May 11 Guild Wars 2 Skills and Balance Update Preview

Fire Attunement.9835

3 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

In this update, we're preparing for Cantha ... by positioning existing builds as new potential sources of alacrity and quickness in group play.

Well... Mesmer already has an Alacrity spec that has been all but forgotten about in Fractals... Chronomancer. What if you guys increased the AoE of Chrono wells to 360 to be in-line with Alacrens? Maybe people would consider a second option again for that team slot.

Then, you could do one better by also giving (potential full up-time) Alacrity to another support spec that is not Mesmer or Revenant; and possibly increase class diversity in 5-man content.

• Like 1

Regarding Discipline changes:

Axe Mastery is pretty much required for ... Axe wielding Berserker Warriors. 

If you want to make other train-lines viable for Berserkers, you could make one of other weapons (1hs/2hs/mace) a competitive DPS alternative.

EDIT: Removed crit cap stuff. I read the notes wrong. My bad.

Edited by JSmooth.7654
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

The Exposed effect that is placed on many boss enemies when their defiance bar is broken has been adjusted. It now increases power damage taken by 30% and condition damage taken by 100%.

Please, please, please reconsider this change. Condi Firebrand is already by far the strongest spec for 100CM, for other fractals it is currently only trailing power comps with well-coordinated good players in kill times. This change (in combination with the massive nerfs to Soulbeast burst damage and One Wolf Pack/Soulcleave's Summit) will make Condi Firebrand the strongest spec in all Fractals including CMs. It will cause class-stacking of 4 CFB in combination with one alacrity source with CFB also being one of the most forgiving and supportive dps spec making mechanics completely trivial through their aegis spam. The high-end community will also suffer heavily from this and might actually completely die until the expansion launches.

On a completely unrelated note I would love to hear an explanation for the power Weaver nerf. It is barely played in PvE, is already middle of the pack and is probably the most unforgiving power spec atm. I do not see how any of this warrants a nerf.

It's good that Condi Weaver has been buffed as it has an even more punishing playstyle but the Power Weaver nerf baffles me.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, alx.6792 said:

Please, please, please reconsider this change. Condi Firebrand is already by far the strongest spec for 100CM, for other fractals it is currently only trailing power comps with well-coordinated good players in kill times. This change (in combination with the massive nerfs to Soulbeast burst damage and One Wolf Pack/Soulcleave's Summit) will make Condi Firebrand the strongest spec in all Fractals including CMs. It will cause class-stacking of 4 CFB in combination with one alacrity source with CFB also being one of the most forgiving and supportive dps spec making mechanics completely trivial through their aegis spam. The high-end community will also suffer heavily from this and might actually completely die until the expansion launches.

On a completely unrelated note I would love to hear an explanation for the power Weaver nerf. It is barely played in PvE, is already middle of the pack and is probably the most unforgiving power spec atm. I do not see how any of this warrants a nerf.

It's good that Condi Weaver has been buffed as it has an even more punishing playstyle but the Power Weaver nerf baffles me.

Truer words were never be spoken.

24 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

No more so than they are now. It just gives one less reason to take Discipline.

No it's not one less reason ... it's one MORE. Giving Warriors FH baseline IS the reason that would make Discipline more attractive to any warrior build than it is now. 

1. In the case of current warrior builds using Discipline, obviously that traitline isn't being chosen ONLY because of FH, the synergies are too good and no one will have a problem welcoming a new trait in the place of FH spot either.

2. In the case of current warrior builds not using Discipline, having many traits that have synergy with FH IS going to make it more attractive as a choice. 

We aren't going to play this game ... there isn't any case where Fh baseline makes Discipline less attractive. That's just some rhetoric people say to justify an unreasonable idea to themselves. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dahkeus.8243 said:

A trait that makes torment deal its increased damage on feared targets might be a good change to offset some of what you describe here.

Although it might be a bit too strong, they also could add something like Fear now also Immobilizes for X seconds to something like Insidious Disruption. 

Would still be weird with Reapers Chill on Fear being a thing already, but idk, this whole class design is majorly screwed now. 

I was also thinking about Fear making people cower in place rather than forced movement, but then that's just Immob/Stun.  

Really feels like this patch was designed by people who don't really know or made the original game systems. 

Similarly, PvP just had it's defensive Amulets removed to counter a emerging bunker meta, just for a damaging boon to be removed, another 30% damage reduction boon to be introduced, and the main profession/spec that counter's boons being deleted. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

No it's not one less reason ... it's one MORE. Giving Warriors FH baseline IS the reason that would make Discipline more attractive to any warrior build than it is now. 

Yup, the biggest FH synergies for warrior are in disci spec anyways, just adding FH as baseline doesn't really do much for build diversity. Give FH as baseline and now you really need to pick disci to make full use of it anyways. Doesn't seem like a solution to ANYTHING (but it's a random buff, so... That's about it I guess).

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

1. In the case of current warrior builds using Discipline, obviously that traitline isn't being chosen ONLY because of FH, the synergies are too good and no one will have a problem welcoming a new trait in the place of FH spot either.

2. In the case of current warrior builds not using Discipline, having many traits that have synergy with FH IS going to make it more attractive as a choice. 

We aren't going to play this game ... there isn't any case where Fh baseline makes Discipline less attractive. That's just some rhetoric people say to justify an unreasonable idea to themselves. 

I'm not playing any games. Frankly FH is pretty much the only reason I even consider Discipline unless I am running Axe. Everything else in there can be compensated for outside of burst cd reduction, which I can live and fight well without.

26 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I'm not playing any games. Frankly FH is pretty much the only reason I even consider Discipline unless I am running Axe. Everything else in there can be compensated for outside of burst cd reduction, which I can live and fight well without.

Then you are the exception because the good stuff in Discipline isn't a 5 second weapon swap due the very few weapon skills with significant game play impact that fall between the 5-9 second CD range ... it's the 2 other free minor traits and the master trait in Discipline that procs on weapon swapping. 

I mean, again, what you consider the only reason to take Discipline being FH isn't a reason to globally apply it as baseline. Basically what you are telling me is that you just want that one trait for free without being limited to trait choices ... and somehow that makes FH baseline a good idea to you. I'm pretty certain not wanting to make choices and asking for free stuff is some of the worst reasons to implement something. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

6 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Then you are the exception because the good stuff in Discipline isn't a 5 second weapon swap due the very few weapon skills with significant game play impact that fall between the 5-9 second CD range ... it's the 2 other free minor traits and the master trait in Discipline that procs on weapon swapping. 

I mean, again, what you consider the only reason to take Discipline being FH isn't a reason to globally apply it as baseline. Basically what you are telling me is that you just want that one trait for free without being limited to trait choices ... and somehow that makes FH baseline a good idea to you. I'm pretty certain not wanting to make choices and asking for free stuff is some of the worst reasons to implement something. 

I'm not going to disagree or agree on any point. We all have different play styles, but there is a reason why FH has been begged by warriors to become baseline since 2013 and it has nothing to do with my play style preferences.

23 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I'm not going to disagree or agree on any point. We all have different play styles, but there is a reason why FH has been begged by warriors to become baseline since 2013 and it has nothing to do with my play style preferences.

Right ... so then what I expect is that people don't base their ideas of why something should be baseline because of how they do or do not personally regard the trait, it's traitline and how it impacts their playstyle. That has no place in an objective discussion about how the game should change. 

The fact is this ... making FH baseline does NOT make Discipline a less attractive traitline to choose. There is NO argument that makes sense on that idea because there is no player that cares about their build performance who is ONLY choosing a traitline because of one minor trait. 

Again, the value of FH BY ITSELF is dependent on the number of weapon skills that have CD's between 5 and 9 seconds. That's not very many, you are limited to what they are because of only having two weapons to swap between and whatever those skills are arguably don't have as significant an impact on gameplay to make anyone only choose Discipline because of FH. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

2 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Right ... so then what I expect is that people don't base their ideas of why something should be baseline because of how they do or do not personally regard the trait, it's traitline and how it impacts their playstyle. That has no place in an objective discussion about how the game should change. 

The fact is this ... making FH baseline does NOT make Discipline a less attractive traitline. There is NO argument that makes sense because there is no player that cares about their build who is ONLY choosing a traitline because of one minor trait. 

Your emphatic assertion does not mean that 5s baseline weapon swap becomes more powerful for discipline as those traits can only be gained from taking discipline and offer the exact same benefit as the do currently if FH were made baseline. It is non discipline based builds that benefit, not discipline, and thus yields more build diversity which we should all want regardless of class.

Doing the text equivalent of shouting at me as a form of asserting your position has only served to weaken your position not strengthen it. That said we can politely agree to disagree and accept that we have a difference of opinion.

7 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Your emphatic assertion does not mean that 5s baseline weapon swap becomes more powerful for discipline as those traits can only be gained from taking discipline and offer the exact same benefit as the do currently if FH were made baseline. It is non discipline based builds that benefit, not discipline, and thus yields more build diversity which we should all want regardless of class.

Hold on here. My point is that making FH baseline does NOT make Discipline a less attractive traitline for any warrior build as you claimed. It's either AS attractive as it is now or moreso for the reasons I provided. It can't be less with the exception for players that care so little for what their build is that anything goes. In that case, they aren't complaining FH isn't baseline in the first place.

Therefore, any claim that FH being baseline is 'ok' because it makes Discipline less attractive is wrong. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

Mesmer, changes to chaos line and staff seem interesting. I dunno if this will make mirage pve optimal. Confusion is typically the issue with mirage and since no changes there... it could deal a bit more damage, but it’s viability will not change.

Guardian, the changes to zeal is a step in the right direction. Not sure the virtues changes are sufficient. The changes to concentrations is nice, and only 6 years late, LMAO. LB is primarily a pvp weapon. It lives and dies by DS. The other changes don’t mean or do jack. The weapon is still garbage. As for resistance change to resolution, is it a good idea to give the class with best condi cleansing also high uptime on condi damage reduction? This is half backed work. You needed to rework all the guardian traits and damage systems tied to retaliation. Overall, mediocre.

Warrior SB change, again, won’t do much for pve. No changes here. 

For a patch that has been 10 month in the making and preceding an expansion, this extremely weak.

Constructive criticism attempt. Warrior main here. Wall of text ahead, beware.

Warrior Rifle

I felt like the rifle was already in a good place. It serves a purpose of a temporary weaponswap when you're forced to leave melee range for whatever reason. You use some #3s and some F1s and swap back to melee. You buffed it even more in this patch. I know many disagree with me and welcome these changes. It certainly won't do any harm. No complaints here.

The worst skill on a rifle - #4 - remains unaddressed, though. The forced evasion that was added to it has never felt good, and never will - you cannot time evasion skills properly if they have a casttime. Missclicking that skill was always a giant pain in the kitten. Just remove evasion outright, make it grant 50 endurance instead, and let the player decide what to do with them and when.

Power Berserker from PvE perspective

I have no idea what you were trying to achieve with the rest of the changes. Everything that's written in the blurb preceeding the list of changes is great. Your goals are admirable. Problem is: every change you made does the opposite of what you were trying to do.

You admit yourself that Berserker in a great place, and in PvE context it's almost true. If there are any changes that need to be made, it's to differentiate banner warriors from DPS warriors better. You tried to achieve that, but you failed. Let's try to figure out why:

we're making improvements to Tactics to make it a more viable alternative to Discipline

This will NEVER happen. Both power and condi warriors rely on it way too much:

Axe Mastery is absolutely vital to power berserkers, they simply don't work without it, at all, and I truly hope I don't need to explain why.

Fast Hands is absolutely vital to condi berserkers, without it there will be a gigantic amount of downtime when all your skills are on cooldown and you're forced to just autoattack for a while.

Doubled Standards is a must-have trait in any group scenario where banners will be present. No matter if you're the one planting banners or not. The boost to stats is too good to pass up, and there are no viable alternatives in that tier: Destruction of the Empowered works only in solo context, because in groups you want all boons to be stripped since other players don't benefit from them if they aren't warriors too; Brawler's Recovery is a self-sustain trait that's pointless in any scenario where you have a dedicated healer.

Besides, Doubled Standards was NEVER a support trait. You just made it a support trait. In a dps-focused traitline. You claim to want to fix the blurry line between banner supports and dps, yet you do the exact opposite: turn a previously dps-oriented trait in dps-oriented line into a support trait, while for some reason continuing to buff dps-oriented traits in support-oriented traitline (Tactics). You muddy the waters even further.

Reduced the number of allied targets affected from 10 to 5. The Discipline trait Doubled Standards now increases the number of allied targets from 5 to 10.

The change to banner targets is an absolute failure and accomplishes nothing of what you wanted. What you will achieve instead is force people off Strength and Arms traitlines into Tactics. You WILL NOT succeed in replacing Discipline without a major rework, it's too vital for every build to work. And nobody asked you for it in the first place.

Discipline will continue to be absolutely mandatory for every warrior in every scenario. In raids, I promise you: nobody will be bothered to get 2 non-discipline banner warriors for full banner coverage, nobody wants the return of HoT "mirror comp" meta. In fractals: warriors are expected to CC, the lack of Fast Hands will obliterate your damage output if you'll be locked into maces for so long. Maybe you thought that with this change you will only be affecting raid warriors, but I assure you it is not the case.

Now, let's talk about the other problem you introduced with the nerf to stat bonuses from Doubled Standards.

Doubled Standards: Reduced bonus effect from banners from 100% to 50%.

Power warriors have a big problem: it's called Precision. Their build absolutely relies on capping crit chance to work: any missed crit with axe wrecks the smoothness of the rotation. Warriors have NO traits that increase precision, so they have to rely on gear (assassin's pieces instead of berserker's, sigils and rune sets that give precision/crit chance) and buffs of other classes to reach 100%. It's already a problem.

With the nerf to Doubled Standards, you exacerbate this problem further. They not only lose 50 of other useful dps stats from the trait (power, ferocity), but also lose 50 precision, which forces them to re-allocate stats on gear (take more assassin's pieces), which further lowers the amount of power they have, more than you intended with this change. This is an unnecessarily harsh nerf.

Axe Mastery: This trait no longer grants additional ferocity for a second equipped axe.

This is just a simple damage nerf. If that's what you wanted to achiev with this change - you suceeded. I just hope the other power dps classes are equally nerfed, otherwise you're just further lowering the dps of a build that FOR ONCE was well balanced.

Warrior's Sprint: Increased damage bonus from 7% to 10% in PvE only.

I don't know what you were trying to achieve with these. Make up for the stat reduction elsewhere? I don't think this will be nearly enough, but I'm not good at theorycrafting with imaginary numbers.

All banners are now gaining light combo fields, giving all warrior specializations some access to condition cleanse combos.

Kind of useless, considering all warriors have access to "Shake It Off" which accomplishes the same purpose. If banner fields are there to remove the need to the last remaining utility slot to it - that won't work either, because warriors only have access to blast finishers with longbow (so only condi builds) or with warhorn (won't see widespread use until you deliver a proper support-oriented elite spec). Combo field prioritization is also a big issue that needs to be addressed eventually. Banner fields will be useless if they need to be planted away from the group and then deliberately blasted there.

However, this all becomes even worse when we take into account...

Condi Berserker from PvE perspective

Condi berserker has always been outperforming power berserker in dps output. While power berserker receives an extensive amount of nerfs in this patch, the only change that affects condi berserker is the 50 condi damage stat reduction from Doubled Standards. This will make the already disproportional rift between the dps output of these two specs even bigger. It will pretty much lock all warriors who want to play dps into playing condi, regardless of the encounter design. I don't think this is what you wanted to achieve.

BTW, please fix the bug with Crack Shot being unintentionally nerfed in PvE when that change was intended for PvP only. Slightly more on wiki.

PvE Spellbreaker

I don't play this spec, so I cannot comment on its changed, but even I can recognize that the nerf to Peak Performance accomplishes the opposite of what you were trying to achieve here. You claim to want improve spellbreaker's damage. Yet core warrior and spellbreaker are the only specs that make use of Peak Performance buff, and you're nefing it now. Once again the implementation of a change clashes with your goal.

Summary

Almost all the changes you made either don't work, or achieve the opposite of what you wanted. You will not improve build variety with them, you will only reduce it, by introducing changes that clash with the innate purpose of the traitlines.

I beg you to reconsider releasing these changes in the next patch. Warriors have always struggled with class identity, being always considered the bottom feeders unable to perform DPS role and relegated solely to support. 2 years ago you finally managed to change this. But even 2 years later the community still struggles to properly recognize this. What you're doing in this patch puts at risk all the years of effort that was put into bringing this class to the spot it currently is in. Your goals are admirable, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Edited by ZEUStiger.3590
  • Like 2

Exposed buff: This change looks right now pretty terrible, will skew things so hard in favor of high bursting condi classes in fractals, especially with all the ashes of the just pre stacking going on aswell. I'd suggest to atleast keep condi on 50% like it is now, or make both 30%.

Holosmith: The nerfs are fine and not too harsh (~2.5% dps loss), but there is 1 thing that I'd personally like to see changed. This is entering forge without it interrupting your current action. Right now entering forge is clunky, not engi-like. It doesn't behave like a kit-swap, and also not like a weapon swap which makes it confusing. There was a while where entering forge would not interrupt your actions and it was so much fun playing holo in that time, so much more versatile and fun to play, and I know alot of engineer players who view this the same way. Unfortunately this got patched out at some point, but it really should come back to the state it was back then (and how it should have been from the start in my opinion).

Firebrand: I think the damage output of firebrand will be fine as it is like this, both zeal and virtues seem to be decent options to go for with each their benefits. Something that does concern me still is the ease at which firebrands can give out quickness without a dps loss by using the quickness on heal trait. I think that it would be a good change to swap the trait quickfire and this quickness on heal trait around so when you want to take this trait you lose quite some damage. A slight buff to quickfire might be needed to keep quickbrand a viable option when comparing it to boon chrono.

Short feedback on some other changes:

You absolutely killed boonthief with this patch, you removed the one and only reason to bring it over other dps/support hybrids or healers. I sincerely hope that the person who made this change realizes that boonthief was created by you, on purpose. You fully control how where it is used by controlling which enemies yield Detonate Plasma on steal. That skill was deliberately placed on certain bosses and mobs to artificially create build diversity, and it succeeded. You could run boonthief, but you still could run regular arrangement of supports. Now, since you need 2 of them, this becomes no different group-composition-wise from the same setup that's used on every other boss, that will yield better collective dps than 2 boonthieves, while providing almost the same assortment of buffs players truly care about.

Exposed buff is a disaster for fractals. There is already a long running issue of firebrands being extremely overrepresented due to their kit providing them with an extensive amount of useful tools: quickness, aegis, stability, burst condi application etc. Many groups right now already ask for a full or almost-full group of firebrands, be it 5 condi firebrands, 4 condi and 1 healer, or 4 condi and 1 alacrigade, or 3 condi, 1 healer, 1 alacrigade. This setup trivializes fractal encounters too much. Players were hoping that this issue will be addressed in the patch. What you did instead is make it way worse.

Perhaps you expected that this will open doors to other condi specs in fractals, but this will not be the case. Firebrands are the leaders at burst application of condis. By the time other classes will still be ramping up, firebrands will be breaking the defiance bar and launching into stratosphere dps-wise. Firebrand burst needs to be addressed before the change to Exposed can go thorough. Please revert it before you make fractals an even more toxic and elitist place to be in than they already are.

And speaking of firebrand bursts. The change to mantras will essentially give firebrands (and mesmers) one extra charge to use. In raids this won't make much of a difference due to long fights, but in fractals, especially with plentiful cooldown resets from singularities, this essentially gives them one extra charge of manta for every fight. One extra source of aegis, burning, quickness and whatnot. This will increase their popularity even further.

Edited by ZEUStiger.3590
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, supreme.3602 said:

Give me one good reason why Elements of Rage for Weaver was nerfed.

I'll wait.

I think they are afraid weaver or tempest will replace the sould beast for burst enconter like KC, tempest power nerf really feel like this since his burst is even stronger than sb.

(don't mean i like the change but i can see where it's going,, maybe it's time to learn weaver condi rota with the buff on it)

The boon and corruption changes are definitely a step in the right direction! But please, can we get some more meaningful changes to WvW? Meta is becoming stale and these do very little, if anything at all to adjust or change the current state of the game. If you're going to push out events where the playerbase is going to flock to the game mode, might as well get some meaningful data out of it!

Don't be afraid to dream big, please expand on the changes and do a bit more. Druid, Holosmith, Elementalist (and both Elite Specs), Mirage, and Reaper all could use help.

There is no reason to go Druid over Firebrand or Scrapper, how about we expand on some boons they supply or buff their cleanse/raw healing?
Holosmith has no place currently, why don't we have it push out some more melee oriented control?
Elementalist has almost no place in the current meta. Tempest got butchered with the changes from Boonshare being shrunk down to 5, that it doesn't offer enough to make it worth looking at. And Core Elementalist and Weaver don't have enough sustain/durability to even be a concept as a meta class.
Mirage desperately needs it's second dodge back in WvW, I think this alone would bring back a lot of play- especially after the alacrity buffs.
Reaper doesn't provide enough in general. Sure it's tanky, but wells have been gutted pretty hard from their former glory and their melee DPS isn't consistent enough to consider over other classes.

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Hold on here. My point is that making FH baseline does NOT make Discipline a less attractive traitline for any warrior build as you claimed. It's either AS attractive as it is now or moreso for the reasons I provided. It can't be less with the exception for players that care so little for what their build is that anything goes. In that case, they aren't complaining FH isn't baseline in the first place.

Therefore, any claim that FH being baseline is 'ok' because it makes Discipline less attractive is wrong. 

Except you didn't offer any valid reasons other than hitting your shift key.

Current: Discipline offers 5s Weapon swap, 2 might on weapon swap, 5 adrenaline on weapon swap, 1 condi removed on weapon swap in addition to non weapon swap related traits.

What I proposed: 5s weapon swap baseline. Discipline now offers 2 might on weapon swap, 5 adrenaline on weapon swap, 1 condi removed on weapon swap, in addition to some new nebulous trait that may or or may not involve weapon swap.

This takes away from Discipline and instead adds that 5s weapon swap to all warrior builds regardless of traitline chosen. Are there other reasons to take Discipline still? Sure, Burst Mastery, Axe Mastery, Double Standards (lol now), and Warrior's Sprint. Those are independent of weapon swap though, and the other weapon swap dependent traits function exactly the same as before. Ergo, Discipline nor it's traits have been increased in value. The new nebulous minor trait could just as easily be the 5 adrenaline from Versatile Power split into 2 minor traits rather than something new, but in fairness whatever this new nebulous trait is cannot even be considered in the discussion and Discipline has been reduced in value as a traitline and less mandatory than it would be now. It would still be mandatory for Banners or axe builds though for obvious reasons.

26 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Except you didn't offer any valid reasons other than hitting your shift key.

Except that's not true ... I DID explain why FH baseline doesn't make Discipline less attractive. You even acknowledge exactly the minor traits that would be that reason. The presence of those minor traits are exactly what makes Discipline as attractive or MORE so as it is now if FH is made baseline ... and you KNOW that to be true as well. 

I'm not into some side approach you have to stray from the truth of the point being made here. The claim that FH should be baseline because it makes Discipline less attractive choice is simply NOT true. 

Edited by Obtena.7952