Please revert Speed of Shadows....

Zietlogik.6208

Previous:

Increases movement speed while in shroud. Reduces recharge on shroud.

Miscellaneous effect.png Movement speed increase: 25%
 Count Recharge.png Recharge Reduced: 30%

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current: 

Entering shroud grants swiftness and removes movement-impairing conditions

Swiftness.png Swiftness (10s): 33% Movement Speed
 Crippled.png Condition Removed
 Chilled.png Condition Removed
 Immobile.png Condition Removed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movespeed: The amount of hoops that need to be jumped through to get a slight bit of movespeed (usually fully dedicated to runes, doesnt leave much room for variety in build creation)

Cooldown: The fluidity of using shroud as a "stance dance" on the 7 second cooldown was smooth and felt natural, but 7 seconds may be too short. The current 10 second CD feels fairly clunky. Honestly, even lowering to 9 seconds would probably feel alright (then it would still match with Sigil cooldowns, and have less of a "fish out of water" feel when you enter or exit shroud.)

Edited by Zietlogik.6208
new forums dont like copy paste

Reverting it would be a nerf in the current state of the game. Movement impairing conditions are all over the place and additionally the necro survivability became stronger with the overal damage nerf, so there is no real need for a lower shroud cooldown.

A revert would result in the following:

Necro would become extremely weak to any kind of movement impairing conditon (chill, cripple, immob), while it would be too strong in terms of raw damage mitigation due to the lower cooldown of shroud.

So either necro would become even more of a punching bag, but an incredibly (not fun to play against!) tanky one or they would have to rework the class, which means nerf life force generation (to weaken the lower shroud cooldown effect) but add anti cc mechanics elsewhere.

Long story short:

A revert would mess things up as hell.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Like 2

I wasn't playing when the older version of Speed of Shadows existed. Gong to 7s CD would be amazing- to the point where it is hardly a minor trait. I would use a GM trait slot for that. So I can't see a reversion to that happening anytime soon.

Many necros use this trait in PvP where the condition removal and the speed are both huge benefits. In open world, there are few cases where this is a useful trait. (any champion spider, like the one in the Ascalon Catacombs dungeon) It can be pretty good for core necros that want to kite in shroud. But otherwise, it's likely not getting much use outside of PvP.

The old SoS was for an obsolete version of Necro that had less access to faster movement speed. It is not needed anymore with newer versions of Quickening Thirst, Signet of the Locust, updated runes and mounts. Old Necro was very slow so Speed of Shadows was a bandage.

The new version fits a valuable niche because the number of sills in the game with conditions and control effects to lock down a Necro seem to have grown over the years. Also, Necro had no Swiftness in the past so it is nice to have it.

ANet never reverts anything.  Ever.  Even the abhorrent, horrible decisions which break the game for the most part.

Old SoS was an absolute monster of a trait in the right hands as the 7s ICD fundamentally changed how you could play necro, especially Reaper.  It was one of the best traits in SR for the competitive modes.

Unfortunately due to the existence of Scourge and how insanely tanky core necro still is, it can't be undone as it once was.

Really, if they want to open up more possibilities with Reaper, putting shroud at 7s would be a reasonable compromise.  Spite can offer the movespeed with SoS and SotL which are both stronger traits than people realize.

Anyone who thinks the new SOS is better has not played reaper at high level in wvw or pvp. This trait needs to be reverted, at least in competitive modes, and it’s the number one change that needs to be made. I hope you’re listening ANET. Talk to some of your senior necro players who have played since launch timeframe. This needs to happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'd like to fight your old SoS reaper with a new SoS speed rune reaper, that can apply swiftness every few seconds while you are stuck on 30s warhorn and 50s spectral walk swiftness sources and your laughable +25% movement speed increase.

2 boonstrips and you are a freekill.

Immob covered in 3 cover condis and you are a freekill.

You live in the past.

SoS used to be good when shroudburst was a thing, because chill of death, spiteful spirit, chilling nova and stuff shroudbursts could oneshot targets every few seconds. These traits have seen hardnerfs. The whole concept behind reaper2k15 does not exist anymore.

Mobility is key these days and 25% of movement speed is a joke when you can't cleanse all that immob, crippe, chill, that each class has access to since PoF.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 10:42 AM, KrHome.1920 said:

I'd like to fight your old SoS reaper with a new SoS speed rune reaper, that can apply swiftness every few seconds while you are stuck on 30s warhorn and 50s spectral walk swiftness sources and your laughable +25% movement speed increase.

2 boonstrips and you are a freekill.

Immob covered in 3 cover condis and you are a freekill.

You live in the past.

SoS used to be good when shroudburst was a thing, because chill of death, spiteful spirit, chilling nova and stuff shroudbursts could oneshot targets every few seconds. These traits have seen hardnerfs. The whole concept behind reaper2k15 does not exist anymore.

Mobility is key these days and 25% of movement speed is a joke when you can't cleanse all that immob, crippe, chill, that each class has access to since PoF.

In the 3 seconds your stuck waiting for shroud, i'm already 1,1,1ing you in shroud.

7 second cd compared to 10, is a nearly 33% more efficient shroud uptime mechanic...and you want swiftness one of the most common boons in the game and a condi removal aka spectral walk. Do you really think that's better then 33% more shroud uptime, which is equivelent to 33% more sustain and more damage?

lmao

1 hour ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

In the 3 seconds your stuck waiting for shroud, i'm already 1,1,1ing you in shroud.

Sure you are because you have no issues cleansing the cripple and chill covered in vuln and blind and the other corrupted boons the moment you enter shrout and can keep up the pace with ease ... oh wait.

Everyone with swiftness just applies a movement impairing condition and kites you. Not even to mention speed rune!

Did you even read my posting? The issue is you can't get rid of soft cc on entering shroud. Have you ever did smalscale without speed of shadows (new) against encounters with a brain? These will completely shut you down.

Rev: chill spam, ele: chill spam, ranger: immob spam, teef: steals your long cooldown swiftness... even cripple spamming scourges will destroy you. And being beaten by a scourge is the most embarrassing thing posible for a reaper.

I've played a few hundred hours with non-soulreaping reaper since feb2020 and this is not viable anymore for one reason: soft cc hardcounters you! You lack the burst since that damage nerf and have too stick to your target, which is not possible without SoS (new version).

edit: fixed most of the typos...

Edited by KrHome.1920

6 minutes ago, KrHome.1920 said:

Sure you are because you have no issues cleansing the cripple and chill covered in vuln and blind and the other corrupted boons the moent you enter shrout and can keep up the pace with ease ... oh wait.

Everyone with swiftness just applies a movement impairing condition and kites you.

Did you even read my posting? The issue is you can't get rid of soft cc on entering shroud. Have you ever did smalscale without speed of shadows (new) against encounters with a brain? These will completely shut you down.

Rev: chill spam, ele: chill spam, ranger: immob spam, teef: steals your long cooldown swiftness...

You have like 15 different ways on necromancer to deal with conditions, especially soft CC's...we only had 1 shroud CD reduction mechanic and it's gone now...so that we can have 16 different ways to deal with conditions.

Just kind of shows how narrowminded your build-craft is.

When i solo-roamed on reaper years ago, I made a build that was actually 100% immune to CC conditions, with no SoS.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2021 at 8:54 PM, DeceiverX.8361 said:

ANet never reverts anything.  Ever.  Even the abhorrent, horrible decisions which break the game for the most part.

Old SoS was an absolute monster of a trait in the right hands as the 7s ICD fundamentally changed how you could play necro, especially Reaper.  It was one of the best traits in SR for the competitive modes.

Unfortunately due to the existence of Scourge and how insanely tanky core necro still is, it can't be undone as it once was.

Really, if they want to open up more possibilities with Reaper, putting shroud at 7s would be a reasonable compromise.  Spite can offer the movespeed with SoS and SotL which are both stronger traits than people realize.

wrong they reverted mesmer changes before