What do you think About the Future of Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 Expectations  

188 members have voted

1. 1. After the Ending of the Saga what do you think the Expansion "End of Dragons" must be?

• It will definitely be the Best Expansion Ever
    • There's a chance for this Expansion to be Great
    • This Expansion Better be Good or I Quit
    • After this Ending i don't really care about the expansion

I don't think Cantha in EoD will somehow be well created just because ANet also made GW1. Company undertook massive changes throughout the years. It's quite nice that some of the members of this community have fond memories from the prequel, but sadly it has no bearing on how next expansion in GW2 will turn out to be. Seeing how some treat it like second coming of Jesus, it's worrying. Judging by quality of IBS it's rather the opposite. 

On 5/8/2021 at 11:53 AM, Dami.5046 said:

They already butchered the canthan story because they were too woke and didn't want to do it. It was said at the start they 'had no plans' to go there and took the area out of DR. Maybe they will finally give it it's rightful home.

You have to be honest, the bar is pretty low at present, it would have to very very bad not to be better. 

For infos 

I, for one are very happy they back tracked as i loved cantha. It's a shame most of it will probably be in the sea and it will look quite different. But we are going there that's the main thing.

Having said that i think they are bored, there is no passion any more.

The not doing chanta story had nothing to do with woke though, it was pure unadulterated capitalism that did that (investors etc.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

The not doing chanta story had nothing to do with woke though, it was pure unadulterated capitalism that did that (investors etc.)

Quite so. I often wondered why they had been 'allowed' cantha in the first place if it was going to upset people. Obviously those people weren't around back in the day.  

I agree with the above posters that certain parts of Cantha wouldn't look the same, but luckily for me my favourite part was the kurzick side and hopefully the forest is still there.  

On 5/1/2021 at 4:05 AM, Akethon.5108 said:

I play Guild Wars since the very first and the story as been always good and engaging. But Since Guild Wars 2 release it seems the story went to the background it does not seem to be important anymore. So many things that could have been done, and all we get is rushed versions of story. 

I created this poll because i don't know if i will continue playing GW2. It all depends of the expansion coming. But this means that my expectations are too high. So you see my dilema. I have been playing GW with my friends and i have made new friends withing the game. I have been playing this game for almost 20 years and now i thinking on stopping because of the state of the game. 

Let me know if you share my concern for the Game. And enjoy, at least while you can.

Im much the same as you, in honesty It depends on the E-specs. If they give me something good I'll buy it but outside of those the rest of the expansion is likely going to be lukewarm for me. I started in cantha and I know they wont do it justice, it wont be that place that enthralled me so deeply. It will be weeaboo land. Nartuo simulation and anime references galor and it will not be anything I enjoy.

I dont care about the maps, masteries or suto progression that is likely to be there. If the E-specs are good and at least three or so of them grab me Ill buy it for them. If its less than three then I think its time to walk away, as right now its gameplay that matters as the lore and story has been garbo for a while and after they shafted the stories (Both of them) I was most into with primo and jormag Im kinda... left with "Well you botched that, I no longer have faith in you..."

I feel the same way many feel about blizzard about A-net right now, I grew up in tyria and I've subsequently watched them dismantle and ruin everything I loved about it. Im not looking forward to watching them do it to cantha.

• Like 3

Dragons are cool in theory, in concept, in lore.

In reality, it's hard to make a big dragon fight, and people will always be disappointed.

Human-sized foes always lead to better in-game encounters, and to less cheesy stories as well. I'm hyped for the lore of End of Dragons, and all the expansions to come.

I keep trying to figure out what the next big thing will be. The thing that people will get excited for. Something that most people wouldn't guess.

So for me for this next xpac the next big thing better be good and it better not just be new specializations and maps. I could care less about lore. Lore takes a backseat to playability because if it is not fun to play then there is a good chance that people will not see that content.  

My shot in the dark guess is that the new xpac will bring a Mount Combat and equipment/weapon system for mounts. Where all of the  mastery skills we have currently would be our "out of combat moves" vs a whole new set of "combat moves" when in combat. This way each mount could have its own legendary items (gen 3) with its own legendary effects when mounted.

• Like 1

Anet hasn't released a bad expansion yet, imho, and living world was chugging along nicely until Icebrood saga. That said, Icebrood saga isn't really a fair representation of Anet's skill or talent, since it's pretty clear it was rushed out the door.

Rather than focusing on whether or not the expansions will be good, since, y'know Anet have a track record for producing good expansions... we should focus on making sure Anet knows we don't want another icebrood saga: champions

Edited by Westenev.5289

3 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

Anet hasn't released a bad expansion yet, imho, and living world was chugging along nicely until Icebrood saga. That said, Icebrood saga isn't really a fair representation of Anet's skill or talent, since it's pretty clear it was rushed out the door.

Rather than focusing on whether or not the expansions will be good, since, y'know Anet have a track record for producing good expansions... we should focus on making sure Anet knows we don't want another icebrood saga: champions

You forget one essential thing: a large part of the arena team is not the same as it was during HOT and POF.

And i really felt it during this saga, i no longer feel the same soul, the same atmosphere, it's hard to describe. I have been plaing guild wars 1 and 2 since the beginning and i have never felt so little interest for the story.

Cantha was perfect on gw1, i am really afraid they will destroy the image i had of this continent...
I hope the will prove me wrong.

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, radda.8920 said:

You forget one essential thing: a large part of the arena team is not the same as it was during HOT and POF.

And i really felt it during this saga, i no longer feel the same soul, the same atmosphere, it's hard to describe. I have been plaing guild wars 1 and 2 since the beginning and i have never felt so little interest for the story.

Cantha was perfect on gw1, i am really afraid they will destroy the image i had of this continent...
I hope the will prove me wrong.

I mean, the lws5 prologue and Visions of Steel was perfect. You have to give them credit for that, if nothing else. Drizzlewood would also be a personal favourite, but it's waaaaaaayyyyy too long from start to claw of jormag.

In short, I don't think IBS was a total trainwreck, and honestly believe if it weren't for the expansion being prepared when it was, I believe IBS could have had a more satisfying ending.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Westenev.5289 said:

I mean, the lws5 prologue and Visions of Steel was perfect. You have to give them credit for that, if nothing else. Drizzlewood would also be a personal favourite, but it's waaaaaaayyyyy too long from start to claw of jormag.

In short, I don't think IBS was a total trainwreck, and honestly believe if it weren't for the expansion being prepared when it was, I believe IBS could have had a more satisfying ending.

The prologue was good enough yes, good map and the vison of the past was boring for me sorry....

Drizzlewood is one of the worst things i have seen in guild wars for 16 years (  along with DRM). In terms of events, it boild down to follow a bus and spam 1, bosses don't move, horrible sponge without any mechanics. I literraly fell asleep on my keyboard. And the Claw of jormag that  was presented by arena as a complicated boss end in 3 minutes with almost nothing to do ^^'

I find it hard to understand how someone can like it, it's the opposite of fun for me.

As for the story, they totally wiped out all the charr lore, it was very very bad...the most ridiculous dialogues, i have seen in game..

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, radda.8920 said:

The prologue was good enough yes, good map and the vison of the past was boring for me sorry....

Drizzlewood is one of the worst things i have seen in guild wars for 16 years (  along with DRM). In terms of events, it boild down to follow a bus and spam 1, bosses don't move, horrible sponge without any mechanics. I literraly fell asleep on my keyboard. And the Claw of jormag that  was presented by arena as a complicated boss end in 3 minutes with almost nothing to do ^^'

I find it hard to understand how someone can like it, it's the opposite of fun for me.

As for the story, they totally wiped out all the charr lore, it was very very bad...the most ridiculous dialogues, i have seen in game..

Honestly, if Visions of Steel is boring for you and the prologue was "good enough", I have to wonder what kind of metric, nostalgia or update you're comparing these to...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

Honestly, if Visions of Steel is boring for you and the prologue was "good enough", I have to wonder what kind of metric, nostalgia or update you're comparing these to...

HOT(a masterpiece, just perfect ) , living story 3 and POF 

Best parts of the game for me.. Even some moments with joko during ls 4 but he was killed far too soon. 

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hope Guild Wars 2 continues on and we get more expansions and content after EoD. Why do games like WoW get to keep going and going but everyone expects GW2 should come to an end?

But on the other hand. stretching a project out infinitely isn't always the best thing. Many TV shows were great in their first few seasons but lost their way the longer they went out. Sometimes it's just better to end things on a high note, and move onto a new project.

I would be sad if GW2 was finished, development wise. But I would accept it nonetheless. And I'd still play it while also eagerly anticipate what's next for Guild Wars as a franchise.

I don't care much about IBS, I already knew that ANet couldn't tell a good story. Living Story was always a disaster in my eyes. 

I do think they do a fantastic job with the open world, fractals, and raids and imo this is where resources should go. 

With Lost Ark Western release around the corner, and then D4 sometime next year, EoD has to hit it out of the park for me to keep playing GW2. Their mismanagement of resources has been very disappointing, and I'm rooting for ANet to pick it back up. But I don't have very high hopes.

On 5/1/2021 at 11:48 AM, Rose Solane.1027 said:

I don't think there are long term plans for Guild Wars 2. To me it seems the plan with EoD is to get as much players paying for the expansion and then stop with development. And hope players continue to buy gems for as long as possible.

If am not so sure about long term plans for the franchise. I hope there will be another game in the franchise and that it will be a new MMORPG. But that seems really unlikely.

But I could be completely wrong. Guild Wars 2 should have died after Season 4 and at that moment a new game should have been announced by ArenaNet. But NCSoft interfered and kicked out a lot of developers, stopped all projects, and forced ArenaNet to continue with the development of Guild Wars 2. But ArenaNet did not have a plan to continue Guild Wars 2 and the results are currently seen.

This is more or less also my opinion. Unless EoD far surpasses player and financial expectations and suddenly refreshes GW2 as an un-abandonable moneymaker, I get the feeling that it will mark the beginning of the end for this product. Deroir referred to it potentially as a "sunset" xpac, which is a great way to put it. Nothing is stopping it from being great, but at the same time it could be the last major game refresh and it winds down into maintenance mode afterwards.

The one thing I disagree with is that GW2 should have ended after S4. That would essentially mean the end of ANet imo, because as far as we know none of the side projects came to fruition. If NCSoft came and told ANet to end GW2, they'd basically be shuttering the studio at that point when there's still some real money to be made (at least it looks hat way) on the product. 

• Like 1

I'm excited. I think HOT was better than core and I think POF was better than HOT so if they continue that trend we are in good business here. Sure the icebrood saga didn't go as planned but there are other living world season episodes that did not do well in every season. There are parts of icebrood saga that did very well so we know the capability is there. Will every piece of the expansion nail the landing? of course not that is too high a bar to set. will parts of it be awesome? of course, there is no way the entire thing fails. Where on the spectrum will it fall? no idea but I am naturally optimistic about basically everything in life so I think they will do a pretty good job here.