Upcoming changes to Torment and Resistance

Just now, slave to the grind.5028 said:

You're going to have to explain this, because if you mean what I think you do, my next question is going to be how much of either game mode you actually play.

I don't think 'how much' you play prevents someone from understanding that taking less kittenmage when moving favours the people defending against the attack applying torment to them. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, here is what torment currently does in competetive gaming:   1. Your usual defense is mobility and using terrain. Ergo, your usual defense is directly related to your skill as a player

OK, and now it's not ... Anet designs the game, not you. Lots of things change from how they were originally intended. There isn't a right or wrong here. It's just how Anet decides it works. The new w

Except the fact that Anet changed it means that it your interpretation is off.  It makes no sense for you to apply your intrepretation of how the game works and why to say how Anet changed it is wrong

3 minutes ago, slave to the grind.5028 said:

You're going to have to explain this, because if you mean what I think you do, my next question is going to be how much of either game mode you actually play.

I play it usually on a kittenily basis for the PvE part they explained it already what I mean is usually you run around in sPvP/WvW and this helps against it.

Edit : I know this is not fair but it less impact full then the rest of the changes

Edited by Lord of the Fire.6870

Torment was designed to punish opponents for trying to cover the distance while kiting. Now it provides far less threat. In this current form, at least have torment inflict a non-hp based condition if the target moves. Higher hp loss if stationary, but lower hp loss while moving  with a chance of slow, chill, cripple for 2 seconds while moving., this would force players into the choice moving or taking the hp loss. 

**edit**

adding a function like the red light/green light boss mechanic would also work as well, but cause increased hp loss instead of blind. as it stands, the new version would encourage players to rapidly hit "asdwasdawdas"
to reduce the effect. 

changed instances of damage to hp loss due to filter

Edited by Delgotta.3817
  • Like 1

Having Resistance completely counter the over-performance of conditions was an appropriate function.

Even considering condition cleanse, there won't be enough defense against conditions after the patch.

The patch feels like it's full of straight nerfs to average players.

8 minutes ago, Lord of the Fire.6870 said:

I play it usually on a kittenily basis for the PvE part they explained it already what I mean is usually you run around in sPvP/WvW and this helps against it.

Okay, here is what torment currently does in competetive gaming:

1. Your usual defense is mobility and using terrain. Ergo, your usual defense is directly related to your skill as a player.

2. The only people standing still are the people using siege. They are already highly vulnerable to being picked off due to this.

3. Torment currently offers the choice of either moving a lot and taking less kittenmage from subsequent attacks, or remaining still and letting your torment tick down. It is a direct counter to high mobility classes which they desperately require.

What torment inverted does is this:

1. There are no longer any drawbacks to playing insane mobility builds whatsoever.

2. The people standing still using siege are going to get wiped even harder. I'm not sure how this makes it better for the defending party. Siege is your primary defense against a hostile zerg.

If you mean node defense in pvp, if you're standing still during that, well, that's your own problem and your own funeral anyway. Usually, you're moving around on the node.

3. Any gameplay benefit of torment has been removed and any class with torment would now be better off applying a different condition instead in pvp/wvw.

Edited by slave to the grind.5028
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
30 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Having Resistance completely counter the over-performance of conditions was an appropriate function.

Even considering condition cleanse, there won't be enough defense against conditions after the patch.

I think it's easy to forget that If you want maximum reduction to condition effects, it's not something outside of the proposed changes to the class. The ease that Resolution is going to be accessible to Revenant is real. Between Retribution and Corruption, we will still have the ability to reduce impact of conditions permanently and if traited properly, flat damage reduction and heals for while we have these two boons on top of that. That's frankly really absurd and I would bet at some point ... it gets the massive nerf. 

Even with all that mitagation ... you still have whole trait line left to choose. The amount that good stuff is condensed in the Revenant trait design is above anything other classes have. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

Actually I really understand only half of it with so much kitten in every sentence xD

( I noticed my words also got replaced)

What really strikes me is that they do this 6 months before we get an new add-on I mean balance is okay but changing core mechanics should have been hold until then.

5 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Well they pushed condi builds hard in all game modes but they also nerfs Torments, condi chrono and condi guards in every variant. That this feels like a nerf to an Average player I can understand the  condi guards build are super easy while e.g condi weaver is so hard not even 0.1% oft the player base can play them while power are played at least from some amount of players.(which get a slight nerf too)

This really what Arean.NET is doing the last 2-3 years nerf the meta push new build sometimes this right condi chrono, cFB and Soulbeast are/were too powerful in PvE . When you average things on this is kinda okay but often Arena.NET show they don't know what the meta really is and they don't know how part of it interact with each.

Balancing is complex the point is when people get pushed out of the meta with their build especially when they see people acting jealous on the board making suggesting which hurt the builds an then the developers listing to them . People let this do to them 2-3 max and then leave the game.

This and the lack of content has gw2 costed a lot of players in the last 2-3 years . There are sides where you can read this 2015 Gw 2 was on place 2 on all MMOs now it is  on place 10 . People will claim this has to do with the age of the game but well I see Runesacpe on place 5 far ahead of Gw2

2 hours ago, slave to the grind.5028 said:

3. Torment currently offers the choice of either moving a lot and taking less kittenmage from subsequent attacks, or remaining still and letting your torment tick down. It is a direct counter to high mobility classes which they desperately require.

In theory yes. In practice maybe in some borderline cases. In reality when you're locked in combat, when it actually matters, you move. And mitigate torment some other way like any other condition.

So in the end in reality torment in pvp modes is just like bleeding or burning. And this reversal will not change much, just a flat nerf unless they adjust number. 

If they really wanted to make torment have more impact in relation to movement it should be much more potent over shorter duration but also much much scarcer. Like a long CD utility skill that really makes you take a decision whether you will move or not. Now condi rev or even condi mirage spew out so much torment that it doesn't matter because it is constantly reapplied.

Edited by Cuks.8241
  • Like 1

if it continues like that we will return to GW1 where we could not move to launch the skills maybe in the next extension... And then to be sure to come back to the same point maybe we will remove the jump to laugh a little

Yes it would be a solution but no, because the player had the choice to move and take more damage or try to find another way out. Knowing that as said in the video, originally it was based on mobility and GW2 want dynamic. I don't think PvE really needed this change. In PvP I don't really see the opponent waiting nicely on the spot to take more damage.

If really this is necessary for the expansion to do it before at the risk of destroying everything? I don't understand

Necro and Rev will race to see who are now the kings of killing siege!

Mark your calenders bois May 11th, the record for fastest ram kills will be broken that day!