Mesmer patch notes?

Veprovina.4876

Thoughts?

I'm very torn about them lol, on one hand, it's ehh... ok i guess, on another, more nerfs and again "tradeokitten" (new filter is a bit overzelaous it seems, you know what i meant) that just overall make the thing a nerf...

Mirage still has one dodge, and it's still going to be useless in WvW even with staff boon thing because, you need dodges to activate it - which mirage still doesn't have so all that alacrity and might won't be useful at all...

One step forward, two steps back? Accurate?

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Will just paste what I put on reddit:

On further reflection of the staff ambush alacrity change, while I can see what they're going for, and am happy for some mirage improvements (even if it hasn't gone to the extent of modifying kittenters like chrono, and dealing with the crude 1 dodge nerf in pvp/wvw) I can agree with those saying thematically it makes no sense when Chrono is supposed to be the "time" spec and mirage the "space" spec (spatial confusion, movement/no movement etc). Of all the potential bukitten this one is very strange, no idea how they decided mirage having almost spammable alacrity on ambush is fitting of the concept, when chrono exists.

Weirdly last year I was casually messing around with full seraph in open world on staff chaos mirage and certainly the boon stacking among other things was interesting - though now that staff clones no longer buff boons with the ambush it looks like a flat aoe boon pulse from the mirage on ambush cast. Glad I saved the gear though imagine EoD will bring some better stat sets in any case.

Curious if you could cancel cast the staff ambush just to get the boons (not sure if boons will be applied on cast start or end, given it seems to no longer be part of the projectile as the boons have been removed from clone ambushes)?

But alacrity is interesting for the nerfed deception cooldowns - bringing down jaunt, IA, heal especially.

On the other hand the normal staff auto change is kind of weird - I thought they wanted confusion to be a burst application, short duration - but now clones and you can spam it on auto subsequent hits? And further to that it's a bit odd that the first hit is torment - vs other players not sure how good torment is going to be there, almost like you want to target something else first and have the second hit hit the enemy - and removing bleed/burning is very weird from the auto, but keeping it on ambush...

From the previous design in the beginning staff ambush had confusion - would have made sense to put it back on there instead and leave the auto.

The torment changes I'm not sure until testing - seems to be mkittenive nerf vs other players, and may push away from IH if eg axe ambush isn't going to be all that great unless ccing a target. Will be interesting to see how that works out (though seems like a pve buff in many cases).

Chaos changes look nice though, especially the regen synergy with Renewing Oasis.

And staff auto cast time improvements are really nice - shame they didn't state the ambush cast was improved in the same way - could do with tightening up as it is a bit slow to fire/clunky.

But blind on chaos armour cast... wow this is awesome - and 20s traited cd plus alacrity. I can see some play with that, Blinding Dissipation, Torch, Signet of Midnight and Ineptitude.

A side note - the scepter/sword block looks like a fantastic quality of life - looking forward to how that plays, as it's always been a bit awkward with the small displacement.

Single best change though is downed skill 2... my god this has been too many years, finally having it ground targeted is amazing! 😮

Overall though while finally after what, 14 months it's nice to see some decently large patch for mesmer (ok not counting the chrono rewind patch middle of last year, restoring self kittenter which shouldn't have been removed in the first place...), I'm not sure how much of it was on point or missing the mark given there are still a number of (personally more important) things not addressed (one dodge...). It does seem a bit of not quite sure what they are going for here.

How come buff (s) plural (opposite of nerf) is censored on here? Kind of inconvenient.

lol, and mkittenive is censored. Seems a bit over zealous.

omg kittenters is also censored... Do we have to just call them F skills from now! :classic_laugh:

8 minutes ago, Yoci.2481 said:

Where are patch notes?

Edited by Curunen.8729
Bukitten gets censored?!?
  • Like 4

Chronomancer has been steeply overperforming in a kittenmage role in all content, leading to an environment in which the best way to tackle almost any challenge is to throw more Chronomancers at it.

The above is from the patch notes notes.

In what content do you see players throwing "more Chrono's at it"....Raiding?  Does Chrono actually have a place at the top of any other Meta?

I do not understand where ANet feels Mesmer and Chrono should fit into the different Metas.  These changes do promote moving to Mirage (which is a good thing, more diversity) but Chrono variants haven't felt overpowered when compared to other professions.  Chrono has simply felt more playable than Mirage and nerfing the dmg of Chrono promotes what?

I am interested in playing around with the builds once it is live and we can see the actual values in play.  I think there might be some good stuff happening and I do not think the dmg nerf to Chrono is that big of a deal, it is really just confusing and perhaps the other changes will bump up some of the lost DPS or Utility?

Quick hits: 

• I like the changes to Mantra's
  • Congrats to Engineers for taking half our Quickness
  • Chaos and Staff changes look like some fun

Here is hoping the next eSpec brings something good to the table.

• Like 1

Here's my take on it:

Chronomancer has been steeply overperforming in a kittenmage role in all content, leading to an environment in which the best way to tackle almost any challenge is to throw more Chronomancers at it.

So Raids are now "all content"? FInally the "all chronomancer" kittenmage dealer WvW squads are history! Thank you for saving us Anet! 🙄

Deception (Downed Skill 2): This skill is now ground targeted while on land and no longer displaces the player when summoning a clone while underwater.

Ok i guess, but i don't get the displacing thing underwater, isn't that the point? I guess they're revamping stuff for water combat? Idk...

Arcane Thievery: This skill now requires a target to activate.

Yeah, cool. Should have been there from the beginning but better late than never i guess. What if a skill like stealth breaks targeting? Does it go on full cooldown or a reduced one? I guess full, but anyway, nice change, albeit just a bugfix, it's a plus all in all.

Time Warp: Reduced cooldown from 180 seconds to 120 seconds. Reduced duration from 10 seconds to 5 seconds. This skill now applies 1 second of quickness and slow per pulse, for a total of six pulses over a 5-second duration.

Ok, making core abilities more useful, plus. How useful? Eh...

Mantras: Mantras no longer need to be prepared before use. They regenerate ammunition normally.

How much charges do we get? Cause 2 charges with weak AF effects aren't going to impress anyone. It's good that there's no charge though anymore. We'll see how this works, i'm interested.

Sword

Illusionary Riposte: This skill no longer displaces the player when summoning a clone.
Illusionary Counter: This skill no longer displaces the player when summoning a clone.

And here we have a clkittenic "why is this a thing" "bruh" moment. Seriously? Was this bothering anyone? This was OP? Why is it bad if the player is displaced, i thought that was the point of those skills. Wouldn't it be better to displace the player and switch targeting to the clone? What are clones for if you're doing this type of "balancing"? Just remove them if we can't hide behind them. What even is this? A buff or a nerf? I'm confused.

Staff

Winds of Chaos: Increased projectile speed by 25%. Increased casting speed by 0.1 second. Lowered aftercast animation lock by 0.2 seconds. Fixed an inconsistency with projectile behavior after bouncing. This skill now applies torment for 5 seconds to the first target struck and confusion for 5 seconds on subsequent hits to enemies. Allies hit gain might for 5 seconds and fury for 3 seconds.
Chaos Armor: Reduced recharge to 25 seconds. This skill no longer applies a random condition to nearby foes when cast. Instead, it now applies blindness and confusion to nearby foes when cast.
Chaos Storm: Reduced recharge to 25 seconds in PvE only.
Mirage

Chaos Vortex (Staff Ambush): The projectile now only strikes enemies. Up to 10 nearby allies gain boons. The boons gained are now might (8 stacks, 15-second duration in PvE; 4 stacks, 6-second duration in PvP and WvW) and alacrity (3-second duration). (Note: Boons are applied near the mesmer only, not near clones.)

Yes and no for staff.

Yes, finally, staff is getting much needed upgrades, faster projectile, faster cast and not so long lock. Nice. More consistent effects too, makes it a condi weapon (so why are still power phantasms on staff 3???? - but ok, one thing at a time, they didn't only deal with mesmer stuff, let's give them a break for now). Might and fury for allies but like everything else with bouncing projectiles - you have no way of knowing who gets it making it generally useless when everyone else can reliably give might and not have to wonder who will get it. Can we target allies with it? Or at least let the projectile split, one for allies, other for enemies after the first hit so we consistently know they're getting might? What if the projectile bounces off 5 enemies when autoattacking? How am i giving might then? What about precasting might? Can i autoattack on spot and it'll bounce between allies? I mean, this is all just so sloppy when you think about it...

Staff Ambush

Did Mirage really need Alacrity? I mean, sure, making it more support friendly is a good thing, but that still only ever applies to PvE due to 1 dodge nerf. 6 second duration in WvW for 4 stacks of Might and 3 second Alacrity? Then i have to wait 10 seconds (ish, idk exactly how long) for my full endurance to regenrate and i can't dodge out of AOEs in the meantime? COME ON ANET, you're better than this!!! What the actual young cat! We'd need 3 dodges to make this useful and even then firebrands just give better might, and revs better alacrity. Cool, a boon share on dodge!

But how am i going to get out of all those AOES now? 🙄

I like the Chaos Armor and Chaos Storm changes though. Those were needed, and i can see a nifty use of Chaos armor in PvP and WvW roaming, so i'm happy about that.

The rest i'll just have to wait and see how they work, i'm not going to comment on those yet as i'm cautiously optimistic about the Chaos change.

Restorative mantras though? Another tradeoff we didn't need. But Anet doesn't want Mesmers to heal, so i guess, but why even have that trait then? Just replace it if you don't want us to heal.

• Like 2

I'm surprised kittennger time wasn't touched. 
Also surprised alacrity was given to mirages instead of to chrono on Lost Time...

StM + Time Warp changes were expected. StM should still be usable if you run some boon duration (~40-50%) but I think cQB will still be stronger.

Edited by Infusion.7149

36 minutes ago, Curunen.8729 said:

How come buff (s) plural (opposite of nerf) is censored on here? Kind of inconvenient.

lol, and mkittenive is censored. Seems a bit over zealous.

omg kittenters is also censored... Do we have to just call them F skills from now! :classic_laugh:

The reason why buff (s) is censored is the acronym one gets from the last 2 "f" s plus the "s".  Pretty overzealous, for sure!

• Like 3

Just now, Jijimuge.4675 said:

The reason why buff (s) is censored is the acronym one gets from the last 2 "f" s plus the "s".  Pretty overzealous, for sure!

Heh, I see now. Yeah I hope they sort this out a bit as makes writing anything a challenge!

On the topic of the patch, this might be a bit niche but the thing that bothers/worries me the most... is actually the sound effect from alacrity, haha. I was happy to escape this ringing in the ears when pof came, but now the prospect of having that on mirage... not sure how I feel about it from an audio perspective (usually am quite particular about in game audio effects and tend to base gameplay choices around audio that I like).

10 minutes ago, Armen.1483 said:

With the torment and staff changes maybe we could see some more condi chronos. New type of condi support chronos maybe ?

Confusion is still going to be the main source of DPS for condi chrono and I don't see why you would run it over mirage unless you play StM trait for quickness.

Without confusion the current benchmark is below 16K  , which is lower than CQB or condi RR.

Edited by Infusion.7149

12 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Ok i guess, but i don't get the displacing thing underwater, isn't that the point? I guess they're revamping stuff for water combat? Idk...

This is a strange one for sure, I mean it would be great if they could just have you blink a set distance in the direction of the cursor (given it's not possible to target specific distances as with ground targeting on land). Maybe they have something coming for EoD that puts this into context.

How much charges do we get? Cause 2 charges with weak AF effects aren't going to impress anyone. It's good that there's no charge though anymore. We'll see how this works, i'm interested.

I share the concern on mantras and hope they've been adjusted accordingly - eg the heal mantra charges are seriously weak on their own so hope that got some buff in the process.

And here we have a clkittenic "why is this a thing" "bruh" moment. Seriously? Was this bothering anyone? This was OP? Why is it bad if the player is displaced, i thought that was the point of those skills. Wouldn't it be better to displace the player and switch targeting to the clone? What are clones for if you're doing this type of "balancing"? Just remove them if we can't hide behind them. What even is this? A buff or a nerf? I'm confused.

Yeah I can see that a greater displacement and eg detarget effect like Mirror Images now has could be cool, though given how low cooldown scepter 2 is I can't see them putting any kind of target switch effect on that, though OH sword having the longer cooldown potentially could work. On the flipside I can hear the endless stream of complaining on the forum already :classic_laugh: - looking at the huge fuss that was given over axe 3 and IA which caused significant cooldown nerfs. Personally I always found that slight repositioning a bit annoying, and given that an enemy won't lose sight in this situation it seems like it will feel smoother for me, to just be a straight block+evade and clone summon.

But I do agree that when considering many more important changes (one dodge... seriously, how come this was not number 1 priority), it does seem like a strange choice to spend time on something like this which didn't really need changing.

Staff Ambush

Did Mirage really need Alacrity? I mean, sure, making it more support friendly is a good thing, but that still only ever applies to PvE due to 1 dodge nerf. 6 second duration in WvW for 4 stacks of Might and 3 second Alacrity? Then i have to wait 10 seconds (ish, idk exactly how long) for my full endurance to regenrate and i can't dodge out of AOEs in the meantime? COME ON ANET, you're better than this!!! What the actual young cat! We'd need 3 dodges to make this useful and even then firebrands just give better might, and revs better alacrity. Cool, a boon share on dodge!

But how am i going to get out of all those AOES now? 🙄

Just on this note I think between vigour+dodge food, and eg mirrors from false oasis, desert distortion, energy sigil and IA (among a few other things) should ensure a fairly decent access to cloak for ambush. Of course, don't know for sure until testing, but it could work out in practice.

• Like 1

Watch Mirage becoming better than Chronomancer at everything, even time-themed magic and boons.

What hurts me most of the Mesmer changes are the changes to Chronophantasma and Chaotic Transference.

Chronomancer was by no means over-performing in any content (except maybe raids), so they definitely didn't need that shave.

Chaotic Transference is perfectly fine as it is now.

I liked getting more Condition kittenmage out of my Dire/Trailblazer gear with Undead runes.

Just because top-end players don't use toughness on their gear doesn't mean they need to destroy that trait for everyone else.

And the profanity filter makes trying to read and write almost more of a chore than it's worth.

An option to disable the filter should have been the top priority of features to add.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3

May 11 Guild Wars 2 Skills and Balance Upkittente Preview - Professions - Guild Wars 2 Forums

Mesmer

Chronomancer has been steeply overperforming in a kittenmage role in all content, leading to an environment in which the best way to tackle almost any challenge is to throw more Chronomancers at it. On the other hand, Mirage hasn't been performing at the level we'd like it to; it's been relegated to a kittenmage role in only a few specific boss encounters in which confusion is particularly potent. With this upkittente, Mirage will see general improved performance from the change to the torment condition, with the option of using a reworked chaos specialization that will now better synergize for condition kittenmage and support builds. We're also creating a new possible boon support role for Mirages using the staff by changing Chaos Vortex (the staff's ambush skill) to grant might and alacrity to up to 10 allied targets.

• Deception (Downed Skill 2): This skill is now ground targeted while on land and no longer displaces the player when summoning a clone while underwater.
  • Arcane Thievery: This skill now requires a target to activate.
  • Time Warp: Reduced cooldown from 180 seconds to 120 seconds. Reduced duration from 10 seconds to 5 seconds. This skill now applies 1 second of quickness and slow per pulse, for a total of six pulses over a 5-second duration.
  • Mantras: Mantras no longer need to be prepared before use. They regenerate ammunition normally.

Sword

·         Illusionary Riposte: This skill no longer displaces the player when summoning a clone.

·         Illusionary Counter: This skill no longer displaces the player when summoning a clone.

Staff

·         Winds of Chaos: Increased projectile speed by 25%. Increased casting speed by 0.1 second. Lowered aftercast animation lock by 0.2 seconds. Fixed an inconsistency with projectile behavior after bouncing. This skill now applies torment for 5 seconds to the first target struck and confusion for 5 seconds on subsequent hits to enemies. Allies hit gain might for 5 seconds and fury for 3 seconds.

·         Chaos Armor: Reduced recharge to 25 seconds. This skill no longer applies a random condition to nearby foes when cast. Instead, it now applies blindness and confusion to nearby foes when cast.

·         Chaos Storm: Reduced recharge to 25 seconds in PvE only.

Mirage

• Chaos Vortex (Staff Ambush): The projectile now only strikes enemies. Up to 10 nearby allies gain boons. The boons gained are now might (8 stacks, 15-second duration in PvE; 4 stacks, 6-second duration in PvP and WvW) and alacrity (3-second duration). (Note: Boons are applied near the mesmer only, not near clones.)

Chronomancer

• kittennger Time: Removed the critical-kittenmage bonus.
  • Chronophantasma: Resummoned phantasm kittenmage is now 75% in PvE only.
  • Seize the Moment: Quickness duration per clone kittentered has been reduced from 1.5 seconds to 1 second in PvE only.

Chaos

• Illusionary Membrane: This trait has been reworked. While regenerating, condition kittenmage dealt is increased, and condition kittenmage taken is reduced by 10%.
  • Chaotic Persistence: This trait has been reworked. Gain concentration and expertise while regenerating.
  • Chaotic kittenmpening: This trait has been reworked and renamed Chaotic Potency.
    • Chaotic Potency: Gain condition kittenmage. Gain additional condition kittenmage while wielding a staff. Recharge of staff skills is reduced.
  • Chaotic Transference: This trait has been reworked. Chaos Armor grants 3 seconds of protection. Gain regeneration for 5 seconds with a 15-second cooldown when gaining protection.

Inspiration

• Restorative Mantras: Heal allies around you when activating a mantra. Reduced healing amount by 50%.

I wonder if this will help a lot for mes for pve anyone able to tell me just how much this would help?

The mantran changes they are talking about sound nice. Supposedly all charges are of equal strength and they are making it so that its more consisent.

Edited by Axl.8924
  • Like 1

Looks like they really wanna change mirage to a bruiser spec. I am very pessimistic here and say mirage will never gain its second dodge back, not after they introduced alacrity on this spec. And for real, alacrity on mirage? People are complaining that mirage is spamming clones and ports and they add lower cd? lol…

Well at least it looks like the new espec will not be a support spec. I couldn’t imagine having chrono for quickness, mirage for alacrity and the new spec for something else.

The torment change is also like hitting the profession with another 50% nerf. Core and Chrono Condi builds are getting what to compensate? Yes that’s right, nothing… and only because staff gets a 0,1 attack speed change and projectile speed change, is the over all change to torment on the first target and confusion on the second target a huge nerf to the Mesmer auto attack. Congrats staff is doing even less kittenmage…

all in all this patch nerfed every build I played in wvw as Mesmer even if they weren’t meta or anything, they just got nerfed while mirage got even more pkittenive.. lmao 

P.S. they just deleted the crit dmg on kittennger time. What. A. Joke.

Edited by Senqu.8054
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Curunen.8729 said:

This is a strange one for sure, I mean it would be great if they could just have you blink a set distance in the direction of the cursor (given it's not possible to target specific distances as with ground targeting on land). Maybe they have something coming for EoD that puts this into context.

Oh, neat, the new quoting system is dope! You can just insert breaks and it auto switches without losing subsequent quotes! Nice!

Anyway, yes, that's what i was thinking, maybe this is some preparation for EoD or something and if that's the case, interesting, i'm gonna wait and see where they go with this.

I share the concern on mantras and hope they've been adjusted accordingly - eg the heal mantra charges are seriously weak on their own so hope that got some buff in the process.

Yeah, but no notes about actually changing mantra effects, so i'm not even sure which effects stayed. The charge up effects or the "use" effects? If the use ones are left, then mantras are overall weaker now, especially with 50% less heals... Though heals now trigger on every use so ok i guess, it's not like the previous heal was OP, but if you can slot 3 mantras now and all heal on trigger, there could be an "ok" sustainy heal build somewhere in there.

Yeah I can see that a greater displacement and eg detarget effect like Mirror Images now has could be cool, though given how low cooldown scepter 2 is I can't see them putting any kind of target switch effect on that, though OH sword having the longer cooldown potentially could work. On the flipside I can hear the endless stream of complaining on the forum already :classic_laugh: - looking at the huge fuss that was given over axe 3 and IA which caused significant cooldown nerfs. Personally I always found that slight repositioning a bit annoying, and given that an enemy won't lose sight in this situation it seems like it will feel smoother for me, to just be a straight block+evade and clone summon.

But I do agree that when considering many more important changes (one dodge... seriously, how come this was not number 1 priority), it does seem like a strange choice to spend time on something like this which didn't really need changing.

Yeah, it's just such a weird addition and "fix" (is it??? what even is that?) that i wonder why they bothered to spend time on it. Anet give us our dodge back!!! But this again might be some "precursor" to future things so i'm going to shut up about it and wait and see.

Just on this note I think between vigour+dodge food, and eg mirrors from false oasis, desert distortion, energy sigil and IA (among a few other things) should ensure a fairly decent access to cloak for ambush. Of course, don't know for sure until testing, but it could work out in practice.

Maybe. But then they're balancing us around bukitten which we won't necesarily have instead like everyone else, around their core abilities. Which again - give us our dodge back! Then balance the food. Not us around the use of food.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Oh, neat, the new quoting system is dope! You can just insert breaks and it auto switches without losing subsequent quotes! Nice!

Anyway, yes, that's what i was thinking, maybe this is some preparation for EoD or something and if that's the case, interesting, i'm gonna wait and see where they go with this.

Yeah, but no notes about actually changing mantra effects, so i'm not even sure which effects stayed. The charge up effects or the "use" effects? If the use ones are left, then mantras are overall weaker now, especially with 50% less heals... Though heals now trigger on every use so ok i guess, it's not like the previous heal was OP, but if you can slot 3 mantras now and all heal on trigger, there could be an "ok" sustainy heal build somewhere in there.

Yeah, it's just such a weird addition and "fix" (is it??? what even is that?) that i wonder why they bothered to spend time on it. Anet give us our dodge back!!! But this again might be some "precursor" to future things so i'm going to shut up about it and wait and see.

Maybe. But then they're balancing us around bukitten which we won't necesarily have instead like everyone else, around their core abilities. Which again - give us our dodge back! Then balance the food. Not us around the use of food.

All i see are nerfs for mes unfortunately and mantra nerfs:

• Restorative Mantras: Heal allies around you when activating a mantra. Reduced healing amount by 50%.
Edited by Axl.8924

Just now, Axl.8924 said:

Yes, overall the Mesmer was nerfed again. Especially because of how torment works now. Cause everyone is standing still in WvW and PvP right?

This was a PvE upkittente, and not even that, it was a Raid upkittente, but they managed to mess up PvP and WvW in the process.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Oh I agree, the food should have been changed ages ago and instead do something about mirage endurance on the spec itself, not crutching on gear/consumables.

lol, I inserted quote boxes manually. 😆Need to learn the new system!

• Like 1

Just now, Veprovina.4876 said:

Yes, overall the Mesmer was nerfed again. Especially because of how torment works now. Cause everyone is standing still in WvW and PvP right?

This was a PvE upkittente, and not even that, it was a Raid upkittente, but they managed to mess up PvP and WvW in the process.

I can’t imagine how they wanna balance this out. While torment is getting a HUGE buff in PvE it went totally useless in PvP. Sure they can split between the game modes but I don’t see how they wanna buff torment to be viable 

• Like 2

I like the tourment change, from a PvE standpoint that very good, for people like me who don't play in viper it will help to kill thing faster, cuz atm, even if fun to play, it's a bit slow sometime.

Staff change look interesting, loking forward to try new build

3 minutes ago, Axl.8924 said:

IIRC, doesn't Restorative Mantras currently only trigger on the current "charging" mantra skill (i.e. when preparing the mantra)?

If it becomes a trait that activates on the use of a charge, then that's a relevant difference and one can't just write it off as a 50% nerf - it should mean that one will be triggering it more often (on the whole), albeit for less healing in each packet?

2 minutes ago, Jijimuge.4675 said:

IIRC, doesn't Restorative Mantras currently only trigger on the current "charging" mantra skill (i.e. when preparing the mantra)?

If it becomes a trait that activates on the use of a charge, then that's a relevant difference and one can't just write it off as a 50% nerf - it should mean that one will be triggering it more often (on the whole), albeit for less healing in each packet?

if Mantra of pain had a 2s cd and now has a 10s cd on recharge it is more then a 50% nerf…it just got deleted 

• Like 1