explosive Shell feels weak as heck to use and I'm not sure what the tangible difference is between pierce and a cone.

expectation difference, before you think it as another auto attack to waste a skill slot, thats slightly better with vuln

but now its an aoe with a fancy name, so you expected better, but it's still just another auto attack that does nothing

1 hour ago, Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

Yes, and of the 2 AAs fierce shot still does less damage than long range shot's minimum damage.  That's how bad rifle is.

Every rifle skill does less damage then the equivalent longbow skill with the caveat that they can be used twice as often. Which is nothing mind you when each individual attack has a slow fire rate and deals 1k on a crit unless running a full meme build.

Both Explosive Shell and Brutal Aim hit for less damage than Hunter's Shot (the weakest LB skill mind you damage wise). Volley also has fewer shots per burst, which means that there is more time for someone to react and dodge the bulk of the rounds compared to Rapid Fire.

IMHO:

1. Make Crack Shot's effects affect every attack of the traited weapons, not just the AA. (I've said before that a 10-15% total damage modifier would be the sweet spot on the damage numbers. I stand by that statement). I do not think Rifle on the whole in regards to raw damage needs more than that considering that it pumps out vulnerability really well.
  2. Reduce Volley's Cast time to 1.75s to reflect the fewer shots fired. Any less would get broken by quickness.
  3. Make Explosive Shot a proper AoE that goes off at target foes location.
  4. Add a small lunge forward on Rifle Butt.

4 hours ago, Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

Yes, and of the 2 AAs fierce shot still does less damage than long range shot's minimum damage.  That's how bad rifle is.

AA only does more damage then rifle at max range, and volley out damage rapid fire in single use.

and explosive shell and brutal shot out damages hunter's shot in single use as well.

explosive shell is 500, brutal is 400 and hunter is 300,

rifle itself never lacked damage, if you really actually looked at range weapon only damage across classes.

Edited by felix.2386

what makes rifle bad is the fact that, 

1. rifle evades needs to be instant

2. longbow ranger uses sic em+wolf stance, but warrior doesnt allow that, ranger allows to run full offensive to buff range attack, because gs has 2 evade/block/cc/burst/stealth, in one kit.

3. you feel like rifle lacks damage, because it takes 30 adrenaline to use all damage, kill shot only does more damage then true shot on level 3, but level 3 requires 30 hits and warrior is super slow with hits.

range can just press button and buff skill damage on damage.

trueshot can be cast whenever ready.

and their damage modifiers are independant.

but warrior, you need 30 adrenaline to cast a skill, which delays your damage output, which is why warrior is never played in conquest teamfight because it will never be ready when damage is needed.

also the fact that damage modifier is linked to burst skill, so you cast burst skill to get buffed, but then you have to use burst skill again to benefit from the buff, but which requires another 30 adrenaline...

can be fixed, by making burst skill actually worth outside of level 3, like greatsword.

or seperate damage outside of burst skill, but they hard nerfed that by nerfing CC damage, and utility damage and most warrior weapon skills are garbage.

• Confused 1

On 6/5/2021 at 4:56 PM, felix.2386 said:

what makes rifle bad is the fact that, 

1. rifle evades needs to be instant

2. longbow ranger uses sic em+wolf stance, but warrior doesnt allow that, ranger allows to run full offensive to buff range attack, because gs has 2 evade/block/cc/burst/stealth, in one kit.

3. you feel like rifle lacks damage, because it takes 30 adrenaline to use all damage, kill shot only does more damage then true shot on level 3, but level 3 requires 30 hits and warrior is super slow with hits.

range can just press button and buff skill damage on damage.

trueshot can be cast whenever ready.

and their damage modifiers are independant.

but warrior, you need 30 adrenaline to cast a skill, which delays your damage output, which is why warrior is never played in conquest teamfight because it will never be ready when damage is needed.

also the fact that damage modifier is linked to burst skill, so you cast burst skill to get buffed, but then you have to use burst skill again to benefit from the buff, but which requires another 30 adrenaline...

can be fixed, by making burst skill actually worth outside of level 3, like greatsword.

or seperate damage outside of burst skill, but they hard nerfed that by nerfing CC damage, and utility damage and most warrior weapon skills are garbage.

Not going to argue whether old Kill Shot damage was balanced or not, but the burst preparation was worth it and you weren't completely kitten by having to go 100% glass build. Now, lvl 3 Kill Shot damage is sooo underwhelming, even as full glass cannon. Preparation needed for it and how glassy you have to be to reach meaningful Kill Shot damages makes it impractical. Rifle was usable because of Kill Shot's high spike damage and so rifle skills were secondary. But now, KS damage is just not worth the trouble while rifle skills still suck. I miss properly timed KS, it was so satisfying to land 😕

For whatever reason, Anet is super conservative (perhaps too conservative) with Warrior buffs. It feels like they believe there is a hair’s breadth between Warrior viability and Warrior being completely overpowered. Is there precedent for this? I mean (as it pertains to PvP) has Warrior ever possessed the power level of Scourge? Maybe Spellbreaker immediately following PoF release? Everything was busted though (outside of a select few), wasn’t it?

The fact is, Warrior has inherent trade-offs, specifically, telegraphed skills. Every burst we have, outside of maybe dagger, is very telegraphed. And don’t even get me started on CC. We have no teleports, no stealth, no Aegis or blind spam; we have sustain built around regeneration, timely cycling of defensive skills, and damage. Part of our sustain is damage pressure. The trade-off is that our damage pressure comes at the expense of being telegraphed, so in order to be successful on the class, you have to learn to bait opponents. Without good and consistent damage, what does Warrior have?

Edited by crewthief.8649
  • Confused 1

On 6/4/2021 at 8:50 PM, Infusion.7149 said:

Weird suggestion, why make warrior into an engineer? A main complaint on rifle was the speed timeliness of the attacks landing , so putting 1s delay on it would just bring that deficiency back.

I doubt that this is the case here. Why would the way rifle work now make warrior into an engineer?

The slow attacks on rifle also don't help its situation, by the way. Playing with it feels sluggish. Now if it would make up for that (and the fact that it gets reflected A LOT) by having great damage, that would be fine. But we don't have that kind of rifle. We have a warrior rifle with lackluster damage, with a slow attack pattern, with a high chance to be completely reflected.

All these things lead to rifle being not impressive at all in reality.

Even in PvE, warrior clearly still has better weapon choices than rifle.