Guild Wars 2 Live: Summer 2021

11 hours ago, noviiparen.8163 said:

Hello everyone! 

On May 25, the Living World Seasons free giveaway campaign starts. In this regard, the players of free accounts have a question: will the seasons be unlocked on free accounts? Let's say I started playing during the promotional weeks, and in July I buy a game. Will I have the seasons of the Living World unlocked for free? Or in order to open them, I need to buy the game before the start of the promotion?

Since they havent said anything, I can only assume it works like normal living story unlocks and that work on free accounts yes.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 12:37 PM, noviiparen.8163 said:

Hello everyone! 

On May 25, the Living World Seasons free giveaway campaign starts. In this regard, the players of free accounts have a question: will the seasons be unlocked on free accounts? Let's say I started playing during the promotional weeks, and in July I buy a game. Will I have the seasons of the Living World unlocked for free? Or in order to open them, I need to buy the game before the start of the promotion?

Yes and depends. Meaning - yes, f2p accounts can unlock for free current LS episodes (as well as any additional episodes offered for unlock for logging in) - there has already been one such campaign before, so it's 99% certain to work this way again. On the other hand, to actually play such unlocked episode, you may need to buy an expansion. LS3 areas are considered to be part of Heart of Thorns, so you need that expansion to play them. Similar with LS4 and Path of Fire. LS5 also requires PoF. LS2 however does not require any expansion, and, as such, can be played by an f2p account after getting unlocked.

(Season 1 is no longer accessible to anyone, though, as it was a time-limited event)

Edited by Astralporing.1957
added info about LS1
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 6:24 PM, Touchme.1097 said:

Thank you for the balance update of the 11th of May patch. 

I am very unhappy to experience toxicity on all game modes due to the current Meta builds, there is no escape from the toxicity that the current Meta is enabling right now, especially in PvE modes where a big chunk of the GW2 players are obsessed with a limited amount of builds they see as Meta on websites like Snowcrows or LN. I don't like to see Meta builds as a requirement to play a game mode because it's not inclusive and it's not fair on players who play certain professions or specializations that are currently not performing as well as the current Meta.

Joining different guilds doesn't solve this issue, it's a thing that has been going on for too long and I would be very happy to see constant changes on profession balance in order to discourage players from limiting squad slots being exclusively reserved to few Meta builds that significantly outperform the rest like power Chrono. Raiders often confuse speed clear with raid clear, I am sure the shift of constant balance will be healthy for the game.

There will always be Meta-builds because there will always be (some) builds that work the best (for specific situations).

• 2 weeks later...

Small backstory: I started a course in October of 2020 that was to last until April of this year. That demanded a ton of my time and I was, until then, playing GW2 a bit each day between 1-2 hours, usually getting my dailies from WvW and doing an occasional DRM. As things went on, I saw the shifts in the game towards more DRMs as the [perceived] crunch for EoD became more apparent. We rolled right through to this point after the finale and all the tumult of that release. It was a flashback to sitting in the Silverwastes, but I have a memory enjoying SW much more. I can't quite place why.

I know there are still quite a few things to play for in game, but I don't seem to get excited for cosmetics - which appear to be the continued bulk of what's released. I'm more excited for the experiences I'll have, meaning how I will interact with the game. New specializations, maps (PvE, PvP, and WvW), new foes to fight, new narrative, new systems (wardrobe, templates, mounts, etc), and other improvements that are part of experiences not appearances. As a result of lacking new experiences, I have simply been putting GW2 on the backburner while I get other things in order. Some small career tweaks, writing up my D&D campaign [porting GW2 raids into my D&D boss encounters 😉], and other important things.

Now here we are, about to see a hopeful dump of players into the game since Season 2 is about to be replayable and free to pick up, but I don't see Anet marketing too hard beyond banner adds on websites. Yet,  I don't recall ever seeing a GW2 commercial on YT or any other video format in recent history, although the news of EoD has been making limited rounds online within the greater MMO community.

Anyone who's ever played any MMO can tell you what I'm about to say. It's very hard to convince your IRL friends to play it, though I have had limited success over the years. However, they weren't with the franchise since inception - or close to it - so they don't have the same nostalgia for it. As an example, many of my friends who did play are waiting for WvW to be updated since that was their main format. I am a rare player who is invested in PvE, WvW, and sPvP [though nowadays to a lesser extent for PvP due to stagnation].

Even after the finale of IBS I remain excited for EoD since my favorite moments of enjoying GW2 were always when I had new experiences to interact with. I simply lament that this... reactionary? Slow? I don't know... piecemeal? Approach to moving forward has done a great deal in tempering my participation in daily GW2 when I would rather retain my enthusiasm. I'm basically hoping for something profound in July, but I really don't know what to expect. And this time, rather than being excited, I'm a bit worried. Well, perhaps I waffle between the two emotions depending on the day! 

What are some of your thoughts on these many topics?