Don't buy gem cards from gameliebe

There’s also a Thread on the Gw2 Reddit Talking about this. Seems like everyone there got their keys by now.

I myself ordered a pretty big amount of keys but didn’t receive them at first too. I called customer support, which told me that I'd prove my identity by either calling from my home-phone (idk how that’s called, but you know, the phone that’s not my mobile) which I unfortunately don’t have or by sending the heading of an invoice of my internet provider for example, or something else to prove my identity. After doing so, I received all of my ordered keys.

It seems like they have been flooded by orders which they didn’t expect. I don’t blame them, they always replied in a nice tone and considering the amount of orders they had just by reading this topic, I just think they didn’t expect that much orders. I would rather blame anet for net setting up enough alternatives, especially for those English speaking folks.

7 minutes ago, Felix.9127 said:

[...]

It seems like they have been flooded by orders which they didn’t expect. I don’t blame them, they always replied in a nice tone and considering the amount of orders they had just by reading this topic, I just think they didn’t expect that much orders. I would rather blame anet for net setting up enough alternatives, especially for those English speaking folks.

Well, if they asked me I could have told them that a lot of orders would be placed. It has been two years since gem cards were widely available in Europe. All major retailers listed at the Guild Wars 2 support site have had zero stock for years.

And unofficial gem card sellers were asking crazy prices. At the same time, many players have various problems buying gems in the DigitalRiver in-game store.

So, when there are finally new and officially endorsed resellers of gem cards and they are at a discount as well, you could have expected a great demand.

Just to say I ordered 3 cards from them this afternoon and got them 1hr later. No request for ID. They do seem legit. Does sound like they were just overwhelmed.

I don't understand why Anet did not pick some bigger retailers to handle this. Particularly bad that they were claiming a retailer promoted in their own announcement was "unauthorized". That's unforgivable!

• Like 2

I guess it is super hard to just check their official facebook website where they clarified the situation. 

Personally, kudos to A.Net to choose lesser known retailers and giving them a chance. It's weird that everyone assumes that every store that isn't amazon is immediately shady, that's kinda scary tbh. Amazon is a bad company and everyone should try to avoid it as much as possible. 

3 hours ago, kokiman.2364 said:

I guess it is super hard to just check their official facebook website where they clarified the situation. 

Personally, kudos to A.Net to choose lesser known retailers and giving them a chance. It's weird that everyone assumes that every store that isn't amazon is immediately shady, that's kinda scary tbh. Amazon is a bad company and everyone should try to avoid it as much as possible. 

I don't see anything at the GW2 facebook about the delays in gem card code deliveries. But maybe you only see it when you register/login a facebook account, which I have not.

6 hours ago, kokiman.2364 said:

OK, so I don't disagree. Supporting smaller retailers over the monolith that is Amazon could well be a good thing. But then they absolutely need to underwrite those sales. Turning round and calling them "unauthorized" and even suggesting they may be operating unlawfully does neither the customer nor the retailer any favors!

Edited by Jong.5937
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I don't see anything at the GW2 facebook about the delays in gem card code deliveries. But maybe you only see it when you register/login a facebook account, which I have not.

Obviously I meant the gamesliebe facebook page. 

9 minutes ago, Jong.5937 said:

OK, so I don't disagree. Supporting smaller retailers over the monolith that is Amazon could well be a good thing. But then they absolutely need to underwrite those sales. Turning round and calling them "unauthorized" and even suggesting they may be operating unlawfully does neither, does neither the customer nor the retailer any favors!

I've personally never worked in customer support but I am pretty sure that the guys on the front simply didn't receive an updated list of "legit" sellers. 

A.Net and PR rarely goes well together....

My opinion is: The shop looks trustworthy, the payment methods they offer are legit and for the most part allow chargebacks. The main problem though is that people like the OP forgot that these stores, for the most part, are operated by human beings that also might want to enjoy a weekend or might not be able to solve supply issues in a matter of a few hours on a (in germany) national holiday. 

• Like 1

Yep, I bought from one of them very happily and got my codes in a very acceptable amount of time. But it was handled badly.

ANet should have put some words around the list of resellers that gave people confidence that these resellers, whose names will be unfamiliar to most, were to be trusted and no one in support should be literally slandering those same companies, selling their products, without being sure of their facts.

Edited by Jong.5937

I bought 3 Gemcards at Gameliebe yesterday evening. But through their EBAY store.

They were all delivered within 1 hour. All 3 Codes were in one  Email , I just needed to activate them in the gemstore.

Btw: They sent the codes to my PayPal Email, not my Ebay Email Adress.

3 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Just a small warning: Gameliebe now charges EUR 25.00 for a gem card, which is not the discounted price of EUR 20.00.

Yep, yes there are some words on the page saying the discounted cards have all been sold due to unexpectedly high demand. Glad I got my order in yesterday!

• Like 1

I’m glad everyone seemed to have gotten their codes!

It’s fairly suspicious that Gameliebe prematurely ends the sale by accusing ArenaNet of not providing them with enough codes, thus unable to “keep up with demand” but have no problem selling codes at full price. If they actually did sell out and restock codes, that means ArenaNet was able to quickly send them more… so what exactly is the problem? Why not continue the sale? I think Gameliebe is just bowing out before they get any more bad reviews/press and shifting the blame to someone else. Even if they really can’t handle the load, it’s still sad they have to resort to finger-pointing instead of accepting full responsibility.

Judging by everyone’s issues, Gameliebe has a pretty poor system for both sending out codes and dealing with customer service. Whatever the reason, I definitely would avoid them from now on.

I can’t believe customer service didn’t know it was a retailer mentioned in an ongoing sale either, regardless if it was approved or not… I mean… really? 😓 /facepalm

Maybe ArenaNet can't just provide them with an unlimited amount of discounted codes. Probably also NCSoft is involved directly. And they also might have made arrangements that the card sellers provide a bit of the discount. (Meaning ArenaNet does not the whole 20 percent but also the story where you buy it loses a bit.) Because the store also gets a bit of promotion/advertisement from this.

Then of course the store would be able to set a limit on how much they wanted to offer.